NATION

PASSWORD

Uganda to reinstate death penalty for Homosexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Not really. They still have those opinions. The only difference is that those people are making laws in Uganda.

Fundies are in government here, and we yet don't have those laws. The institutional foundations of the west are much stronger.

That depends how you define West. There aren't many fundamentalists in the governments in western Europe.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

New haven america wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:I mean it's nice that some people are pointing out the American influence behind this but it's also very disappointing that some people are trying to defend it.

A. No one's doing that
B. This is England's fault, they're the ones who owned Uganda (America only has 1 African colony, and that was on the West Coast)

American fundies were the ones lobbying Uganda for the bill.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Founded: May 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:I mean it's nice that some people are pointing out the American influence behind this but it's also very disappointing that some people are trying to defend it.

...Who's defending it?

Anyone pretending this is the fault of anyone other than American evangelicals
if you like my posts please make sure to downvote my factbooks.
DON'T CLICK
"lmao child you come into MY region"
no, this nation does not represent my
views. i cannot believe i have to clarify this

for RPers
my views explained

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

New haven america wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:No comments here about race; it isn't just blacks that call for genocide of homosexuals, it's just that the west has largely moved on from it.

A. A decent chunk of the West has not
B. Yeah, uh, this hatred of homosexuals in a lot of the world comes from Western Christian culture and influences

I get that, but again, they're successful there and not here in doing this because of the shoddy cultural framework present in Uganda.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

New haven america wrote:

A. No one's doing that
B. This is England's fault, they're the ones who owned Uganda (America only has 1 African colony, and that was on the West Coast)

liberia was an independent country from its inception, if i recall correctly
whatever its de facto status as an american concern, it was de jure a sovereign state

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Not really. They still have those opinions. The only difference is that those people are making laws in Uganda.

Fundies are in government here, and we yet don't have those laws. The institutional foundations of the west are much stronger.

America only legalized gay marriage in 2016, and it took until 2005 for the majority of Americans to believe LGBT people should even exist, and LGBT people are still the only group that's legally allowed to be discriminated against.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Fundies are in government here, and we yet don't have those laws. The institutional foundations of the west are much stronger.

That depends how you define West. There aren't many fundamentalists in the governments in western Europe.

When I say "here", I mean America. I should be clear.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:58 pm

New haven america wrote:A. No one's doing that

LMAO what else do you call "uhh actually evangelical leader X technically actually didn't" or "they have a right to free speech"

New haven america wrote:B. This is England's fault, they're the ones who owned Uganda (America only has 1 African colony, and that was on the West Coast)

No
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm

New haven america wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:Fundies are in government here, and we yet don't have those laws. The institutional foundations of the west are much stronger.

America only legalized gay marriage in 2016, and it took until 2005 for the majority of Americans to believe LGBT people should even exist, and LGBT people are still the only group that's legally allowed to be discriminated against.

It's not perfect, but they were never *executed* here, and certainly not in a time when they had the science to know that it was okay.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Duhon wrote:

liberia was an independent country from its inception, if i recall correctly
whatever its de facto status as an american concern, it was de jure a sovereign state

For the first 20 or so years of it's existence it was a colony of the US.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That depends how you define West. There aren't many fundamentalists in the governments in western Europe.

When I say "here", I mean America. I should be clear.

In that case, I don't think you're much better. There's those religious freedom acts and the bathroom bills.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Jean-Paul Sartre
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Jean-Paul Sartre » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:When I say "here", I mean America. I should be clear.

In that case, I don't think you're much better. There's those religious freedom acts and the bathroom bills.

I think that's an unfair comparison. Discrimination is terrible, yes, but it pales in comparison to death penalties.
-Heraclitus of Ephesus

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:

1. LMAO what else do you call "uhh actually evangelical leader X technically actually didn't" or "they have a right to free speech"

New haven america wrote:B. This is England's fault, they're the ones who owned Uganda (America only has 1 African colony, and that was on the West Coast)

2. No

1. Evangelicals exist in Europe and Africa too. Gen for example is a former German Evangelical.
2. Care to expand upon that? Or are you just gonna conveniently forget the fact that the UK controlled Uganda up until 1962?
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:02 pm

New haven america wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:1. LMAO what else do you call "uhh actually evangelical leader X technically actually didn't" or "they have a right to free speech"

2. No

1. Evangelicals exist in Europe ad Africa too. Gen for example is a former German Evangelical.
2. Care to expand upon that? Or are you just gonna conveniently forget the fact that the UK controlled Uganda up until 1962?

1. Sorry I mean American evangelicals as I have specified previously
2. And?
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 pm

anyway "freedom of speech" stopped meaning shit after RTLM killed somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 people
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 pm

There was an segment on Uganda in Stephen Fry's documentary "Out there" which is available on YouTube.

Part One features the Uganda one.
Last edited by Nakena on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
Geneviev wrote:In that case, I don't think you're much better. There's those religious freedom acts and the bathroom bills.

I think that's an unfair comparison. Discrimination is terrible, yes, but it pales in comparison to death penalties.

Refusing medical care could be considered a death penalty.

New haven america wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:1. LMAO what else do you call "uhh actually evangelical leader X technically actually didn't" or "they have a right to free speech"

2. No

1. Evangelicals exist in Europe and Africa too. Gen for example is a former German Evangelical.

I was going to correct you, but then I saw former.

But yes, there are a few evangelicals in Europe too.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
New haven america wrote:America only legalized gay marriage in 2016, and it took until 2005 for the majority of Americans to believe LGBT people should even exist, and LGBT people are still the only group that's legally allowed to be discriminated against.

It's not perfect, but they were never *executed* here, and certainly not in a time when they had the science to know that it was okay.

You're right, we just sent them to insane asylums where they were tortured and lobotomized and forced to live the rest of their lives in a cage until they died and were cremated or dissected and buried in unmarked graves.

You know, I honestly can't tell you which one would be worse. At least in Uganda it'd be quick and painless.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:05 pm

New haven america wrote:1. Evangelicals exist in Europe ad Africa too. Gen for example is a former German Evangelical.

1. Sorry I mean American evangelicals as I have specified previously
2. And?

1. You obviously did not and are now backtracking in order to salvage your argument.
2. Uganda's anti-homosexuality and a lot of anti-homosexual behavior in Africa is the UK's fault.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Jean-Paul Sartre wrote:
New haven america wrote:A. A decent chunk of the West has not
B. Yeah, uh, this hatred of homosexuals in a lot of the world comes from Western Christian culture and influences

I get that, but again, they're successful there and not here in doing this because of the shoddy cultural framework present in Uganda.

Is that why being LGBT is still illegal in Eastern Europe?
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 pm

New haven america wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:1. Sorry I mean American evangelicals as I have specified previously
2. And?

1. You obviously did not and are now backtracking in order to salvage your argument.
2. Uganda's anti-homosexuality and a lot of anti-homosexual behavior in Africa is the UK's fault.

1. I'm pretty sure I know what I meant, actually
2. lol are you trying to shift responsibility here
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:11 pm

New haven america wrote:1. You obviously did not and are now backtracking in order to salvage your argument.

1. I'm pretty sure I know what I meant, actually

1. No, I do not, and it seems you didn't either.
2. No, I'm pointing out who's originally responsible for this behavior by reminding you that the British Empire controlled much more of Africa and Christianized more of Africa than the US could've ever dreamed of or cared to.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:13 pm

New haven america wrote:
Munkcestrian Republic wrote:1. I'm pretty sure I know what I meant, actually

1. No, I do not, and it seems you didn't either.
2. No, I'm pointing out who's originally responsible for this behavior by reminding you that the British Empire controlled much more of Africa and Christianized more of Africa than the US could've ever dreamed of or cared to.

1. You seem to be getting a bit confused, but yeah actually I do know what I mean and I don't know why you'd decide to disagree on that
2. Just go the whole way and blame humanity for existing
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

Munkcestrian Republic
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Munkcestrian Republic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm

New haven america wrote:1. No, I do not, and it seems you didn't either.

1. You seem to be getting a bit confused, but yeah actually I do know what I mean and I don't know why you'd decide to disagree on that

(and now I'm going to bed)
Last edited by Munkcestrian Republic on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T CLICK

for RPers
my views explained

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:1. You seem to be getting a bit confused, but yeah actually I do know what I mean and I don't know why you'd decide to disagree on that

(and now I'm going to bed)

This is called running away, it's generally done when people know that their argument doesn't hold up.

No shame in admitting it, when I was new I did the same thing.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General