Page 1 of 27

Old people shouldn't be able to vote

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:39 pm
by Iwassoclose
Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the detriment of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:41 pm
by Munkcestrian Republic
Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm
by Anglia-Saxia
No,voting rights should be to everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:43 pm
by Magnum Exitium
No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:44 pm
by Klorgia1
If they are still intelligent, if they are wise, and if they are affected by politics, they should vote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:45 pm
by Nyeznakomka
Da.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm
by The British American Colonies
I disagree.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:47 pm
by D V
Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb

This. Age brings wisdom and experience, most of the time. People have their reasons for the way they vote, and not liking how someone votes is by no means an excuse to take away their right to vote. Especially since whatever happens also affects them. Sometimes far more adversely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:48 pm
by Iwassoclose
Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb


That's a hot take. I find that the elderly are far more prone to be swayed by propaganda and while I am not saying young people aren't, just living longer does not mean it makes you wiser.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm
by Luxenermy
I have a tingly feeling this thread was started by the kind of person who complains all the time about "boomers" on twitter and treats the older generation as a scapegoat for all the world's problems.

Jesus christ mate, of course, they should vote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:51 pm
by Jetan
Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb

I mean, I don't necessarily agree with the OP, but you're incorrect as well. Elderly people don't somehow vote more sensibly than younger people, they vote for things that benefit themselves. The problem is that the average pensioner is more likely to vote than the average young or middle aged person so their votes are chased by the politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm
by Newmanistan
Iwassoclose wrote:Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the determinant of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?


Politicians chase them because they vote.
If younger people were more reliable in voting, they would chase them.
End story.

Though recently, younger people have been better, I will admit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm
by Samadhi
There shouldn't be enough government to have a need to vote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm
by Iwassoclose
Luxenermy wrote:I have a tingly feeling this thread was started by the kind of person who complains all the time about "boomers" on twitter and treats the older generation as a scapegoat for all the world's problems.

Jesus christ mate, of course, they should vote.


I shy away from social media and you can check my post history on how many times I have used "boomer" as an insult. The answer is 0, just to save you time.

And they don't need to be scapegoated as that implies there were other parties making decisions when they were. They are responsible and to say otherwise wouldn't make logical sense. Anyway that's looking into the past, I am more interested in the future

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:58 pm
by Major-Tom
If you're above the age of eighteen, you should be able to vote. Period.

Unless you're one of those weirdos who eats pizza with a fork and knife. Then the right to vote should be rescinded.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:01 pm
by Page
Let old people vote, let 16 year olds vote, let convicts and prisoners vote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:03 pm
by Cappuccina
Page wrote:Let old people vote, let 16 year olds vote, let convicts and prisoners vote.

Sixteen years olds and prisoners, hell no. Former cons and old people, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:05 pm
by Page
Cappuccina wrote:
Page wrote:Let old people vote, let 16 year olds vote, let convicts and prisoners vote.

Sixteen years olds and prisoners, hell no. Former cons and old people, yes.


There are places with both of these things and their democracy continues to work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm
by San Lumen
Iwassoclose wrote:Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the determinant of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?

Absolutely not. If you are 18 and a citizen you have the right to vote. period, goodbye, the end

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:07 pm
by Costa Fierro
>age brings wisdom and experience
>CLIMATE CHANGE IS A SCAM I HAVEN'T SEEN THE SEA RISE IN MY 40 YEARS LIVING NEXT TO IT

Good joke guys, 10/10.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 pm
by Jetan
Cappuccina wrote:
Page wrote:Let old people vote, let 16 year olds vote, let convicts and prisoners vote.

Sixteen years olds and prisoners, hell no. Former cons and old people, yes.

Depriving prisoners of voting rights gives a the ruling administration a bit too convenient way to stifle opposition.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 pm
by Cappuccina
Page wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:Sixteen years olds and prisoners, hell no. Former cons and old people, yes.


There are places with both of these things and their democracy continues to work just fine.

I wouldn't trust a child to have any decision making power in the political realm.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm
by Jabberwocky
I'm 66. I question whether YOUNG people are qualified to vote. So many seem ignorant of history. Small wonder...they have so little of it themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 pm
by Heloin
Any argument to disenfranchise people who don't vote how you want them to vote is just a more roundabout argument against voting and is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:13 pm
by Cappuccina
Jabberwocky wrote:I'm 66. I question whether YOUNG people are qualified to vote. So many seem ignorant of history. Small wonder...they have so little of it themselves.

Bingo!