NATION

PASSWORD

Old people shouldn't be able to vote

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Most 18 year olds haven’t faced the real world yet and often gravitate towards naive ideas, such as if a politician was proposing giving out free money. Very little college aged kids are informed enough to make an educated decision


Indeed, but if a military can draft you, You should have some say in how you are being used. So I think 18 is the right age for the franchise

Drafting varies by country, I don’t think a draft should exist and if it does, it should apply to everyone, not just males

Vassenor wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Most 18 year olds haven’t faced the real world yet and often gravitate towards naive ideas, such as if a politician was proposing giving out free money. Very little college aged kids are informed enough to make an educated decision


So in other words because they might not vote the way you want they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Not really, 18 year olds haven’t faced the real world though, which imo starts after graduating college or graduating secondary school if you choose not to go to college
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

User avatar
Piscina
Secretary
 
Posts: 30
Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Piscina » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Personally, I think that as long as the voter has no mental problems, there should be no maximum age. I also think that minimum voting age should be lowered to sixteen, and that in an alternate world where it would be feasible, then everyone should have a mandatory IQ test once that reach sixteen, and that people who score below one hundred on that test should be barred from voting.
My RP characters:
Voluisse Illudere (Intrigue in court(Discontinued))

User avatar
Scymira
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Aug 17, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Scymira » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Great Kysilia wrote:I do seriously question the wisdom in disenfranchising the group which objectively has the most life experience under their belt all because they lean Republican.


This was about ALL old people. If you're feeling triggered, it's most likely a subconscious realization that you made a bad choice. Don't be mad at other people for that.

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Piscina wrote:Personally, I think that as long as the voter has no mental problems, there should be no maximum age. I also think that minimum voting age should be lowered to sixteen, and that in an alternate world where it would be feasible, then everyone should have a mandatory IQ test once that reach sixteen, and that people who score below one hundred on that test should be barred from voting.

Almost everything about this is wrong
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

User avatar
Piscina
Secretary
 
Posts: 30
Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Piscina » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Piscina wrote:Personally, I think that as long as the voter has no mental problems, there should be no maximum age. I also think that minimum voting age should be lowered to sixteen, and that in an alternate world where it would be feasible, then everyone should have a mandatory IQ test once that reach sixteen, and that people who score below one hundred on that test should be barred from voting.

Almost everything about this is wrong


In what way? Constructive criticism is appreciated.
My RP characters:
Voluisse Illudere (Intrigue in court(Discontinued))

User avatar
Heloin
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8419
Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Heloin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Piscina wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Almost everything about this is wrong


In what way? Constructive criticism is appreciated.

If you think IQ tests should be reason for disenfranchisement then you don't know what an IQ test is.
Don't waste any time mourning. Organise! - Joe Hill

Penguin and Rhodie Girl in her 20's. Proudly Zimbabwean, living in sunny and humid Florida. Industrial Workers of the World
I'm FDA Approved. In small doses I can provide funny anecdotes and musical references to songs you've never heard of.
Rugby fan. Go Springboks, Go Sables! Singing Queen of NSG. I draw things. Take a look!
Vote Count Binface

User avatar
Jetan
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12216
Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jetan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Piscina wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Almost everything about this is wrong


In what way? Constructive criticism is appreciated.

You're essentially calling for franchisement based on genetics.
Second Finn, after Imm
........Геть Росію.........
Україна вільна і єдина
Beholder's Lair - a hobby blog
28 years old, patriotic Finnish guy interested in history. Hobbies include miniatures, all kinds of games, books, anime and manga.
Always open to TGs. Pro/Against

User avatar
Scymira
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Aug 17, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Scymira » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Great Kysilia wrote:
Scymira wrote:
This was about ALL old people. If you're feeling triggered, it's most likely a subconscious realization that you made a bad choice. Don't be mad at other people for that.

I made the bad choice because I don't wanna disenfranchise people?

Interesting.


Nice try. You know that's not what I was talking about (if you're still mentally able to vote legitimately, that is).

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Piscina wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Almost everything about this is wrong


In what way? Constructive criticism is appreciated.

1. Sixteen is even worse, because in almost every democratic country, 16 year olds are still in secondary school, which means they are barely directly affected by any policies made and have not faced the real world at all

2. IQ should be used to decide who gets to vote? IQ is the single worst measure anyone could take
Last edited by Aureumterra on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

User avatar
Skyhooked
Senator
 
Posts: 3716
Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Skyhooked » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Piscina wrote:Personally, I think that as long as the voter has no mental problems, there should be no maximum age. I also think that minimum voting age should be lowered to sixteen, and that in an alternate world where it would be feasible, then everyone should have a mandatory IQ test once that reach sixteen, and that people who score below one hundred on that test should be barred from voting.


That's awesome, I guess. However, IQ test has it's share of flaws and while it can help in diagnosis of various intellectual disabilities, it may not determine exact level of intelligence. Example: According to ol' Wechsler, I do have awesome 133, but sometimes, I can do or say pretty stupid things. And not all cases of my screw ups are explained by Asperger's I have.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats can be used too.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=300

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: All booze 20% discount. Despite a common stereotype, we are not crime ridden place.

Refreshing News:
Shawn Bjornson decided to spread Skyhookedian influence by destroying prominent gangs and cartels in Central America. Warbands are on the hunt, engagning MS-13! Skyhooked is ready for the flow of loot!

User avatar
Gagium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1282
Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Gagium » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Aureumterra wrote:18 year olds haven’t faced the real world though

Okay, boomer.
E

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31771
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Piscina wrote:Personally, I think that as long as the voter has no mental problems, there should be no maximum age. I also think that minimum voting age should be lowered to sixteen, and that in an alternate world where it would be feasible, then everyone should have a mandatory IQ test once that reach sixteen, and that people who score below one hundred on that test should be barred from voting.

How about no? We had literacy tests to vote. They were rigged to be nearly impossible to pass. Their intent was to keep certain people from voting so let’s not reopen that door

User avatar
Scymira
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Aug 17, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Scymira » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Piscina wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Almost everything about this is wrong


In what way? Constructive criticism is appreciated.


I think the main issue I'd have with this is people under 100 IQ being barred from voting. IQ tests aren't a static thing, and are inaccurate for a lot of people including most rural dwellers and poor childrens who often face many problems in school (including this one). Plus, an IQ north of 75 or so is generally considered to be capable.

User avatar
Scymira
Secretary
 
Posts: 26
Founded: Aug 17, 2019
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Scymira » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Great Kysilia wrote:
Scymira wrote:
Nice try. You know that's not what I was talking about (if you're still mentally able to vote legitimately, that is).

Oooh, attacking someone's mental health now, are we?

Classy.

Btw, I'm 22.


Doesn't change anything I said.

User avatar
Earthbound Immortal Squad
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 403
Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the detriment of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?


This sounds like one step closer to a dead democracy. Also you assume that older people have no interest in younger generations or do you forget about their children or even grandchildren.

This isn't about the "oppression" of the young at all it is about the fact of todays culture where if someone disagrees with your opinion then they should be ridiculed or barred from their own opinion and in many cases many older people disagree with many younger people. This sounds like an argument I heard in the Brexit debate time and time where because someone disagrees is too old then their decision was naïve or not of sound mind.
Last edited by Earthbound Immortal Squad on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry Christmas since it is Christmas day every day.

If you want to respond to one of my messages please actually argue your point rather than resorting to slandering my point. It is a practice that young children and politicians use try to be respectful.

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Gagium wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:18 year olds haven’t faced the real world though

Okay, boomer.

I am technically a zoomer because I was born just after 1995 :p

But I don’t think “generations” as we put them have any meaning at all, someone born in December 1995 probably has similar life experiences as someone born in January 1996 (assuming factors such as economic position and country are the same)
Last edited by Aureumterra on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

User avatar
Gagium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1282
Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Gagium » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:55 pm

Great Kysilia wrote:
Gagium wrote:Okay, boomer.

It's kind of true. You're just leaving high school at that point.

Unless you dropped out of high school once you legally could to work - Or dropped out for any reason, for that matter, like 6% of students (here in America, at least)..I suppose that they've faced "the real world".

Or if you've enlisted in the armed forces. I'd say that constitutes "facing the real world" enough..

EDIT: And that's in the Western world. I'm sure there's several, several millions of people who live in third-world countries who never got the chance to graduate from a high school and have to work practically all day every day for their families to be able to survive.
Last edited by Gagium on Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Gagium wrote:
Great Kysilia wrote:It's kind of true. You're just leaving high school at that point.

Unless you dropped out of high school once you legally could to work - Or dropped out for any reason, for that matter, like 6% of students (here in America, at least)..I suppose that they've faced "the real world".

Dropouts and enlistees are a minority as compared to the larger population
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

User avatar
Piscina
Secretary
 
Posts: 30
Founded: Aug 20, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Piscina » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Everyone has made some very good points, and I recognise that such a system would be incredibly, horribly flawed in real life. I was simply annoyed at some people I know of that vote for or against candidates for really random and stupid reasons. Sorry if I vented my annoyance onto you.
My RP characters:
Voluisse Illudere (Intrigue in court(Discontinued))

User avatar
Imperium Polskie
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 24
Founded: Oct 25, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Imperium Polskie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb

no, they won't.
I disagree with the OP, but simpky living more does not make you wiser.
They just vote for things that
a. benefit them, or
b.benefit billionaires.
That's the simple logic.

User avatar
Brooklyn and Queens
Secretary
 
Posts: 32
Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brooklyn and Queens » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Um, no. Everyone has a *right* to vote, regardless of opinion or backgrounds. Putting restrictions on that could act as a gateway for politicians to manipulate elections in their favor.
The (supposedly) Honorable Mayor of The City of New York
Catch the latest NYC news in the NY Post

User avatar
Narland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1067
Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Iwassoclose wrote:Just like there is an age restriction for when people can vote there should also be an age restriction for when people have to stop voting.

These group of people are most actively chased after by politicians to the detriment of young people who are the main or future participants in the economy and future of a country.

Do you agree with this proposition?

There is one thing that affects old people the most. It is called death. Nothing aggravates me more than dead people voting.

User avatar
Gagium
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1282
Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Gagium » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Gagium wrote:Unless you dropped out of high school once you legally could to work - Or dropped out for any reason, for that matter, like 6% of students (here in America, at least)..I suppose that they've faced "the real world".

Dropouts and enlistees are a minority as compared to the larger population

Great Kysilia wrote:
Gagium wrote:Unless you dropped out of high school once you legally could to work - Or dropped out for any reason, for that matter, like 6% of students (here in America, at least)..I suppose that they've faced "the real world".

Or if you've enlisted in the armed forces. I'd say that constitutes "facing the real world" enough..

Yes, they might have.

But those aren't the majority of high school students.

They're enough to prove your overgeneralizations that "18 year olds haven’t faced the real world though" wrong.

Regardless, I could certainly bring up every conceivable instance in which a number of 18 year olds have "faced" the "real" world (Do most highschoolers live in a simulated virtual world until they're 18??), though I believe you get the point.
E

User avatar
Gormwood
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6278
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gormwood » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Next you'll say the elderly should be dumped on a mountain.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Aureumterra
Senator
 
Posts: 4316
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm

Great Kysilia wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:I am technically a zoomer because I was born just after 1995 :p

But I don’t think “generations” as we put them have any meaning at all, someone born in December 1995 probably has similar life experiences as someone born in January 1996 (assuming factors such as economic position and country are the same)

No, you're a Millennial.

1997 was the cutoff point for Millennials.

I was born in ’97
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Global Politics Roleplay!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Currently running for city council in Kópavogur, follow news here (Translated from Icelandic to English, expect errors)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Antityranicals, Aureumterra, Churachaka, Deacarsia, DieOfBetes, Dresderstan, Dumb Ideologies, Estanglia, Ethel mermania, Fartsniffage, Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States, Greed and Death, Heloin, Ifreann, Imperium Romanum Sanctis, Joohan, Kasa Tkoth Sphere, Kotar, Kowani, Loben The 2nd, Nakena, Neanderthaland, Necroghastia, New Legland, Nouveau Yathrib, Oxes Republic, Proctopeo, Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana, Republic of Izealia, Salus Maior, San Montalbano, Satima, Shia Kin, The Greater Ohio Valley, The Huskar Social Union, The Rich Port, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads