NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XVIII: The Authority Is Total

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Cisairse wrote:
Ah, I understand now.

Face-to-face private purchases of firearms are illegal in my state.

Well that's dumb, seems unconstitutional.

Obligatory What Mama Don't Know...

In my state you have to be a licensed retailer to be able to legally sell firearms (that rule went into effect a couple of years ago). Licenses for retailers are on a "may-issue" basis and they generally just don't issue them, so you can't really buy them.
Some retailers are grandfathered in, but I only know of maybe a dozen places in the state that are. Even then, you yourself need a license to buy a firearm, and those licenses are also may-issue and basically never issued, so you still can't buy one.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

In my state you have to be a licensed retailer to be able to legally sell firearms (that rule went into effect a couple of years ago). Licenses for retailers are on a "may-issue" basis and they generally just don't issue them, so you can't really buy them.
Some retailers are grandfathered in, but I only know of maybe a dozen places in the state that are. Even then, you yourself need a license to buy a firearm, and those licenses are also may-issue and basically never issued, so you still can't buy one.

That sounds like it's flagrantly in violation of the Second Amendment. Somebody oughta fucking sue.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:11 pm

The Recession Bread Lines Are Forming in Mar-a-Lago’s Shadow

How fitting. Maybe there's going to be Trumpvilles popping up in the country soon.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:15 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

That sounds like it's flagrantly in violation of the Second Amendment. Somebody oughta fucking sue.

The U.S. Supreme Court back in Q1 2019 said that parts of our laws were almost certainly unconstitutional and our AG responded by disagreeing and saying they will continue to enforce the standing law unless the SCOTUS actually strikes it, which so far they haven't done. They basically argued that because it is theoretically possible to buy a gun, it doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment.
Last edited by Cisairse on Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

Nothing like govt bureaucracy harming citizens in times like this when the citizenry really should have access to self defense tools, since the police forces are most likely spread thin.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:That sounds like it's flagrantly in violation of the Second Amendment. Somebody oughta fucking sue.

The U.S. Supreme Court back in Q1 2019 said that parts of our laws were almost certainly unconstitutional and our AG responded by disagreeing and saying they will continue to enforce the standing law unless the SCOTUS actually strikes it, which so far they haven't done. They basically argued that because it is theoretically possible to buy a gun, it doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment.

Interesting.. What was the case?

Heller approvingly cited the 1871 Tennessee case Andrews v. State, which explained that “the right to keep arms, necessarily involves the right to purchase them, to keep them in a state of efficiency for use, and to purchase and provide ammunition suitable for such arms"

In the Heller decision the USSC seems to agree that commercial sales of arms is constitutionally protected.

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:14 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:That sounds like it's flagrantly in violation of the Second Amendment. Somebody oughta fucking sue.

Hmm. Yeah, your AG is definitely an asshat, and the US Supreme Court really should get around to smiting the law(s) that violate the constitution.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

Interesting.. What was the case?

Heller approvingly cited the 1871 Tennessee case Andrews v. State, which explained that “the right to keep arms, necessarily involves the right to purchase them, to keep them in a state of efficiency for use, and to purchase and provide ammunition suitable for such arms"

In the Heller decision the USSC seems to agree that commercial sales of arms is constitutionally protected.

The case I'm referencing is Rogers v. Grewal, which hasn't technically made its way to the SCOTUS yet but an initial memo was handed to my state's government as part of the court's deliberations in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. City of New York. As far as I can tell that case hasn't been resolved yet, and the SCOTUS said that they will only consider taking up Rogers v. Grewal after that case has completed, so it will likely be awihle before any further action is taken.

Until then we're just chilling, watching New York fight its fights.
Last edited by Cisairse on Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

I have to give a Yossarian impressed whistle to using the same type of policy to defacto make abortions illegal being used to make guns illegal. There'll be more than a few people who have to thread a needle on this one. I wonder if getting it struck down at SCOTUS would be the precedent to get similar regulations that make abortions unavailable struck down.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

I have to give a Yossarian impressed whistle to using the same type of policy to defacto make abortions illegal being used to make guns illegal. There'll be more than a few people who have to thread a needle on this one. I wonder if getting it struck down at SCOTUS would be the precedent to get similar regulations that make abortions unavailable struck down.

It's one of those cases where principles matter - you have two ideologically opposed camps using the same tactics to destroy <thing they don't like>.

Either the tactic is a constitutionally valid one or it isn't, and both sides need to realize it.

(And, both should continue to be allowed, incidentally. Constitutional rights and all that.)
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:28 pm

Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure we all saw it last time it was posted.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:00 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:I have to give a Yossarian impressed whistle to using the same type of policy to defacto make abortions illegal being used to make guns illegal. There'll be more than a few people who have to thread a needle on this one. I wonder if getting it struck down at SCOTUS would be the precedent to get similar regulations that make abortions unavailable struck down.

It's one of those cases where principles matter - you have two ideologically opposed camps using the same tactics to destroy <thing they don't like>.

Either the tactic is a constitutionally valid one or it isn't, and both sides need to realize it.

(And, both should continue to be allowed, incidentally. Constitutional rights and all that.)

It's a bit of a game of chicken, really. Anti-abortionists aren't exactly going to abandon this tactic, the only way to stop them is if the practice is deemed an unconstitutional violation of rights. So the gun nerds have to decide if unfettered access to their shooty shooty bang bangs is more important then their control over women's reproductive rights. And this is my surprise face when the 'libertarian' types who sat on their hands while the rights of women were curtailed go gather their pitchforks and torches when access to the pop pop pew pew is restricted in the exact same way.

Ultimately, no this isn't the way to do it. But now that it's in their backyard maybe they can get off their ass and bring the practice to a close.

Spoiler alert, they won't. They'll find a way to carve this so that shooty pa-tooty is protected but not women. Again, surprise face.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 pm

Galloism wrote:It's one of those cases where principles matter - you have two ideologically opposed camps using the same tactics to destroy <thing they don't like>.

It's a bit of a game of chicken, really. Anti-abortionists aren't exactly going to abandon this tactic, the only way to stop them is if the practice is deemed an unconstitutional violation of rights. So the gun nerds have to decide if unfettered access to their shooty shooty bang bangs is more important then their control over women's reproductive rights. And this is my surprise face when the 'libertarian' types who sat on their hands while the rights of women were curtailed go gather their pitchforks and torches when access to the pop pop pew pew is restricted in the exact same way.

Ultimately, no this isn't the way to do it. But now that it's in their backyard maybe they can get off their ass and bring the practice to a close.

Spoiler alert, they won't. They'll find a way to carve this so that shooty pa-tooty is protected but not women. Again, surprise face.

I mean, why wouldn't they?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Galloism wrote:It's one of those cases where principles matter - you have two ideologically opposed camps using the same tactics to destroy <thing they don't like>.

this post comes off as particularly patronizing

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 pm

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a bit of a game of chicken, really. Anti-abortionists aren't exactly going to abandon this tactic, the only way to stop them is if the practice is deemed an unconstitutional violation of rights. So the gun nerds have to decide if unfettered access to their shooty shooty bang bangs is more important then their control over women's reproductive rights. And this is my surprise face when the 'libertarian' types who sat on their hands while the rights of women were curtailed go gather their pitchforks and torches when access to the pop pop pew pew is restricted in the exact same way.

Patronizing for CTOAN is... impressive.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:33 am

Welfare recipients should be required to get abortions if pregnant :^)
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 am

Bear Stearns wrote:Welfare recipients should be required to get abortions if pregnant :^)

eugenics for thee and not for me

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:37 am

Bear Stearns wrote:Welfare recipients should be required to get abortions if pregnant :^)

A disgusting view that should disqualify you from ever being taken seriously ever again.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:49 am

Diahon wrote:

That ain't eugenics.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 am

Nakena wrote:
Diahon wrote:

That ain't eugenics.

The difference is only in the intent, not the action. The action is very easily one of eugenics.

Do you agree with Bear Stearns?
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.
Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled
Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:59 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:The difference is only in the intent, not the action. The action is very easily one of eugenics.

Eugenics would ideally be aimed at improving the quality of the human stock and genetic material. It's not related to social factors but biological ones. Like preventing hereditary diseases is also eugenics.

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:Do you agree with Bear Stearns?

No.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:59 am

That's actually related to current politics, and to discussion in this thread. So why couldn't you find something to reply to instead of just dropping it cold like that?

Nonetheless I will take the bait. Good parenting is work of vital importance to society, we should judge parents by the quality of their work and scruple not one cent in providing for them and their children, as long as they parent well.

The dark side of that is that bad parents should lose the right to parent at all. And that's regardless of their earned income.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:01 am

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:

A disgusting view that should disqualify you from ever being taken seriously ever again.

He was taken serious outside of the RWDT group?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:02 am

Proctopeo wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a bit of a game of chicken, really. Anti-abortionists aren't exactly going to abandon this tactic, the only way to stop them is if the practice is deemed an unconstitutional violation of rights. So the gun nerds have to decide if unfettered access to their shooty shooty bang bangs is more important then their control over women's reproductive rights. And this is my surprise face when the 'libertarian' types who sat on their hands while the rights of women were curtailed go gather their pitchforks and torches when access to the pop pop pew pew is restricted in the exact same way.

Doesn't affect its accuracy in any way tho.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General