NATION

PASSWORD

LEAST Favorite Time / Event of History

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 am

If it is in terms of world history, oh good lord is there a smörgåsbord of shitty things that have happened in the past eternity. But fucking hell, Gren makes some really good points that now is the worst time in our history. :shock:

If it is personal, then I'd say the period from August to October 2014, when I was deep in grief after my paternal grandmother died of cancer. Fucking hell was that a kick in the balls for me, especially since she seemed to have hidden the severity of her cancer from me.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:15 am

Luziyca wrote:If it is in terms of world history, oh good lord is there a smörgåsbord of shitty things that have happened in the past eternity. But fucking hell, Gren makes some really good points that now is the worst time in our history. :shock:

If any future historians are reading this thread, either I told you so, or I was wrong as fuck.

God, I hope its the latter.

EDIT: this is actually a joke for those of us in the present, since logically, if I'm right, it would be virutally impossible for future historians (if any exist) to read this thread, since either the internet won't exist, or if it does, then it will likely have been censored by whatever fascist dystopia rules the planet.
Last edited by Grenartia on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:22 am

Grenartia wrote:The fact that we're on the precipice of multiple extinction-level catastrophes (mostly climate, but others as well, such as peak phosphorus), the bastard offspring of the dystopias of Brave New World and 1984, the rise of fake news and deep fake technology, and our seeming unwillingness to even consider a rapid enough change in the course of our society to avoid those pitfalls.

I do not believe the climate change is endangering the existence and future of our species, despite it might lead to various problems and unpleasentlessness. Humans in general are extremly resilient even under harsh conditions and will survive and manage. As for the technological changes, they are huge, but I believe the new generation will as well adapt to it the same way our ancestors adapted to the introduction of similar game changer technologies such as Nuclear Energy or the Printing Press.

Grenartia wrote:Like, yes, by a lot of metrics, this is also the best possible time to be alive, but in no other era of human history have we had so many ways to wipe ourselves off the face of the planet in the comparative blink of an eye, and neither has state control over individual affairs been so fucking easy to achieve.

The corresponding technology to destroy ourself exists since at since World War Two and even before there have been horrific calamities such as World War One, which saw in a number of nations the first time the massive intervention of the total state. Of course technology marches on, and the new digital technologies now passed into the hands of various nasty entities from superpowers such as the PRC down to tinpot regimes in South America or elsewhere is a concerning, yet inevitable development. And yet, again, Man will as in all times find ways to slip away and around the excessive control and survive even under a social credit system with near orwellian dimensions.

Grenartia wrote:IDK, is this what it felt like to come of age during the height of the Cold War? Sometimes I used to imagine having the ability to travel back in time, say to the late 50s, and just talk about the current state of affairs and how the whole "nuclear war" thing will become a non-concern within their own lifetime. And now I find myself hoping someone from the future would do that for me. But I also simultaneously dread hearing about the existential threats facing their society. Shit that isn't even on our fucking radar right now.

The World was somewhat more stable in the second half of the 20th century in a number of ways. However fear of Nuclear War was a thing, there was no internet, and a number of other technologies that make our lifes easier and handier today didn weren't around yet. At least not for the average citizen. Nonetheless, I can relate to your feeling, for the Cold War era is in retrospect one of the nicer ones, and also a defining one despite its - along with its icons and norms - slowly beginning to fade into history. I am sure in far future it might be looked back upon as Golden Age, where the technological and political state of Earth allowed such a period in a number of locations to blossom for a few decades.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 am

Atheris wrote:
Sovaal wrote:The Mongol conquests probably wouldn't be fun either.

Genghis Khan:

- His last heir reigned in Uzbekistan until 1925. 1. 9. 2. 5. That's almost a millennium of Khan descendants.
- He left entire portions of the world unpopulated to this day. Not under - completely unpopulated.
- There are 3 different ways to how he died. He either fell off his horse, was killed by a sex worker, or had a sorcerer king cast a spell on him.
- He killed his blood brother.
- He escaped slavery by swinging his stocks to hit a young boy to watch over him, hiding in reeds, and walking until he reached a sympathetic house.
- He single-handedly transformed the Steppe from the closest you can get to an apocalyptic wasteland on earth to one of the richest, if not the richest, area of the world in about 60 years.

He's my homeboy. Right next to his spiritual sucessor Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.

Also this.

The Free Joy State wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
Hitlers intent was to be good for the german people. How did that work out?

It's always worth remembering that. People never undertake villainous actions with the intention of being villainous.

They never view themselves as -- I've got to trot out Nineteen-Eighty-Four again -- "the boot stomping on the human face". Throughout history, those who have done the worst things have generally taken the view that they are operating from a position of purity, superiority, morality... "the end justifies the means". History seldom vindicates them.

Thats why I am always cautious around people who operate from a moral high-ground.

Might also have to do with the fact that I have villainous and sinister intentions, which of course I think they are, subjectively good, but I know and am aware that I am on the dark side in the story for all the do-gooders.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:02 am

Nakena wrote:I am sure in far future it might be looked back upon as Golden Age, where the technological and political state of Earth allowed such a period in a number of locations to blossom for a few decades.

You need to pay more attention to economists. The "far future" is now. At least, until the 1970s.

To the thread title... 1918. I mean, I can see where people are coming from in terms of the whole climate thing, but we haven't seen the payoff yet.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:26 am

The Holocaust, and other historical events of that magnitude.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:35 am

Grenartia wrote:
Nakena wrote:
What makes it the worst of all times?

The fact that we're on the precipice of multiple extinction-level catastrophes (mostly climate, but others as well, such as peak phosphorus), the bastard offspring of the dystopias of Brave New World and 1984, the rise of fake news and deep fake technology, and our seeming unwillingness to even consider a rapid enough change in the course of our society to avoid those pitfalls.

Like, yes, by a lot of metrics, this is also the best possible time to be alive, but in no other era of human history have we had so many ways to wipe ourselves off the face of the planet in the comparative blink of an eye, and neither has state control over individual affairs been so fucking easy to achieve.

IDK, is this what it felt like to come of age during the height of the Cold War? Sometimes I used to imagine having the ability to travel back in time, say to the late 50s, and just talk about the current state of affairs and how the whole "nuclear war" thing will become a non-concern within their own lifetime. And now I find myself hoping someone from the future would do that for me. But I also simultaneously dread hearing about the existential threats facing their society. Shit that isn't even on our fucking radar right now.

Save for the extinction level events, which frankly where always in the works ever since humanity came about, none of what you said is anywhere near new.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:40 am

It's hard to choose because I've some that I don't like. As a start, perhaps the Holocaust and mass genocides in general, then the Japanese conquest and rule of eastern and southeastern Asia in 1945, and some more.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:43 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:It's hard to choose because I've some that I don't like. As a start, perhaps the Holocaust and mass genocides in general, then the Japanese conquest and rule of eastern and southeastern Asia in 1945, and some more.

There is also the slavery of African Americans as well, to add to the list.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The British American Colonies
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The British American Colonies » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 am

In terms of interest, my least favorite period to learn/think etc. about would probably be Ancient Mesopotamia. I don’t know why, just not interesting. In terms of like genocidey stuff, Holodomir, Pol Pot, Holocaust etc. etc.
The Beatles, The Who, Yes, Pink Floyd, and RUSH.
Victoria 2, Hoi4, CK2, Stellaris

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:56 am

The British American Colonies wrote:In terms of interest, my least favorite period to learn/think etc. about would probably be Ancient Mesopotamia. I don’t know why, just not interesting. In terms of like genocidey stuff, Holodomir, Pol Pot, Holocaust etc. etc.

Oh, I didn't think about it that way. Alright, I suppose in terms of least favourite period of history in terms of personal interest to me, I'd have to say...um...I'm actually struggling to think of one. I guess...the history of Ancient Egypt...? Learning about it has never really appealed to me that much.

Wave on, wave on

First American Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby First American Empire » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:16 am

The Mongol Conquests. They're far back enough that most people have forgotten how bad they are, but the Mongols were every bit as bad as the Nazis, and have committed equally horrifying atrocities.
The American Empire is a socially progressive absolute monarchy run by the heirs of Emperor Norton. It started off at MT but has rapidly advanced to PMT through interdimensional travel. All NSstats are used, except for tax rate and population. Factbooks are currently under reconstruction.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The British American Colonies » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

First American Empire wrote:The Mongol Conquests. They're far back enough that most people have forgotten how bad they are, but the Mongols were every bit as bad as the Nazis, and have committed equally horrifying atrocities.

I’m pretty sure one of their forms of execution was trampling people under carpets, but I don’t have a source for this.

Great Buptain and Toadstool
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Buptain and Toadstool » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 am

The British American Colonies wrote:
First American Empire wrote:The Mongol Conquests. They're far back enough that most people have forgotten how bad they are, but the Mongols were every bit as bad as the Nazis, and have committed equally horrifying atrocities.

I’m pretty sure one of their forms of execution was trampling people under carpets, but I don’t have a source for this.

Medieval Asians loved to execute people in the most brutal ways.
Up until the British took over, the most common punishment for treason in India was to have your limbs broken by elephants. You would be left to suffer and be mocked for hours, until a final stomp would be delivered to the head.
November 1, 1929: With the death of the last quarantined soldier in Dover, it seems as if the Shroobs virus has been eradicated.

B U P
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The British American Colonies » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 am

Great Buptain and Toadstool wrote:
The British American Colonies wrote:I’m pretty sure one of their forms of execution was trampling people under carpets, but I don’t have a source for this.

Medieval Asians loved to execute people in the most brutal ways.
Up until the British took over, the most common punishment for treason in India was to have your limbs broken by elephants. You would be left to suffer and be mocked for hours, until a final stomp would be delivered to the head.

Then the British took over and strapped people to the muzzles of cannons. So yeah, I guess everyone sucks.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:33 am

October 1995 and every year after.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:38 am

It is hard for me to pick because there are many events I don't like. First that comes to mind is Brown v. Board of Education. The US was better before there was any bussing for the sake of diversity and so forth. The 1960s onward I could consider to have been bad for the US overall.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am

Saiwania wrote:It is hard for me to pick because there are many events I don't like. First that comes to mind is Brown v. Board of Education. The US was better before there was any bussing for the sake of diversity and so forth.

Well, it wouldn't have happened if black schools had the same resources as white schools, and we both know they didn't.

Great Buptain and Toadstool
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Buptain and Toadstool » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 am

Saiwania wrote:It is hard for me to pick because there are many events I don't like. First that comes to mind is Brown v. Board of Education. The US was better before there was any bussing for the sake of diversity and so forth. The 1960s onward I could consider to have been bad for the US overall.

Well, maybe if Blacks were treated like actual humans, BvBoE wouldn't have happened.
November 1, 1929: With the death of the last quarantined soldier in Dover, it seems as if the Shroobs virus has been eradicated.

B U P
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am

Saiwania wrote:It is hard for me to pick because there are many events I don't like. First that comes to mind is Brown v. Board of Education. The US was better before there was any bussing for the sake of diversity and so forth. The 1960s onward I could consider to have been bad for the US overall.

I'm only surprised that your answer wasn't the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 am

The post-World War II era has been a disaster for the West.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 am

Heloin wrote:I'm only surprised that your answer wasn't the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

It is parts of the 14th Amendment I really object to. I still insist that the clause about birthright citizenship is in error. The real intent of it was obviously to fully abolish slavery and grant citizenship to such people that were in bondage, not to simply let the US be a dumping ground for illegal immigrants to have children that "anchors" them to this country by default.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:58 am

Saiwania wrote:
Heloin wrote:I'm only surprised that your answer wasn't the ratification of the 13th Amendment.

It is parts of the 14th Amendment I really object to. I still insist that the clause about birthright citizenship is in error. The real intent of it was obviously to fully abolish slavery and grant citizenship to such people that were in bondage, not to simply let the US be a dumping ground for illegal immigrants to have children that "anchors" them to this country by default.

That was the intent of the law.

Low and behold, business interests pushed to have it defined in other ways because "our economic can't survive without immigrant neo-slave labor".
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

That was the intent of the law.

Low and behold, business interests pushed to have it defined in other ways because "our economic can't survive without immigrant neo-slave labor".

Define nothing, the text is explicit.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 pm

I dont know. I guess Tuesday was shit.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General