NATION

PASSWORD

Is the United States an empire?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the US an empire?

Yes
56%
Unsure
7%
No
37%

Total votes : 119

Empire of Ur
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 05, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Ur » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Sundiata wrote:Yes, the United States is an empire that has a moral obligation to expand its influence globally.

The United States should promote a unipolar world order where it holds cultural, diplomatic, militaristic, and economic hegemony over all countries. The ideal: one currency, one government, one planet. Therefore, it is not just an obligation that we surpass China and Russia, but a definitive ethic.

I am in favor of "nation-building."

One currency, one government, one planet is a terrible idea that will never work. And Nation Building is also another terrible Globalist idea.
Pronouns: she/her

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
New haven america wrote:Considering the most basic definition of an Empire is a multiethnic groups of states or countries under a single authority, yes.

Same thing goes for most of the countries in The New World.

Russia, China, Indonesia, India, and Philippines are all empires tbf

Finally, someone recognized us :p
Sundiata wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:No, thank you. While it can be argued that the States' influence is better than the Russian or Chinese ones, we would prefer you to not intrude our business.
American influence is superior to the Russian and Chinese. Regardless of your preference, all "business" is and must necessarily be, American business.

Is the States our parent? No. Then, it has no right to suddenly get into somebody's business because absurd impulses, 'superior' or not.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Yes. Though it can't decide if it wants to be one or not which produces bad and poor outcomes.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Emulation White wrote:A tough question, where does the power of the US flow from? The military, multi-national corporations, elected officials and elements of international influence. I would say it is an amalgamation of oligarchies. Not an empire in the classical sense, I would vouch that would require a more cohesive mindset which I don't think characterizes the US. I would say it is the world's most powerful tool masquerading as a nation.

This is pretty much a good description of what America is.

I don't know if it is an empire, but it does feel pretty imperialist.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Empire of Ur wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Yes, the United States is an empire that has a moral obligation to expand its influence globally.

The United States should promote a unipolar world order where it holds cultural, diplomatic, militaristic, and economic hegemony over all countries. The ideal: one currency, one government, one planet. Therefore, it is not just an obligation that we surpass China and Russia, but a definitive ethic.

One currency, one government, one planet is a terrible idea that will never work. And Nation Building is also another terrible Globalist idea.
Nation building works: for example, the Marshall Plan.

The problem is that we leave the countries we invade, in fact, we haven't justly finished a war since WWII.
Last edited by Sundiata on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
New haven america wrote:Considering the most basic definition of an Empire is a multiethnic groups of states or countries under a single authority, yes.

Same thing goes for most of the countries in The New World.

Russia, China, Indonesia, India, and Philippines are all empires tbf

Under the most basic definition, you are completely correct.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Sovaal wrote:I mean do empires have positive qualities that are not possessed by non imperial nations?

The bantz is about all I can think of. Maybe you can argue "positive" in a systems theory sense, as in they are a necessary step along the development of human civilization.

The on one that comes to mind for me is stability over wide areas allowing trade and ideas to extend farther connections previously unconnected regions, i.e the Mongol Empire, but I imagine that can be done sans all the death.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Empire of Ur wrote:

I fail to see how any of what you claimed in the bolded is true.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
The bantz is about all I can think of. Maybe you can argue "positive" in a systems theory sense, as in they are a necessary step along the development of human civilization.

The on one that comes to mind for me is stability over wide areas allowing trade and ideas to extend farther connections previously unconnected regions, i.e the Mongol Empire, but I imagine that can be done sans all the death.

Military invasions tend to produce civilian deaths, whether one likes it or not. It's not helping that the Mongols like to use that to their own advantage to spread terror as part of their strategy.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Russia, China, Indonesia, India, and Philippines are all empires tbf

Finally, someone recognized us :p
Sundiata wrote: American influence is superior to the Russian and Chinese. Regardless of your preference, all "business" is and must necessarily be, American business.

Is the States our parent? No. Then, it has no right to suddenly get into somebody's business because absurd impulses, 'superior' or not.
The United States might as well be the world's parent, it certainly needs one amidst all of the chaos. :roll: It is our right to right the world and has been since the Second World War.
Last edited by Sundiata on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Samudera Darussalam wrote:Finally, someone recognized us :p

The United States might as well be the world's parent, it certainly needs one amidst all of the chaos. It is our right to right the world and has been since the Second World War.

Lately neo-wilsonianism has been fallen out of favor.

Empire of Ur
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Ur » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 pm

New haven america wrote:
Empire of Ur wrote:One currency, one government, one planet is a terrible idea that will never work. And Nation Building is also another terrible Globalist idea.

I fail to see how any of what you claimed in the bolded is true.

It's false if your some Evil mastermind seeking world domination.Do you know how hard it would be to rule the world with one goverment and currency? Look at what the EU has done to contries like Greece. And no one would accept a world goverment exept Globalists. The world is too diverse to unite under a single goverment.
Pronouns: she/her

Sino-Mehxicolan
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sino-Mehxicolan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 pm

New haven america wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Russia, China, Indonesia, India, and Philippines are all empires tbf

Under the most basic definition, you are completely correct.

I concur. The US has some parallels to historic empires such as Rome, Great Britain, France, etc.
Of course, some might say/debate that the United States is currently in a challenging time. The way it operates and is managed increasingly seems to have issues.

These days, it seems challenging to say the US is an Empire in the ways people think. It is indeed a complex country that encompasses various groups and has some extent of influence and/or control over many peoples including indigenous nations.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:37 pm

Empire of Ur wrote:
New haven america wrote:I fail to see how any of what you claimed in the bolded is true.

1. It's false if your some Evil mastermind seeking world domination. 2. Do you know how hard it would be to rule the world with one goverment and currency? 3. Look at what the EU has done to contries like Greece. 4. And no one would accept a world goverment exept Globalists. The world is too diverse to unite under a single goverment.

1. Why?
2. If humanity wasn't such a fucked up race it'd be pretty easy.
3. That's Greece's fault. They're the one's who lied about their average GDP and yearly spending in order to get in.
4. Gee, it's almost as if we've developed systems of governance designed specifically to deal with large and diverse populations, like federations or republics or unions.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Nakena wrote:
Sundiata wrote:The United States might as well be the world's parent, it certainly needs one amidst all of the chaos. It is our right to right the world and has been since the Second World War.

Nonsense, it's the American way.

The problem is that many liberals don't see the forest for the trees. I used to think it was power that brought responsibility but in reality, it's the other way around. It's responsibility that brings great power.

The United States will lead the world because the cause for which we stand is right and just. Likewise, the world follows where the United States leads. The United States is only has such might because it is so right. And we must, in the words of President Lincoln, "dare to do our duty."
Last edited by Sundiata on Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Nakena wrote:

The problem is that many liberals don't see the forest for the trees. I used to think it was power that brought responsibility but in reality, it's the other way around. It's responsibility that brings great power.

The United States will lead the world because the cause for which we stand is right and just. Likewise, the world follows where the United States leads. The United States is only has such might because it is so right. And we must, in the words of President Lincoln, "dare to do our duty."

The optimal international "end goal" is the incorporation of other countries into the Union, after first establishing right and proper cultural hegemony so as to avoid conflict of values (assuming that the population of an annexed country is less than ~ 10,000,000; if the population of the annexed country exceeds ~ 10,000,000 then their administrative subdivisions would be incorporated into the Union). Of course, the current socio-political institutions of the Union must be reformed for unification to be good, for otherwise we'd just be spreading the disease of radical individualism to our brothers and sisters around the world. One currency, one government, one planet; it makes enough sense to me, at least. Does it make enough sense to any of y'all? Or am I alone in this bit?
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Also, the NS stats don't reflect my RL views, just to clarify.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Sundiata wrote:Nonsense, it's the American way.

Theres a lot of people here who would fundamentally disagree with you on that here.

Sundiata wrote:The problem is that many liberals don't see the forest for the trees. I used to think it was power that brought responsibility but in reality, it's the other way around. It's responsibility that brings great power. The United States will lead the world because the cause for which we stand is right and just. Likewise, the world follows where the United States leads.

The United States is only has such might because it is so right. And we must, in the words of President Lincoln, "dare to do our duty."

So a mantle of responsibility sort of? I see where you are coming from, but all I have been saying that this view has become somewhat increasingly rare.

The thing is this has been increasingly less the case in the past years and far less if anymore at all under Trump. The US is slowly loosing its leadership function leaving behind a vacuum. I still remember the 1990s when the US were the definetive leader and everyone would follow its trends. Now that is no longer so much being the case. Perhaps because of the massive internal crisis in the US and beyond.

Oh and lets not get into the more darker and sinister aspects of the American Empire...

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Nakena wrote:

:rofl:

Yes, in support of big business, taxing the rich, and telling the poor and middle classes to get fucked. Truly, America is the example the world should follow.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Nakena wrote:

Theres a lot of people here who would fundamentally disagree with you on that here.

Sundiata wrote:The problem is that many liberals don't see the forest for the trees. I used to think it was power that brought responsibility but in reality, it's the other way around. It's responsibility that brings great power. The United States will lead the world because the cause for which we stand is right and just. Likewise, the world follows where the United States leads.

The United States is only has such might because it is so right. And we must, in the words of President Lincoln, "dare to do our duty."

So a mantle of responsibility sort of? I see where you are coming from, but all I have been saying that this view has become somewhat increasingly rare.

The thing is this has been increasingly less the case in the past years and far less if anymore at all under Trump. The US is slowly loosing its leadership function leaving behind a vacuum. I still remember the 1990s when the US were the definetive leader and everyone would follow its trends. Now that is no longer so much being the case. Perhaps because of the massive internal crisis in the US and beyond.

Oh and lets not get into the more darker and sinister aspects of the American Empire...

The problem is that the status quo of about two hundred or so discordant nation-states is a really awful one, that should be done away with and soon.
I may return for somewhat longer than I was initially expecting. Why am I here? No idea whatsoever. I really ought to find some way out of this place.

Belagia
Lobbyist

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Belagia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Yes. A good empire in fact.

If anyone else hates it, they can go fuck off to hell.

Xuloqoia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Xuloqoia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:58 pm

New haven america wrote:

:rofl:

Yes, in support of big business, taxing the rich, and telling the poor and middle classes to get fucked. Truly, America is the example the world should follow.

And what would you prefer? Two hundred discordant nation-states? A world where the CCP runs things? No civilization at all, with a Hobbesian state of nature?

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Nakena wrote:

Right for the corporations, perhaps.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Xuloqoia wrote:
New haven america wrote: :rofl:

And what would you prefer? Two hundred discordant nation-states? A world where the CCP runs things? No civilization at all, with a Hobbesian state of nature?

Way to jump to conclusions my dude.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Nakena wrote:Theres a lot of people here who would fundamentally disagree with you on that here.
Oh well, America First. :)

Largely, the Trump Presidency has been an egregious tear upon the moral fibre of the United States. This trend is shameful and frankly, it's making our country weak as the man himself.

A three-time divorced draft-dodging coward.
Last edited by Sundiata on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Historically, through much of the 19th century and even early 20th century the United States was actually referred to as "The United States Empire" - the argument being that the 'United States' referred only to the original 13 colonies, and its expansion over the continent was its empire.

And if we look at some of the ways that an Empire is defined - did the United States overrun other nations and begin governing them centrally?

I would think that many of the Native Americans would say so, and there's an argument that French speaking people were maybe not conquered but incorporated into that Empire as a result of the Louisiana purchase, and there's the large tracts of land that the United States took from Mexico and then overran with white people in order to ensure American dominance.

Further abroad there's also the American colonisation of the Philippines (now independent again), Hawaii (somehow a state despite being in Polynesia, not America) and places like Guam and American Samoa.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General