NATION

PASSWORD

Is the United States an empire?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the US an empire?

Yes
56%
Unsure
7%
No
37%

Total votes : 119

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Greed and Death wrote:No but it should be.

Yes, may the gospel spread with ease.
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:33 pm

The East Marches II wrote:
Senkaku wrote:oh joy

Anyways, if you can demonstrate that Britain in fact did not rule Northern Nigeria, I will be impressed (as will the people of Nigeria, I think :p )

I like you too much to subject you to pages of difficulties so soon after my return. I'll goose you later :^)

Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Forsher wrote:Let's say that the United States did not discriminate between its subjects based on geography... so there's one kind of citizenship and the Guamese (!?), Puerto Ricans, Alaskans, Hawaiians and continental Americans all have it. In that case, the US would not be an empire. However, this is not the case. Therefore, the asymmetry Empire requires exists and therefore the US is an empire,

The actual 50 states themselves only enjoy de jure political equality anyways. The US is ruled by its metropole, which is the population concentration from Boston to Washington DC, with outposts in places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

Also, the US practices internal colonization with the various disparate nations that inhabit it.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Macau
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Macau » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:23 pm

The New California Republic wrote:Superpower is a better label, if we really want to assign labels.

A nation can't be both?
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

The JELLEAIN Republic
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The JELLEAIN Republic » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 am

Sundiata wrote:
The JELLEAIN Republic wrote:Perhaps it would be most effective of everyone could agree on a singular definition of empire. How about buy looking at what we know are empires and seeing what makes them so. Like England.

Edit. Just realized that the conversation is a lot different from the first page

I'm of the belief that the United States is an empire in the sense that it has scientific, cultural, economic, and military dominion over most of the world.

It should also maintain this advantageous position to rectify the world order.

Wouldn’t superpower better fit that description? I isint empire reserved more based on a relative “vastness” mostly in the scence of territory (that isint regarded as core), and “riches” and associated with ancient times and mass delegation of power ? Like babylon, Rome, or Mali ?
Last edited by The JELLEAIN Republic on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
May the autocorrect be with you...
Cannot think of a name wrote:It's a narrative, and narratives don't require masterminds or persian cats.
Male. Lives in USA. Quotes
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Same here. I wash my hands religiously to keep the medical debt away.

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:18 am

It is a superpower, but to call it an empire is wrong. Sure, you could call the USSR an Empire with their Warsaw Pact puppets, but NATO members are full-fledged sovereign nations, not satellites.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 am

Well we are everywhere

The real question is should we be an empire? I personally think we should not
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 am

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:It is a superpower, but to call it an empire is wrong. Sure, you could call the USSR an Empire with their Warsaw Pact puppets, but NATO members are full-fledged sovereign nations, not satellites.

We have guam, Puerto rico, the virgin islands and a few other Pacific islands, and I would say Iraq and Afghanistan under us were anything but sovereign as well
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:25 am

Sundiata wrote:
The JELLEAIN Republic wrote:Perhaps it would be most effective of everyone could agree on a singular definition of empire. How about buy looking at what we know are empires and seeing what makes them so. Like England.

Edit. Just realized that the conversation is a lot different from the first page

I'm of the belief that the United States is an empire in the sense that it has scientific, cultural, economic, and military dominion over most of the world.

It should also maintain this advantageous position to rectify the world order.

America has created so much chaos and death in the last seventy years. The only world order under American war hawks is disorder

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am

There are never going to again be empires resembling the Romans, the Persians, the British. American hegemony doesn't concern itself with raising the stars and stripes over foreign soil.

America is the successor to the empires of the past in the same way corporations are the successor to land-owning nobility.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Ayissor
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayissor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 am

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:It is a superpower, but to call it an empire is wrong. Sure, you could call the USSR an Empire with their Warsaw Pact puppets, but NATO members are full-fledged sovereign nations, not satellites.

Except for South American dictatorships that have been sponsored, funded and overseen by the U.S in the name of containing the other empire.
weird how you neglect that, also, I would not call European NATO members at the time "Sovereign", they weren't really, they were initially very reliant on the U.S for financial aid and military protection, especially Germany.

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:36 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
New haven america wrote:Considering the most basic definition of an Empire is a multiethnic groups of states or countries under a single authority, yes.

Same thing goes for most of the countries in The New World.

Russia, China, Indonesia, India, and Philippines are all empires tbf

Yes, and so is the United States of America. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 am

Atheris wrote:
Empire of Ur wrote:Yes. I say any imperialist nation is a Empire if large and diverse enough.

But imperialism itself is not empire. The US may be imperialist, but that doesn't mean it's an empire; like how all oranges are fruit but not all fruit are oranges, empire is imperialist, but imperialism isn't empire. If imperialism alone is empire, then the USSR was an empire, the PRC is an empire, Indonesia was an empire after it annexed East Timor, and the British Empire still exists.

No it doesn't.
The 1997 hand over of Hong Kong was the final end to the British Empire.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Forsher wrote:Let's say that the United States did not discriminate between its subjects based on geography... so there's one kind of citizenship and the Guamese (!?), Puerto Ricans, Alaskans, Hawaiians and continental Americans all have it. In that case, the US would not be an empire. However, this is not the case. Therefore, the asymmetry Empire requires exists and therefore the US is an empire,

The actual 50 states themselves only enjoy de jure political equality anyways. The US is ruled by its metropole, which is the population concentration from Boston to Washington DC, with outposts in places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles.

Also, the US practices internal colonization with the various disparate nations that inhabit it.

Which proves America is an Empire.

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 am

Atheris wrote:The matter at hand is simple: many people have claimed that the United States of America is an empire, and many have not.

The word "empire" has many definitions, however I feel like Brain4Breakfast's in "What the Gulf? - Nation Building" is the best;

An empire is a group of distinct people, called nations, all ruled over by one, in an asymmetric relationship.

However, there are other definitions of empire, which are different from B4B's definition in other dictionaries and by other creators, notably Wikipedia's who says nothing about nations but about ethnic groups:

An empire is a multi-ethnic or multinational state with political and/or military dominion of populations who are culturally and ethnically distinct from the imperial (ruling) ethnic group and its culture.

With these different definitions of empires and definitions of empire itself, this begs the eternal question: is the United States of America an empire?

Personally, I don't think the US is an empire. It may be imperialist, but that doesn't make it an empire; an empire needs a figurehead or a powerful, sovereign leader (especially a monarch) that can be seen as an embodiment of the state in my opinion. The US President doesn't fit that role; he's certainly not as powerful as an emperor and he's not a figurehead like Hitler or Caesar.

What are your opinions, NSG?

Yes, it is, by both of those definitions. Ask Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa. As an edited thought, you might also ask the nations of the various designated Reservations. An empire does not need to be autocratic, ask the French.
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
أدرس اللغة العربية وهي لغة جميلة
Mother of One, Mother of All
Ask Me Anything IC
Come to the Mother's Embrace
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

Nea Byzantia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nea Byzantia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am

Celritannia wrote:
Atheris wrote:But imperialism itself is not empire. The US may be imperialist, but that doesn't mean it's an empire; like how all oranges are fruit but not all fruit are oranges, empire is imperialist, but imperialism isn't empire. If imperialism alone is empire, then the USSR was an empire, the PRC is an empire, Indonesia was an empire after it annexed East Timor, and the British Empire still exists.

No it doesn't.

No it wasn't. The United Kingdom still rules Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland from London. So the Empire is not quite dead, just yet. Definitely weakened...Definitely in mortal decline...but not dead. Not yet.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:38 am

Sundiata wrote:Yes, the United States is an empire that has a moral obligation to expand its influence globally.

The United States should promote a unipolar world order where it alone holds cultural, diplomatic, militaristic, and economic hegemony over all countries. The ideal: one currency, one government, one planet. Therefore, it is not just an obligation that we surpass China and Russia, but a definitive ethic.

I am in favor of "nation-building."

I hate the Wilson Doctrine.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 am

Sundiata wrote:
Pacomia wrote:That does not sound like a good idea.

Democracy is important. So is local representation.

No, it's a good idea.

France and Norway aren't federations, they're unitary states. They're also democracies.

The U.S should follow suit.

Germany is a Federation and is democratic, as is Belgium, Canada, Australia, Austria, Switzerland (although more of a Confederation).

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:56 am

Nea Byzantia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
No it doesn't.

No it wasn't. The United Kingdom still rules Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland from London. So the Empire is not quite dead, just yet. Definitely weakened...Definitely in mortal decline...but not dead. Not yet.

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the full title of it being The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
So no. Try again.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Nea Byzantia wrote:No it wasn't. The United Kingdom still rules Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland from London. So the Empire is not quite dead, just yet. Definitely weakened...Definitely in mortal decline...but not dead. Not yet.

The United Kingdom is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the full title of it being The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
So no. Try again.

The British Overseas Territories are the last remnant of the British Empire that still exists. Some of them remain quite different demographically than any of the United Kingdom, and are ruled directly by the United Kingdom with varying degrees of local self-government. They include Anguilla, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Falklands, Montserrat, and the Pitcairn Islands, among a total of fourteen. So yes, the British Empire still exists, albeit in a much reduced state from its previous territory.
Last edited by The Shrailleeni Empire on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ask Me Anything IC
New Edom wrote:Elizabeth Salt remarked, "It's amazing, isn't it, you rarely see modern troops that wear their 19th century uniforms and gear so well--they must drill all the time. Is this a guards outfit?"

Sif said to her, "This is a modern Shrailleeni Empire military parade. Like as in this is what they wear, this is what they use. This is it."

The Solar Accords
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Accords » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:27 pm

The US, put simply, isn't an empire, at least, not in the traditional sense and definition of the word. It is more considerably a 'Global Hegemon', if one considers the military spending and rate of expansion of the US Armed Forces. It projects power globally, but holds no territory that was gained via imperialistic means (recently anyway, Puerto Rico and Guam were seized by the US after the Spanish-American War). Also, if one takes a look at just how widespread US Armed Forces bases are, one can considerably affirm the previous point, however it should be noted that most, if not all, were either established or set up for reasons besides providing residence for the Armed Forces of the US.

If anyone has any further info on my little spiel, or has something to counter/correct anything I have said, you are welcome to quote me, and edit it to remove the typo/incorrect information.
"Ex cinere ut resurgemus, usque in sempiternum consiliis."
Tech Level: FT
Current Year: 2551
NS Stats are NOT used. Use the factbooks for Canon info.
Puppet of (Under Observance by a Friend)Notovasian Tsardom

The Shrailleeni Empire
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Shrailleeni Empire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm

The Solar Accords wrote:The US, put simply, isn't an empire, at least, not in the traditional sense and definition of the word. It is more considerably a 'Global Hegemon', if one considers the military spending and rate of expansion of the US Armed Forces. It projects power globally, but holds no territory that was gained via imperialistic means (recently anyway, Puerto Rico and Guam were seized by the US after the Spanish-American War). Also, if one takes a look at just how widespread US Armed Forces bases are, one can considerably affirm the previous point, however it should be noted that most, if not all, were either established or set up for reasons besides providing residence for the Armed Forces of the US.

If anyone has any further info on my little spiel, or has something to counter/correct anything I have said, you are welcome to quote me, and edit it to remove the typo/incorrect information.

I think that handwaving the overseas territories as having not happened recently is a pretty big ask. These are still territories ruled over in an asymmetric relationship to the imperial center, with different rights and responsibilities than most Americans. The Constitution only partly applies to them. Additionally the tribal sovereignty of the recognized Native American nations have the status of "dependent sovereign nation" under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, making them (in the most generous terms) literally imperialized nations.
Ask Me Anything IC

Annihilators of Chan Island
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Annihilators of Chan Island » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes.
This nation is modeled on being my absolute worst dystopia imaginable. In no way do the Annihilators reflect my opinions, in fact I am totally against almost every single policy they enact.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

I honestly really like to write issues.

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

The Solar Accords
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Accords » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:08 pm

The Shrailleeni Empire wrote:
The Solar Accords wrote:The US, put simply, isn't an empire, at least, not in the traditional sense and definition of the word. It is more considerably a 'Global Hegemon', if one considers the military spending and rate of expansion of the US Armed Forces. It projects power globally, but holds no territory that was gained via imperialistic means (recently anyway, Puerto Rico and Guam were seized by the US after the Spanish-American War). Also, if one takes a look at just how widespread US Armed Forces bases are, one can considerably affirm the previous point, however it should be noted that most, if not all, were either established or set up for reasons besides providing residence for the Armed Forces of the US.

I think that handwaving the overseas territories as having not happened recently is a pretty big ask. These are still territories ruled over in an asymmetric relationship to the imperial center, with different rights and responsibilities than most Americans. The Constitution only partly applies to them. Additionally the tribal sovereignty of the recognized Native American nations have the status of "dependent sovereign nation" under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, making them (in the most generous terms) literally imperialized nations.

That is quite true, and I see now that I was, indeed, incorrect. Going back and viewing relevant and unbiased articles and documents on the history of the US, and by remembering my sophomore World History class, it is indeed fact that, yes, the US can be classed as an empire, due to the economic, territorial, and political manipulation, exploitation, invasion, and annexation of certain nations, peoples, or indigenous entities it has engaged in, and still practices to this day, even to its own citizens. It can be seen as either a successor to the British Empire (seeing as the US is, in technical terms, of British foundation, if you base the claim on the 13 colonies.), or as a new, potentially dangerous, nation that seeks to inject everything with its corrupted, decadent style of capitalism, that strays quite far from normal capitalism.
"Ex cinere ut resurgemus, usque in sempiternum consiliis."
Tech Level: FT
Current Year: 2551
NS Stats are NOT used. Use the factbooks for Canon info.
Puppet of (Under Observance by a Friend)Notovasian Tsardom

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:09 pm

The Shrailleeni Empire wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
So no. Try again.

The British Overseas Territories are the last remnant of the British Empire that still exists. Some of them remain quite different demographically than any of the United Kingdom, and are ruled directly by the United Kingdom with varying degrees of local self-government. They include Anguilla, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Falklands, Montserrat, and the Pitcairn Islands, among a total of fourteen. So yes, the British Empire still exists, albeit in a much reduced state from its previous territory.

That's not technically true.
The UK Government neither owns them, not administers them. They have authority of Defence and Foreign relations, but are not held against their will by the UK government.
The Falklands and Gibraltar for example, are made of of 100% British citizens from the UK, and therefore cannot really be considered Imperial Territory.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General