NATION

PASSWORD

Should Events Go With a Bang?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should fireworks be...

Sold freely to anyone at anytime
36%
Sold with restrictions (i.e. age, restricted duration; please specify)
40%
Sold only to licensed people running a professional display
19%
Sold only to the Hoff. Only the Hoff can be trusted with fireworks
4%
Not sold at any time
2%

Total votes : 81

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Eh. Fireworks suck and people who love them tend to be annoying to me.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 pm

The Holy Therns wrote:Eh. Fireworks suck and people who love them tend to be annoying to me.

I just like blowing things up.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:Eh. Fireworks suck and people who love them tend to be annoying to me.

Cool cats don't look at explosions, they just walk away

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions https://g.co/kgs/R92r1c

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:16 pm

Kowani wrote:Imagine liking fireworks.

Sst, personal preference got it? :p

Ethel mermania wrote:

Wew, don't say that out loud. Maybe the FBI is still around :p
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Here we only have one legal opportunity to use fireworks every year

So as you can imagine, people go all out in those 5-6 days of New Year's
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Cool cats don't look at explosions, they just walk away

Cool Guys Don't Look At Explosions https://g.co/kgs/R92r1c

I am a cat I always walk away in slow motion.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:38 pm

> people do not have a right not to be offended
> animals are less than people
> they have even less of a right not to be offended than people
I don't care if your dog is scared of fireworks, if I've got something to celebrate I'll spend my own money making it as loud and flashy as I like.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Ah. Sorry.

Yeah, the UK sells them in the run up and following to Hallowe'en, Bonfire Night, and in the run-up to New Year, Diwali and Chinese New Year. (Source)

You can actually get them all year round from a licensed fireworks seller. There's one about 10 minutes walk from my house.

Should have been clearer and said "sold anywhere". There used to be a licensed seller somewhere around here, but they closed about three years ago and no new one has opened up.

I can't say I'm sorry.

Ethel mermania wrote:

Standard indemnity clause: This thread accepts no liability if suited persons of a governmental nature want to ask you questions. :p
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
You can actually get them all year round from a licensed fireworks seller. There's one about 10 minutes walk from my house.

Should have been clearer and said "sold anywhere". There used to be a licensed seller somewhere around here, but they closed about three years ago and no new one has opened up.

I can't say I'm sorry.

Ethel mermania wrote:

Standard indemnity clause: This thread accepts no liability if suited persons of a governmental nature want to ask you questions. :p

I think there are still online fireworks sellers in the UK.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Should have been clearer and said "sold anywhere". There used to be a licensed seller somewhere around here, but they closed about three years ago and no new one has opened up.

I can't say I'm sorry.

I think there are still online fireworks sellers in the UK.

Kind of problematic, though, for checking ID (as they can't be sold to minors in the UK). Any tearaway teen could get hold of Daddy's credit card and order fireworks, not only causing a public nuisance, but potentially injuring himself or his friends.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:22 pm

Anytime generally. There's a shop/warehouse/producer near where i live that sells just about everything legal year-round. (even mortar and shell level stuff)
Last edited by James_xenoland on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I think there are still online fireworks sellers in the UK.

Kind of problematic, though, for checking ID (as they can't be sold to minors in the UK). Any tearaway teen could get hold of Daddy's credit card and order fireworks, not only causing a public nuisance, but potentially injuring himself or his friends.

I bought a whole load of fireworks from the shop I mentioned, and after checking they're still going, when I was 16. They didn't check. In my defence I was using Daddy's credit card because he'd said 'Can you order some fireworks for bonfire night?' and I didn't know the law at the time.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:32 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Kind of problematic, though, for checking ID (as they can't be sold to minors in the UK). Any tearaway teen could get hold of Daddy's credit card and order fireworks, not only causing a public nuisance, but potentially injuring himself or his friends.

I bought a whole load of fireworks from the shop I mentioned, and after checking they're still going, when I was 16. They didn't check. In my defence I was using Daddy's credit card because he'd said 'Can you order some fireworks for bonfire night?' and I didn't know the law at the time.

You kind of made my point about how easy it is for minors to get hold of fireworks (which is part of why I personally think there should be more restrictions on sales). So... thanks, I guess.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:> people do not have a right not to be offended
I don't care if your dog is scared of fireworks, if I've got something to celebrate I'll spend my own money making it as loud and flashy as I like.

Offence has nothing to do with it.

Fireworks are a classic externality problem. If you want to be really fancy you can treat them as positive and negative consumption externalities.

So, in some ways, it's a property rights issue. Banning fireworks is the hard right response.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I bought a whole load of fireworks from the shop I mentioned, and after checking they're still going, when I was 16. They didn't check. In my defence I was using Daddy's credit card because he'd said 'Can you order some fireworks for bonfire night?' and I didn't know the law at the time.

You kind of made my point about how easy it is for minors to get hold of fireworks (which is part of why I personally think there should be more restrictions on sales). So... thanks, I guess.

I don't agree with it though. I bought the fireworks, put them in the basement, we used them for a birthday, they were noisy. Nothing went wrong.

My family are one of those families that like fireworks. Things get fucking loud lol, although we don't do it so much in Scotland because, you know, lots of chickens and our neighbours already hate us because we keep noisy chickens. The idea of the sort of noise chickens would make when combined with fireworks doesn't bear thinking about, it would probably burst your eardrums.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Forsher wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:> people do not have a right not to be offended

Offence has nothing to do with it.

Fireworks are a classic externality problem. If you want to be really fancy you can treat them as positive and negative consumption externalities.

So, in some ways, it's a property rights issue. Banning fireworks is the hard right response.

If you use them sensibly, fireworks can be great. If you don't use them sensibly and you hurt yourself, Mr. Darwin smiles down from Heaven, sighs, and says 'I told you so.' If you use them badly and hurt someone else, you should go to prison like any crime against the person. Scaring animals really isn't the issue though, unless you avoid it for your own sanity like my family does with the chickens.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 pm

"Do you 'ave a loicense for that firework?"

Kidding aside, I am honestly surprised fireworks were not regulated in the UK like they were in New Jersey.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:47 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:"Do you 'ave a loicense for that firework?"

Kidding aside, I am honestly surprised fireworks were not regulated in the UK like they were in New Jersey.

They are regulated. My parents really struggle to get category 4 (display quality) fireworks, and firecrackers and jumping jacks are completely banned.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:27 pm

Is it possible to make a large display style rocket that works without making a loud bang? Could we have fireworks that don't terrify dogs?
Everything is intertwinkled

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 pm

You're just jealous cause most fireworks are banned in Sweden.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:44 pm

New haven america wrote:

You're just jealous cause most fireworks are banned in Sweden.

I'm jealous that most fireworks are banned in Sweden :p

Joking. Kind of. I want them regulated, not banned entirely.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:59 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Is it possible to make a large display style rocket that works without making a loud bang? Could we have fireworks that don't terrify dogs?

The bang is part of the point.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:02 am

Forsher wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Is it possible to make a large display style rocket that works without making a loud bang? Could we have fireworks that don't terrify dogs?

Not to me. I like the colour and the patterns rather than the explosions.
Everything is intertwinkled

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 am

Fireworks should be sold to anyone as long as they're above the age of 18. Teenagers here started putting them up ducks' butts and stuff, truly horrible.

Other than that, anyone of age should be able to have them to celebrate any occasion they want, or just for any reason really. If your neighbours have dogs or young children and they complain about you using them, it's your choice whether to listen or not.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:07 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Not to me. I like the colour and the patterns rather than the explosions.

Ah, for you, the solution is simple... develop myopia, take off your glasses and look at literally any lights at night... instant fireworks.

On a related note, I sometimes wonder if van Gogh was an undiagnosed myopic.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General