NATION

PASSWORD

Is the United States an empire?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the US an empire?

Yes
56%
Unsure
7%
No
37%

Total votes : 119

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:18 pm

The Solar Accords wrote:
The Shrailleeni Empire wrote:
I think that handwaving the overseas territories as having not happened recently is a pretty big ask. These are still territories ruled over in an asymmetric relationship to the imperial center, with different rights and responsibilities than most Americans. The Constitution only partly applies to them. Additionally the tribal sovereignty of the recognized Native American nations have the status of "dependent sovereign nation" under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, making them (in the most generous terms) literally imperialized nations.

That is quite true, and I see now that I was, indeed, incorrect. Going back and viewing relevant and unbiased articles and documents on the history of the US, and by remembering my sophomore World History class, it is indeed fact that, yes, the US can be classed as an empire, due to the economic, territorial, and political manipulation, exploitation, invasion, and annexation of certain nations, peoples, or indigenous entities it has engaged in, and still practices to this day, even to its own citizens. It can be seen as either a successor to the British Empire (seeing as the US is, in technical terms, of British foundation, if you base the claim on the 13 colonies.), or as a new, potentially dangerous, nation that seeks to inject everything with its corrupted, decadent style of capitalism, that strays quite far from normal capitalism.

The U.S. is an empire in terms of how it structures its authority over nations that are not integrated into the imperial center. Whether or not that is a bad thing is open to debate, as the debates over the continued status of Puerto Rico aptly demonstrate. There continues to be a lot of debate also as to what the best status for the Native American nations subject to U.S. authority should be. As to capitalism that doesn't seem to be either here nor there, the British Empire was certainly capitalist as well.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:26 pm

We need a proper Imperial Army for our Empire.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Genivaria wrote:We need a proper Imperial Army for our Empire.

Like this one?

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Celritannia wrote:
The Shrailleeni Empire wrote:The British Overseas Territories are the last remnant of the British Empire that still exists. Some of them remain quite different demographically than any of the United Kingdom, and are ruled directly by the United Kingdom with varying degrees of local self-government. They include Anguilla, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Falklands, Montserrat, and the Pitcairn Islands, among a total of fourteen. So yes, the British Empire still exists, albeit in a much reduced state from its previous territory.

That's not technically true.
The UK Government neither owns them, not administers them. They have authority of Defence and Foreign relations, but are not held against their will by the UK government.
The Falklands and Gibraltar for example, are made of of 100% British citizens from the UK, and therefore cannot really be considered Imperial Territory.

An imperial territory doesn't have to be held against its will. I think there is a well-deserved idea that imperial territories are always subjugated and oppressed, but that isn't necessarily the case, especially in the present day after decades of reforms in administration among the imperial territories of Britain, France, the U.S., and others.

Each territory has sometimes wildly different self-government, Bermuda is essentially an informal commonwealth while the Pitcairn Islands for example remain ultimately under the legislative jurisdiction of the United Kingdom. They do all fall under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom by the way, which is the closest to owning them that I think you can get. And most of them fall under the authority of the Overseas Territories Directorate within the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

I think regardless of the specifics, its quite safe to say that the BOT form the last remnant of the British Empire in terms of both land held far from the metropole and unique jurisdiction. The inhabitants of the territories are almost all British Overseas Territory Citizens, although after 2002 most of them are now also British Citizens, even though many of them are not "from the UK" originally. Unlike Commonwealth nations they have no independent military or foreign relations, and some of them even have local government subject to UK oversight.
Ask Me Anything IC
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Celritannia wrote:
That's not technically true.
The UK Government neither owns them, not administers them. They have authority of Defence and Foreign relations, but are not held against their will by the UK government.
The Falklands and Gibraltar for example, are made of of 100% British citizens from the UK, and therefore cannot really be considered Imperial Territory.

An imperial territory doesn't have to be held against its will. I think there is a well-deserved idea that imperial territories are always subjugated and oppressed, but that isn't necessarily the case, especially in the present day after decades of reforms in administration among the imperial territories of Britain, France, the U.S., and others.

Each territory has sometimes wildly different self-government, Bermuda is essentially an informal commonwealth while the Pitcairn Islands for example remain ultimately under the legislative jurisdiction of the United Kingdom. They do all fall under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom by the way, which is the closest to owning them that I think you can get. And most of them fall under the authority of the Overseas Territories Directorate within the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

I think regardless of the specifics, its quite safe to say that the BOT form the last remnant of the British Empire in terms of both land held far from the metropole and unique jurisdiction. The inhabitants of the territories are almost all British Overseas Territory Citizens, although after 2002 most of them are now also British Citizens, even though many of them are not "from the UK" originally. Unlike Commonwealth nations they have no independent military or foreign relations, and some of them even have local government subject to UK oversight.

Yet I would not say the British Empire exists because of them.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Celritannia wrote:

"The End of Empire" certainly made for a very snazzy headline when Hong Kong was handed over, but I think the facts are pretty clear here. You can call it whatever you'd like, but the empire still exists.
Ask Me Anything IC

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Celritannia wrote:

Yet by any definition you could reasonably draw up of empire, the British Empire does still exist, precisely because of those territories's current status.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General