NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XVII: All Things NOT Impeachment

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which would be your favored candidate for the 2020 Republican Party presidential nomination?

Donald Trump
47
27%
Rocky De La Fuente
5
3%
Joe Walsh
4
2%
Bill Weld
23
13%
Bob Ely
0
No votes
Zoltan Istvan
6
3%
None of the above/other
30
17%
David Hasselhoff
58
34%
 
Total votes : 173

User avatar
Nakena
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8061
Founded: May 06, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Nakena » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 pm

CAIR has some shady connections:

Critics of CAIR have accused it of having ties to the Palestinian Sunni-Islamic fundamentalist organization Hamas.[7] Federal judge Jorge A. Solis said that there was evidence to show that CAIR has an association with the Holy Land Foundation, Islamic Association for Palestine, and Hamas. However, Judge Solis acknowledged that this evidence predates the official designation of these groups as terrorist organizations. On appeal, Judge Solis was rebuked for making these comments and for not paying enough attention to CAIR's rights under the Fifth Amendment.[127] CAIR acknowledges that cofounder Nihad Awad declared support for Hamas in 1994, before it was designated a Specially Designated Terrorist by the United States in January 1995,[128][129] a legal category established at that time.[130] Since then CAIR has denounced violence by Hamas, and in 2006 Nihad Awad said, "I don't support Hamas today ... we condemn suicide bombings."[128]

Six Republican members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate[131][132][133] have alleged ties between the CAIR founders and Hamas. Both cofounder Omar Ahmad and Awad were involved previously with the Islamic Association of Palestine (IAP),[134][135] a group described by the FBI, in 1993, as "intimately tied to the most senior Hamas leadership.",[136] and participated in a meeting held in Philadelphia on October 3, 1993, with Hamas sympathizers and officials of the Holy Land Foundation (which was designated in 1995 by Executive Order[citation needed] and later designated in a 2008 court case, as an organization that had raised millions of dollars for Hamas).[137][138] Based on electronic surveillance of the meeting, the FBI reported that "these participants took great pains to disguise their association with Hamas...referring to it simply as 'The Movement'."[139][140]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_o ... ions#Hamas
Last edited by Nakena on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
【Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate extraordinaire】
【Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required】
₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴

User avatar
Fahran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8314
Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Fahran » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Reports on social media that Iranians, regardless of citizenship status, are being detained at length and questioned intensively at US border crossings and ports of entry. Dozens of Iranian-Americans were reportedly detained at the US/Canada border as they returned from an Iranian pop concert in Vancouver. This is CBP allegedly acting in accordance with an order from DHS.

its not likely true I work for DHS and never heard jack it could also be people trying to spread fear and distrust among the CBP and try to get the people turning against them.

A few Iranians seem to have posted that they have in fact been detained and asked their opinion of the situation in Iran and Iraq.
Hi. I'm Fahran. I'm aggressively Jewish and rep that premed srat life.
Diopolis wrote:*mutters to self* hope not hoppe. Hope not hoppe.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49068
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Nakena wrote:CAIR has some shady connections:

Critics of CAIR have accused it of having ties to the Palestinian Sunni-Islamic fundamentalist organization Hamas.[7] Federal judge Jorge A. Solis said that there was evidence to show that CAIR has an association with the Holy Land Foundation, Islamic Association for Palestine, and Hamas. However, Judge Solis acknowledged that this evidence predates the official designation of these groups as terrorist organizations. On appeal, Judge Solis was rebuked for making these comments and for not paying enough attention to CAIR's rights under the Fifth Amendment.[127] CAIR acknowledges that cofounder Nihad Awad declared support for Hamas in 1994, before it was designated a Specially Designated Terrorist by the United States in January 1995,[128][129] a legal category established at that time.[130] Since then CAIR has denounced violence by Hamas, and in 2006 Nihad Awad said, "I don't support Hamas today ... we condemn suicide bombings."[128]

Six Republican members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate[131][132][133] have alleged ties between the CAIR founders and Hamas. Both cofounder Omar Ahmad and Awad were involved previously with the Islamic Association of Palestine (IAP),[134][135] a group described by the FBI, in 1993, as "intimately tied to the most senior Hamas leadership.",[136] and participated in a meeting held in Philadelphia on October 3, 1993, with Hamas sympathizers and officials of the Holy Land Foundation (which was designated in 1995 by Executive Order[citation needed] and later designated in a 2008 court case, as an organization that had raised millions of dollars for Hamas).[137][138] Based on electronic surveillance of the meeting, the FBI reported that "these participants took great pains to disguise their association with Hamas...referring to it simply as 'The Movement'."[139][140]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_o ... ions#Hamas


So do you have actual counter-evidence to the happening or are you just going to keep leaning on the Genetic Fallacy?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Gormwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9885
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Every Iranian American is suddenly a spy for the Supreme Council. Shouldn't be long before we hear an IA got assaulted or even murdered.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Nakena
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8061
Founded: May 06, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Nakena » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Vassenor wrote:So do you have actual counter-evidence to the happening or are you just going to keep leaning on the Genetic Fallacy?


No but I'd rather look for better sauce.

Gormwood wrote:Every Iranian American is suddenly a spy for the Supreme Council. Shouldn't be long before we hear an IA got assaulted or even murdered.


Stop killing strawmans.
【Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate extraordinaire】
【Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required】
₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴

User avatar
Nakena
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8061
Founded: May 06, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Nakena » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Also if I were american iranian I wouldn want to be even remotely associated with such an group as CAIR.
Last edited by Nakena on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
【Your friendly neighbourhood barista and genderqueer degenerate extraordinaire】
【Female or they/them pronoun preferred but not required】
₴Ø₦₳₭ Ø₴

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 136820
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Nakena wrote:CAIR has some shady connections:

Critics of CAIR have accused it of having ties to the Palestinian Sunni-Islamic fundamentalist organization Hamas.[7] Federal judge Jorge A. Solis said that there was evidence to show that CAIR has an association with the Holy Land Foundation, Islamic Association for Palestine, and Hamas. However, Judge Solis acknowledged that this evidence predates the official designation of these groups as terrorist organizations. On appeal, Judge Solis was rebuked for making these comments and for not paying enough attention to CAIR's rights under the Fifth Amendment.[127] CAIR acknowledges that cofounder Nihad Awad declared support for Hamas in 1994, before it was designated a Specially Designated Terrorist by the United States in January 1995,[128][129] a legal category established at that time.[130] Since then CAIR has denounced violence by Hamas, and in 2006 Nihad Awad said, "I don't support Hamas today ... we condemn suicide bombings."[128]

Six Republican members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate[131][132][133] have alleged ties between the CAIR founders and Hamas. Both cofounder Omar Ahmad and Awad were involved previously with the Islamic Association of Palestine (IAP),[134][135] a group described by the FBI, in 1993, as "intimately tied to the most senior Hamas leadership.",[136] and participated in a meeting held in Philadelphia on October 3, 1993, with Hamas sympathizers and officials of the Holy Land Foundation (which was designated in 1995 by Executive Order[citation needed] and later designated in a 2008 court case, as an organization that had raised millions of dollars for Hamas).[137][138] Based on electronic surveillance of the meeting, the FBI reported that "these participants took great pains to disguise their association with Hamas...referring to it simply as 'The Movement'."[139][140]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_o ... ions#Hamas

Alleged links to Hamas, therefore...what? They're making this up? Is it remotely implausible that Donald Trump's administration might order that Iranians seeking to enter the country be detained?
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Gormwood
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9885
Founded: Mar 25, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Nakena wrote:CAIR has some shady connections:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_o ... ions#Hamas

Alleged links to Hamas, therefore...what? They're making this up? Is it remotely implausible that Donald Trump's administration might order that Iranians seeking to enter the country be detained?

Trump ordering members of the House of Saud detained? That would be implausible.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 55029
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:27 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:You can’t use STV for a single office.

You can if you employ multiple rounds.

So IRV?
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 136820
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Alleged links to Hamas, therefore...what? They're making this up? Is it remotely implausible that Donald Trump's administration might order that Iranians seeking to enter the country be detained?

Trump ordering members of the House of Saud detained? That would be implausible.

The Muslim ban has an exception for Jared's friends.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Nobel Hobos 2
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1803
Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Aclion wrote: STV is a thing

You can’t use STV for a single office.


Strictly speaking, no. "Instant runoff" is quite similar, except your vote is moved to your second choice (etc) if the first count has your preferred candidate eliminated. With STV it's moved when your first choice is elected (obviously wouldn't work for a single office).

The reason I was lukewarm on it, for the Presidency, is that every other level of government is mired in two-party politics and I can't imagine someone like Perot getting elected even with transferrable votes. It would be good still, but not worth the constitutional amendment.
Also, AiliAiliA.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49068
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:25 pm

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 136820
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 62781
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Galloism wrote:Um, making better weapons is an innate, inherit, and direct byproduct of human sentience - of which guns are a part.

Much like posting on the internet is an innate, inherit, and direct byproduct of human sentience which created language, and technology that allowed us to throw it much further.


And you don't have the right to access the internet, do we?

You have a right to free speech on the internet.

As SCOTUS said in Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, referring to the district court's position:

He construed our cases as requiring a "medium-specific" approach to the analysis of the regulation of mass communication, id., at 873, and concluded that the Internet-as "the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed," id., at 883-is entitled to "the highest protection from governmental intrusion," ibid.30

..

Finally, unlike the conditions that prevailed when Congress first authorized regulation of the broadcast spectrum, the Internet can hardly be considered a "scarce" expressive commodity. It provides relatively unlimited, low-cost capacity for communication of all kinds. The Government estimates that "[a]s many as 40 million people use the Internet today, and that figure is expected to grow to 200 million by 1999."34 This dynamic, multifaceted category of communication includes not only traditional print and news services, but also audio, video, and still images, as well as interactive, real-time dialogue. Through the use of chat rooms, any person with a phone line can become a town crier with a voice that resonates farther than it could from any soapbox. Through the use of Web pages, mail exploders, and newsgroups, the same individual can become a pamphleteer. As the District Court found, "the content on the Internet is as diverse as human thought." 929 F. Supp., at 842 (finding 74). We agree with its conclusion that our cases provide no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to this medium.

...

The Government also asserts that the "knowledge" requirement of both §§ 223(a) and (d), especially when coupled with the "specific child" element found in § 223(d), saves the CDA from overbreadth. Because both sections prohibit the dissemination of indecent messages only to persons known to be under 18, the Government argues, it does not require transmitters to "refrain from communicating indecent material to adults; they need only refrain from disseminating such materials to persons they know to be under 18." Brief for Appellants 24. This argument ignores the fact that most Internet forums-including chat rooms, newsgroups, mail exploders, and the Web-are open to all comers. The Government's assertion that the knowledge requirement somehow protects the communications of adults is therefore untenable. Even the strongest reading of the "specific person" requirement of § 223(d) cannot save the statute. It would confer broad powers of censorship, in the form of a "heckler's veto," upon any opponent of indecent speech who might simply log on and inform the would-be discoursers that his 17-year-old child-a "specific person ... under 18 years of age," 47 U. S. C. §223(d)(1)(A) (1994 ed., Supp. H)-would be present.


Here's the internet, a thing that amplifies and sends your voice further than you could ever hurl it yourself, receives the highest form of protection - despite being an artificial construct

And, the UN along with several countries have argued it is a right or a necessity:

2016: UN Resolution
In Summer of 2016, the United Nations Human Rights Council released a non-binding resolution condemning intentional disruption of internet access by governments.[11] The resolution reaffirmed that "the same rights people have offline must also be protected online".[11] Recent practice of the UN treaty-based bodies indicates growing interest in ensuring access to the Internet. In addition, Internet-related recommendations formulated under the Universal Periodic Review mechanism are as numerous as those related to the right to food and the right to water – both of which are well-established human rights.[12]

Ensuring that access is broadly available and preventing unreasonable restrictions
Several countries have adopted laws that require the state to work to ensure that Internet access is broadly available or preventing the state from unreasonably restricting an individual's access to information and the Internet:

Costa Rica: A 30 July 2010 ruling by the Supreme Court of Costa Rica stated: "Without fear of equivocation, it can be said that these technologies [information technology and communication] have impacted the way humans communicate, facilitating the connection between people and institutions worldwide and eliminating barriers of space and time. At this time, access to these technologies becomes a basic tool to facilitate the exercise of fundamental rights and democratic participation (e-democracy) and citizen control, education, freedom of thought and expression, access to information and public services online, the right to communicate with government electronically and administrative transparency, among others. This includes the fundamental right of access to these technologies, in particular, the right of access to the Internet or World Wide Web."[13]
Estonia: In 2000, the parliament launched a massive program to expand access to the countryside. The Internet, the government argues, is essential for life in the 21st century.[14]
Finland: By July 2010, every person in Finland was to have access to a one-megabit per second broadband connection, according to the Ministry of Transport and Communications, and by 2015, access to a 100 Mbit/s connection.[15]
France: In June 2009, the Constitutional Council, France's highest court, declared access to the Internet to be a basic human right in a strongly-worded decision that struck down portions of the HADOPI law, a law that would have tracked abusers and without judicial review automatically cut off network access to those who continued to download illicit material after two warnings[16]
Greece: Article 5A of the Constitution of Greece states that all persons have a right to participate in the Information Society and that the state has an obligation to facilitate the production, exchange, diffusion, and access to electronically transmitted information.[17]
India: In September 2019, Kerala High Court held that the right to have access to the internet is part of the fundamental Right to Education as well as the Right to Privacy under Article 21 of the Constitution.[18]
Spain: Starting in 2011, Telefónica, the former state monopoly that holds the country's "universal service" contract, has to guarantee to offer "reasonably" priced broadband of at least one megabit per second throughout Spain.[19][20]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_ ... Resolution

Guns take something we can do naturally - hurl projectiles - and do so more efficiently. It's not unlike how the internet allows us to hurl our voice or our writings across the world more effectively.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Gig em Aggies
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7012
Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Fahran wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:its not likely true I work for DHS and never heard jack it could also be people trying to spread fear and distrust among the CBP and try to get the people turning against them.

A few Iranians seem to have posted that they have in fact been detained and asked their opinion of the situation in Iran and Iraq.

there's most likely more then meets the eye then just being an Iranian American.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 136820
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Fahran wrote:A few Iranians seem to have posted that they have in fact been detained and asked their opinion of the situation in Iran and Iraq.

there's most likely more then meets the eye then just being an Iranian American.

Very suspicious people going to a concert in Canada.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States
P2TM RP Mentor
 
Posts: 18119
Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Galloism wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
And you don't have the right to access the internet, do we?

You have a right to free speech on the internet.

As SCOTUS said in Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, referring to the district court's position:

He construed our cases as requiring a "medium-specific" approach to the analysis of the regulation of mass communication, id., at 873, and concluded that the Internet-as "the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed," id., at 883-is entitled to "the highest protection from governmental intrusion," ibid.30

..

Finally, unlike the conditions that prevailed when Congress first authorized regulation of the broadcast spectrum, the Internet can hardly be considered a "scarce" expressive commodity. It provides relatively unlimited, low-cost capacity for communication of all kinds. The Government estimates that "[a]s many as 40 million people use the Internet today, and that figure is expected to grow to 200 million by 1999."34 This dynamic, multifaceted category of communication includes not only traditional print and news services, but also audio, video, and still images, as well as interactive, real-time dialogue. Through the use of chat rooms, any person with a phone line can become a town crier with a voice that resonates farther than it could from any soapbox. Through the use of Web pages, mail exploders, and newsgroups, the same individual can become a pamphleteer. As the District Court found, "the content on the Internet is as diverse as human thought." 929 F. Supp., at 842 (finding 74). We agree with its conclusion that our cases provide no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to this medium.

...

The Government also asserts that the "knowledge" requirement of both §§ 223(a) and (d), especially when coupled with the "specific child" element found in § 223(d), saves the CDA from overbreadth. Because both sections prohibit the dissemination of indecent messages only to persons known to be under 18, the Government argues, it does not require transmitters to "refrain from communicating indecent material to adults; they need only refrain from disseminating such materials to persons they know to be under 18." Brief for Appellants 24. This argument ignores the fact that most Internet forums-including chat rooms, newsgroups, mail exploders, and the Web-are open to all comers. The Government's assertion that the knowledge requirement somehow protects the communications of adults is therefore untenable. Even the strongest reading of the "specific person" requirement of § 223(d) cannot save the statute. It would confer broad powers of censorship, in the form of a "heckler's veto," upon any opponent of indecent speech who might simply log on and inform the would-be discoursers that his 17-year-old child-a "specific person ... under 18 years of age," 47 U. S. C. §223(d)(1)(A) (1994 ed., Supp. H)-would be present.


Here's the internet, a thing that amplifies and sends your voice further than you could ever hurl it yourself, receives the highest form of protection - despite being an artificial construct

And, the UN along with several countries have argued it is a right or a necessity:

2016: UN Resolution
In Summer of 2016, the United Nations Human Rights Council released a non-binding resolution condemning intentional disruption of internet access by governments.[11] The resolution reaffirmed that "the same rights people have offline must also be protected online".[11] Recent practice of the UN treaty-based bodies indicates growing interest in ensuring access to the Internet. In addition, Internet-related recommendations formulated under the Universal Periodic Review mechanism are as numerous as those related to the right to food and the right to water – both of which are well-established human rights.[12]

Ensuring that access is broadly available and preventing unreasonable restrictions
Several countries have adopted laws that require the state to work to ensure that Internet access is broadly available or preventing the state from unreasonably restricting an individual's access to information and the Internet:

Costa Rica: A 30 July 2010 ruling by the Supreme Court of Costa Rica stated: "Without fear of equivocation, it can be said that these technologies [information technology and communication] have impacted the way humans communicate, facilitating the connection between people and institutions worldwide and eliminating barriers of space and time. At this time, access to these technologies becomes a basic tool to facilitate the exercise of fundamental rights and democratic participation (e-democracy) and citizen control, education, freedom of thought and expression, access to information and public services online, the right to communicate with government electronically and administrative transparency, among others. This includes the fundamental right of access to these technologies, in particular, the right of access to the Internet or World Wide Web."[13]
Estonia: In 2000, the parliament launched a massive program to expand access to the countryside. The Internet, the government argues, is essential for life in the 21st century.[14]
Finland: By July 2010, every person in Finland was to have access to a one-megabit per second broadband connection, according to the Ministry of Transport and Communications, and by 2015, access to a 100 Mbit/s connection.[15]
France: In June 2009, the Constitutional Council, France's highest court, declared access to the Internet to be a basic human right in a strongly-worded decision that struck down portions of the HADOPI law, a law that would have tracked abusers and without judicial review automatically cut off network access to those who continued to download illicit material after two warnings[16]
Greece: Article 5A of the Constitution of Greece states that all persons have a right to participate in the Information Society and that the state has an obligation to facilitate the production, exchange, diffusion, and access to electronically transmitted information.[17]
India: In September 2019, Kerala High Court held that the right to have access to the internet is part of the fundamental Right to Education as well as the Right to Privacy under Article 21 of the Constitution.[18]
Spain: Starting in 2011, Telefónica, the former state monopoly that holds the country's "universal service" contract, has to guarantee to offer "reasonably" priced broadband of at least one megabit per second throughout Spain.[19][20]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_ ... Resolution

Guns take something we can do naturally - hurl projectiles - and do so more efficiently. It's not unlike how the internet allows us to hurl our voice or our writings across the world more effectively.

But quote me the international human rights document that says guns are a right.

You cannot equate internet acces to guns, because speech, unlike ‘hurling things’, is an accepted and important human right. Speech, unlike hurling things, is fundamental to democracy and to the protection of other rights.

We have been clubbing each other to death for half a million years and yet killing is not a human right.
The name's James. James Usari. Well, my name is not actually James Usari, so don't bother actually looking it up, but it'll do for now.

Lack of a real name means compensation through a real face. My debt is settled


Part-time Kebab tycoon in Glasgow.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 62781
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:But quote me the international human rights document that says guns are a right.

You cannot equate internet acces to guns, because speech, unlike ‘hurling things’, is an accepted and important human right. Speech, unlike hurling things, is fundamental to democracy and to the protection of other rights.

We have been clubbing each other to death for half a million years and yet killing is not a human right.

Weapons are - and have been at least as long as speech, and arguably longer (the greeks pioneered the whole free speech thing in the 5th or 6th century, when the germanic tribes were establishing the right to armaments about the same time - free speech wouldn't come to northern europe until much later).

The right to bear arms as a right even predates England, going back to the Germanic tribes that eventually invaded migrated to England and established what we understand as England to be. They even had a custom that when a slave became a free man, the community was required to provide him a weapon, as it was his right to be armed.

And with that right, came a duty, to defend his community.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Vassenor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49068
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:
Galloism wrote:You have a right to free speech on the internet.

As SCOTUS said in Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, referring to the district court's position:



Here's the internet, a thing that amplifies and sends your voice further than you could ever hurl it yourself, receives the highest form of protection - despite being an artificial construct

And, the UN along with several countries have argued it is a right or a necessity:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_ ... Resolution

Guns take something we can do naturally - hurl projectiles - and do so more efficiently. It's not unlike how the internet allows us to hurl our voice or our writings across the world more effectively.

But quote me the international human rights document that says guns are a right.

You cannot equate internet acces to guns, because speech, unlike ‘hurling things’, is an accepted and important human right. Speech, unlike hurling things, is fundamental to democracy and to the protection of other rights.

We have been clubbing each other to death for half a million years and yet killing is not a human right.


And in fact not being killed is a human right.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Hufflepuff/Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 62781
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States wrote:But quote me the international human rights document that says guns are a right.

You cannot equate internet acces to guns, because speech, unlike ‘hurling things’, is an accepted and important human right. Speech, unlike hurling things, is fundamental to democracy and to the protection of other rights.

We have been clubbing each other to death for half a million years and yet killing is not a human right.


And in fact not being killed is a human right.

Hence why weapons are a human right.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34862
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20 pm

Galloism wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And in fact not being killed is a human right.

Hence why weapons are a human right.


Your argument is actually a bit compelling.
Strong opinions, lightly held.

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 62781
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Galloism wrote:Hence why weapons are a human right.


Your argument is actually a bit compelling.

It's kind of important stuff.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34862
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Your argument is actually a bit compelling.

It's kind of important stuff.


Eh. The need to defend the community kinda disappeared when standing armies and police forces became a thing.

But I'm kinda coming around to support having weapons under the right to education.
Strong opinions, lightly held.

User avatar
Loben The 2nd
Minister
 
Posts: 3230
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Corporate Bordello

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:26 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Your argument is actually a bit compelling.

It's kind of important stuff.


very.

kinda why its the 2nd amendment.
Eternal Lotharia wrote:You prioritize hatred of ideology over human rights. Fucking disgusting of you.

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:Loben is a low tier poster who hardly represents Americans. He is pretty much an edgelord.

Satisfaction guaranteed.

User avatar
Nobel Hobos 2
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1803
Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Galloism wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Your argument is actually a bit compelling.

It's kind of important stuff.


Only in America.
Pretty much anywhere else your easy access to guns and your appalling murder rate look inseparable, and quite unattractive.

I could defend myself with a weapon but I'm much rather not have to!
Also, AiliAiliA.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arlenton, Aureumterra, Ghost Land, Heloin, Ifreann, Interes, Kruiven, LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Nanatsu no Tsuki, Nobel Hobos 2, Ostroeuropa, Penguin Union Nation, Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana, Shrillland, Somehow Related to Rarity, The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp, The East Marches II, The Emerald Legion, Thermodolia, Window Land

Advertisement

Remove ads