NATION

PASSWORD

MENA category on 2020 Census: should it exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What should be done regarding middle eastern Americans on the 2020 census?

Make a separate racial category for middle eastern people
30%
Make MENA an ethnic category akin to Hispanic/Latino
17%
Get rid of the white category and create nordic, alpine and Mediterranean boxes
5%
Get rid of race, ask only about ethnicity on census
24%
Get rid of all questions pertaining to race, ethnicity or nationality
10%
Get rid of the census altogether and let chaos reign supreme
5%
Stop giving me so many damn options
5%
I have my own ideas, don't tell me what to do
5%

Total votes : 63

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

MENA category on 2020 Census: should it exist?

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Whiteness as a concept as constantly changed in America and has grown and shrank to include and exclude many different ethnicities residing in the United States. There was a point in time that finns were considered "mongoloid" and a point in time as well when the Irish were viewed as "the missing link between Africans and europeans." One group that has witnessed a change in racial identity over the last century in America has been Arab Americans along with other middle easterners. Arab Americans fought during the early 20th century to be listed as white in america as opposed to asian, so as to be able to immigrate here, and since the 1940s, they were basically considered white people, akin to other white ethnics.

Then 9/11 happened and Americans increasingly came to view immigrants from West Asia as inherently foreign to the US. Many Arab Americans in my generation have grown up in a climate that views them as alien to America and permanently foreign, and an increasing number of them identify as non white. As a result of this shift in perception, a change was recently proposed to the census that would add "MENA" (Middle Eastern/North African) to the list of races one could check in 2020. The movement to add the MENA category fizzled out not long ago but while it may be dormant, I don't think the idea or the factors behind it are dead. So should MENA be added as a racial category in the 2020 census? In my opinion, race is a complicated subject and our categorization of human "races" changes over time. I think nothing would prove the inherent fallacy of defined races better than a MENA category, due to the similarity in physical appearance that many Arab Americans share with people of southern European and Latino origin, the similar appearance shared by certain Arabs in Sudan and Yemen with sub Saharan Africans and the indistinguishable appearance shared between American Jews, who would be also included in this category, and non jews from the same countries of ancestral origin. I personally would rather have a census based around ethnic background (culture, language and customs) than phenotype. So what are your opinions Nsers? Let Me know down below.

For more information on the MENA proposition, click here:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/29/58154111 ... ureau-says
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Cantelo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cantelo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:28 pm

The creation of a Hispanic/Latino category was a mistake in the first place
Forever a Pilgrim; Oviedo - Santiago de Compostela 370km
Kingdom of Cantelo - Reín de Cantelo - Regne de Cantelo - Reialme de Cantelo
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo
I like making flags for fun, shoot me a telegram if you’d like one made!
Spanish-American college student with an addiction to sushi. Political Compass

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Cantelo wrote:The creation of a Hispanic/Latino category was a mistake in the first place

Lol
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Well? If there are other categories? Sure why not?

It’s it’s mena and everybody else?

The problem with data is how it’s used. For example, Republicans would use it for getting an idea of how many terrorists are in the country....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 pm

iirc the Census asks about country of birth, which should pretty much cover "nordic, alpine, Mediterranean" etc. (and I'd be hard put to say which of those I might be, being Swedish/Irish/German on my father's side and Scots/English on my mother's). In the days of racially restrictive real estate covenants barring property owners from selling to anyone but whites they took care of MENA with words like "Moorish" and "Turkish." Race is a social construct anyway, so meh.
Last edited by US-SSR on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm

The Hispanic/Latino category is done about in a stupid way. These should be the US racial categories:

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
4. Foreign/Other African (incl. black Caribbean)
5. American Indian
6. Non-US Amerind/Mestizo
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

These aren't meant to reflect the most precise racial and ethnic classifications, but it's just to get a broad sense of the general makeup is.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cantelo
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 28, 2016

Postby Cantelo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Cantelo wrote:The creation of a Hispanic/Latino category was a mistake in the first place

Lol

I mean, to add onto what I said; they're taking a massive, multicultural region and condensing it to a single category. Hispanics can be of literally any race and Latin America is a melting pot much like the United States. Imagine if European countries put down "American" as a census category and everybody started treating it as though it was a race.
Forever a Pilgrim; Oviedo - Santiago de Compostela 370km
Kingdom of Cantelo - Reín de Cantelo - Regne de Cantelo - Reialme de Cantelo
At a Glance | Cardona Journal | Queen Isabella I | Parliament of Cantelo | National Anthem of Cantelo
I like making flags for fun, shoot me a telegram if you’d like one made!
Spanish-American college student with an addiction to sushi. Political Compass

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:The Hispanic/Latino category is done about in a stupid way. These should be the US racial categories:

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

These aren't meant to reflect the most precise racial and ethnic classifications, but it's just to get a broad sense of the general makeup is.

Aboriginal? Wouldn’t that be the Native Americans? ;)

I am not sure that many migrate here to warrant their own categorgy.

Why would Jewish be in this?
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:The Hispanic/Latino category is done about in a stupid way. These should be the US racial categories:

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

Aboriginal means Aboriginal Australians (I assume there's a probably a few that live in the US).

Native Americans are covered by American Indian and Non-US Amerind/Mestizo.

Jews are on this because they don't really belong in any of the other categories but are too numerous in the US to simply stick in "other".
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:07 pm

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

So whites are different than foreign whites, Africans are a different race than black americans, and MENA are different from not only whites (including whites who look a lot like them) but from Jews who are middle eastern?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

Why would Jewish be in this?

20 aboriginal Australians in almost 20 states be like: :clap: :bow:

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Sure, why not.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Cantelo wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Lol

I mean, to add onto what I said; they're taking a massive, multicultural region and condensing it to a single category. Hispanics can be of literally any race and Latin America is a melting pot much like the United States. Imagine if European countries put down "American" as a census category and everybody started treating it as though it was a race.

It would be like if Brazil had a category called "anglo" and it included canadians, americans, brits, australians, New zealanders, Bahamians, Jamaicans, Hong Kong people, and several African countries.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

Or maybe we could just drop the antiquated racial ideas developed 500 years ago and move on from that utterly destructive period of history...?

No> Makes too much sense? Oh well...
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm

New haven america wrote:

1. White American
2. African-American
3. Foreign/Other White
5. American Indian
7. East Asian
8. South Asian
9. MENA
10. Aboriginal
11. Jewish
12. Other

Or maybe we could just drop the antiquated racial ideas developed 500 years ago and move on from that utterly destructive period of history...?

No> Makes too much sense? Oh well...

I really support us using culture/ethnicity instead of race on the census. Instead of calling people vague terms like black and white, we need to identify people based on things that truly influence their lives, such as culture

A black american is very different from an African person fresh off the boat. They've been separated for hundreds of years and the two cultures have diverged significantly. This is why I propose that we classify African Americans as "West/Central African heritage American" to distinguish the people we commonly just call black in this country, and create separate boxes for actual Africans based on their countries of origin. We don't classify people based on phenotype but instead based on culture

One weird side effect of this system would be that Paul Wall might end up being classified as African American and the Wu Tang Clan might be asian, but we'll fix that all later.

Our racial categories are too simplistic and cause too much confusion
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Create geographic categories based on ancestry not race.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Create geographic categories based on ancestry not race.

This

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Perhaps treat it similar to the question regarding Hispanic/Latino ethnic background? IDK. I don't know much about race.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Xmara wrote:Perhaps treat it similar to the question regarding Hispanic/Latino ethnic background? IDK. I don't know much about race.

It's hard to know much about race when the boundaries are fluid and ever changing in definition.

Also I found out they considered adding cypriots to the MENA category so now we really have crossed into loony tunes. That's right folks, apparently Greek people from the mainland would be white but Greek people in cypress would be MENA. don't ask me how the same ethnic group with the same origins could end up in opposite races but it almost happened

Insaanistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 18, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Insaanistan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 pm

In my opinion, Latinos should be considered Native Americans, given the shared ethnic and historical similarities, and the fact that historically speaking, they were only really separated by the country ruling and what happened to them, with Latin American nations generally having a much larger Native and African influence that’s the US and Canada.
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركته-Peace be with you!
BLM - Free Palestine - Abolish Kafala - Boycott Israel - Trump lost
Anti: DAESH & friends, IR Govt, Saudi Govt, Israeli Govt, China, anti-semitism, homophobia, racism, sexism, Fascism, Communism, Islamophobia.

Hello brother (or sister),
Unapologetic Muslim American
I’m neither a terrorist nor Iranian.
Ace-ish (Hate it when my friends are right!)
TG for questions on Islam!

Insaanistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 18, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Insaanistan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:00 pm

We need a separate ballot for Middle Easterners and North Africans. The whole controversy started when the US passed a racist law making life harder for Asian immigrants, and while it had Chinese in the name, it didn’t only affect them. The first Arab immigrants were coming out of Syria, a Middle Eastern nation in Western Asia. Because they feared persecution, these immigrants asked to be identified as white, which was accepted. However, nowadays more and more Arabs are looking to reclaim their identity and are pushing for this change. One problem with that: What qualifies as MENA. It’s easy to do so based on geography, but culturally, it’s more difficult. The Hausa, for example (I am part Hausa) are a tribe that lives in Sahelian and Eastern Africa: they usually only go as far north as Sudan and Saudi Arabia. They are native to where Niger, Nigeria and Chad meet. Would they be MENA. There are also many East and West Africans who claim Arab descent, and many have evidently Arab features and can speak Arabic. Would they be included?
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركته-Peace be with you!
BLM - Free Palestine - Abolish Kafala - Boycott Israel - Trump lost
Anti: DAESH & friends, IR Govt, Saudi Govt, Israeli Govt, China, anti-semitism, homophobia, racism, sexism, Fascism, Communism, Islamophobia.

Hello brother (or sister),
Unapologetic Muslim American
I’m neither a terrorist nor Iranian.
Ace-ish (Hate it when my friends are right!)
TG for questions on Islam!

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Insaanistan wrote:

In my opinion, Latinos should be considered Native Americans, given the shared ethnic and historical similarities, and the fact that historically speaking, they were only really separated by the country ruling and what happened to them, with Latin American nations generally having a much larger Native and African influence that’s the US and Canada.

I'm clearly not a native American nor are most latinos. Having some native blood makes you no more native American than having some indo European ancestors makes a kazakh scythian.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:17 pm

Insaanistan wrote:We need a separate ballot for Middle Easterners and North Africans. The whole controversy started when the US passed a racist law making life harder for Asian immigrants, and while it had Chinese in the name, it didn’t only affect them. The first Arab immigrants were coming out of Syria, a Middle Eastern nation in Western Asia. Because they feared persecution, these immigrants asked to be identified as white, which was accepted. However, nowadays more and more Arabs are looking to reclaim their identity and are pushing for this change. One problem with that: What qualifies as MENA. It’s easy to do so based on geography, but culturally, it’s more difficult. The Hausa, for example (I am part Hausa) are a tribe that lives in Sahelian and Eastern Africa: they usually only go as far north as Sudan and Saudi Arabia. They are native to where Niger, Nigeria and Chad meet. Would they be MENA. There are also many East and West Africans who claim Arab descent, and many have evidently Arab features and can speak Arabic. Would they be included?

But why would we create a separate race box for millions of people who look indistinguishable from a Greek or Sicilian person? When I was over in the middle east, I can't tell you how many people there looked like individuals in my mom's family. Keep in mind my dad is the middle eastern side of the family. Mom is just like Spanish with some Taino and West African thrown in

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Aboriginal means Aboriginal Australians (I assume there's a probably a few that live in the US).

Jews are on this because they don't really belong in any of the other categories but are too numerous in the US to simply stick in "other".

Most American Jews would probably just call themselves white tbh, because, most American Jews are just white people with a Jewish background.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:19 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Most American Jews would probably just call themselves white tbh, because, most American Jews are just white people with a Jewish background.

Kallyanne Conway would like to have a word with you.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General