NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XI: Boris' Big Bombastic Brexit Bash

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you support to become the next Labour Party Leader?

Clive Lewis (DROPPED OUT)
2%
Keir Starmer (Shadow Brexit Secretary, MP for Holborn and St Pancras)
41%
Lisa Nandy (MP for Wigan)
9%
Jess Phillips (DROPPED OUT)
15%
Emily Thornberry (Shadow First Secretary of State, MP for Islington South and Finsbury)
6%
Yvette Cooper (DROPPED OUT)
1%
Dan Jarvis (DROPPED OUT)
1%
Ian Lavery (DROPPED OUT)
1%
Rebecca Long Bailey (Shadow Business Secretary, MP for Salford and Eccles)
15%
Other (Please state who in a reply)
9%

Total votes : 116

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 am

There's your second referendum, people want Brexit.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:10 am

Lower Nubia wrote:The genuinely sad thing, is if we had MMP we would have an entirely different future outcome. I’m not concerned about Corbyn’s loss, the EHRC’s report on anti-semitism, the IFS’s analysis on Labour’s manifesto concerning tax, made Corbyn’s position weaker. While Boris’s EU deal is hardly fiscally conservative, his parties islamophobia, and deceit in this election should have made the electorate question a vote for either. Apparently, however, the sunk cost fallacy over Brexit was all the electorate really ever needed. I’m glad I spoiled my ballot

What's MMP?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 am

Marxist Germany wrote:There's your second referendum, people want Brexit.

Your country left a hundred years ago, don't see why you're dictating politics to us
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:11 am

The Archregimancy wrote:For those who missed it...

Alan Johnson rips into Jon Lansman and Momentum live on ITV.

Clearly not all senior party figures believe that the core problem is unfair media coverage of the leader.
Those two analogies Alan Johnson uses made me think of Corbyn as a flaming turd. What else stinks on your doorstep and is in a paper bag?
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:12 am

Aside from the plurality of those voting voting for the anti-Brexit parties.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:The genuinely sad thing, is if we had MMP we would have an entirely different future outcome. I’m not concerned about Corbyn’s loss, the EHRC’s report on anti-semitism, the IFS’s analysis on Labour’s manifesto concerning tax, made Corbyn’s position weaker. While Boris’s EU deal is hardly fiscally conservative, his parties islamophobia, and deceit in this election should have made the electorate question a vote for either. Apparently, however, the sunk cost fallacy over Brexit was all the electorate really ever needed. I’m glad I spoiled my ballot

What's MMP?

Mixed-member proportional representation.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 am

Vassenor wrote:

Aside from the plurality of those voting voting for the anti-Brexit parties.

You mean the majority. Over 54*% of voters wanted second referendum parties.

*Forgot the BP. :roll:
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:13 am

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:

Your country left a hundred years ago, don't see why you're dictating politics to us

Not quite 100, and I am only making observations.

Wonderful day for Nationalists in NI.

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:16 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:So did young people not vote, or did they mainly vote Conservative?

like 10% of young people voted Tory

The Tories are absolutely fucked in the long term and before someone goes "uh young people have always voted Labour" no they haven't, that's a myth and the youth vote was until very recently largely in line with the overall vote. Speaking as someone who should be a Tory but isn't
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:16 am

Alright so national results, absolute clusterfuck, this place is screwed, im quickly entering a period of "I dont give a fuck" about mainland UK politics, just like i was prior to 2015.

Locally however.... i was kind of.. happy with how it turned out, very much so (as some of you witnessed in this very thread) so im gona do a little breakdown of how things went in Northern Ireland last night:

OVERALL PERCENTAGE OF VOTE:

DUP 30.6%
Sinn Féin 22.8%
Alliance Party 16.8%
SDLP 14.9%
UUP 11.7%
Aontú 1.2%
Others:2.0%

VOTE SHARE CHANGE FROM 2017:
DUP: -5.4%
Sinn Fein: -6.7%
Alliance Party: +8.8
SDLP: 3.1%
UUP: 1.4%
Aontu: 1.2%

SEATS:
DUP: 8 -2
Sinn Fein: 7 NOC)
Alliance Party: 1 +1
SDLP: 2 +2
Oths: 0 -1

DUP lost North and South Belfast, Sinn Fein lost Foyle but gained North Belfast, Alliance gained North Down, SDLP gained Foyle and South Belfast.

I am over the moon with this result, 3/4 MP's in Belfast are Nationalist, the DUP only held East Belfast by 1800 votes with Alliance right behind them. Alliance took North Down which i thought would go DUP, and the SDLP took Foyle as well as South Belfast giving them 2 MP's. DUP and Sinn Fein's vote share is down quite considerably, with the Alliance party enjoying quite a large swing in their favour, moving into second place in several Unionist dominated areas ahead of the UUP.

I was honestly surprised how much of a beating Sinn Fein took last night, they didnt lose any seats but their vote share got obliterated in some constituencies, down 19% in Foyle, down 12.9% in my home constituency of West Belfast. But despite that they balanced out in seats, as i mentioned above, losing one but taking another.

The DUP and Loyalism are the big losers of this election easily, the DUP took some serious hits in Belfast and lost a fair few votes in other seats they held onto, making it likely someone, namely alliance might be able to try and wrestle them away from them in the future.

Nationalism did really well last night, with three historic wins, taking North Belfast and getting a majority of MP's in Belfast, and the SDLP picked up its votes as Sinn Fein's dropped, evening it out a bit. And overall, there are now more Nationalist MP's than there are Unionist MP's, 9-7 which is fucking monumental.

Alliance also did really well last night, taking a seat, coming close to taking another and moving solidly into second place in several other constituencies and enjoying the biggest swing in the vote, it seems the surge from the local and MEP elections continued on. THE YELLOW TIDE BITCHES YE YE YE YE YE
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:Your country left a hundred years ago, don't see why you're dictating politics to us

Not quite 100, and I am only making observations.

For Alliance, not Nationalists
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:18 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Alright so national results, absolute clusterfuck, this place is screwed, im quickly entering a period of "I dont give a fuck" about mainland UK politics, just like i was prior to 2015.

Locally however.... i was kind of.. happy with how it turned out, very much so (as some of you witnessed in this very thread) so im gona do a little breakdown of how things went in Northern Ireland last night:

DUP 30.6%
Sinn Féin 22.8%
Alliance Party 16.8%
SDLP 14.9%
UUP 11.7%
Aontú 1.2%

SEATS:

DUP lost North and South Belfast, Sinn Fein lost Foyle but gained North Belfast, Alliance gained North Down, SDLP gained Foyle and South Belfast.

I am over the moon with this result, 3/4 MP's in Belfast are Nationalist, the DUP only held East Belfast by 1800 votes with Alliance right behind them. Alliance took North Down which i thought would go DUP, and the SDLP took Foyle as well as South Belfast giving them 2 MP's. DUP and Sinn Fein's vote share is down quite considerably, with the Alliance party enjoying quite a large swing in their favour, moving into second place in several Unionist dominated areas ahead of the UUP.

I was honestly surprised how much of a beating Sinn Fein took last night, they didnt lose any seats but their vote share got obliterated in some constituencies, down 19% in Foyle, down 12.9% in my home constituency of West Belfast. But despite that they balanced out in seats, as i mentioned above, losing one but taking another.

The DUP and Loyalism are the big losers of this election easily, the DUP took some serious hits in Belfast and lost a fair few votes in other seats they held onto, making it likely someone, namely alliance might be able to try and wrestle them away from them in the future.

Nationalism did really well last night, with three historic wins, taking North Belfast and getting a majority of MP's in Belfast, and the SDLP picked up its votes as Sinn Fein's dropped, evening it out a bit. And overall, there are now more Nationalist MP's than there are Unionist MP's, 9-7 which is fucking monumental.

Alliance also did really well last night, taking a seat, coming close to taking another and moving solidly into second place in several other constituencies and enjoying the biggest swing in the vote, it seems the surge from the local and MEP elections continued on. THE YELLOW TIDE BITCHES YE YE YE YE YE

Counter intuitively, are you thinking that rural NI is becoming unionist, while the cities are becoming republican?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 am

Marxist Germany wrote:Not quite 100, and I am only making observations.

For Alliance, not Nationalists

1 seat?

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:For Alliance, not Nationalists

1 seat?

first-past-the-post
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 am

Marxist Germany wrote:1 seat?

first-past-the-post

so yeah, constituency results are fucked especially in NI, but Unionists and Nationalists overall lost votes while Alliance more than doubled their share of the vote
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:22 am

Still happy as a clam that Fife North East was snatched from SNP. The rest of the result is shit, but I was most interested in this seat.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Marxist Germany
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:23 am

Marxist Germany wrote:1 seat?

first-past-the-post

Yeah but nationalists have a majority

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:23 am

The New California Republic wrote:Still happy as a clam that Fife North East was snatched from SNP. The rest of the result is shit, but I was most interested in this seat.

Yeah Jo Swinson lost her seat and you were looking at losing Orkney and Shetland but at least you got Fife North East
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:24 am

The New California Republic wrote:Still happy as a clam that Fife North East was snatched from SNP. The rest of the result is shit, but I was most interested in this seat.

I did not like Jo Swinson. That is all.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:24 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:first-past-the-post

Yeah but nationalists have a majority

Sinn Fein don't take their seats, so no actually ;) and popular vote is 39% Nationalist
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:24 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Alright so national results, absolute clusterfuck, this place is screwed, im quickly entering a period of "I dont give a fuck" about mainland UK politics, just like i was prior to 2015.

DUP 30.6%
Sinn Féin 22.8%
Alliance Party 16.8%
SDLP 14.9%
UUP 11.7%
Aontú 1.2%

SEATS:

It’s a pity Alliance only got one seat. One poll had them on 3 and they honestly would have deserved that result. Still, anything that makes the DUP quiver in the night is a satisfactory outcome in my books.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am

Yeah Jo Swinson lost her seat and you were looking at losing Orkney and Shetland but at least you got Fife North East

You weren't here last night when I said that Swinson going was the icing on the cake, as that was exactly what I was hoping for, so using that to try to rain on my parade is wide of the mark buddy. :)
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

I did not like Jo Swinson. That is all.

Can't decide what was better, her running a presidential campaign only to find out the electorate hated her or her doing the whole "i could be the next prime minister!!" thing and then losing her seat :rofl:
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am

Lower Nubia wrote:

DUP 30.6%
Sinn Féin 22.8%
Alliance Party 16.8%
SDLP 14.9%
UUP 11.7%
Aontú 1.2%

SEATS:

Counter intuitively, are you thinking that rural NI is becoming unionist, while the cities are becoming republican?
Not necessarily, SInn Fein held onto the border regions which are quite rural, especially Fermanagh and South Tyrone, and West Tyrone.

I think its a combination of two things, anti DUP voting by moderate unionists and remainers, and the gradual Demographic change that was bound to happen eventually. There is a significant chunk of Unionists who were pro remain too, and that has only risen over time from what ive seen in the polls, so the DUP being pro brexit and helping reside over the shit show for the last few years has turned on them, causing many voters to go to the Alliance party.

The Unionist population is also not growing as fast the Nationalist population is, so it was bound to happen eventually that places like North Belfast, which is split down the middle in terms of demographics, would flip. Finucane being the lord mayor of Belfast, and his family's past such as his fathers murder in the troubles, probably helped his campaign a good bit in getting more nationalists out to vote.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:26 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:Yeah Jo Swinson lost her seat and you were looking at losing Orkney and Shetland but at least you got Fife North East

You weren't here last night when I said that Swinson going was the icing on the cake, as that was exactly what I was hoping for, so using that to try to rain on my parade is wide of the mark buddy. :)

I wasn't here last night because I was sleeping because I wasn't staying up to watch fucking Bolsover go blue
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General