NATION

PASSWORD

"Quebec is the favourite child of Canada" NB Premier says

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Quebec be Independent?

Yes
14%
Yes, but with a schengen-style arrangement with Canada
15%
Not sure
8%
No, status quo
32%
No, Quebec should have its autonomy reduced
23%
New France 2.0
8%

Total votes : 65

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Luziyca wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yeah, uh, Saskatchewan in the 90's made plans that if Quebec ever became independent then they're joining the US.

So there is a large chance it will affect your day-to-day life if you don't move.

Perhaps it would. Perhaps we will get dragged into the US and lose our precious healthcare.

But I think the way things stand right now, I doubt that Saskatchewan would dust off those plans if Quebec were to secede.

How would it be considered "Being dragged off" when the place voluntarily joins?

I mean, is the fact that they even made those plans in the 90's not telling enough?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Napkizemlja wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yeah, uh, Saskatchewan in the 90's made plans that if Quebec ever became independent then they're joining the US.

So there is a large chance it will affect your day-to-day life if you don't move.

I wasn't aware it was still the 90's.

As for me here in the Prairies, I want Quebec to leave.

We are.

Once 1999 hit culture and media froze and the 90's has continued to exist and proliferate throughout the 21st century.
Last edited by New haven america on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 pm

New haven america wrote:
Luziyca wrote:I can honestly see why he might think that way, since there is that perception that Quebec gets a lot more from the rest of the country than it gives in return.

But I am not entirely sure if this is true: at best, we just don't want to deal with the prospect of Canada breaking up again, and honestly, I think it has paid off, what with sovereignty of Quebec not being on the table.

That said, as for my personal opinions regarding Quebecois separation, I'm apathetic: as a Saskatchewanian, it's probably not going to affect my day-to-day life in the least. While we will basically become no-name America if they do leave, if the Quebecois want to leave Canada, that is fine.

Just have a fucking plan in place so that leaving Canada doesn't take as long as fucking Brexit.

Yeah, uh, Saskatchewan in the 90's made plans that if Quebec ever became independent then they're joining the US.

All plans from the provinces who thought about joining the States were killed in their infancy when it turned out most Canadians didn't want to be part of the US just because Quebec left. Aside from the Newfie's, who's plan seemed to mostly consist of telling the Quebecois to fuck off away from Labrador.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:48 pm

New haven america wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Perhaps it would. Perhaps we will get dragged into the US and lose our precious healthcare.

But I think the way things stand right now, I doubt that Saskatchewan would dust off those plans if Quebec were to secede.

How would it be considered "Being dragged off" when the place voluntarily joins?

I mean, is the fact that they even made those plans in the 90's not telling enough?

Yes, and how many people in Saskatchewan would want to be part of the USA?
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:54 pm

New haven america wrote:
Pacomia wrote:Would that be all that bad for Canada?

Oh right, agriculture.

I mean, it's generally not considered a good thing when massive swaths of your country starts running away or breaking apart.

Correct.

Luziyca wrote:
New haven america wrote:How would it be considered "Being dragged off" when the place voluntarily joins?

Yes, and how many people in Saskatchewan would want to be part of the USA?

That's a legit question. I, for one sometimes wonder why....uh, some Americans are so hyped about the prospect of the States annexing their northern neighbour.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:55 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Yes, and how many people in Saskatchewan would want to be part of the USA?

That's a legit question. I, for one sometimes wonder why....uh, some Americans are so hyped about the prospect of the States annexing their northern neighbour.

Controlling our natural resources and the Northwest Passage, probably.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:That's a legit question. I, for one sometimes wonder why....uh, some Americans are so hyped about the prospect of the States annexing their northern neighbour.

Controlling our natural resources and the Northwest Passage, probably.

Still bitter about 1814.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Heloin wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Controlling our natural resources and the Northwest Passage, probably.

Still bitter about 1814.

Can't they just, let it go~

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Heloin wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Controlling our natural resources and the Northwest Passage, probably.

Still bitter about 1814.

All Natural resources are America's haven't the gulf wars taught you that ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:38 pm

New haven america wrote:I mean, it's generally not considered a good thing when massive swaths of your country starts running away or breaking apart.

Correct.

Luziyca wrote:Yes, and how many people in Saskatchewan would want to be part of the USA?

America doesn't actually care about Canada, it's more of a joke ribbing on Canada and scaring Canadians who for some reason actually do think America wants Canada.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

Dresderstan wrote:If Quebec becomes independent, what will happen with the Atlantic provinces, something I think most Quebec separtists rarely even talk about.

Become american clay
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:56 am

Napkizemlja wrote:

I wasn't aware it was still the 90's.

As for me here in the Prairies, I want Quebec to leave.

Doubtless, you are not the only one.

Only problem is, Ottawa has made it quite worth Quebec's time to stay in Canada. When M. Parizeau complained that the Referendum in 1995 was a failure because of "Anglo Money and the Ethnic Vote", he wasn't wrong - what he failed to mention was just who was being bribed. The Quebecois political class is notoriously corrupt, and has been so going back to colonial times. All the Anglo Elites had to do, to keep the French in lines was buy off the Quebecois leadership (which during the British Rule was essentially the Catholic Church). Nothing has changed now, except who is being bribed and how they're being bribed. Canada is not a Third World Banana Republic, so it ain't gonna be that obvious; but you gotta read between the lines. Why do you think Ottawa throws so many favours and jobs and rights, and free money Quebec's way? Its to keep them plugged in.

Truth of the matter is, and I say this as somebody born and raised in Quebec; that the Quebecois political class do not give a rat's ass about their People, their Culture, or the Sovereignty of their Nation (all of these things are honorable things, worthy to be defended). Really, its just a gimmick to extract wealth and favours from Ottawa. The reason Quebec never left is because they (the Quebecois Elites) have it too good in Canada, to actually leave. They'd have to be forced out, because Ottawa would be unable or unwilling to keep the gravy train flowing.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Canada is not a real Nation per se; rather, it is a Multinational Union of various Regions/Nations, each with their own Identity and Interests; and as such, it is liable to explode and shatter at some point in the near future; when Ottawa can no longer keep it together.

Don't get me wrong, Uncle Sam has the same problem; the only difference is that America at least pretends to have a unifying Ethos and Identity; and their Federal Government is much stronger than Canada's and much more able to back up their words with military muscle.
Last edited by Nea Byzantia on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 am

Interesting thread...
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:59 am

Dresderstan wrote:If Quebec becomes independent, what will happen with the Atlantic provinces, something I think most Quebec separtists rarely even talk about.

I don't think the Quebec Separatists give a crap about the Maritimes...except perhaps Acadie (New Brunswick to the Anglos)

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:03 am

New haven america wrote:I mean, it's generally not considered a good thing when massive swaths of your country starts running away or breaking apart.

Correct.

MANIFEST.

DESTINY.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 am

As someone who looks into Quebec with interest, since I have taken some years of French and look to expand my knowledge of "La Francophonie," I do admit that Quebec does get a sort of favoritism by the Canadian Government. While the amount of complaining and protesting can be linked to the French culture from Europe (which is something a French professor I've had told me that Protesting is just something the French are known for), I do believe that Quebec should not protest so often, and should embrace not only their French culture, but also being a part of Canada and they should make more agreeable terms with the Anglophone parts of Canada.

Also, their French language and culture should never be oppressed, considering the amount of civil rights that would be violated with that. It's been there for some centuries now, might as well keep the status quo.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:09 am

HUElavia wrote:As someone who looks into Quebec with interest, since I have taken some years of French and look to expand my knowledge of "La Francophonie," I do admit that Quebec does get a sort of favoritism by the Canadian Government. While the amount of complaining and protesting can be linked to the French culture from Europe (which is something a French professor I've had told me that Protesting is just something the French are known for), I do believe that Quebec should not protest so often, and should embrace not only their French culture, but also being a part of Canada and they should make more agreeable terms with the Anglophone parts of Canada.

Yeah, but they're the French, they're always going to do that :p

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Risottia wrote:
Greater Miami Shores wrote:Quebec should be an independent nation state.overseas region of France, hon hon hon.

Fixed.

That might work in Canada's favour if it was done temporarily, as then Quebec might lose its siege-mentality and just accept that ice hockey is better than handball.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:05 pm

It's a hard one really. Obviously, I idealy think they should be an independent country because in a general sense it's better if the government is closer and more aligned with the people. However, I certainly don't think they should if there is no majority for it.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:It's a hard one really. Obviously, I idealy think they should be an independent country because in a general sense it's better if the government is closer and more aligned with the people. However, I certainly don't think they should if there is no majority for it.

Besides, Quebec can't support itself. They don't want to admit it, but they need Canada to support them.
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General