NATION

PASSWORD

Christmas Thread -- Just in Time for Halloween

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

On a Scale of One to Christmas, how much do you Like October?

Christmas
9%
October
31%
Myrrh
No votes
Kranks
No votes
Kevin!
6%
Come out to the Coast...
No votes
Pumpkin King
31%
Bah! Humbug!
13%
Happy Holidays
3%
Boxing Day Test
6%

Total votes : 32

Eislande
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Eislande » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Why is it that discussions for Christmas get earlier and earlier every year?

It's quite odd and quite frankly too early.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 pm

Page wrote:Anyone here in Germany who likes going to the Christmas market and drinking Glühwein?

I miss those things. Although my parents will make Glühwein now.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:06 pm

this entire thread makes me laugh in filipino

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Forsher wrote:January? Hardcore.

Great, another god damned barbarian that uses the DMY convention rather than the more logical MDY convention.

I'm very alarmed that Liberia of all places uses this ludicrous dating convention even though the still use our solid customary units for measurements.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 pm

New haven america wrote:Any day outside of December is too early for Christmas.

All Holidays are to be replaced by Xmas.

Hanuka is now 12 days of Xmas. Eid al-Fitr is now Xmas in June. Navratri is now Xmas with nine nights of dancing. Buddha's birthday is now Jesus's other birthday.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Forsher wrote:January? Hardcore.

Great, another god damned barbarian that uses the DMY convention rather than the more logical MDY convention.

I'm very alarmed that Liberia of all places uses this ludicrous dating convention even though the still use our solid customary units for measurements.

MDY is idiotic.

Days happen within months, which happen within years. Not even Americans do bloody Minutes/Seconds/Hours.

File names are made for computers and, hence, don't sort nicely unless you reverse the entire order... but that preserves the inherent logic of the system. Computers can also throw hissy fits about 19 versus 2019 so obsessing about what works best for them is... silly.

And that's ignoring the ease of having a folder for each month in a bigger folder of a year... or with a year/month name such as 2019-10.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
New haven america wrote:Any day outside of December is too early for Christmas.

All Holidays are to be replaced by Xmas.

Hanuka is now 12 days of Xmas. Eid al-Fitr is now Xmas in June. Navratri is now Xmas with nine nights of dancing. Buddha's birthday is now Jesus's other birthday.

Technically, since Jesus is eternal, every day should be his birthday.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Forsher wrote:MDY is idiotic.

Days happen within months, which happen within years. Not even Americans do bloody Minutes/Seconds/Hours.

File names are made for computers and, hence, don't sort nicely unless you reverse the entire order... but that preserves the inherent logic of the system. Computers can also throw hissy fits about 19 versus 2019 so obsessing about what works best for them is... silly.

And that's ignoring the ease of having a folder for each month in a bigger folder of a year... or with a year/month name such as 2019-10.

But saying it's the 23rd of October, 2019 is....dear God, I just had an epiphany. DMY is the same way we speak about dates in common conversation.

I need some time for private meditation as well as ruminating on why Liberia doesn't use the American dating convention.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:All Holidays are to be replaced by Xmas.

Technically, since Jesus is eternal, every day should be his birthday.

You just wish it could be Christmas everyday. :p
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:54 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Technically, since Jesus is eternal, every day should be his birthday.

There's nothing wrong with that. New books everyday are nice. :p

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:58 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Technically, since Jesus is eternal, every day should be his birthday.

Where are my gifts ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 pm

There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania

Literally quoted in the OP. But great minds think alike.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Forsher wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania

Literally quoted in the OP. But great minds think alike.

Doh! I knew I saw it somewhere. :D
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm

The March of the Defenders of Labor Day is a noted patriotic song on the American front.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:18 pm

I like Thanksgiving because it was the first holiday celebrated by Anglo-Saxon Americans and it is homegrown to North America.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:15 am

Page wrote:Anyone here in Germany who likes going to the Christmas market and drinking Glühwein?

I will probably get drunk a few nights in Berlin, yes. Why?
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:17 am

Forsher wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

MDY is idiotic.

YMD is superior. After all, when writing a regular number like a million we write 1 000 000. Not 000 000 1. So, big first. Same goes for time units.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:YMD is superior. After all, when writing a regular number like a million we write 1 000 000. Not 000 000 1. So, big first. Same goes for time units.

There might be a thread in this, you know.

Bear Stearns wrote:I like Thanksgiving because it was the first holiday celebrated by Anglo-Saxon Americans and it is homegrown to North America.

And no-where else!

You can keep your Black Friday too! Stupid bloody name for a sale.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:46 am

Forsher wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:YMD is superior. After all, when writing a regular number like a million we write 1 000 000. Not 000 000 1. So, big first. Same goes for time units.

There might be a thread in this, you know.

Not really, since I am not looking for discussion or input. I know that I'm right on it, so for me it would just be a blog :p

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Smh.
That is not the purpose of Weinachtsmarkte!
You buy the cheap train ticket (schones wochenende)
And visit as much Weinachtsmarkte as you can, buy and drink the Gluhwein and keep the Mug!

Also known as : Tassejaeger
Last edited by Thepeopl on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:40 am

Thepeopl wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Smh.
That is not the purpose of Weinachtsmarkte!
You buy the cheap train ticket (schones wochenende)
And visit as much Weinachtsmarkte as you can, buy and drink the Gluhwein and keep the Mug!

Also known as : Tassejaeger

Why should I visit outside of Berlin, I have plenty of Christmas markets right here in the city? No need for the cheap train ticket :p

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 am

Forsher wrote:-snip-

I know, I know... should probably hold a newspaper up to prove it's a recent photo. Don't ask why we have snow iconography in a city it never snows for a holiday that takes place in summer appearing in a photograph taken in spring.

-snip-

But this is my point... is there a point where Christmas appears on the horizons too absurdly early? And, if so, when is that? Attendant questions are... which is better, summer or winter Christmas? and do you actually even like Christmas? (and/or analogous cultural holiday)

-snip-

In the only part of the civilized world that truly matters (the Northeastern United States in general, and/or the Mid-Atlantic states in particular), Christmas-time falls in the late Autumn/early Winter (depending on one's perspective) As such, that most peculiar notion of "Summer Christmas" is simply absurd, to be quite honest. Christmas is a Winter holiday, and if it isn't Winter in your part of the world then you aren't experiencing a right and proper Christmas. All other views are heretical, and worthy of a stint in the pillory.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:48 am

Xuloqoia wrote:
Forsher wrote:-snip-

I know, I know... should probably hold a newspaper up to prove it's a recent photo. Don't ask why we have snow iconography in a city it never snows for a holiday that takes place in summer appearing in a photograph taken in spring.

-snip-

But this is my point... is there a point where Christmas appears on the horizons too absurdly early? And, if so, when is that? Attendant questions are... which is better, summer or winter Christmas? and do you actually even like Christmas? (and/or analogous cultural holiday)

-snip-

In the only part of the civilized world that truly matters (the Northeastern United States in general, and/or the Mid-Atlantic states in particular), Christmas-time falls in the late Autumn/early Winter (depending on one's perspective) As such, that most peculiar notion of "Summer Christmas" is simply absurd, to be quite honest. Christmas is a Winter holiday, and if it isn't Winter in your part of the world then you aren't experiencing a right and proper Christmas. All other views are heretical, and worthy of a stint in the pillory.

When did the USA become civilized? :p
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:54 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Xuloqoia wrote:

When did the USA become civilized? :p

Is the Netherlands the international hegemon? You lot used to be, but you're not anymore; you must accept that your country has long since lost lost the Mandate of Heaven. :p
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General