NATION

PASSWORD

UK teen convicted of sex crime for touching classmate on arm

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

UK teen convicted of sex crime for touching classmate on arm

Postby New Bremerton » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm

So this happened in the UK.

Manchester Teen Faces Sex Offender Status for Touching 17-Year-Old on the Arm, Waist
"Touching someone's arm to get their attention, I would have thought was normal."
LENORE SKENAZY | 10.11.2019 12:09 PM

Harassment
(Tinnakorn Jorruang / Dreamstime)
Last fall, in Manchester, England, an awkward 19-year-old male student touched a 17-year-old female classmate's arm on the street during the daytime. He later said he had wanted to make a friend.

This rattled the young woman so much that she went to the police. Now the young man is facing possible jail time and could be placed on the sex offense registry.

"The complainant's evidence was very clear, logical and without embellishment," a magistrate told the young man. "We can think of no motivation for you to touch the victim other than sexual. Had she not taken evasive action the assault was likely to have been even more serious."

At his hearing, student Jamie Griffiths was convicted of two charges of sexual assault, in part because the accuser, now 18, said that she had "no doubt" that had she not moved away from him that first time he touched her arm, he would have gone on to touch her breast.

As she told the court, according to The Manchester Evening News:

"I was just set on getting home and [reviewing] for my mock exams, but as I was coming over the bridge I saw him facing a hedge and I thought it was really weird. He wasn't doing anything. He was just facing the hedge, staring at it.

"As I walked towards him, I was watching him and he suddenly swung round so he was facing me.

"I remember it happening fast. As soon as he moved, I moved, and I said: 'stop' and he touched me on my arm. I sort of jolted out of the way and I went into the road to avoid him and he very quickly walked away…

"I forgot about it for a while because I had my exams. I just thought it was weird behavior."

It does sound like weird behavior. Does it sound like a crime punishable by possible jail time and placement on the sex offense registry?

The accuser reported the incident to the police. In a second incident, the young woman was walking to school when Griffiths walked in front of her and touched her side. "It was quite a while—three to five seconds," she said. "He smirked at me, he didn't stop, he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying in the street—it was quite traumatic."

The accuser had since read about some other incidents on a local Facebook group (we don't know what those were) and thought that perhaps this encounter was related to them, so she and her mom filed a crime report.

Afterward, she said, "Every time I started working I would cry because I would think of it. I felt very unsafe, even in my own home."

She was applying to college—Oxford University—and was hampered by this stress. Both incidents happened when the accuser and accused were at school together studying for their A Levels, which are more-or-less the English equivalent of the SATs.

As for Griffiths, he had been dealing with something on the side. Unbearably lonely, he told the magistrate, he googled "how to make a friend." It was good to start off with a joke, he read, and decided to give it a try.

"I went to touch her arm to start a conversation and she just walked off," he said. "My intention was to make a friend. All my friends had left. I was lonely. I just wanted to speak to someone," Except, he explained, "The words just didn't come out."

What she read as a smirk he says he intended as a friendly smile. As for the physical contact? "Touching someone's arm to get their attention, I would have thought was normal," he said.

Normal or not, touching someone in public, on their arm or on their waist, does not seem to rise to the level of sexual assault. Just because something is abnormal or upsetting doesn't mean it's a crime.

The magistrates in Manchester disagree. Griffiths now faces a possible maximum sentence of ten years in jail and registry as a sex offender.

It is indeed hard to make friends, or interact with other people at all, if awkward but brief encounters like this are considered criminal behavior.

Tim Pool covered this in a recent video and I'm sourcing the original article. This is personal for me. I don't know if I qualify as borderline high-functioning autistic as I've never received any kind of diagnosis, but I was shy, awkward and didn't know how to talk to girls or avoid accidentally creeping them out. And studying in the UK. That guy could have been me. I could have been arrested, tried and convicted for stalking/sexual harassment, jailed, labeled a sex offender in the same category as pedophiles and rapists, and deported from the UK for life for the "crime" of closely following a classmate I liked a few meters behind but not knowing what to say to her and being overcome by nervousness, acutely aware that I could be screwing up big time, or poking her one too many times on Facebook when the poke feature was still around, or the thought "crime" of wanting to be close to her and have sex with her because I fucking like her, like any straight guy would.

I struggled to understand irony or comprehend unwritten social conventions both online and offline at the time. (Mass inviting everyone to join multiple Facebook groups is considered "spamming" apparently.) How could I have known any better? I didn't realize how uncomfortable she felt until she said so directly, and it's possible she may have blocked me on Facebook. I felt betrayed and heartbroken to the point of tears at not having my feelings for her reciprocated and being rebuffed so harshly and abruptly, being the young, emotionally brittle snowflake I was at the time, but also embarrassed, angry and ashamed at myself for apparently creeping her out, by accident. I was upset at the idea that she may have viewed me as some sort of stalker. I am NOT that kind of guy and the suggestion that I am makes my blood boil.

But I moved on eventually. I forgot all about her and got on with my life. Do I have any regrets? Yes. Could I have done things differently? Absolutely. I just want to forget that any of this ever happened, and it fills me with embarrassment to this very day just thinking about it. Does my inexperience make me a pervert and a potential rapist who should be locked away? Fuck no. And I'm one of the lucky ones. My classmate could have pressed criminal charges. She could have gone to the university administration to get me expelled from college and deported. That guy in the article could have been me. I don't know what vulnerable younger me would have done had he been jailed for stalking and sexual harassment. Suicide would have been on his mind for sure.

And it's not like any of this stuff is new. I remember reading a Metro article on the London subway all those years ago. Some guy was friends with a female work colleague online and they got along just fine, right up until he disclosed his feelings for her by email. His colleague promptly ceased all communication and her brother told him to go kill himself. And kill himself he did. This guy is now buried six feet under and his work colleague faces no repercussions at all for driving her friend to the point of suicide. Instead of giving him the cold shoulder and treating him like some kind of potential rapist, she could have just told him she wasn't interested and carried on as before. I hope her conscience keeps her awake at night for the rest of her life.

I think feminism, specifically Third Wave feminism, definitely has something to do with this. Women are now able to belittle, humiliate and criminalize men on the flimsiest of pretexts with complete and utter impunity because they "feel uncomfortable", regardless of whether their feelings are grounded in reality or not. This is what the mainstream of Western society has embraced in recent years, and things have apparently gotten so much worse ever since I left the UK, and I find it extremely terrifying. I don't blame women for this. I blame feminists for enabling it. We need to fight back and speak out LOUDLY and OPENLY against this kind of hateful, discriminatory, misandrist nonsense, baseless insults of "sExIsT" and "mIsOgYnIsT" aside, before it breeds a whole generation of bitter, disillusioned MGTOWs and incels who do blame and demonize women and are ready to rape and murder their way to infamy.

A girl who breaks down in tears because a guy in her class smiled at her and touched her arm to get her attention is in serious need of psychiatric intervention. Fuck the judge who sided with her and convicted him based on a baseless and speculative claim the accuser made, without evidence or regard for due process. This guy's conviction should be quashed on appeal immediately with monetary compensation and a sincere and heartfelt apology from his classmate and her mother for attempting to ruin his life just for being shy and awkward, and she and her mother should be sued to bankruptcy in retaliation. Being a vulnerable snowflake doesn't give you the right to discriminate and infringe on the rights of others. Imagine the reaction if a white woman had slapped a black man for winking at him.

If I want to move to a Western country, I have to know that shit like this isn't going to happen to me or other guys like me simply for the thought "crime" of liking girls, because what straight guy doesn't want to have sex with a girl he likes? I will NEVER surrender to this feminist bullshit. NEVER.

And with that, I turn the floor over to NSG. Is this guy a victim of misandrist persecution? Has feminism gone too far? Or is he a future rapist like all men apparently are, and should "kIlL aLl mXn, especially creepy autistic perverts" be the norm in society today? Should autistic men be discriminated against for being autistic around women? Have people grown too soft that even the mere thought of something totally harmless gives them literal, recurring nightmares? Do we all need a good spanking to toughen us up? (I don't mean literally, of course. God no.)
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:20 pm

So what we're saying is that going in for a breast grope isn't sexual assault?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:27 pm

It sounds like he has mental health issues.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Also that OP seems kind of bloggy. NSG isn't a soapbox.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Vassenor wrote:So what we're saying is that going in for a breast grope isn't sexual assault?

Jesus Christ vass, he touched her arm. Can you not see that this is overkill?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Vassenor wrote:So what we're saying is that going in for a breast grope isn't sexual assault?

"I think it would have been on my breast had I not moved. When it first happened I didn’t think much of it, didn’t click in my head, I just thought that was really weird. Why did he touch me?

“I forgot about it for a while because I had my exams. I just thought it was weird behaviour.”

She said she encountered Griffiths again on November 7 at lunchtime as she was on her way to school to sit a timed English essay having been revising at home.

She added: ''I was quite far up the road when I noticed him. He is someone who lives in my area, someone I have seen before. I thought I recognised him but I didn’t think it was the person from the first incident at the time.

''It was only when he moved to touch me and looked me in the eyes that I realised it was the same person. The pavement was quite wide but he suddenly moved to walk in front of me, looked me straight in the eye and touches me on my side and walked off.

''It was quite a while - three to five seconds. He smirked at me, he didn’t stop he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying in the street - it was quite traumatic.

“I had reported the previous incident to the police to days before hand as it had been going around that other incidents had occurred and I thought I could give more evidence, and then it happened again. It came up on a local Facebook group chat.

Sauce.

Notice how the OP source omits the bolded line completely.
Last edited by Vassenor on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Samadhi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Sounds more like a case of fear mongering leading the girl to believe BS.
He touched her arm, that shouldn't be a crime.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.
Proud cat mum, I love Snowy and Hijinks.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Samadhi wrote:Sounds more like a case of fear mongering leading the girl to believe BS.

BS like "he's going for a grope if I don't move"?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Samadhi wrote:Sounds more like a case of fear mongering leading the girl to believe BS.

Exactly.
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
Enjoys watching social democrats act like authoritarian hell states are that much worse than them.
It's all slavery baby.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Samadhi wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Exactly.

So what makes that BS?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:05 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Samadhi wrote:
Exactly.

So what makes that BS?

How does she know hat he was planning on doing?
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

"I think it would have been on my breast had I not moved. When it first happened I didn’t think much of it, didn’t click in my head, I just thought that was really weird. Why did he touch me?

“I forgot about it for a while because I had my exams. I just thought it was weird behaviour.”

She said she encountered Griffiths again on November 7 at lunchtime as she was on her way to school to sit a timed English essay having been revising at home.

She added: ''I was quite far up the road when I noticed him. He is someone who lives in my area, someone I have seen before. I thought I recognised him but I didn’t think it was the person from the first incident at the time.

''It was only when he moved to touch me and looked me in the eyes that I realised it was the same person. The pavement was quite wide but he suddenly moved to walk in front of me, looked me straight in the eye and touches me on my side and walked off.

''It was quite a while - three to five seconds. He smirked at me, he didn’t stop he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying in the street - it was quite traumatic.

“I had reported the previous incident to the police to days before hand as it had been going around that other incidents had occurred and I thought I could give more evidence, and then it happened again. It came up on a local Facebook group chat.

Sauce.

Notice how the OP source omits the bolded line completely.

How does she know he was gonna do that? And I highly doubt her testimony if she was out of her mind enough to report a guy to police for touching her arm.

Now I do gotta admit, I don't call the police for anything so maybe I'm not the best guy to get an opinion from on the issue
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what makes that BS?

How does she know hat he was planning on doing?

So what makes it an unreasonable belief that that's what he was going to do?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:How does she know hat he was planning on doing?

The small legal principle of beyond reasonable doubt.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Meligoland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

so perhaps the fact that there isn't anything remotely sexual about touching someone on the arm?

How many people open conversations with someone they've never met by touching them like that?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Samadhi wrote:
Exactly.

So what makes that BS?

It's only true after he's groped successfully
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Samadhi wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what makes that BS?

It's only true after he's groped successfully

So if I see someone with a knife it's unreasonable to believe that unless I take evasive action they could stab me?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Meligoland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

so perhaps the fact that there isn't anything remotely sexual about touching someone on the arm?

"The complainant's evidence was very clear, logical and without embellishment," a magistrate told the young man. "We can think of no motivation for you to touch the victim other than sexual. Had she not taken evasive action the assault was likely to have been even more serious."

At his hearing, student Jamie Griffiths was convicted of two charges of sexual assault, in part because the accuser, now 18, said that she had "no doubt" that had she not moved away from him that first time he touched her arm, he would have gone on to touch her breast
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Meligoland wrote:so perhaps the fact that there isn't anything remotely sexual about touching someone on the arm?

At his hearing, student Jamie Griffiths was convicted of two charges of sexual assault, in part because the accuser, now 18, said that she had "no doubt" that had she not moved away from him that first time he touched her arm, he would have gone on to touch her breast

"Had she not taken evasive action the assault was likely to have been even more serious. The first assault can be recognised as opportunistic however there is more evidence of premeditation in the second.”
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Samadhi
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Samadhi » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Meligoland wrote:so perhaps the fact that there isn't anything remotely sexual about touching someone on the arm?

How many people open conversations with someone they've never met by touching them like that?

I do all the time, I'm very tactile and flirty.

But because I'm a pretty girl I can get away with it?
18 and female
Voluntaryist.
It's all slavery baby.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

Samadhi wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I do all the time, I'm very tactile and flirty.

But because I'm a pretty girl I can get away with it?

Not what I said and you know it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:15 pm

The New California Republic wrote:It sounds like he has mental health issues.

^This. It's something a lot of mentally ill people do because we don't always understand social cues or know what is socially acceptable. It doesn't sound like he meant any harm, this excerpt sounds like a reasonable explanation to someone who has been extremely lonely for a long time such as myself:

As for Griffiths, he had been dealing with something on the side. Unbearably lonely, he told the magistrate, he googled "how to make a friend." It was good to start off with a joke, he read, and decided to give it a try.

"I went to touch her arm to start a conversation and she just walked off," he said. "My intention was to make a friend. All my friends had left. I was lonely. I just wanted to speak to someone," Except, he explained, "The words just didn't come out."
Grumpy Grandpa of the LWDT and RWDT
Kantian with panentheist and Christian beliefs. Rawlsian Socialist. Just completed studies in History and International Relations. Asexual with sex-revulsion.
The world is grey, the mountains old, the forges fire is ashen cold. No harp is wrung, no hammer falls, the darkness dwells in Durin's halls...
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts
Borderline Personality Disorder, currently in treatment. I apologize if I blow up at you. TG me for info, can't discuss publicly because the mods support stigma on mental illness.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Meligoland wrote:

what actual evidence is there besides her own personal feelings that he was gonna grab her breast?

She should have waited until he copped her and went "HONK HONK"?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Meligoland wrote:
Gormwood wrote:She should have waited until he copped her and went "HONK HONK"?

your sexual fantasies aren't relevant.

I'll take that as "Yes".
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Meligoland wrote:

what actual evidence is there besides her own personal feelings that he was gonna grab her breast?

It isn't needed. This isn't Scotland. Corroboration isn't needed.

Wave on, wave on

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General