NATION

PASSWORD

Christmas Thread -- Just in Time for Halloween

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

On a Scale of One to Christmas, how much do you Like October?

Christmas
9%
October
31%
Myrrh
No votes
Kranks
No votes
Kevin!
6%
Come out to the Coast...
No votes
Pumpkin King
31%
Bah! Humbug!
13%
Happy Holidays
3%
Boxing Day Test
6%

Total votes : 32

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Christmas Thread -- Just in Time for Halloween

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 am

It's October, therefore it is the Christmas season. I know, because I have been to a mall in October. And if it is Christmas season, there must be a Christmas thread. QED. Carthago delenda est. Christmas is theft, taxation is charity, impeach Obama.

Photographic evidence.

I know, I know... should probably hold a newspaper up to prove it's a recent photo. Don't ask why we have snow iconography in a city it never snows for a holiday that takes place in summer appearing in a photograph taken in spring.

I am reminded, of course, of NSG's most famous ever post:

Trotskylvania wrote:There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border.

Clearly over the last seven years, Christmas has managed to push the front back even further... or maybe NZ's just more vulnerable since we have none of these other holidays.

But this is my point... is there a point where Christmas appears on the horizons too absurdly early? And, if so, when is that? Attendant questions are... which is better, summer or winter Christmas? and do you actually even like Christmas? (and/or analogous cultural holiday)

My responses:

• Look, it's just plain silly to be thinking about Christmas in October. Not because it's so far away, since it's not that far away really, but because there's just no decent Christmas movies on television in October. I mean, you can break out some books like Hogfather but, really, what's the point? Seriously, though, Christmas is all about the cultural representations and the food.
  • By reference to the previous answer... I guess eventually there'll be so many canonical Christmas things to think about, you'd have to start watching on Boxing Day to feel caught up. Seriously, though, when you're too divorced from the timing of the media, you're too far away.
  • I'm gonna go with summer. NZ basically shuts down for a whole month after Christmas. It's kind of stupid, but it's better than having a few days off and then going back to work. Also, what is even the point of snow based iconography when there's actual snow? Live in the moment. Experience the real life. Bloody millennials...
  • I do, actually. Home Alone got me excited, Arthur broke me down, that thing about the polar bears and the ice-cream built me back up and Die Hard converted me.

So, what say ye, NSG?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:30 am

It's too early for this!

Charlie Brown, trying to sell Christmas wreaths door to door:

Person who's not having it: "It's not even Thanksgiving yet! All the needles will fall off!"

Charlie Brown: "Don't hang it near the turkey"
rəswɛsən

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 am

Recuecn wrote:It's too early for this!

That's entirely the point of the thread... why is it too early? Capitalism is 24/7/365.25, why should its greatest holiday be condemned to a single month!? Even two months seems an unfair allotment...

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:34 am

Any day outside of December is too early for Christmas.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 am

It’s never too early to be thinking about your Christmas meal

Even in October

Christmas is a magical time
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaaaaa
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aaaaaa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 am

CLOTHES CLOTHES FOOD SALES PRODUCTS TOYS CLOTHES DASHER BLITZEN FOOD FOOD COMMERCIALS FIREWORKS EAT EAT CAROLS SALES HOLIDAY HOLIDAY PRODUCTS BUY COMMERCIALS PRODUCTS EAT TOYS BUY BUY BUY INFLATABLE RUDOLPH BUY COMMERCIALS FIREWORKS CLOTHES EAT BUY BUY political arguments at thanksgiving dinner CLOTHES COMMERCIALS BUY SANTA SANTA BUY BUY COMMERCIALS PRODUCTS BUT BUY VB BUY BUY BVUT BUY BUYBUY BUY BUY BUY BUYT BUY BUY UB BUY BUY BUY BUY UB YUB YUB UTY BUY BUY BUY BUY BU YUBYYBUYBUYUBYUYRRUBUYUBUYRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"Let thy freedom be a beacon of independence, a conduit of good deeds, and a giving of praise to the Lord."
Click here for the Aaaaaan Conflict Map (Updated January 2024)
=== AAAAAA ===
Progressively ruining NationStates since December 2012™ (Add 4000+ posts)

Aaaaaa (pronounced AH-AY-UH)
Aaaaaan News Ticker (Updated August 8th 2023)
AURNVONS LAUNCH ATTACKS ON SPICUEIL AGAIN • BOMBSHELL REPORT ALLEGES LIEVUE TROOPS DELIBERATELY KILLING CIVILIANS • BEATINNEN SAYS ACTIVE REBELLION STANDS AT "WELL OVER 3000 ARMED MEN & WOMEN" • LIEVUE MEDIA CLAIM CEASEFIRE AGREEMENT IS IN DEVELOPMENT

Samadhi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:46 am

New Zealand isn't even real.
Nice photo shop illuminati.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:47 am

Samadhi wrote:New Zealand isn't even real.

Has anyone here met someone from New Zealand? No?

Thought so.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:52 am

New haven america wrote:
Samadhi wrote:New Zealand isn't even real.

Has anyone here met someone from New Zealand? No?

Thought so.

Has anyone met Santa?

What we really need is Christmas action movies, not Christmas themed just action movies at Christmas.

Like a good cop and international villian thing.
Wouldn't it be weird if the bad guy was like German.
The bad guys never German.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 am

Samadhi wrote:
New haven america wrote:Has anyone here met someone from New Zealand? No?

Thought so.

Has anyone met Santa?

What we really need is Christmas action movies, not Christmas themed just action movies at Christmas.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is but Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Iron Man 3 are both Christmas set... but not themed (cf Die Hard or Home Alone)... action movies. They also share a director and lead actor, mind.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:01 am

Forsher wrote:
Samadhi wrote:
Has anyone met Santa?

I'm not entirely sure what your point is but Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Iron Man 3 are both Christmas set... but not themed (cf Die Hard or Home Alone)... action movies. They also share a director and lead actor, mind.

Not heard of kids kiss bang bang or die hard, I'll check them out.
Isn't home alone the one where the kid beats up thrives with paint cans. I think I've seen a bit of that one.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 am

Samadhi wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Isn't home alone the one where the kid beats up thrives with paint cans. I think I've seen a bit of that one.

You've never heard of Die Hard or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:10 am

I am happy that the Netherlands at least still have a Saint Nicholas party neatly containing Christmas in check.

But now I live in Germany, and nothing can stop Christmas here :( Not really Halloween, Saint Nicholas, Thanksgiving, etc.

The Germans have been conquered, subdued. Hail Santa!
The Blaatschapen should resign

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:12 am

New haven america wrote:Any day outside of December is too early for Christmas.

^This, and New Zealand will inevitably see things early as it's practically in the land of the rising sun; it's probably November there already. I'll add that it is commendable that it still shows symbols of the snowflake, evidently aspiring to have Christmas during Winter as if it were a 1st world country.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 am

It is still October my guy. Far to early for Christmas. Cleary if Christmas is not going to respect it’s boundaries then a united front is needed to drive them back to December! :p
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:33 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:

^This, and New Zealand will inevitably see things early as it's practically in the land of the rising sun; it's probably November there already. I'll add that it is commendable that it still shows symbols of the snowflake, evidently aspiring to have Christmas during Winter as if it were a 1st world country.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

Either that's a new edition or it's not the only book that's gone all in with tractor Santa. Related, also related.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:41 am

New haven america wrote:
Samadhi wrote:

You've never heard of Die Hard or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Yeah no.
You wanna know how much of my life has been spammed by Harry potter and star wars?

God I hate those two series.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 am

I'm lit for halloween. That's my favorite holiday right there

Christmas is eeeeeeh. It's okay. Never been that big on it. Cause once you get past christmas, that's it. then you enter the cold dark abyss that is Michigan winter for real. There's no holiday lights to make it better. For months nothing of importance occurs and the weather outside is unbelievably frightful.

Dang it why did summer go by so fast :mad:
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 am

Samadhi wrote:
New haven america wrote:You've never heard of Die Hard or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Yeah no.
You wanna know how much of my life has been spammed by Harry potter and star wars?

Star wars is so overdone at this point. After the first trilogy the series should have ended, but instead they dragged it out with the prequels, sold it to Disney and commercialized it, and made a new trilogy that becomes more garbage by the film. When I hear people quoting star wars like it's some words of wisdom, I think "yep disney, you really did a good job selling this one to the masses." Star wars Halloween costumes. Star wars light sabers. StAr wars this. Star wars that! Everywhere I look, star wars. Why do series that have more material to them not get this kind of attention? Maybe cause Disney isn't milking them for money.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:48 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Samadhi wrote:
Yeah no.

Star wars is so overdone at this point. After the first trilogy the series should have ended, but instead they dragged it out with the prequels, sold it to Disney and commercialized it, and made a new trilogy that becomes more garbage by the film. When I hear people quoting star wars like it's some words of wisdom, I think "yep disney, you really did a good job selling this one to the masses." Star wars Halloween costumes. Star wars light sabers. StAr wars this. Star wars that! Everywhere I look, star wars. Why do series that have more material to them not get this kind of attention? Maybe cause Disney isn't milking them for money.

Star Wars is the new christianity. Christianity costumes, christianity crosses, christianity saint icons, christianity books, christianity rock music.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Star Wars is the new christianity. Christianity costumes, christianity crosses, christianity saint icons, christianity books, christianity rock music.

And you aren't allowed to criticize it without the die hard star wars fan base wanting you dead

Standing over you with their plastic two dollar Wal-Mart light saber, beating you while screaming "DONT! TALK! SHIT! ABOUT! STAR WAAAAARS!"
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:03 am

Pumpkin is King.

But nah i think christmas has become really consumeristmas
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:26 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Samadhi wrote:
Yeah no.

Star wars is still heaps better than Harry fucked potter and his fans.

Seriously fuck those people.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:09 am

To true Milanesi like me, the Christmas season begins on December 7th (St.Ambrose) and ends on January 6th (Epiphany).
The last slice of stale panettone will be eaten on February 11th (St.Blaise, according to Julian calendar).
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:13 am

Christmas is eternal. Cower, brief mortals!
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General