NATION

PASSWORD

Poll: Michael Jackson death jokes?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Michael Jackson death jokes?

No, it's too soon.
6%
No, it's too disrespectful.
15%
No, it's distasteful.
12%
Yes, he was asking for it.
12%
Yes, because it's fun to joke about crazy people.
22%
Yes, because Jimmy Kimmel says it's okay.
2%
I wish everyone would stop talking about Michael Jackson.
31%

Total votes : 177

Isle de Beaulieu
Secretary

Founded: Oct 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Poll: Michael Jackson death jokes?

Postby Isle de Beaulieu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:37 pm

So I heard about Michael Jackson's death, and I laughed. Does that make me a terrible person? I mean I know he revolutionized the music industry and everything, and holds the record for best-selling album of all time, but the guy went off the deep end when he changed his skin color. And hung babies over balconies. And molested little boys.

Anyways, knowing I would stir up some controversy, I put my facebook status as "he died of cardiac arrest because he couldn't keep up with all those underage boys..." and a back-and-forth war started. Some argued that it was distasteful and disrespectful, and that it was too soon to start joking about his death. Come on! I mean, even Jimmy Kimmel joked about it, and everyone laughed. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Isle de Beaulieu on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Michael Jackson death jokes?

Postby Phenia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 pm

I think you've a remarkably childish and immature view of things, and I pity you.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Poll: Michael Jackson death jokes?

Postby Yootopia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:41 pm

What's white, sticky and fills a kleenex?

Jacko's last release.
End the Modigarchy now.

Phenia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:44 pm

Any assertions, or moronic jokes for that matter, that Michael Jackson ever molested anyone are libelous.

Isle de Beaulieu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Isle de Beaulieu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Phenia wrote:Any assertions, or moronic jokes for that matter, that Michael Jackson ever molested anyone are libelous.

...because he covered it? Like every other celebrity who has cash?

Maldorians
Spokesperson

Founded: May 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maldorians » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Yootopia wrote:What's white, sticky and fills a kleenex?

Jacko's last release.

Meh, could have been funnier...
Mandalorian Merc; Your leading mercenary company
<Anagonia> ZUKARIAN USED DODGE
<Yafalonia> in b4 "whats a zukarian"
<Zuk> whats a zukarian

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Isle de Beaulieu wrote:
Phenia wrote:Any assertions, or moronic jokes for that matter, that Michael Jackson ever molested anyone are libelous.

Prove it

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I just hope they don't cremate him. Plastics can release toxic smoke. *nod*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Technically, he was never found guilty. But (admittedly without knowing all the details of the cases) I'd say his innocence is about as likely as OJ Simpson's.

That said, I do find jokes about anyone's death pathetic and distasteful, at least so shortly after. Death is part of life, and unpleasant nessessity, but not something I normally joke about or ever take pleasure in.

However, I would also support anyone's right to make such jokes, of course. I simply would not myself.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I just hope they don't cremate him. Plastics can release toxic smoke. *nod*

Plastic surgery jokes are funny. Child molestation jokes...not as funny.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

TheCapitalWasteland
Envoy

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TheCapitalWasteland » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 pm

i wish everyone would stop talking about michael jackson. No one liked him when he was alive (or atleast not very many people cared for his stuff), but now everyone is in love with him and buying everything that has his name on it when he is dead. I didn't know death = mainstream.

Edit: I should rephrase that seeing how he was liked a lot, when he was younger anyway. So now its the 2000s and not a whole lots of people like him, probably for the whole controversy and him turning into a plastic monster. But it just seems like his popularity boosted by 300% because he's dead.
Last edited by TheCapitalWasteland on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:52 pm

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:I didn't know death = mainstream.

Not a Jeff Buckley or Nirvana fan then, I take it?
End the Modigarchy now.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I just hope they don't cremate him. Plastics can release toxic smoke. *nod*

Plastic surgery jokes are funny. Child molestation jokes...not as funny.

Anything can be funny if the joke is crafted correctly.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:i wish everyone would stop talking about michael jackson. No one liked him when he was alive (or atleast not very many people cared for his stuff), but now everyone is in love with him and buying everything that has his name on it when he is dead. I didn't know death = mainstream.

Yeah, it's not like sold 750 million records in his career.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Phenia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Isle de Beaulieu wrote:

Because people like you assume, despite the fact that the law does not agree with you, that because he's a celebrity oh he MUST be guilty. Ten thousand articles in Newsweek about "Wacko Jacko" molesting children just before kidnapping them away on his interstellar spaceship can't ALL be wrong, can they? You are just acting on your own biases and the opportunity to, like a vulture, tear into dead meat without consequence. Well, there's a consequence - it makes you look like a jackass.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:55 pm

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:i wish everyone would stop talking about michael jackson. No one liked him when he was alive (or atleast not very many people cared for his stuff), but now everyone is in love with him and buying everything that has his name on it when he is dead. I didn't know death = mainstream.

Yeah. He's only sold more records than anyone ever. Of course people hated him. ;)

Hunter S. Thompson

Isle de Beaulieu
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Isle de Beaulieu » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Phenia wrote:Because people like you assume, despite the fact that the law does not agree with you, that because he's a celebrity oh he MUST be guilty. Ten thousand articles in Newsweek about "Wacko Jacko" molesting children just before kidnapping them away on his interstellar spaceship can't ALL be wrong, can they? You are just acting on your own biases and the opportunity to, like a vulture, tear into dead meat without consequence. Well, there's a consequence - it makes you look like a jackass.

If you haven't done so already, please reread the following comment that was posted by The Romulan Republic:

The Romulan Republic wrote:Technically, he was never found guilty. But (admittedly without knowing all the details of the cases) I'd say his innocence is about as likely as OJ Simpson's.
Last edited by Isle de Beaulieu on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCapitalWasteland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby TheCapitalWasteland » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Yeah. He's only sold more records than anyone ever. Of course people hated him. ;)

I should rephrase that. Everyone liked him as a kid, but he became much more unpopular when he was older... you know, when he looked like a plastic doll.

Phenia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Isle de Beaulieu wrote:
Phenia wrote:Because people like you assume, despite the fact that the law does not agree with you, that because he's a celebrity oh he MUST be guilty. Ten thousand articles in Newsweek about "Wacko Jacko" molesting children just before kidnapping them away on his interstellar spaceship can't ALL be wrong, can they? You are just acting on your own biases and the opportunity to, like a vulture, tear into dead meat without consequence. Well, there's a consequence - it makes you look like a jackass.

If you haven't done so already, please reread the following comment that was posted by The Romulan Republic:

I did. So what? That doesn't change a damn thing I said. He doesn't believe Jackson was innocent. Big deal. There are lots of people who assumed he was guilty. They are all equally wrong to do so.

And I'm not infringing on anyone's "rights" here. Christ, that already?

TheCapitalWasteland
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby TheCapitalWasteland » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Yootopia wrote:

Don't know who Jeff Buckley is, and Nirvana is alright. I like maybe three songs.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 pm

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:Don't know who Jeff Buckley is

:o

One of the better musicians of the 1990s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErDMBWLOr_4
End the Modigarchy now.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:00 pm

TheCapitalWasteland wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

I should rephrase that. Everyone liked him as a kid, but he became much more unpopular when he was older... you know, when he looked like a plastic doll.

A scary plastic doll. A scary plastic doll left in the sun too long.

But what does that have to do with anything? I think the monstrous demand for tickets in the concert series he was planning in London is proof that some people still love a showman. Even if it's a freakshowman. :p

Hunter S. Thompson

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Yootopia wrote:

Kurt Cobain jokes, anyone? :meh:
Last edited by L3 Communications on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:02 pm

L3 Communications wrote:Kurt Cobain jokes, anyone? :meh:

I dunno, kiddie fiddling is easier fodder for jokes than drug abuse :p
End the Modigarchy now.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Phenia wrote:
I did. So what? That doesn't change a damn thing I said. He doesn't believe Jackson was innocent. Big deal. There are lots of people who assumed he was guilty. They are all equally wrong to do so.

And I'm not infringing on anyone's "rights" here. Christ, that already?

Never said you were. I don't know if that last bit was referring to me, but if so, I would ask that, if you have a problem with "libelous" comments about Michael Jackson, you also refrain from posting libelous comments about me.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General