NATION

PASSWORD

Knife Attack on London Bridge - Two Dead

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:39 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The man who carried out the stab attack at London Bridge on Friday, named by police as Usman Khan, had previously been jailed for terrorism offences.

Say what you will about America, but at least we keep our terrorists locked up permanently after they commit acts of terrorism.

Doesn't seem to reduce the numbers of attacks, though, does it?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:52 am

Proctopeo wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
:rofl:

They most certainly can.

With much effort, of course, but so can dining forks and soup spoons. Hell I'd say that a dining fork is more capable of causing significant injury than a butter knife.

Plastic ones are even less dangerous than metal ones, so you shouldn't even need an ID to buy them.

Depends more on where and how you strike rather than brute force.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:41 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Say what you will about America, but at least we keep our terrorists locked up permanently after they commit acts of terrorism.

Doesn't seem to reduce the numbers of attacks, though, does it?

More people died from austerity that day than terrorism tbh.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:36 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:I’ll rephrase it, while many theists want their religion to reign supreme, Islam is the only one that particularly calls for the destruction of non-believers and outlines policies such as the Jizyah to deliberately oppress non-Muslims in their states

In that case I agree, also not ot mention that Muslims are the only people going around beheading people for blasphemy.

I mean there's a lot of Christians in Africa that do some pretty extreme shit, let's not pretend Islam is the only violent ideology out there. Any ideology that bans criticism or reform is doomed to be bloody
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:41 am

Gormwood wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Again, no, Islam itself is bad and deeply flawed due to above listed reasons

Which by extrapolation should make all Muslims bad by your logic. It's disingenuous as Hate the Sin, Not the Sinner.

When you can find a million violent or disturbing Quran quotes, Islam is bad. When Islam threatens those who don't believe with hell fire, it's bad. When Islam forces women to be second class citizens, it's bad. And before you bring up christianity, understand that I can't stand that religion either. Any religion that thinks it has all the answers and that those who criticize it deserve to be punished severely is an evil religion. The reason most Muslims aren't evil people is because they often don't read deeply enough into the Quran to see the weirdest quotes and those who occasionally stumble across them rationalize how the quotes aren't that bad. The Muslims who do read and understand the worst quotes of the Quran end up becoming terrorists. In a perfect world we wouldn't even have religions like the ones practiced in Europe and the middle East today, but we do and it seems like the debate is between the Christianity good, Islam bad folks, and the Christianity bad, Islam good folks. I don't fall in either camp. Christianity and Islam both are wrong for a multitude of reasons and the sooner people stop taking either of them any more seriously than we take southpark, the better.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:42 am

Samadhi wrote:What even is this thread.

A thread on the knife attack on London bridge ;)
Sidetopics include 'muslims are ebil", "why are convicted terrorists and murderers freely walking around" and "are plastic butterknives dangerous",
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:47 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Shitty that this will be used as more ammunition for the alt-right ethno nationalists crowd to rail against brown people and foreigners, regardless of whether they’re actually Muslim or not.

And this right here is the reason islamaphobia is a bad thing. Islamaphobia is not a fear of Islam (islam is as scary as every book by HP Lovecraft made into a movie in 3D), but a fear of Muslims as people, and a lot of times it's heavily based on race. Muslim is seen as non white and foreign and a danger to "european/American (white) culture." The truth is that Islam is no more or less foreign to Europe than Christianity is, and by the way there are European muslims. I know this theory keeps floating around that Albanians and Bosnians are turks but according to actual scientific studies, they're native Europeans and Albanians share close genetic links with greeks. That hasn't stopped alt right ideologues from claiming they're either turkic or "shipped by the Turks from the caucuses" (an even weirder theory). Most islamaphobes I've met don't offer a better alternative than Islam in its worst form. In fact their ideas may be worse because while I could always just convert to Islam if someone like ISIS took over, there's not much I can do except fight for my life or run if an army of Nazis takes over.

Criticizing Islam is good.
Hating Muslims and wanting to do serious harm to them is bad.
Hating Muslims for being brown is worse.
Hating non whites in general and wanting to kill them all is evil as hell.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Samadhi wrote:What even is this thread.

Sidetopics include 'muslims are ebil", "why are convicted terrorists and murderers freely walking around" and "are plastic butterknives dangerous",

Especially the former at this time, when the snarl knives are out.
Sorry if that sounded in poor taste.

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:55 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Shitty that this will be used as more ammunition for the alt-right ethno nationalists crowd to rail against brown people and foreigners, regardless of whether they’re actually Muslim or not.

And this right here is the reason islamaphobia is a bad thing. Islamaphobia is not a fear of Islam (islam is as scary as every book by HP Lovecraft made into a movie in 3D), but a fear of Muslims as people, and a lot of times it's heavily based on race. Muslim is seen as non white and foreign and a danger to "european/American (white) culture." The truth is that Islam is no more or less foreign to Europe than Christianity is, and by the way there are European muslims. I know this theory keeps floating around that Albanians and Bosnians are turks but according to actual scientific studies, they're native Europeans and Albanians share close genetic links with greeks. That hasn't stopped alt right ideologues from claiming they're either turkic or "shipped by the Turks from the caucuses" (an even weirder theory). Most islamaphobes I've met don't offer a better alternative than Islam in its worst form. In fact their ideas may be worse because while I could always just convert to Islam if someone like ISIS took over, there's not much I can do except fight for my life or run if an army of Nazis takes over.

I might consider it a branch of anti-Semitism since Arabic is a Semitic language and wouldn't be too much of a stretch to classify Arabs as Semitic in a previous era.

This is why I never believe Islamophobia is a thing. Arabophobia with a side dish of valid criticism of Islam is what it really is. It's paralleled with how anti-Jewish ideas sneak in to criticism of the Israeli government's corrupt practices.

-Astoria wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Especially the former at this time, when the snarl knives are out.
Sorry if that sounded in poor taste.

Good point.
Also sorry.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:03 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

I might consider it a branch of anti-Semitism since Arabic is a Semitic language and wouldn't be too much of a stretch to classify Arabs as Semitic in a previous era.

This is why I never believe Islamophobia is a thing. Arabophobia with a side dish of valid criticism of Islam is what it really is. It's paralleled with how anti-Jewish ideas sneak in to criticism of the Israeli government's corrupt practices.

you gotta be careful with what you call antisemitism because certain Jewish people think the term ought to apply only to Jews (Arabs are semitic, as are the amharas of Ethiopia and Assyrians of Iraq). And as I've come to realize, islamaphobia is heavily based around arabophobia and a fear of all things middle eastern. A lot of the complaints made about Muslims (they don't assimilate, they're violent, their culture is foreign) are made in my area by the usual suspects about Assyrians and christian Albanians as well, and of course about mexicans, so I'm certain it's heavily based around racism, just like how historical anti semitism was

Otira
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Otira » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Makes me wonder if Islamic fundamentalists are accelerationists who want that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah, the people who got stabbed are boring. The real victims are those who are persecuted by an imaginary anti-Islamic purge I've concocted in my head.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Yeah, the people who got stabbed are boring. The real victims are those who are persecuted by an imaginary anti-Islamic purge I've concocted in my head.

Why not both categories are victims? Are we gonna go full collective punishment on the perpetrators?
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General