NATION

PASSWORD

Sex Offenders Suing Police Department over Signs.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Sex Offenders Suing Police Department over Signs.

Postby Andsed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Source:
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sex-offenders-suing-butts-county-sheriff-over-no-trick-or-treat-signs

So basically in Butts County(yes that is it's real name) Georgia a group of sex offenders have filed a lawsuit against the police department for putting signs in their yards informing those trick or treating of their status so they don't go there. The sex offenders behind the lawsuit(who, from what I found all were found guilty of criminal offenses involving minors including shit like statutory rape) claimed that this was an invasion of privacy and a violation of free speech and asked for the signs to be removed.

The sheriff of Butts County police Gary Long claimed that he was simply doing it to protect kids in the neighborhood.

Now personally I don't have much sympathy for the sex offenders who filed this shit. As mentioned they were found guilty of sexual offenses involving minor including stuff like statutory rape and I feel like it is a good idea to inform people of their status so as to keep kids from potentially being put in a situation with them. But I also see why action like this especially considering that (as far as I am aware but I am not a lawyer so feel free to correct me if I am wrong) sex offenders can also include those who simply pissed in a public park, could be problematic.

But that are my thought so I pose the question to my fellow denizens of NSG, do you feel like the police were justified in doing this and was it a good idea or was the lawsuit justified?
Last edited by Andsed on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Justified? Certainly.

But is it legal? Is the sheriff empowered by law to go onto the person's private property with no probable cause of any crime and post signage on the person's door?

Anyone have the law handy?
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Galloism wrote:Justified? Certainly.

But is it legal? Is the sheriff empowered by law to go onto the person's private property with no probable cause of any crime and post signage on the person's door?

Yeah something smells off about the police being able to put objects on a person's land without permission in this case.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:26 pm

I would think its trespass, they were not invited onto the property and they are not leaving a notice pursuant to a court order.

I am not sure that noting that these folks are sex offenders and are under court order not to give candy on the property on the property is considered as under that court order.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

I would think its trespass, they were not invited onto the property and they are not leaving a notice pursuant to a court order.

I am not sure that noting that these folks are sex offenders and are under court order not to give candy on the property on the property is considered as under that court order.

Sheriff may be hanging his hat on this section:

(5) Inform the public of the presence of sexual offenders in each community;

https://gbi.georgia.gov/42-1-12-state-s ... r-registry

But that would seem to be covered under having it on the Sheriff's website, and I don't think it's carte blanche to do anything you want that's sort of related to informing the public.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

But that would seem to be covered under having it on the Sheriff's website, and I don't think it's carte blanche to do anything you want that's sort of related to informing the public.

Sheriffs can go on people's property to execute duties, which include notifying people of hazards. Question I guess is rather this constitutes enough of an imminent hazard to justify such actions.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Eh, I can get behind why the sheriff put them up, but frankly he shouldn’t have done that, as it mentions in the article (paraphrasing form the suing party’s attorney) the state of Georgia evidently doesn’t require such signs to be posted, and by doing so I’d say the sheriff has over stepped his bounds.
Last edited by Sovaal on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

If you read up a little bit. 3e has a clause about maintaining a web site. 5 just says inform. If 5 meant only web site I think it would say so. there are many other ways of putting out public notices than just a website.

Now that is about as far as my having played a lawyer on TV will take me as an authority.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Andsed wrote:Source:
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sex-offenders-suing-butts-county-sheriff-over-no-trick-or-treat-signs

So basically in Butts Country(yes that is it's real name) Georgia a group of sex offenders have filed a lawsuit against the police department for putting signs in their yards informing those trick or treating of their status so they don't go there. The sex offenders behind the lawsuit(who, from what I found all were found guilty of criminal offenses involving minors including shit like statutory rape) claimed that this was an invasion of privacy and a violation of free speech and asked for the signs to be removed.

The sheriff of Butts Country police Gary Long claimed that he was simply doing it to protect kids in the neighborhood.

Now personally I don't have much sympathy for the sex offenders who filed this shit. As mentioned they were found guilty of sexual offenses involving minor including stuff like statutory rape and I feel like it is a good idea to inform people of their status so as to keep kids from potentially being put in a situation with them. But I also see why action like this especially considering that (as far as I am aware but I am not a lawyer so feel free to correct me if I am wrong) sex offenders can also include those who simply pissed in a public park, could be problematic.

But that are my thought so I pose the question to my fellow denizens of NSG, do you feel like the police were justified in doing this and was it a good idea or was the lawsuit justified?

Butts County, not "Butts Country." And don't try to blame AutoCorrect.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

So basically in Butts Country(yes that is it's real name) Georgia a group of sex offenders have filed a lawsuit against the police department for putting signs in their yards informing those trick or treating of their status so they don't go there. The sex offenders behind the lawsuit(who, from what I found all were found guilty of criminal offenses involving minors including shit like statutory rape) claimed that this was an invasion of privacy and a violation of free speech and asked for the signs to be removed.

The sheriff of Butts Country police Gary Long claimed that he was simply doing it to protect kids in the neighborhood.

I mean it’s an unfortunate name regardless of how you put it.
Last edited by Sovaal on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Butts County, not "Butts Country." And don't try to blame AutoCorrect.

Now I think Dr. Seymour Butts will be offended by your statement.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Yeah I got country confused with county. It has been a long day. :p
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I mean it’s an unfortunate name regardless of how you put it.

Well maybe he should have thought about that before he got into the business of giving prostate exams.

Winston Churchill, 1947.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:42 pm

I understand the desire to protect and all but... well, I don’t know. This feels iffy.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I actually looked it up...the kind of statutory rape you're thinking of isn't the kind that requires registration as a sex offender., nor are minor offenses like public indecency. To be required to register as a sex offender in Georgia you have to commit a "dangerous sexual offense:, which in the case of Georgia law includes statutory rape in the following circumstance:

(a) A person commits the offense of statutory rape when he or she engages in sexual intercourse with any person under the age of 16 years and not his or her spouse, provided that no conviction shall be had for this offense on the unsupported testimony of the victim.

"(vii) Statutory rape in violation of Code Section 16-6-3, if the individual convicted of the offense is 21 years of age or older;"

These predators were undoubtedly quite a bit older than 21 and I suspect the victims were quite a bit younger than 15. The other dangerous sexual offenses are really serious stuff so if they're forced to register what they did was really, really bad; this sheriff is wise to inform the community of the danger they pose to children. If they don't like it, tough.

Otherwise:

"(c) If the victim is at least 14 but less than 16 years of age and the person convicted of statutory rape is 18 years of age or younger and is no more than four years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

"(C) For purposes of this paragraph, a conviction for a misdemeanor shall not be considered a dangerous sexual offense, and conduct which is adjudicated in juvenile court shall not be considered a dangerous sexual offense."

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-42/chapter-1/article-2/section-42-1-12/
Last edited by Vetalia on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Its name for Captain Sam Butts who during the Creek war burned a few Creek villages containing mostly women and children.

The Creeks retaliated by burning him alive after capture.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Butts County, not "Butts Country." And don't try to blame AutoCorrect.

Not the worst name we have here. There’s a City not far from me named Cumming
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Its name for Captain Sam Butts who during the Creek war burned a few Creek villages containing mostly women and children.

The Creeks retaliated by burning him alive after capture.

A true American hero.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Not the worst name we have here. There’s a City not far from me named Cumming

Cumming in Butts County?
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Not the worst name we have here. There’s a City not far from me named Cumming

Cumming in Butts County?

Funny but no. Cumming is in Forsyth County, not to be confused with Forsyth Ga the city or Forsyth county NC.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:44 pm

Vetalia wrote:I actually looked it up...the kind of statutory rape you're thinking of isn't the kind that requires registration as a sex offender., nor are minor offenses like public indecency. To be required to register as a sex offender in Georgia you have to commit a "dangerous sexual offense:, which in the case of Georgia law includes statutory rape in the following circumstance:

(a) A person commits the offense of statutory rape when he or she engages in sexual intercourse with any person under the age of 16 years and not his or her spouse, provided that no conviction shall be had for this offense on the unsupported testimony of the victim.

"(vii) Statutory rape in violation of Code Section 16-6-3, if the individual convicted of the offense is 21 years of age or older;"

These predators were undoubtedly quite a bit older than 21 and I suspect the victims were quite a bit younger than 15. The other dangerous sexual offenses are really serious stuff so if they're forced to register what they did was really, really bad; this sheriff is wise to inform the community of the danger they pose to children. If they don't like it, tough.

Otherwise:

"(c) If the victim is at least 14 but less than 16 years of age and the person convicted of statutory rape is 18 years of age or younger and is no more than four years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

"(C) For purposes of this paragraph, a conviction for a misdemeanor shall not be considered a dangerous sexual offense, and conduct which is adjudicated in juvenile court shall not be considered a dangerous sexual offense."

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2016/title-42/chapter-1/article-2/section-42-1-12/

Thanks for this info.

Still not sure if there is legal ground for posting signage on private property without eminent domain.

Fun Fact: Halloween is actually the safest day of the year for children. Turns out when parents are obliged to take a walk with their kids the resulting drop in drunk drivers saves lives. Despite this the media usually takes to the holiday by warning us about poisoned candy with razor blades in it.... something that has never killed or injured a trick or treater in real life.
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:
Vetalia wrote:I actually looked it up...the kind of statutory rape you're thinking of isn't the kind that requires registration as a sex offender., nor are minor offenses like public indecency. To be required to register as a sex offender in Georgia you have to commit a "dangerous sexual offense:, which in the case of Georgia law includes statutory rape in the following circumstance:

Otherwise:

Thanks for this info.

Still not sure if there is legal ground for posting signage on private property without eminent domain.

Fun Fact: Halloween is actually the safest day of the year for children. Turns out when parents are obliged to take a walk with their kids the resulting drop in drunk drivers saves lives. Despite this the media usually takes to the holiday by warning us about poisoned candy with razor blades in it.... something that has never killed or injured a trick or treater in real life.

My favorite one is the drugged candy. What idiot is going to waste weed on kids?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Thanks for this info.

My favorite one is the drugged candy. What idiot is going to waste weed on kids?

I, personally, appreciate this appeal to pure pragmatism.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:16 pm

Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:Thanks for this info.

That's actually a really interesting question; in Ohio, we have a special license plate that repeat OVI offenders are required to have on their cars (the infamous "party plates") that are completely unmistakable compared to other license plates and in fact are currently the only state in the country with these unique plates. Considering these plates have never been successfully challenged judicially and represent a far more worse posting of signage on public private property than these signs I think it would be hard to find a precedent to ban a similar measure for crimes that are far more serious than, say, two OVIs in six years.

I guess you could argue that if you don't have a car this requirement is not as severe as posting a notice on your home, but realistically unless you live within walking distance of everything you need mandating a DUI plate is a similar intrusion of privacy. That being said, the party plates do jack shit to prevent drunk driving given the sheer numbers of repeat offenders on the Ohio registry...the very fact that they're nicknamed "party plates" shows how seriously people view them. There was a local bar that got into some hot water for putting them up on the wall after the patrons no longer had to use them, in fact.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:My favorite one is the drugged candy. What idiot is going to waste weed on kids?

Right, everyone knows you use PCP in the candy. Let those little bastards see the elephant.
Last edited by Vetalia on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General