NATION

PASSWORD

Federal Judge Reportedly Rules Hoda Muthana Not US Citizen

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Kaystein wrote:Here NS, Hold my beer.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1401

According to U.S. Code § 1401. Nationals and citizens of United States at birth

"The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;"

um.. let's see, I'm missing something else here..

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv

According to the fourteenth amendment of the US constitution, Section 1

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlevi

Further, according to article six of the US constitution

"All debts contracted and engagements entered into, before the adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Underlining "this constitution" which the comma treats it coming first, which matters because it's put as superior to any laws made separately by the United States government that's not an amendment. Underlining "and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding" Because all judges are bound to the constitution first above all when performing their jobs.

Therefore, in my understanding the judge's ruling about anybody being born in the United States not having citizenship is rendered null and void. The father being a diplomat doesn't matter; because any and all laws relevant to that is overruled/superseded by the constitution's amendments, 14 and 6.

The person can return here if they wish, and be put promptly into prison. Their innocence isn't a question (they're guilty of war crimes imo). Neither should be their citizenship.

Reportedly the judge concluded that he didn't have the ability to question the State Department's assertion that neither Hoda nor her father were "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" between the time he left his post at the Somali mission to the UN, before she was born, and the time the US mission to the UN was notified he had left his post, afterwards. We shall see.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 pm

US-SSR wrote:

(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;"

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

"All debts contracted and engagements entered into, before the adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

Underlining "this constitution" which the comma treats it coming first, which matters because it's put as superior to any laws made separately by the United States government that's not an amendment. Underlining "and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding" Because all judges are bound to the constitution first above all when performing their jobs.

Therefore, in my understanding the judge's ruling about anybody being born in the United States not having citizenship is rendered null and void. The father being a diplomat doesn't matter; because any and all laws relevant to that is overruled/superseded by the constitution's amendments, 14 and 6.

The person can return here if they wish, and be put promptly into prison. Their innocence isn't a question (they're guilty of war crimes imo). Neither should be their citizenship.

Reportedly the judge concluded that he didn't have the ability to question the State Department's assertion that neither Hoda nor her father were "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" between the time he left his post at the Somali mission to the UN, before she was born, and the time the US mission to the UN was notified he had left his post, afterwards. We shall see.

Was Hoda born in US territory? Yes or no? That answer is the same answer to the question "is hoda a US citizen"?

Anything else is politics. Let that sink in.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:She never had US citizenship. Children of diplomats don’t get automatic US citizenship.

a diplomat from where?

Yemen. Her father was a Yemeni diplomat
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Kaystein wrote:
US-SSR wrote:

Was Hoda born in US territory? Yes or no? That answer is the same answer to the question "is hoda a US citizen"?

Anything else is politics. Let that sink in.

She’s not. Children of diplomats are not automatically US citizens per US v Wong Kim Ark
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:25 pm

You must interpret in light of English common law.

Here’s the wiki summary because I’m on a tablet and quoting is hard.

Upholding the concept of jus soli (citizenship based on place of birth),[121] the Court held that the Citizenship Clause needed to be interpreted in light of English common law,[1] which had included as subjects virtually all native-born children, excluding only those who were born to foreign rulers or diplomats, born on foreign public ships, or born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory.[3][122][123] The court's majority held that the subject to the jurisdiction phrase in the Citizenship Clause excluded from U.S. citizenship only those persons covered by one of these three exceptions (plus a fourth "single additional exception"—namely, that Indian tribes "not taxed" were not considered subject to U.S. jurisdiction).[2][63] The majority concluded that none of these four exceptions to U.S. jurisdiction applied to Wong; in particular, they observed that "during all the time of their said residence in the United States, as domiciled residents therein, the said mother and father of said Wong Kim Ark were engaged in the prosecution of business, and were never engaged in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China".[124]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ng_Kim_Ark

You’re welcome to look at the scotus decision in particular though.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kaystein
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Galloism wrote:

You must interpret in light of English common law.

Upholding the concept of jus soli (citizenship based on place of birth),[121] the Court held that the Citizenship Clause needed to be interpreted in light of English common law,[1] which had included as subjects virtually all native-born children, excluding only those who were born to foreign rulers or diplomats, born on foreign public ships, or born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory.[3][122][123] The court's majority held that the subject to the jurisdiction phrase in the Citizenship Clause excluded from U.S. citizenship only those persons covered by one of these three exceptions (plus a fourth "single additional exception"—namely, that Indian tribes "not taxed" were not considered subject to U.S. jurisdiction).[2][63] The majority concluded that none of these four exceptions to U.S. jurisdiction applied to Wong; in particular, they observed that "during all the time of their said residence in the United States, as domiciled residents therein, the said mother and father of said Wong Kim Ark were engaged in the prosecution of business, and were never engaged in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China".[124]

So I did, and that's interesting! Did the judge cite that particular case in their ruling? If the judge did, then hoda isn't a citizen, per politics. if the judge didn't, according to US-SSR's post -

US-SSR wrote:Reportedly the judge concluded that he didn't have the ability to question the State Department's assertion that neither Hoda nor her father were "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" between the time he left his post at the Somali mission to the UN, before she was born, and the time the US mission to the UN was notified he had left his post, afterwards. We shall see.

- then the constitution takes supremacy, since the state department's will is subservient to the constitution at any time. I'd hazard that the scotus case of 1898 is subservient to the constitution as well.

The reason why the founding fathers wrote "persons" instead of "men" was to placate slave owners and racial supremacists of the time period, whom formed a chunk of the backbone for the american resistance movement in the revolutionary war. Slaves were not persons back then, they were property. But they were recognized as human nonetheless, and would have been freed unless the constitution went with the legal "persons" in it's writing.

Politics being the thing it currently is, the republican majority of the supreme court would not allow the judge's ruling/conclusion to be reversed. Despite for decades that anybody born in my country was given citizenship, now suddenly that's not the case anymore. Fuck politics.

EDIT: question, how did galloism or thermodolia find that particular 1898 court case? Was it brought up in Hoda's court case, or did this crop up from the internet?
Last edited by Kaystein on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Kaystein wrote:
Galloism wrote:You must interpret in light of English common law.

So I did, and that's interesting! Did the judge cite that particular case in their ruling? If the judge did, then hoda isn't a citizen, per politics. if the judge didn't, according to US-SSR's post -

US-SSR wrote:Reportedly the judge concluded that he didn't have the ability to question the State Department's assertion that neither Hoda nor her father were "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" between the time he left his post at the Somali mission to the UN, before she was born, and the time the US mission to the UN was notified he had left his post, afterwards. We shall see.

- then the constitution takes supremacy, since the state department's will is subservient to the constitution at any time. I'd hazard that the scotus case of 1898 is subservient to the constitution as well.

The reason why the founding fathers wrote "persons" instead of "men" was to placate slave owners and racial supremacists of the time period, whom formed a chunk of the backbone for the american resistance movement in the revolutionary war. Slaves were not persons back then, they were property. But they were recognized as human nonetheless, and would have been freed unless the constitution went with the legal "persons" in it's writing.

Politics being the thing it currently is, the republican majority of the supreme court would not allow the judge's ruling/conclusion to be reversed. Despite for decades that anybody born in my country was given citizenship, now suddenly that's not the case anymore. Fuck politics.

EDIT: question, how did galloism or thermodolia find that particular 1898 court case? Was it brought up in Hoda's court case, or did this crop up from the internet?

I mean, children of diplomats have never been considered citizens as far as I can recall. It doesn’t come up often, but I can’t recall any diplomat having a kid that became a us citizen via jus soli.

And while scotus is subservient to the constitution, it also interprets the constitution, and based on its 120 year old ruling, it would appear that kids of diplomats are excluded.

Also, we’ve discussed this case on NS before.
Last edited by Galloism on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Prismos
Secretary

Founded: Feb 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:38 pm

The US should take responsibility for its own extremists.

She is not Syria’s problem (she came to Syria as a foreign invader from the US) nor is she Yemen’s responsibility, her father’s place of birth.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Prismos wrote:The US should take responsibility for its own extremists.

She is not Syria’s problem (she came to Syria as a foreign invader from the US) nor is she Yemen’s responsibility, her father’s place of birth.

why is she our problem?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Prismos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Prismos wrote:The US should take responsibility for its own extremists.

why is she our problem?

Because for the most part she’s lived in the US.

Imagine the outrage if the US wanted to deport an extremist and Syria and Yemen turned around saying “they’re your problem now”.

It’s this nimby double standards that irritates me about Americans.

Kaystein
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Prismos wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:why is she our problem?

Imagine the outrage if the US wanted to deport an extremist and Syria and Yemen turned around saying “they’re your problem now”.

They're a shitposter, don't bother.

Prismos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Kaystein wrote:
Prismos wrote:

They're a shitposter, don't bother.

Who is?
Last edited by Prismos on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm

I'd rather we try, and execute, her for treason. Same for any other Americans who joined the IS.
Last edited by Sovaal on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Prismos wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:why is she our problem?

I don't think you've actually met many Americans.

Anyway, if there was an extremist that had attacked America we would be overjoyed at the prospect of trying them and the source nation not caring.
I mean we literally invaded Afghanistan to track down extremists that had attacked us.
Last edited by Sovaal on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Prismos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Sovaal wrote:I'd rather we try, and execute, her for treason. Same for any other Americans who joined the IS.

A lovely way to imitate Islamist values as opposed to Western liberal ones

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Prismos wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I'd rather we try, and execute, her for treason. Same for any other Americans who joined the IS.

Plenty of traitors in the West have been executed for treason. And she supported a "nation" hostile to the US, which last I checked was how our constitution defined treason.

I don't usually support execution but in cases where they supported such a despicable cause I can't come up with any objections.
Last edited by Sovaal on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Prismos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Prismos wrote:

I don't think you've actually met many Americans.

Anyway, if there was an extremist that had attacked America we would be overjoyed at the prospect of trying them and the source nation not caring.

I’ve been to the US many times.

My point is if a nation tried to push extremists onto yours, it would be an entirely different story.

Wasn’t it Trump who said the UK needs to deal with its own extremists like Shamima Begum, and here you are now not dealing with yours?

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:03 pm

And the question nobody wants to answer: What exactly did Hoda Muthana do in ISIS?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Prismos wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I don't think you've actually met many Americans.

My point is if a nation tried to push extremists onto yours, it would be an entirely different story.

Wasn’t it Trump who said the UK needs to deal with its own extremists like Shamima Begum, and here you are now not dealing with yours?

Donnie was the one who also said all the ISIS fighters that were kept locked up by the Kurds before he fucked them in the ass would run to Europe.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Gormwood wrote:And the question nobody wants to answer: What exactly did Hoda Muthana do in ISIS?

If they had joined a far right white extremist terrorist group fighting a war and slaughtering thousands of people would we ask what they did in said organization?

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Prismos
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prismos » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Prismos wrote:

Plenty of traitors in the West have been executed for treason. And she supported a "nation" hostile to the US, which last I checked was how our constitution defined treason.

I don't usually support execution but in cases where they supported such a despicable cause I can't come up with any objections.

I find executions and death, just satisfying Daesh. Part of the reason why the hate us is our Western values is because we are liberal and many Western nations don’t have the death penalty. We shouldn’t go down to their level.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Prismos wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I don't think you've actually met many Americans.

Thing is in a reversed scenario these extremists would have killed thousands of Americans.

Anyway, I'm all for us dealing with her, and any other American supporter of ISIS. Plenty of jail cells and courtyards.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Gormwood wrote:And the question nobody wants to answer: What exactly did Hoda Muthana do in ISIS?

If they had joined a far right white extremist terrorist group fighting a war and slaughtering thousands of people would we ask what they did in said organization?

Because despite what you clap your hands to believe, there's a difference between being a front line fighter or planner and being a war bride.

Balican
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Balican » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Why does this matter?
Economic Left/Right: .13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.78
Pro: Corneliu Codreanu, Jus Sanguini, Nationalism, Moral responsibiliy, Traditionalism.
Con: Cuckservatives, Liberalism as a whole, Israel, Communism, Islam, Welfare, NATO in it's current form, the UN.
Proud user of NS stats.
I am a monarchy.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Recruiter, iirc.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General