NATION

PASSWORD

Coffee discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Its lovely, I may steal it tomorrow.

Is that just your scheduled Friday activity?

Last day I will be at that site, so.... maybe.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Its lovely, I may steal it tomorrow.

It's not theft if you don't get caught.

It's for a good coffee

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Is that just your scheduled Friday activity?

Last day I will be at that site, so.... maybe.

If you do, take a photo of yourself wearing a black pantyhose on your face to cover it. So that I can lau- I mean, give you pointers.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Last day I will be at that site, so.... maybe.

If you do, take a photo of yourself wearing a black pantyhose on your face to cover it. So that I can lau- I mean, give you pointers.

Funny, that is what mrs mermania tells me too.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Funny, that is what mrs mermania tells me too.

At least make her a nice espresso. If you don’t get caught. Otherwise you’ll be probably treated as an espresso bitch in jail. :p
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:30 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
An Infinity Gauntlet wrote:I've lost faith in the general populace when it comes to coffee consumption. I work in the coffee industry (as a barista) and the amount of sugar I've seen myself put into beverages should probably be classified as poison. I swear I've given hundreds of people a drink that could probably give both type 1 and 2 diabetes just from the taste alone. No one wants that bitter taste anymore, I essentially make desert drinks with a coffee hue.

a tragedy has befallen across mankind.

Ohhh you work at Starbucks. Yea they do like giving out the sugar bombs. When I use them. I usually reduce the sugar by 2/3s.

They basically do it to cover their mediocre coffee. Tried their drips at home and found there really wasn't that much of a distinguishing taste between the different varieties of coffee.....

Starbucks coffee tastes as if it's been sitting too long and gotten burned to me.
Silver Commonwealth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Especially in the US. I don’t know what it is with Starbucks coffee over here. It’s appalling, imo and you do have to douse it in sweeteners to make it palatable.

This is why I almost always make coffee at home.

Plus not having to spend $4 or more on a cup of coffee.
Rainbowsix wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
You can develop certain diseases like diabetes, even if you’re young. Just saying. :)

The times I’ve used creamer (and I seldom do), I like to add a dash of cinnamon to it. It gives it a nice taste too.

at gas stations i use like 10 creamers and 6 sugars :P

That's not coffee, that's sugar and milk with a dash of coffee.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I had a mocha with extra espresso today even though I haven't had coffee in months because I was exhausted and I have a lot of work to do.
Yeah, that wasn't a good idea. I have so much energy and I'm super hot (temperature-wise).

Just enjoy the caffeine craze, get some shit done my man dude.

Fixed.
That's what I'm doing right now: I'm doing a take-home exam and simultaneously posting on NS! I also finished an important email, am successfully helping multiple people with issues they're having, went to four classes, and I still have like 6 hours left in my day. I think I'm going to spend the rest of it finishing this exam and debugging a program I'm writing.
Also, interestingly, I feel better about my appearance than I have in a good while and I think it's due to the caffeine. I didn't remember it being a self esteem booster. Unfortunately, the awesomeness that has happened today is a once-in-a-while thing, since I cannot afford daily coffee and I'd build up a tolerance anyway.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Rainbowsix wrote:at gas stations i use like 10 creamers and 6 sugars :P

That's not coffee, that's sugar and milk with a dash of coffee.

Want coffee with that creamer?
Slava Ukraini

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Rainbowsix wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Oh yea. It’s about getting the heart racing versus taste.

y do u need heart racing for trucking?

To stay awake when you've been up and driving too long.

Rainbowsix
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rainbowsix » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Stardust Crusdaers wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
Just enjoy the caffeine craze, get some shit done my man.

My favorite coffee is the S'mores coffee from Starbucks.

give me it
This nation doesn't represent my views... this nation represents what I imagine the game Rainbow Six Siege would be like if made into a country
Freedom is never free, so remember those who died for it
My political view down here (updated 2/25/20)
https://www.isidewith.com/profile/4179624586/parties

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am

An Infinity Gauntlet wrote:I've lost faith in the general populace when it comes to coffee consumption. I work in the coffee industry (as a barista) and the amount of sugar I've seen myself put into beverages should probably be classified as poison. I swear I've given hundreds of people a drink that could probably give both type 1 and 2 diabetes just from the taste alone. No one wants that bitter taste anymore, I essentially make desert drinks with a coffee hue.

Nothing beats a good cappuccino
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:27 pm

After this week,

I am now looking at lavazza and nespresso machines.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am

Ethel mermania wrote:After this week,

I maintain that any espresso you can make requires a traditional stovetop espresso machine to be any good, but if you're hard pressed to produce a cooking surface, I have heard good things about nespresso.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:53 am

Kernen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:After this week,

I maintain that any espresso you can make requires a traditional stovetop espresso machine to be any good, but if you're hard pressed to produce a cooking surface, I have heard good things about nespresso.

I had a nespresso, for what it was, fake espresso it was very good. It seems to be about a dollar a cup.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:02 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:

I had a nespresso, for what it was, fake espresso it was very good. It seems to be about a dollar a cup.

Vertuos are a flat $0.85 per espresso; double espresso, full brew coffees, and the other weird sizes start at $1/cup and can go up to $2 but the average is about $1.10.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:

If you have the right grinder, a cup of espresso doesn't need to cost you much more than making yourself a cup of coffee.

Of course, you're out the up-front costs of a nice grinder and a nice espresso pot.
Last edited by Kernen on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:44 pm

Kernen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:I had a nespresso, for what it was, fake espresso it was very good. It seems to be about a dollar a cup.

If you have the right grinder, a cup of espresso doesn't need to cost you much more than making yourself a cup of coffee.

Of course, you're out the up-front costs of a nice grinder and a nice espresso pot.

But its work. These things are just "push the button stupid", there is nothing to screw up and nothing to clean.

It's like sex without love, not a fulfilling experience. But as unfulfilling experiences go, it's a pretty good one.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:

But its work. These things are just "push the button stupid", there is nothing to screw up and nothing to clean.

It's like sex without love, not a fulfilling experience. But as unfulfilling experiences go, it's a pretty good one.

Yeah. Imo the total lack of prep time or need to clean anything is more than worth the price tag and perhaps reduced quality.

I can't say the same about Keurigs. Keurig coffee tastes so bad that it's not worth it, and I've actually had more problems with Keurigs getting fouled and becoming impossible to clean correctly than any other coffee apparatus.
Last edited by Cisairse on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Had my first ever espresso last night - and no drop of anisette. It was delicious.

(I didn't miss the sweet -- I was eating baklava so that was plenty sweet enough!)
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:55 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:But its work. These things are just "push the button stupid", there is nothing to screw up and nothing to clean.

Yeah. Imo the total lack of prep time or need to clean anything is more than worth the price tag and perhaps reduced quality.

I can't say the same about Keurigs. Keurig coffee tastes so bad that it's not worth it, and I've actually had more problems with Keurigs getting fouled and becoming impossible to clean correctly than any other coffee apparatus.

The generations after the first one, that have a "strong" coffee setting, are actually better.

For generation one -- straighten a paper clip and use it to unclog the channels in the needle. Then brew a cup of hot water to blow the grounds out.

For Gen 2, they gave you a device to put into the machine with a bit of water in it. Opening and closing the top 5 times clears the grounds (and they end up in the cleaning device)

Not sure about the minis, or about the newer models.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:03 pm

MFW I've ordered several drinks that probably should be classified as a bioweapon for all the sugar put in them.

The Sugar Cookie Mochassippi from Community Coffee is no joke, I got the jitters drinking it and I don't usually get jittery from coffee. Good drink though.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

The generations after the first one, that have a "strong" coffee setting, are actually better.

For generation one -- straighten a paper clip and use it to unclog the channels in the needle. Then brew a cup of hot water to blow the grounds out.

For Gen 2, they gave you a deviceto put into the machine with a bit of water in it. Opening and closing the top 5 times clears the grounds (and they end up in the cleaning device)

Not sure about the minis, or about the newer models.

Even on the strong setting the coffee tastes thin to me. The nespresso wasnt great, but it was easy and tasty enough.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kernen wrote:

God dammit. That was an excellent argument and I hate you for it. Just a little though.

Lawful Evil

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Luminesa wrote:

MFW I've ordered several drinks that probably should be classified as a bioweapon for all the sugar put in them.

The Sugar Cookie Mochassippi from Community Coffee is no joke, I got the jitters drinking it and I don't usually get jittery from coffee. Good drink though.

I’m getting the jitters reading this and watching the Raven Simoné gif. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Kernen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:But its work. These things are just "push the button stupid", there is nothing to screw up and nothing to clean.

God dammit. That was an excellent argument and I hate you for it. Just a little though.

:D

Stolen from Mr. A Konigsberg.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General