NATION

PASSWORD

The Zimmerman Files..

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I think..

..he was guilty and he should not do this
62%
..he was not guilty but he still shouldn't do this
19%
..he was guilty but he should do this
3%
..he was not guilty and should totally do this
17%

Total votes : 113

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Gormwood wrote:The thread should be The Zimmerman Files: White or Not?

Well given how racial this controversy was, a lot of melts away if Zimmerman isn't white, doesn't it?
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
If someone can think you're white, you pass for white. I always thought he was white (and I'm not the only one). Therefore, he passes for white.

I'm white, and there's plenty about him that indicated he was white. That's the definition of white passing.

Hair color =/= skin-darkening makeup.

Try again.

So have I.

As a white person, I think I'd know a thing or two about who can and cannot pass for white.

Only if you failed so hard at reading comprehension that you never learned what "predominantly" means.

The difference between you and me is that I'm a white Hispanic and have more experience with the cultural and racial nuances between Latin Americans. Absolutely nobody in Latin America would seriously consider George Zimmerman to be white passing. You trying to tell me that he's passing, when he clearly isn't by any standard, is ridiculous. Just because you're a white American that's spent time around Latinos doesn't mean shit.

Te lo digo en serio: Zimmerman jamas seria considerado blanco en cualquier país de America Latina, mucho menos en los Estados Unidos.

The question isn't whether hispanics and latinos (American or not) would consider him white passing, but whether your typical white American would. What determines white passing isn't the opinions of POC, but white people, because white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, as it currently stands.

To clarify, I do not at all think that's a good thing. However, that matters in the context of this discussion.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Grenartia wrote:
As a white person, I think I'd know a thing or two about who can and cannot pass for white.

As someone with eyes it seems like you can't. Luis CK is a white passing hispanic, Zimmerman is just hispanic.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Grenartia wrote:The question isn't whether hispanics and latinos (American or not) would consider him white passing, but whether your typical white American would. What determines white passing isn't the opinions of POC, but white people, because white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, as it currently stands.

To clarify, I do not at all think that's a good thing. However, that matters in the context of this discussion.

It's so cool how you're arguing your skin color makes your opinion more important.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Cantelo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cantelo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Cantelo wrote:

The difference between you and me is that I'm a white Hispanic and have more experience with the cultural and racial nuances between Latin Americans. Absolutely nobody in Latin America would seriously consider George Zimmerman to be white passing. You trying to tell me that he's passing, when he clearly isn't by any standard, is ridiculous. Just because you're a white American that's spent time around Latinos doesn't mean shit.

Te lo digo en serio: Zimmerman jamas seria considerado blanco en cualquier país de America Latina, mucho menos en los Estados Unidos.

The question isn't whether hispanics and latinos (American or not) would consider him white passing, but whether your typical white American would. What determines white passing isn't the opinions of POC, but white people, because white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, as it currently stands.

If white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, then I fit the bill. Both parents are Spaniards straight outta Europe, I'm pale, I have colored eyes. Naturally my parents and I associate with Latin Americans because there aren't a lot of Spaniards laying around in the US.

So, with the power of Eurotrash whiteness vested in me, I can still say with confidence that Zimmerman ain't fucking white.

EDIT: oops, I meant "white-passing" but my point still stands.
Last edited by Cantelo on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever a Pilgrim; Oviedo - Santiago de Compostela 370km
Kingdom of Cantelo - Reín de Cantelo - Regne de Cantelo - Reialme de Cantelo
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo
I like making flags for fun, shoot me a telegram if you’d like one made!
Spanish-American college student with an addiction to sushi. Political Compass

Samadhi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

If white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, then I fit the bill. Both parents are Spaniards straight outta Europe, I'm pale, I have colored eyes. Naturally my parents and I associate with Latin Americans because there aren't a lot of Spaniards laying around in the US.

So, with the power of Eurotrash whiteness vested in me, I can still say with confidence that Zimmerman ain't fucking white.

Didn't he kill a black person, because that sounds like something white people do.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Samadhi wrote:
Cantelo wrote:

Didn't he kill a black person, because that sounds like something white people do.

No, he got away with killing a black person, because that sounds..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Hair color =/= skin-darkening makeup.

Try again.

Are you that tone deaf to deny that Brad Pitt's costume in a movie includes makeup? Sheesh do we have to spell it out for you?

Brad Pitt on a regular day:

Brad Pitt in costume for a movie:

Brad Pitt in the same movie:

The claim isn't whether or not he had makeup (clearly, that noose mark proves he did). The claim is whether or not his skin was artificially-darkened for the role. Considering the absolute lack of controversy I can find (or even recall) over it, I'm going to demand proof he had skin-darkening makeup.

Grenartia wrote:
Only if you failed so hard at reading comprehension that you never learned what "predominantly" means.

How is "racist America" (whatever that is)

Racist America is obviously the section of America that is racist. Duh.

predominately white America?

Most Americans are white (77%, per the last census). Therefore, most racists are also going to be white.

Are the majority of racists in America white? How is this measured? Do white people commit the most hate crimes? What about once you control for population? Are white people more likely to be racist than non-whites?

Yes.

You can't just say things absurd and expect people to take your word for it.

Don't take my word for it. Take the FBI's word for it:

Bear Stearns wrote:
Gormwood wrote:The thread should be The Zimmerman Files: White or Not?

Well given how racial this controversy was, a lot of melts away if Zimmerman isn't white, doesn't it?

Not really, since the racial focus of the incident is about how black people are automatically perceived as threats.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Grenartia wrote:The question isn't whether hispanics and latinos (American or not) would consider him white passing, but whether your typical white American would. What determines white passing isn't the opinions of POC, but white people, because white people are the gatekeepers of whiteness, as it currently stands.

As a black guy from a public school background I deny your power. White people aren't the only ones who judge people based on their race, and it's not white people who rely on parsing those social divisions for survival. The kids in my neighborhood weren't supposed to associate with white kids because the black parents didn't want to deal with white parents. When they did, they offered no conflict, issuing platitudes before privately advising self-segregation. Those mothers would have definitely fought with this guy because he is definitely hispanic.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Grenartia wrote:Not really, since the racial focus of the incident is about how black people are automatically perceived as threats.

No, that's just a lie you're telling. The issue was the idea that Zimmerman was white and he was going to get away with it. They weren't going to charge him because the self-defense angle was pretty clear but the public demanded charges be pressed that were never ever going to work out.

Cantelo
Diplomat

Postby Cantelo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Grenartia wrote:Not really, since the racial focus of the incident is about how black people are automatically perceived as threats.

No, that's just a lie you're telling. The issue was the idea that Zimmerman was white and he was going to get away with it. They weren't going to charge him because the self-defense angle was pretty clear but the public demanded charges be pressed that were never ever going to work out.

I swear to god, Grenartia has such a white savior complex that I can feel it radiate from the posts. The patronizing attitude and stubbornness is real.
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

I swear to god, Grenartia has such a white savior complex that I can feel it radiate from the posts. The patronizing attitude and stubbornness is real.

I'd tell you I don't, but there's nothing I could do or say to actually prove it to you, not that you'd even care if I could.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Samadhi wrote:

No, he got away with killing a black person, because that sounds..

Yeah that's true.

Can white people who care about white people please race adopt him.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.

Cantelo
Diplomat

Postby Cantelo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Cantelo wrote:

I'd tell you I don't, but there's nothing I could do or say to actually prove it to you, not that you'd even care if I could.

Again, the patronizing attitude. You think that being a white American gives you the final say on what being white is and makes you an expert on the topic. The world doesn't revolve around your definition of whiteness, and it seems to be a pretty skewed one at that. Zimmerman is not white, he is not white passing, he never was. I don't think anybody who didn't know who he was would ever think he was passing, the media pushed the narrative of him being white for god knows what reason.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Again, the patronizing attitude. You think that being a white American gives you the final say on what being white is and makes you an expert on the topic. The world doesn't revolve around your definition of whiteness, and it seems to be a pretty skewed one at that. Zimmerman is not white, he is not white passing, he never was. I don't think anybody who didn't know who he was would ever think he was passing, the media pushed the narrative of him being white for god knows what reason.

In fairness Trayvon thought he was white, at least based on the racial slurs he used.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Cuz he looked white and Zimmerman isn't a traditionally hispanic last name.

It's super complicated but bear with, yeah?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Cantelo
Diplomat

Postby Cantelo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Cantelo wrote:

Except he doesn't look white, and someone's last name is simply that; a last name.
It's some complex shit I know, but read it slowly and I think you'll understand.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm

George Zimmerman technically was defending himself. I say technically because he caused the whole situation by following trayvon when they said don't do it. This wannabe tough guy got in a fight and ended up killing a man. Now he adds insult to injury

Seriously what the fuck George
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Except he doesn't look white, and someone's last name is simply that; a last name.
It's some complex shit I know, but read it slowly and I think you'll understand.

I've seen plenty of white guys who look like zimmerman. He could be Greek or a turk
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Samadhi wrote:
Cantelo wrote:

Sheesh racist much? And as for the Spanish dude, I won't deny you look white as possible, but there's also plenty of dark colored castillians too my man. It's a variable look, that of a Hispanic including Spaniards

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 pm

I believe that this lawsuit by Zimmerman is a way for him to try and avenge his honor. His honor and his reputation was attacked by an entire government and at the behest of private parties for years, people literally said to him "You are a murderer, we will prove it and you will suffer." They failed to achieve this but they sure as hell tried. An extraordinary amount of damage was nevertheless done to his standing.

Now under the current system, what is Zimmerman going to do? A lawsuit is one way for him to try and vindicate himself and restore his honor.

This is Zimmerman trying to exorcise some of his anger at the injustices that he has suffered, this is him saying, "it's not enough that I was cleared of all charges, I was wronged, I want to hit back, the other party will know... you do not mess with the Zimmerman."

And it's 100% understandable.

And I think Zimmerman knows that he might lose this lawsuit, but he's okay with it. At the end of the day he can say, "well at least I tried. I gave it my best shot. I tried to fight back and I'm sure the other side understands the gesture." There's value in that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:01 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I believe that this lawsuit by Zimmerman is a way for him to try and avenge his honor. His honor and his reputation was attacked by an entire government and at the behest of private parties for years, people literally said to him "You are a murderer, we will prove it and you will suffer." They failed to achieve this but they sure as hell tried. An extraordinary amount of damage was nevertheless done to his standing.

Now under the current system, what is Zimmerman going to do? A lawsuit is one way for him to try and vindicate himself and restore his honor.

This is Zimmerman trying to exorcise some of his anger at the injustices that he has suffered, this is him saying, "it's not enough that I was cleared of all charges, I was wronged, I want to hit back, the other party will know... you do not mess with the Zimmerman."

And I think Zimmerman knows that he might lose this lawsuit, but he's okay with it. At the end of the day he can say, "well at least I tried. I gave it my best shot. I tried to fight back and I'm sure the other side understands the gesture." There's value in that.

He has no honor. He's a thug

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:01 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I believe that this lawsuit by Zimmerman is a way for him to try and avenge his honor. His honor and his reputation was attacked by an entire government and at the behest of private parties for years, people literally said to him "You are a murderer, we will prove it and you will suffer." They failed to achieve this but they sure as hell tried. An extraordinary amount of damage was nevertheless done to his standing.

Is your honor in the room with you right now?

Does it tell you to kill black people?
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:06 am

Samadhi wrote:

Considering Zimmerman's road rage incident in a parking lot down in Florida and his relationship with his ex girlfriend, I think Zimmerman has no qualms bringing violence to anyone. He likes fighting and that killed a man

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:13 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Samadhi wrote:

Considering Zimmerman's road rage incident in a parking lot down in Florida and his relationship with his ex girlfriend, I think Zimmerman has no qualms bringing violence to anyone. He likes fighting and that killed a man

Do you hear that whistling from high above?

That's the point you missed.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General