NATION

PASSWORD

What are unique features about your state/province you like?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Arizona is riddled with problems, ranging from our atrocious state government, one that has been fucking awful since the Jan Brewer days, our horrid infrastructure, far-right politicians, and choking heat etc etc.

But I still love this place, our topography, climate and environment is surprisingly diverse. Where I live is one of the snowiest cities in the country, if I drive two hours south, I'm back in one of the sunniest, hottest cities in the world. Our natural environments are stunning, ranging from ponderosa pine forests (some of the only ones in the world) to awe-inspiring deserts that never seem to end. Unrelated caveat, our drivers are great, it's an established rule on our highways that you have to drive 15-20 mph over the speed limit. Following the speed of traffic going 85 in a 65 will never get you pulled over.

As an outdoorsy guy, I'm always busy, AZ is pretty neat.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm

My hometown is in Panay island. It's really shaped almost like a giant heart.

It also has multiple meanings.
Pan hay means "There is bread!" In Spanish and it also alludes to the Eucharistic bread in the Holy Sacrifice of the mass because the heart and body of Christ is also the Eucharistic bread.

Panay is named after Pannai which is also the former homeland of the Visayan ethnic group where we were once employed as the guardians of the Strait of Malacca the world's busiest maritime route.

I grew up in Iloilo City. Beautiful city when viewed from the sky.

The Queen of Spain gave us the title "La Muy Noble Ciudad de Iloilo" which translates to "The most loyal and noble", because we inculcate loyalty, faithfulness and nobility to extremes; being the last city to rebel against Spanish rule in the last colony to rebel against Spain.
Last edited by Isles of Metanoia on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
From the Philippines; Roman Catholic but Cosmopolitan; A member of the Alt-Lite.

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Arizona is riddled with problems, ranging from our atrocious state government, one that has been fucking awful since the Jan Brewer days, our horrid infrastructure, far-right politicians, and choking heat etc etc.

But I still love this place, our topography, climate and environment is surprisingly diverse. Where I live is one of the snowiest cities in the country, if I drive two hours south, I'm back in one of the sunniest, hottest cities in the world. Our natural environments are stunning, ranging from ponderosa pine forests (some of the only ones in the world) to awe-inspiring deserts that never seem to end. Unrelated caveat, our drivers are great, it's an established rule on our highways that you have to drive 15-20 mph over the speed limit. Following the speed of traffic going 85 in a 65 will never get you pulled over.

As an outdoorsy guy, I'm always busy, AZ is pretty neat.

Arizona is among favorite American states, the last one of the continental USA.
From the Philippines; Roman Catholic but Cosmopolitan; A member of the Alt-Lite.

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:20 pm

New Bremerton wrote:Sarawak, Malaysia, where I currently live: Nothing. Malaysia sucks.

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, where I grew up: The food. The people and their love of freedom and democracy. Their persistence and ingenuity in the face of relentless adversity and hostility toward them by Chinese-backed thugs in uniform. The sheer economic prosperity facilitated by the British after WWII. The memories of my childhood, the international schools I attended and the friends I've made over the years. How everything runs smoothly and on time (although the MTR has since been coopted by the HKPF at the expense of protesters and ordinary commuters.

England, United Kingdom, where I studied for a few years: A common language. A temperate climate. Snow in winter. The enthusiasm with which Christmas is celebrated, similar to how it is Stateside. The girls I could have dated. Doctor Who. Torchwood. Open borders with Wales and Scotland, which are beautiful places to visit. Vibrant, cosmopolitan London. The relatively free and open democratic political system. The Queen and the Royal Family.

I.love Sarawak. It's very Bornean. You have the world's Second Oldest Rainforest.

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Lillorainen wrote:
Geneviev wrote:My home state of Hessen has the Rhön mountains that I could see from my house, and they're absolutely beautiful. And we have less people, mostly, so that could be good or bad. And California is a very long state.

Guude! ;)

I'm from Germany, too - the State of NRW, to be precise. To other Germans around - I know what you're thinking, and you're right. We have a lot of issues in here, like, high unemployment, educational problems, financial issues, a rich-poor divide so obvious, that one's fate can already be predicted by which side of a river or a highway one is born on (albeit absolutely nowhere near most other countries of the world), problems with transport, law enforcement issues, yadda yadda yadda, but a medal has always two sides.
  • We have a rich and diverse regional culture - certainly a result of being one of the "Hyphen States", with the Rhinelands, Westphalia, and Lippe having been separate for many centuries up until immediately after WW2.
  • Contrary to popular belief, we're more than just one huge post-industrial ghetto metropolitan area - we also have beautiful landscapes, including, but not limited to, the Eifel, the Berg Lands, the Sauerland, as well as the Teutoburg Forest and its immediate surroundings.
  • We have quite nice cities like Cologne, Düsseldorf, Aachen, Münster, Paderborn ... the list could continue.
  • We have Bielefeld, the city that doesn't exist.
  • Carnival. Self-explanatory.
  • Rhenish dialect. Self-explanatory.
  • Football ("soccer") culture. Self-explanatory.
  • While the beer issue might be controversial (Kölsch, Alt, Pils, ...), we have enough variations of beer to serve almost everyone's tastes.
  • We're hearty, we're cheerful, we have a good sense of humor and self-irony. (The latter plays a particular role in the Ruhr area for some odd reason.)
While my home state may not necessarily be the one I enjoy being in the most, I'm willing to defend many aspects of it. ^^

Lol you come from Southern Germany AKA the richer part.

XD

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Not my province but it has almost similar views to this gorgeous island in Camiguin.

Breathtaking! And those soulful singers singing that classic amidst the God made background makes my eyes tear up abit.

https://youtu.be/2nY2BoXNQoA

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Well, the state that I happen to be living in? Err... we're home to the 4th largest city on Earth in terms of metro area, I guess. That's about it, really.

As for the state I am actually from? Well, you've got millennia-old history [which of course is being forgotten about].

As for the state I was born in? [Yes, it really is that complicated.] It's basically the entire country's cash cow, and exports pretty much the only thing that people know us for - oil.

But to be honest, all three of the states that I mentioned really suck as hell.

someone smuggle me outta here

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1! | 10/10 by DGES | Much hope: yes.
Low-effort responses since 15/5/20: 67½ | Good responses since 20/7/20: 5

mit zuckerguß

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:53 pm

-Astoria wrote:Well, the state that I happen to be living in? Err... we're home to the 4th largest city on Earth in terms of metro area, I guess. That's about it, really.

As for the state I am actually from? Well, you've got millennia-old history [which of course is being forgotten about].

As for the state I was born in? [Yes, it really is that complicated.] It's basically the entire country's cash cow, and exports pretty much the only thing that people know us for - oil.

But to be honest, all three of the states that I mentioned really suck as hell.

someone smuggle me outta here

Let me guess, the state that you currently live in is New York.

The state which you came from is Virginia, oldest state in the USA.

While the state you grew up in is Texas.

K I know so much about your States but you know so little of mine.

K thanks bye.

So sick and tired of always being the one dishing out love and understanding.
Last edited by Isles of Metanoia on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Isles of Metanoia wrote:Let me guess, the state that you currently live in is New York.

While the state you grew in is Texas.

K thanks bye.

Incorrect on every single count. Impressive. :p

And also the fact that I've never been to the Americas, let alone the US.

Updates! | Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | NS stats unused
Jul 21, 2020
✉ ABC News: Forests doing well, but climate change putting pressure on it | #musicparade: listeners choose their favourites | Refugee sews 1000 masks for his new hometown | NCP calls for aid package for companies | New evidence of large temples in Onsteyl | Weather: Footscray ☁ 14°C | Altas ☁ 16° | Esterpine ☁ 15° |  Naltgybal ☂⛆ 13° | Ceirtryn ☀ 17° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel  ☁ 13°

mit zuckerguß

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:05 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Isles of Metanoia wrote:Let me guess, the state that you currently live in is New York.

While the state you grew in is Texas.

K thanks bye.

Incorrect on every single count. Impressive. :p

You said "state"

I was confused.

According to this the world's fourth largest metro area, by area is Atalanta.

And the world's 4rth largest metro area by population is Greater New York.

Unless you're from Korea or something.

Since Seoul is the world's 4th largest city proper by population.

On second thought you're definitely Korean since Korea has that vaunted millennium long history. I just got confused by your State and Oil mentions. Since Korea doesn't usually administratively divide itself by states and there is barely any oil in Korea.
Last edited by Isles of Metanoia on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Isles of Metanoia wrote:
-Astoria wrote:Incorrect on every single count. Impressive. :p

You said "state"

I was confused.

-snip-

On second thought you're definitely Korean since Korea has that vaunted millennium long history. I just got confused by your State and Oil mentions. Since Korea doesn't usually administratively divide itself by states and there is barely any oil in Korea.

That's by the area of the city alone, and not the area of the entire metro area around it.
And no, for the same reasons as your last guess - I am not Korean.

Sauce.

Jul 21, 2020

mit zuckerguß

Isles of Metanoia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Isles of Metanoia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Isles of Metanoia wrote:
You said "state"

I was confused.

-snip-

That's by the area of the city alone, and not the area of the entire metro area around it.
And no, for the same reasons as your last guess - I am not Korean.

Sauce.

Oh I see. Lol I had a lot of Nigerian friends in the past. You have BBCs Big Black wooohooos XD

Also, I loved the name of your former President Good luck Jonathan. XD

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Seattle's got natural splendor, great food, fairly stable/temperate climate, and legal weed (the rest of WA has the same, to varying degrees, though the east is a little different food and climate-wise, but Seattle's pretty much the primate city and it's my hometown). New York has artificial splendor, great food, great nightlife, somewhat effective mass transit, and lots of stores that are open 24/7 (I've not really been around the rest of the state besides a brief foray out to Long Island, but it's also a primate city to an even greater extent, so NYC and NY are not unlike Seattle and WA, with upstate NY acting sorta like eastern WA in this analogy).
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Unique features of Florida include shitty beaches, shitty people, shitty services, shitty food, shitty jobs, shitty driving, shitty politics, and shitty weather.

Someone please help get me out of here.
Last edited by Trollzyn the Infinite on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm from Michigan. Some cool features:
-Wherever you are in Michigan, you're never more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.
-Petoskey stones (fossils) are found all over our northern shores
-We have the most lighthouses of any state
-Home to Motown
-Delicious coney dogs and Faygo
-Pretty good parks like the Sleeping Bear Dunes
-Beautiful winter snow
-No toll roads
-We're shaped like a rabbit jumping over a mitten.

Some not-so-cool features:
-Flint water crisis
-Pretty ugly flag
-Gerrymandering
-Too many potholes
-Can get really cold
-NEVER ENDING ROAD CONSTRUCTION!

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:16 pm

I'm in the Appalachian foothills of my state.

The autumns here are something else.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Czechostan wrote:-Pretty ugly flag

North Dakota and Connecticut would like a word.

Jul 21, 2020

mit zuckerguß

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Isles of Metanoia wrote:My hometown is in Panay island. It's really shaped almost like a giant heart.

(Image)

Pan hay means "There is bread!" In Spanish and it also alludes to the Eucharistic bread in the Holy Sacrifice of the mass because the heart and body of Christ is also the Eucharistic bread.

Panay is named after Pannai which is also the former homeland of the Visayan ethnic group where we were once employed as the guardians of the Strait of Malacca the world's busiest maritime route.

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

The Queen of Spain gave us the title "La Muy Noble Ciudad de Iloilo" which translates to "The most loyal and noble", because we inculcate loyalty, faithfulness and nobility to extremes; being the last city to rebel against Spanish rule in the last colony to rebel against Spain.

Pan in Spanish in term comes from greek, from the goddess of nature named pan
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:48 pm

My state has picture rocks and the sleeping bear dunes and the best nightclubs in the Midwest such as casablanca and electricity. Come take a trip, to pure Michigan

...but avoid flint and Detroit and make sure to be inside before dark
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:59 pm

From my home province: Muniellos national park and forest reserve and the picturesque villages of Taramundi. I miss Asturias so much.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Isles of Metanoia wrote:My hometown is in Panay island. It's really shaped almost like a giant heart.

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

Uhm ... Pan "is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, nature of mountain wilds, rustic music and impromptus, and companion of the nymphs.[2] He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr. With his homeland in rustic Arcadia, he is also recognized as the god of fields, groves, wooded glens and often affiliated with sex; because of this, Pan is connected to fertility and the season of spring. The ancient Greeks also considered Pan to be the god of theatrical criticism."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Uhm ... Pan "is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, nature of mountain wilds, rustic music and impromptus, and companion of the nymphs.[2] He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr. With his homeland in rustic Arcadia, he is also recognized as the god of fields, groves, wooded glens and often affiliated with sex; because of this, Pan is connected to fertility and the season of spring. The ancient Greeks also considered Pan to be the god of theatrical criticism."

K, the God of nature

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... Pan "is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, nature of mountain wilds, rustic music and impromptus, and companion of the nymphs.[2] He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr. With his homeland in rustic Arcadia, he is also recognized as the god of fields, groves, wooded glens and often affiliated with sex; because of this, Pan is connected to fertility and the season of spring. The ancient Greeks also considered Pan to be the god of theatrical criticism."

K, the God of nature

And a theater critic!
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

<==== runs
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... Pan "is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, nature of mountain wilds, rustic music and impromptus, and companion of the nymphs.[2] He has the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat, in the same manner as a faun or satyr. With his homeland in rustic Arcadia, he is also recognized as the god of fields, groves, wooded glens and often affiliated with sex; because of this, Pan is connected to fertility and the season of spring. The ancient Greeks also considered Pan to be the god of theatrical criticism."

<==== runs

You can't run that fast anymore.

There's a story I read somewhere about a newspaper editorial board meeting to decide who would replace their war correspondent, who had recently been killed. Someone suggested their theater critic, a man know for writing scathing reviews. "No, no," someone cried, "What if he doesn't like the war?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General