NATION

PASSWORD

Old people shouldn't be able to vote

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10635
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 am

Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions.


Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
Science Under Attack
Autism/Aspergers
History of Games
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.


Charlie Brooker wrote:It's spider season. Every year, right about now, thousands of the godless eight-legged bastards emerge from the bowels of hell (or the garden, whichever's nearest) with the sole intention of tormenting humankind. Spider season is like a live-action version of the videogame Doom.

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 54507
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:53 am

Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions. This is crazier than "voters should be 16", because at least that one isn't completely dumb


Will old people make better decisions? Trump is old. Is he making good decisions? :p
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
Blaat - all fluff, all action
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16380
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:56 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.


Brexit is good. It means that the UK will get less Muslim and poor country immigration than would otherwise happen because of the EU's radically liberal politics. Sufficiently nationalist Britons shouldn't take the transformation of their country lying down, if its arguably for the worse.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18867
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:59 am

Saiwania wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.


Brexit is good. It means that the UK will get less Muslim and poor country immigration than would otherwise happen because of the EU's radically liberal politics.

That's the meme, but in actuality, it probably won't change our immigration policies at all.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:00 am

New haven america wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You'd think that, but one of Fox News' largest demographics are old white people.

Well, and almost all "influencers" on "youtube", "instagram" and other "social media" are mostly viewed by "old white people"... :rofl:
In fact, who cares about who is watching a known "US of A right-winger media" ? The world is bigger than your puny little US of A, you know ? This at least you should have learned from being in NS...

User avatar
Marxist Germany
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1525
Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Corporate Bordello

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:02 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions.


Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.

Your true colours have slipped, you're only pissed off with old people because they don't vote the way you like them to?
Country represents RL views mostly. Not Marxist anymore.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, and GA#477

Ex-delegate of The United Federations; citizen of 10000 Islands | Gaming User#0721(Discord)
RP name: Germany
The National Factbook (WIP)
Ambassador Klaus Schmidt
Political Compass
PolitiStates Result
Pro:Laissez-faire, Nationalism, Guns, Free speech, Christianity, Same-sex marriage, United Ireland.
Anti:Extreme Progressivism, Abortion, Socialism, Interventionism, Mass-migration.
A high school student aged 15 from Ireland, living in Co. Dublin. Interested in politics, gaming, and history.

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15680
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:05 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:There never comes a point where you're too old for the government to screw up your life; therefore, you're never too old to vote against the government screwing up your life.

Seriously though, the laws of a nation affect all its citizens, so it's important everyone is able to vote for their representation in government, unless there's a really good reason they shouldn't be allowed to do so, such as the fact that young children lack the ability to understand political policy or what policies would benefit them (though hey, maybe dessert before dinner would be a policy that could garner support from all sides?). Seniors, as long as they retain the ability to think for themselves, must retain the right to vote.


Sometimes, the laws of another country affect citizens of other countries.

If that is the metric, I want voting rights in the USA.

Clever. But any argument can be drawn to extreme conclusions if applied incorrectly. I'd rather not start a new world order, thanks. I was pretty clearly talking about proper representation of citizens. If my elected representative is making decisions that are affecting you in another country, then you'll need to elect a representative who will respond to mine in the manner you deem appropriate. Three cheers for politicking (Or not. The politicians don't need the ego-boost).
Call me Idz. Now with 111% more stupid comments!
That time I got modded for completing 2nd grade
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10635
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.

Your true colours have slipped, you're only pissed off with old people because they don't vote the way you like them to?


I'd say it's because of them not knowing or not caring about how warped housing and education costs have become, also destroying the environment. You know just the little things.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
Science Under Attack
Autism/Aspergers
History of Games
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.


Charlie Brooker wrote:It's spider season. Every year, right about now, thousands of the godless eight-legged bastards emerge from the bowels of hell (or the garden, whichever's nearest) with the sole intention of tormenting humankind. Spider season is like a live-action version of the videogame Doom.

User avatar
Idzequitch
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15680
Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:Your true colours have slipped, you're only pissed off with old people because they don't vote the way you like them to?


I'd say it's because of them not knowing or not caring about how warped housing and education costs have become, also destroying the environment. You know just the little things.

So would you say only the well-informed deserve a say in their representation in government?
Call me Idz. Now with 111% more stupid comments!
That time I got modded for completing 2nd grade
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

User avatar
DiAmoND snOw
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 19
Founded: Jan 07, 2019
Anarchy

Postby DiAmoND snOw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:09 am

The removal of voting rights is a serious human rights violation.
People who love civic rights don't think this idea even if there are many foolish old male.
In my opinion, teenagers should have voting rights rather.
I am 30 years old, but when I was a teenager, I was intelligent, enthusiastic about politics than today.
I am so old and I can only deamr of technological singularity and immortality.
And after the technological singularity, the life is infinite so the age is unlimited
All citizens from 12 to billion years of age have the right to vote.
Last edited by DiAmoND snOw on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Feminist Singularitarian Libertarian Lesbian BitcoinInvestor
Better dead than red!
Smash the patriarchy!
Dokdo is Korean territory!

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:11 am

Agarntrop wrote:To be honest, I favour a system that would financially reward people for voting. This would provide more incentives for the young to vote and would end the disgraceful generational prejudice of politicians as a result.

That´s, I have to state, is complete bullshit; if you have to be "monetary incented" to use your right to vote and somehow participate in how the state you´re living in goes, you simply forfeit this right willingly and therefore have to live by an outcome people "decided" (usually by majority) for you.
Voting is a fundamental right in democracy, and not something one has to be "nudged to"...

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16380
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:12 am

Incredible Bums wrote:The world is bigger than your puny little US of A, you know ? This at least you should have learned from being in NS...


American citizens are in the unique position of almost never having to leave the country if they so choose, and the US is far bigger than most of Europe put together.

Relatively few Americans even bother getting a passport if the country itself has tons of places to go. For most US citizens, going overseas is typically only for those who can afford a vacation, are retiring to where it simply costs much less to live, or are traveling for lower prices for something such as for medical tourism.
Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:13 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
What were they thinking when they earned that pension?


Probably trying to remember when they last went to the toilet, or what pedal makes the car go vroom.

...just like everyone else... :p

User avatar
SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10635
Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 am

Idzequitch wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
I'd say it's because of them not knowing or not caring about how warped housing and education costs have become, also destroying the environment. You know just the little things.

So would you say only the well-informed deserve a say in their representation in government?


In theory yes, though in practice it's virtually impossible to designate who is "well informed" enough to vote, as then you get into an argument of book smarts vs street smarts etc.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
Science Under Attack
Autism/Aspergers
History of Games
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.


Charlie Brooker wrote:It's spider season. Every year, right about now, thousands of the godless eight-legged bastards emerge from the bowels of hell (or the garden, whichever's nearest) with the sole intention of tormenting humankind. Spider season is like a live-action version of the videogame Doom.

User avatar
Saiwania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16380
Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Saiwania » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:21 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:In theory yes, though in practice it's virtually impossible to designate who is "well informed" enough to vote, as then you get into an argument of book smarts vs street smarts etc.


We could go back to the old system of linking voting rights with property ownership. Those who own real estate usually are informed about financial stuff enough to be informed about other things such as politics. But this would disenfranchise everyone who rents and probably the majority of the population.
Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.

User avatar
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 645
Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:38 am

Lat-Errier wrote:
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia wrote:Considering that absolute monarchs such as Louis XVI and Nikolai II did a pisspoor job of actually tackling poverty and developing their own country properly, I would take your "promises" of glory with a pinch of salt. After all, authoritarian countries today have the tendency to be more impoverished and corrupt than their democratic counterparts, where leaders are at least formally accountable to the people, who can vote them out at any moment. Absolute monarchs howewer can only be deposed by a violent revolution, which may or may not succeed depending on just how ruthless said king/queen is.

There isn't a single proper Christian Monarchy in the entire world, except for technically the Vatican and Liechtenstein.

And a couple bad rulers aren't an excuse to vilify an entire mode of government, otherwise democracy would be the best target. People like Nixon and Trump were elected democratically. Or what about FDR, who put his citizen in internment camps for being Japanese?

Monarchy has also had such rulers as Saint Louis IX, Charlemagne, Alfred the Great, William of Normandy, etc...
Monarchy has an over-abundance of rulers who changed things in their countries and accomplished great things. Democracy doesn't, it's mediocre at best.

Aside from the fact that you have just invoked whataboutery to deflect legitimate criticism of feudal monarchs, FDR and Nixon's actions don't even lift a candle to the atrocities and misery inflicted by absolutist monarchs throughout human history. And you are claiming democracy doesn't have its great leaders? That's where you are wrong, kiddo. Thorvald Stauning in Denmark, Einar Gerhardsen of Norway, and Hjalmar Branting along with Per Albin Hansson of Sweden did implement large-scale socioeconomic reforms that greatly contributed to their nations' development, and so did Clement Attlee in Britain.

Charles de Gaulle also spearheaded the Free French resistance in Africa and eventually liberated France itself, and during his presidency, he helped restore French prestige on the world stage. Other examples of great leaders of democratic nations include the aforementioned FDR (Who saved the American economy from total collapse and spearheaded the war effort with the Soviets against the Nazis), General Aung San in Burma, Nelson Mandela in South Africa, and Bruno Kreisky in Austria.

User avatar
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 645
Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:42 am

Lat-Errier wrote:
Kubra wrote: Oh yes, grand things, I'm sure the plundered are comforted knowing they will be reborn in his glory. But will William? Will Charlemagne?
How exactly do you *not* venerate these mean, in your celebration of their conquests? Perhaps you should instead find examples of more beautiful souls, such as the one called Christ?

An excellent example. Christ Himself is called king of kings, lord of lords and king of heaven. He makes many mentions of giving respect to the king, and that the monarch is the representative of God. He is the very reason why I am a monarchist.

Not only that, but democracies tend to be completely opposed to Christ.

Poland is a democracy despite being predominantly Christian, and so is Canada, the United States, Brazil, Ecuador, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Australia, Slovakia, Hungary, Ukraine, Lithuania, Italy, and Croatia.

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 am

Kubra wrote:
Lat-Errier wrote: Oh, instead of having the "liar and cheater" foisted on us by virtue of being a habsburg?

In fact, all of the Habsburgs were "liars and cheaters"; I should know about, because they ruled my own country for many centuries...
Better to somehow chose your favorite "liar and cheater" at least than to have to accept whoever is set in place by "divine birthright".

User avatar
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 645
Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:44 am

Saiwania wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:In theory yes, though in practice it's virtually impossible to designate who is "well informed" enough to vote, as then you get into an argument of book smarts vs street smarts etc.


We could go back to the old system of linking voting rights with property ownership. Those who own real estate usually are informed about financial stuff enough to be informed about other things such as politics. But this would disenfranchise everyone who rents and probably the majority of the population.

I am not neccessarily a economic guru or a master investor, but I am still politically aware and knowledgeable, and I would definitely be able to research a candidate's actual record and make a informed decision on how should I vote.

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 am

Lat-Errier wrote:Monarchy is simply the only way to have a christian government. Monarchy is rooted in Christianity, and democracy is opposed to it.

This shows exactly how far your understanding and/or education of history goes...
Ever heard of ancient kings, pharaohs, radjahs, emperors and others of this kind ? Christianity roots back a mere twothousand years, monarchy is waaaaayyyy older.
And then, since I´m strongly opposed to Christianity (as well as any other religion)... :p

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49341
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Magnum Exitium wrote:No. This is ridiculous lol. Elderly people have significantly more life experience than the younger generation and will make far better decisions.


Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.


The Boomers the ones who led both the civil rights and women's liberation movements.

And the Science is clear 16 year olds by and large are not fully developed so no we should not entrust the future of the country to them.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Andsed
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6850
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Andsed » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 am

I mean they should. Disenfranchising people is bad yo.
Hello I am Andsed welcome to my sig.


Amazing Andsed quotes:
Ok lets get back on topic so we don´t get this thread locked thanks to talking about my church windmill dancing.
Andsed is not legally responsible for any injuries that may occur if you take this seriously and somehow get a trebuchet and try to fling yourself into a plane. You fucking dumbass
NationStates going from serious debates about homosexuality to jokes about Jesus a marijuana dealer in the span of one to two posts since November 13 2002.
Sorry my mind is always in the gutter no it lives in gutter my mind is fuckin called pennywise it is in the gutter so much.
How does one outsource racism? Do you like get an Indian guy to call people and call them racial slurs?

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 54507
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 am

Greed and Death wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.


The Boomers the ones who led both the civil rights and women's liberation movements.


No they weren't. MLK was born in 1929. Too old for a boomer. Which sounds ironic, but boomers are decidedly post-WW2.

Nel van Beek, born in 1933. Same, too old.

Alright, I give you Selma Leydesdorff and Marjan Sax.

Though this is decidely second generation feminism already(abortion). Rather than the one for voting rights.
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
Blaat - all fluff, all action
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Incredible Bums
Envoy
 
Posts: 225
Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Incredible Bums » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:23 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:Sometimes, the laws of another country affect citizens of other countries.
If that is the metric, I want voting rights in the USA.


No, not as long as they don´t modernize their outdated and strange electional system; my country abandoned such a system one and a half centuries ago...

User avatar
Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 645
Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 am

Greed and Death wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Like racism, an outdated notions of modern job roles, and general boomery?
Not that I'm saying all 60+ people are like that, but if we're going to start generalising people I'd much rather have 16 yr olds voting rather than them. Don't forget that it was primarily the older generations who voted Brexit.


The Boomers the ones who led both the civil rights and women's liberation movements.

And the Science is clear 16 year olds by and large are not fully developed so no we should not entrust the future of the country to them.

The Civil Rights and Women's Liberation movements were both politically leftwing and progressive, which I don't condemn, and neither do I condemn boomers who are political progressives. I condemn boomers that constantly push for the failed dogma that is neoliberalism despite it being responsible for much of the world's financial crises and socioeconomic decay.

And 16 year olds are too insignificant within the wider picture to have any major effect on US elections when we look at the demographics directly, given they only comprise a tiny percentage of the US populace, so it isn't like we are suddenly granting them the keys to the White House. In addition, lowering the voting age to 16-17 isn't a radical "pipe dream" idea, given that countries such as Indonesia, Austria, Malta, Nicaragua and Brazil have already done such a step and their countries didn't turn into a Lord of the Flies-style hellhole.
Last edited by Czechoslovakia and Zakarpatia on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aureumterra, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Bloodshade, Duvniask, Ethel mermania, Google [Bot], Impaled Nazarene, Liriena, Nakena, Necroviribus, Neu California, Ngelmish, Novus America, Outer Sparta, Proctopeo, Rostavykhan, Salus Maior, Solanos, Stellar Colonies, The JELLEAIN Republic, The New California Republic, Uiiop, Venkara, Vetalia, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads