NATION

PASSWORD

When did you change your mind? (and why?)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hamidiye
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamidiye » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 am

I was in favour of eqzual rights for gay people some time ago. Then the trans-bullshit appeared, and the "all whites are racist" bullshit...so much bullshit. SO MUCH! BULLSHIT! These days I'm firmly against modern liberalism in general.
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos
-ПТН--ХЛО-
☪ 1881 - 193∞!
Pro: Social Authoritarianism, Kemalism, Militarism. Contra: liberalism, capitalism, communism, progressivism, religion

[ kebab intensifies ]
factbook link

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 am

Hamidiye wrote:I was in favour of eqzual rights for gay people some time ago. Then the trans-bullshit appeared, and the "all whites are racist" bullshit...so much bullshit. SO MUCH! BULLSHIT! These days I'm firmly against modern liberalism in general.

Tbh I'm sort of similar. I was pretty chill with gay marriage but once they started promoting child sexuality, drag queens, and trans shit, it was honestly revolting and sickening.

And with race, I was on board with the program until I saw how liberals blatantly lied in cases like Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown and used them to stoke up racial resentment. And then white privilege came on the scene and it was obvious how hateful these people are.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Hamidiye wrote:I was in favour of eqzual rights for gay people some time ago. Then the trans-bullshit appeared, and the "all whites are racist" bullshit...so much bullshit. SO MUCH! BULLSHIT! These days I'm firmly against modern liberalism in general.

Tbh I'm sort of similar. I was pretty chill with gay marriage but once they started promoting child sexuality, drag queens, and trans shit, it was honestly revolting and sickening.

And with race, I was on board with the program until I saw how liberals blatantly lied in cases like Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown and used them to stoke up racial resentment. And then white privilege came on the scene and it was obvious how hateful these people are.

It’s not like we social cons didn’t tell you exactly what was going to happen.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

That too...when gay marriage was first a thing, liberals derided conservative cries that it would lead to worse shit down the road as a slippery slope. And yet here we are.

Of course, elected social conservatives in the US have been absolutely worthless. The National Review thinks drag queen story hour is an expression of American liberty.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Social cons have been going at it since before the abolition of slavery.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:22 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Diopolis wrote:It’s not like we social cons didn’t tell you exactly what was going to happen.

That too...when gay marriage was first a thing, liberals derided conservative cries that it would lead to worse shit down the road as a slippery slope. And yet here we are.

Of course, elected social conservatives in the US have been absolutely worthless. The National Review thinks drag queen story hour is an expression of American liberty.

Yeah, it’s not like our politicians would’ve done anything to stop it.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:25 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Diopolis wrote:It’s not like we social cons didn’t tell you exactly what was going to happen.

Social cons have been going at it since before the abolition of slavery.

When the Republicans were the radicals.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 pm

The United Provinces of North America wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:There's a lot in this sentence and I don't have the energy to dissect it right now, but suffice to say that you're very incorrect in apparently many aspects of your worldview and I would recommend reevaluating it.

Keep attacking me for my views (opinions) about the Far Left, then I'll report you to a site admin. Accept opinions, instead of assuming I am a racist. Because I don't share your same views! Plus as a moderator you should be tolerant of other views, oh and did you see my link that I linked here? That's racist as hell. Assuming all African Americans look the same is racist, pretty evident that if Joe Biden isn't nominated, then Centrists will vote for Trump. Grow up if you can't accept my opinions, or keep attacking me.

What? I'm not a moderator. Mods have fancy colored names.
Bear Stearns wrote:

I'll have what you're having.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

I'll have what you're having.

Normal people are revolted by these things.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I'll have what you're having.

Normal people are revolted by these things.

No they're not.

And first provide proof that you are normal ;)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 pm

I started off very to the left in my early teens (as in, anti-capitalist left) until stabilizing for a time at the centre-left. Now, in the past 12-18 months I've drifted even further to the center and towards authoritarianism. Overall though, my political opinions right now are chaotic and even contradict each other.

I used to hate capitalism for being based on blatant manipulation of consumers, and became attracted to the USSR as a massive social experiment. I quickly learnt that the experiment failed miserably, and even though it took me a few more years to fully understand the reasons behind its collapse and Communism's failure (and even Communism's meaning), I began to see capitalism as a "necessary evil". I stabilized as your typical centre-left stereotypical liberal. I believed in strongly regulated capitalism, in feminism and LGBT rights, in democracy, in equality for all, and staunchly opposed pretty much every single concept behind social conservatism. These are the views that Vivolkha, as NS nation, represents, even though they no longer represent me, the player behind it.

I was also a Catalan independence supporter, and this is important not because my sig has a disclaimer saying that this is no longer true, but because one of the major forces behind my political views' change are the events surrounding the Catalan crisis.

These are the ideas I joined NationStates with, and the main reason why I disown many of my old posts.

Starting in late 2017, several events made me rethink my political views:
  • Perhaps the most important one was the illegal 2017 Catalan independence referendum. Or, more specifically, its aftermath. The whole situation was managed horribly by the pro-independence side and they slided down the path of hysteria and populism. I used to support Catalan independence because, let's be honest, I had (and still have) 0 confidence in Spain's future. This failed independence bid made me lose all my confidence in Catalan separatism, in my idealist political views, and in society as a whole (society voted these kind of people to office on both sides...). In turn, I've become sharply cynical (I already was fairly cynical because of personal reasons, to be honest) and lead me to mistrust all opinions in general. No longer I do believe in a single concept blindly, be it feminism, capitalism or democracy. And, in general, this results in a more authoritarian ("people can't decide for themselves in certain matters") and conservative (towards the centre) mentality.
  • NationStates itself, together with some real world events, has also driven this change. Upon entering NationStates I became exposed to a lot of new political ideas, many of which are completely opposed to my own, including those conservative that I tried to insulate myself from in the past. One of the game's basic stat mechanics is that your Economy tanks if Economic Freedom is reduced. These new points of view, together with the events in Venezuela and influence from my libertarian uncle, have led me to take a much more moderate stance on capitalism and a more libertarian economic policy, but still not laissez faire.

And here's me now, shocking my fellows at university by branding student political activity there as "extremist" and my family with my political apathy.

A few things have not changed though, such as my opposition to drug decriminalization and support for authoritarian asnwers, and my staunch opposition to religion.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Back in 1992, I used to think that governments would listen to their citizens voting against the Maastricht Treaty... and then I became a Eurosceptic
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Hamidiye
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamidiye » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Well we thought they could suck dick and be rational the rest of the time... it appears we were wrong.
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos
-ПТН--ХЛО-
☪ 1881 - 193∞!
Pro: Social Authoritarianism, Kemalism, Militarism. Contra: liberalism, capitalism, communism, progressivism, religion

[ kebab intensifies ]
factbook link

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Thing is that conservatives have been successfully scared away into speaking and here we are when conservatives feel like they have to apologize for things and act wussed out.

Now who do you think is the more "evil" side here?

Mettaton-EX
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mettaton-EX » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:46 pm

i used to be a centrist - seeing the vicious cultishness of the tea party movement, the opponents of #blacklivesmatter, homophobes, and transphobes pushed me to the left and practically every world event since about 2015 has cemented that further
THIS ROBOT IS TRANS | AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT | هٰذه الآلة تقتل الفاشيين
(prefer it/its but any pronouns are acceptable)

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Thing is that conservatives have been successfully scared away into speaking and here we are when conservatives feel like they have to apologize for things and act wussed out.

There isn't an answer to that question because the vast majority of people, including most Nazis and Stalinists, are not evil. Rapists are evil. Murderers are evil. People who hold stupid opinions are not.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:14 pm

I defended Bethesda for a long time.

But today they turned Fallout 76 into a subscription service, with explicitly pay-to-win content. After promising never to do either of those things. And the game is still broken as fuck.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Arthenius
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthenius » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Arthenius wrote:

There isn't an answer to that question because the vast majority of people, including most Nazis and Stalinists, are not evil. Rapists are evil. Murderers are evil. People who hold stupid opinions are not.

What the Nazis and Stalinists did was most certainly evil.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:20 pm

I was a devoted Democrat in early adulthood. Was nice president of my college's Young Democrats, actively canvassed for politicians ranging from local to national. Eventually I started drifting away from the party, mostly due to first hand exposure to the very politicians I had campaigned for.

It seems such things tend to snowball, the more you agree with people, the more you associate with them, and the more you associate the more you agree.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:I defended Bethesda for a long time.

But today they turned Fallout 76 into a subscription service, with explicitly pay-to-win content. After promising never to do either of those things. And the game is still broken as fuck.

Oh for fuck's sake.

I actually ditched Fallout 76 a few months back; just stopped playing it entirely. This latest announcement makes it even less likely that I will ever return to it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Wait, really? This is the first time I've heard anything about 76 since Internet Historian made a video on the topic.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Xuloqoia wrote:

Wait, really? This is the first time I've heard anything about 76 since Internet Historian made a video on the topic.

I don't want to threadjack, but yeah. It's pretty terrible. I suppose, in their defense, it's an "optional" subscription service. But "optional" only in the sense that it gives you the "option" to enjoy the promised content.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Arthenius wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:There isn't an answer to that question because the vast majority of people, including most Nazis and Stalinists, are not evil. Rapists are evil. Murderers are evil. People who hold stupid opinions are not.

What the Nazis and Stalinists did was most certainly evil.

I mean modern ones, hence my use of the present tense. Suppose I should've made that more obvious.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:36 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Gay marriage =/= trans issues. There’s a lot of people who are pro-LGB but not T. As I’ve heard before from some people in the LGB community, “Pro-LGB and fuck the T”.

So really gay marriage has nothing to do with any of this.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:39 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Gay marriage =/= trans issues. There’s a lot of people who are pro-LGB but not T. As I’ve heard before from some people in the LGB community, “Pro-LGB and fuck the T”.

So really gay marriage has nothing to do with any of this.

It's almost assumed that we are some kind of hive mind or something.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General