NATION

PASSWORD

Do you need a Maker in your life?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

So... do you-

I cook and make everything at home; just get me the groceries.
35%
I go out and eat now and then. Homecooked food sometimes.
41%
I eat out every single time. My kitchen misses me.
8%
I have dinner arrangements with Hasselhoff.
16%

Total votes : 63

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm

All I need is a wafflemaker.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:32 pm

I never learned how to use a coffee maker (Mormon family) and at this point, I'm embarrassed to ask. So I just don't drink coffee except on the occasions where I really need a boost, since I can't afford daily coffees.
I tend to make simple things for reasons of money and time - peanut butter and jelly, ramen, frozen pizza, and cold cereal are fixtures. I really like cooking though, so when I actually get time (over classbreaks when I'm not working), I'll make elaborate meals. I use a Kitchenaid and a waffle maker, but those are the only machines I use when really cooking. I also use a toaster oven and microwave in daily life.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Cekoviu wrote:I never learned how to use a coffee maker (Mormon family) and at this point, I'm embarrassed to ask. So I just don't drink coffee except on the occasions where I really need a boost, since I can't afford daily coffees.
I tend to make simple things for reasons of money and time - peanut butter and jelly, ramen, frozen pizza, and cold cereal are fixtures. I really like cooking though, so when I actually get time (over classbreaks when I'm not working), I'll make elaborate meals. I use a Kitchenaid and a waffle maker, but those are the only machines I use when really cooking. I also use a toaster oven and microwave in daily life.

I didn't really drink coffee that much, though it was mostly because of personal preference. Also because I am worried about this thing where if you keep drinking coffee to stay awake, you will need larger and larger doses as you go on.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Eahland
Senator

Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Eahland » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 pm

I have a bread robot. I feed it flour and yeast and so on, and it makes bread that's better than the good bread from the store, and cheaper than the cheap bread from the store. The down sides are that it's a lot more hassle than picking something off the shelf at the store, and the bread goes moldy a lot faster than preservative-laden store bread. It's a lot less hassle than making bread by hand, though.

I almost always eat home cooking. It's way, way cheaper than eating out (if this weren't the case, there wouldn't be restaurants, because they wouldn't be able to cover the overhead of waitstaff and so on). I have like four or five meals that I rotate through, though - and one of those is "just throw a frozen pizza in the oven" - because I live alone and the list of stuff that I can make that I can eat up before it goes bad - or before I get sick of eating it for every meal - and that's worth the hassle when I'm just feeding myself is pretty short. I've been told that I make the best cheeseburgers ever, though. I've had a lot of practice.

US-SSR wrote:The one kitchen appliance I've never understood is the toaster oven. I have a toaster that toasts better and an oven that is a better oven; why do I need an appliance that does these two jobs worse than the appliances I already own?

I use my toaster oven probably more than any other appliance in my kitchen (except the fridge, I guess, which I suppose I'm technically using all the time). I find that it's a better toaster than a toaster - it toasts basic toaster fodder just as well, and you can put stuff in it that's difficult or impossible to put in a regular toaster. (Hamburger buns, whole sandwiches, burritos, slices of pizza, nachos...)

And for reheating stuff, there are some things (notably, pizza) which it does a lot better than the microwave, and it's faster and more energy-efficient than warming up the full-up oven.

I never do actual cooking in the thing, though.
Eahlisc Wordboc (Glossary)
Eahlisc Healþambiht segþ: NE DRENCE, EÐA, OÞÞE ONDO BLÆCE!

Previous

Return to General