NATION

PASSWORD

Nihilism And Climate Change

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Kowani wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:UnderstandaBle, yes.

What’s with the color change?

I think it's trying to reference one of those "emoji" things.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Antityranicals wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
No, college is required to get jobs beacuse rich corporate fucks want to limit how meany people get jobs.

Nike hired a woman runner as a sponsor, they abused her by constantly bringing up weight, making her depressed.

No but Activision Blizzard is. They went down for cock town for China, censoring speech beacuse that winnie the pooh looking mother fucker Xi Jinping hates hearing about how his country suppresses freedom.

k

Still means CO2 is fucking up the planet tho

What do you mean "rich corporate f*cks want to limit jobs"? What could they possibly have to gain buy doing that? The "rich corporate f*cks" want to hire the best people for the job, for the lowest price. And that doesn't require a college degree. In a free market, companies would simply have their own aptitude tests for employees. In fact, they might even save money by not hiring those with college degrees.

And what that equation means is that even if the Earth's CO2 levels were to suddenly triple, the earth's temperature would only increase by about half a degree. So there's no "f*cking up the planet".

Going to keep it real chief im tired af right now

Ice is melting at dangerous levels rn half a degree would fuck every thing up

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Harnandia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:They're by nature subjective. Obviously I can't prove them because they're based not on data, but on emotions. Much like nihilism itself.

Then you should have been more clear in your previous comment, that your opinion on nihilism is a subjective one. It came across as a snarky 'know-it-all this is a fact' statement. Especially with the, dare I say cringeworthy and outdated, usage of the word ''edgy''.

Ok boomer.
Also, nihilism is not based on emotions, not my brand of nihilism anyway. It does not come from my feelings, but because there is no data on whether or not life/existence has any meaning or a point.

And herein lies the problem with nihilism. The underlying assumption that life does not have an intrinsic value, which is by all counts supported, is not the final philosophical assumption. This conclusion leads to another conclusion, which is faulty:
P1: No data exists to indicate that (human) life has intrinsic meaning.
C1: Life cannot be considered to have intrinsic meaning.
C2: Life cannot be considered to have meaning.
Given that meaning is defined by humans, the latter cannot be true.
Out of sheer curiosity, why do you despise nihilism so much?

Nihilism is the philosophical equivalent of a toddler whining about being hungry when he has broccoli on his plate. Humans are hungry at their default state and, although the toddler has a means to change that for himself, he refuses to do so because it's unpleasant to go through the process.
Similarly, nihilism postulates that human life lacks meaning at its default and ignores the individual ability to create meaning for oneself. It's entitled and lazy to simply expect the universe to hand you philosophical meaning and contentedness on a silver platter.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Harnandia wrote:As a rather radical nihilist, who doesn't care for the longevity of our planet nor for its living organisms, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar sentiment in regards to climate change? I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence. The universe does not value our lives, only we do.

Why does the meaning we attribute to our lives not matter? I value my life, why does it matter that the universe has no opinion on the matter and is incapable of having feelings or opinions on anything?
Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle, because nothing lasts forever, absolutely nothing. All things come to an end and whether the extinction of the entire human race (or the destruction of the planet) happens in a couple of decades or in a thousand years, is irrelevant to me.

I would think you'd at least want to be able to maintain a nice standard of living during your life, which climate change could interfere with.

Also, I do not support suffering, therefore yes, in a way I am hypocritical, because climate change will lead to the suffering of humans and animals and I do believe we should ATTEMPT to fight against it and eliminate it during our lifetimes and for the future generations. With that being said, I don't really 'care' for it, if we fail, my feelings would be indifferent)

So you don't support suffering, you want us to fight climate change not just for ourselves but also for unborn future humans... but you're an edgy nihilist?

It's hard not to feel a little nihilistic at times in the modern world if you're a rational, informed human being, but it doesn't have to be a negative thing that makes you indifferent to suffering and disaster.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:10 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Antityranicals wrote:What do you mean "rich corporate f*cks want to limit jobs"? What could they possibly have to gain buy doing that? The "rich corporate f*cks" want to hire the best people for the job, for the lowest price. And that doesn't require a college degree. In a free market, companies would simply have their own aptitude tests for employees. In fact, they might even save money by not hiring those with college degrees.

And what that equation means is that even if the Earth's CO2 levels were to suddenly triple, the earth's temperature would only increase by about half a degree. So there's no "f*cking up the planet".

Going to keep it real chief im tired af right now

Ice is melting at dangerous levels rn half a degree would fuck every thing up

As for the jobs thing, my company wants college degrees because they act as a certificate that you know what you're doing (especially for fields like engineering) and for the network. I've made deals with companies because their RFP was written by people I went to school with and we were able to link up on deals.
Last edited by Asle Leopolka on Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:15 am

I don't see higher meaning in most things but I want my children to survive so I wanna fight climate change
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:17 am

Harnandia wrote: I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence.

See this is where I take a hard turn in disagreeing because what of your children? Or even your children's, children and so on and so forth. It doesn't really even matter if you care if the world dies, it matters that those who need to actually live in it do.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Harnandia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:53 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Then you should have been more clear in your previous comment, that your opinion on nihilism is a subjective one. It came across as a snarky 'know-it-all this is a fact' statement. Especially with the, dare I say cringeworthy and outdated, usage of the word ''edgy''.

Ok boomer.

Cekoviu wrote:
Also, nihilism is not based on emotions, not my brand of nihilism anyway. It does not come from my feelings, but because there is no data on whether or not life/existence has any meaning or a point.

And herein lies the problem with nihilism. The underlying assumption that life does not have an intrinsic value, which is by all counts supported, is not the final philosophical assumption. This conclusion leads to another conclusion, which is faulty:
P1: No data exists to indicate that (human) life has intrinsic meaning.
C1: Life cannot be considered to have intrinsic meaning.
C2: Life cannot be considered to have meaning.
Given that meaning is defined by humans, the latter cannot be true.

That is literally not a problem in any way.
Cekoviu wrote:Nihilism is the philosophical equivalent of a toddler whining about being hungry when he has broccoli on his plate. Humans are hungry at their default state and, although the toddler has a means to change that for himself, he refuses to do so because it's unpleasant to go through the process.

Except the broccoli is not there, because there is no evidence of life having any objective meaning and no evidence that life/existence matters. Nihilism is the philosophical equivalent of being a person who denies life has any objective meaning and will do whatever the hell they find pleases their existence (e.g having a fulfilling career), so technically they 'create their own broccoli' in this sense, but that does not confirm that the 'broccoli' is already 'there'. Giving meaning to something and having objective meaning are two different things. Literally no one is whining or 'giving up on their lives'. Now, granted, I won't speak on the behalf of the entire 'nihilist community' (for lack of a better word), as there are surely depressed individuals who have given up on life and/or don't feel nor desire accomplishing anything. That does not mean that everyone behaves in such a matter nor does it mean that nihilism itself is bad. You are making ridiculously huge hyperbolic statements about nihilism.
Cekoviu wrote:Similarly, nihilism postulates that human life lacks meaning at its default and ignores the individual ability to create meaning for oneself. It's entitled and lazy to simply expect the universe to hand you philosophical meaning and contentedness on a silver platter.

Once again, absolutely false. Most nihilists create meaning for themselves, you can be a fully functioning nihilist with a set of morals, principles and goals. And false once again, nihilism does not in any way, shape or form imply that 'the universe owes someone anything' and give people special things on a silver platter just for being merely born.
In other words: you have no idea what you are talking about and you don't even know what nihilism is and what it stands for. Incredibly unnuanced viewpoints/arguments.

But each to their own. I suspect it is a waste of time to argue about this, as I am very confident in my perspectives, as are you of your own. We'll just end up spamming in an endless word vomit circle.

Harnandia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 am

Satuga wrote:
Harnandia wrote: I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence.

See this is where I take a hard turn in disagreeing because what of your children?

Don't have any and don't want any, why are you dragging the generic 'think of the children!' argument into this?
Satuga wrote:... Or even your children's, children and so on and so forth. It doesn't really even matter if you care if the world dies, it matters that those who need to actually live in it do.

It is going to be horrible for some future generation at some point, because nothing lasts forever, humanity will die out at some point. Someone will suffer regardless, when extinction slowly creeps up in a specific time period.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 am

Ayanka wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle

It seems to me you're trying way too hard to be edgy.

Or recently discovered Nietzsche.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:00 am

Harnandia wrote:
Satuga wrote:See this is where I take a hard turn in disagreeing because what of your children?

Don't have any and don't want any, why are you dragging the generic 'think of the children!' argument into this?
Satuga wrote:... Or even your children's, children and so on and so forth. It doesn't really even matter if you care if the world dies, it matters that those who need to actually live in it do.

It is going to be horrible for some future generation at some point, because nothing lasts forever, humanity will die out at some point. Someone will suffer regardless, when extinction slowly creeps up in a specific time period.

The Earth will be destroyed five billion years from now when it's consumed by the Sun, therefore blowing it up tomorrow makes no difference.

Harnandia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 am

Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Don't have any and don't want any, why are you dragging the generic 'think of the children!' argument into this?

The Earth will be destroyed five billion years from now when it's consumed by the Sun, therefore blowing it up tomorrow makes no difference.

Agreed.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:03 am

Harnandia wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:The Earth will be destroyed five billion years from now when it's consumed by the Sun, therefore blowing it up tomorrow makes no difference.

Agreed.

...Did I just see someone unironically agree with a badly constructed strawman?

Harnandia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:05 am

Harnandia wrote:Agreed.

...Did I just see someone unironically agree with a badly constructed strawman?

I agreed, because I indeed have such a sentiment.

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:08 am

Harnandia wrote:
Evil Dictators Happyland wrote:...Did I just see someone unironically agree with a badly constructed strawman?

I agreed, because I indeed have such a sentiment.

Serious question, why are you still alive if life is so pointless to you? Your life will eventually end, and going by your philosophy, that means that it has no value, and therefore ending it changes nothing. Why do you try to stay alive if you think that there's no reason to do so?

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 am

Harnandia wrote:As a rather radical nihilist, who doesn't care for the longevity of our planet nor for its living organisms, I was wondering if anyone else had a similar sentiment in regards to climate change? I don't really care if the human race survives for the next 100 or 1000000 years, as I see no objective meaning in existence. The universe does not value our lives, only we do. Seeing all of this paranoia about climate change simply makes me chuckle, because nothing lasts forever, absolutely nothing. All things come to an end and whether the extinction of the entire human race (or the destruction of the planet) happens in a couple of decades or in a thousand years, is irrelevant to me.

(Also, purely for clarification: I am not in denial of climate change, I am fully aware that it is happening via a combination of human and natural activities.
Also, I do not support suffering, therefore yes, in a way I am hypocritical, because climate change will lead to the suffering of humans and animals and I do believe we should ATTEMPT to fight against it and eliminate it during our lifetimes and for the future generations. With that being said, I don't really 'care' for it, if we fail, my feelings would be indifferent)

As someone who is on record as being neutral about the possibility of humanity going extinct: climate change is still a problem. It is causing causing suffering now, and that's only going to get worse. It's very unlikely that it won't have notable negative effects on you during your lifetime. It's not an "everything is good until the end, then everybody dies" kind of thing. It's a gradual increase in shittiness.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:25 am

Cekoviu wrote:Nihilism is edgy bullshit packaged into a philosophy and anyone who unironically believes in it should take a good, hard look at themselves.

What a surprise, someone who doesn't know what nihilism is.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Harnandia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am

Harnandia wrote:I agreed, because I indeed have such a sentiment.

Serious question, why are you still alive if life is so pointless to you? Your life will eventually end, and going by your philosophy, that means that it has no value, and therefore ending it changes nothing. Why do you try to stay alive if you think that there's no reason to do so?

Killing myself would be just as pointless as just continuing to live, so I have opted not to do it (not to mention I do not suffer from severe suicidal depression).
I have my own dreams, goals and aspirations. I also do enjoy the things life has to offer. You seem to have a very unnuanced perception of what it means to be a nihilist. A person can be a nihilist, while still have goals and desires to live their life until the end. Nihilism and 'suicidal tendencies' are not mutually exclusive. It is almost as if humans are complex creatures or something...
Last edited by Harnandia on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

NoAvailability
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby NoAvailability » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am

Honestly I see this as one of those things that'll solve themselves eventually, one way or the other. I mean, really, if we let greed kill the environment to the point we can no longer live in it, that's literally natural selection in play here. Climate change is humanity's equivalent to being too stupid to live.

So in a way, I'm Nihilistic about it as well: If it doesn't kill us, fine. If it does, to be honest here, we kinda deserve it, so that's acceptable as well.

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 am

My view of the world is a fairly tragic one. It's full of awfulness and there's no afterlife awaiting us. That said, I'm not a dick. I do not dismiss the fact that the way is set up in a way that benefits me to the extreme cost of many others and that the way things are now are literally destroying the world both for me, my own children, and the children to come for now going forth. We are not guaranteed our survival and as things stand, little to nothing is being done to address this approaching issue in a fashion that will not inevitably lead to both ecological and economical collapse.

So in response to the "Gov't tyranny" thing I say right on and urge the full nationalization of not just the energy sector but hopefully all of it

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

NoAvailability wrote:Honestly I see this as one of those things that'll solve themselves eventually, one way or the other. I mean, really, if we let greed kill the environment to the point we can no longer live in it, that's literally natural selection in play here. Climate change is humanity's equivalent to being too stupid to live.

So in a way, I'm Nihilistic about it as well: If it doesn't kill us, fine. If it does, to be honest here, we kinda deserve it, so that's acceptable as well.

You saying we 'deserve' it is highly entitled. The people who are suffering the worst both now and going into the future will be largely the people who have done the least to bring this crisis about.

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

Harnandia wrote:
Satuga wrote:See this is where I take a hard turn in disagreeing because what of your children?

Because most people do in fact have children, me being a 17 year old I'd rather you know live?

Sure nothing last forever but why would you want everything to end so soon when it can end in trillions of years from now?
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

Tekeristan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekeristan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:42 am

Satuga wrote:
Harnandia wrote:Don't have any and don't want any, why are you dragging the generic 'think of the children!' argument into this?

Because most people do in fact have children, me being a 17 year old I'd rather you know live?

Sure nothing last forever but why would you want everything to end so soon when it can end in trillions of years from now?

Entitlement in addition to them living a materially comfortable life, most probably. Consideration of others largely doesn't factor into the equation.

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:52 am

Tekeristan wrote:
Satuga wrote:Because most people do in fact have children, me being a 17 year old I'd rather you know live?

Entitlement in addition to them living a materially comfortable life, most probably. Consideration of others largely doesn't factor into the equation.

Likely yet sad.
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Harnandia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Harnandia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am

Satuga wrote:

And that is your subjective opinion. I am 20 and I don't care if we all collectively die tomorrow or in the next 100/1000/whatever years. I did clarify in my OP that I think we should combat climate change and at least attempt to solve the issue, if that satisfies you (not that I am looking for your validation or approval). If we fail, I would be indifferent.
Satuga wrote:Sure nothing last forever but why would you want everything to end so soon when it can end in trillions of years from now?

It does not make a difference whether the planet will be destroyed now or in [insert huge number here] years. Who cares, it does not matter (in my eyes at least).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General