NATION

PASSWORD

Uganda to reinstate death penalty for Homosexuality

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:52 am

Kowani wrote:Source 1.
Source 2.

After their last attempt was thrown out 5 years ago due to procedural technicalities, Uganda is trying again to make homosexuality a capital crime. However, homosexual acts are already criminalized in Uganda. This new law, which is expected to pass, would not only make it punishable by death, it would also make education on homosexuality illegal: "Homosexuality is not natural to Ugandans, but there has been a massive recruitment by gay people in schools, and especially among the youth, where they are promoting the falsehood that people are born like that," Ethics and Integrity Minister Simon Lokodo told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
"Our current penal law is limited. It only criminalises the act. We want it made clear that anyone who is even involved in promotion and recruitment has to be criminalised. Those that do grave acts will be given the death sentence."

So…NSG, where do we go from here?

This is the third time in a row already. When are they going to fucking learn that gay people deserve to be treated equally? Countries that are dead set on exterminating LGBT people deserve to be sanctioned and isolated, but it appears that withholding aid is insufficient to bring Uganda in line with the 21st century. I can't say any more because site rules prohibit me from doing so. I'll reserve that for Facebook.
Last edited by New Bremerton on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:52 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
it is your words youre shoving into our mouth.

Not really, there where Christian groups claiming the bible support them, in America, who wanted to have gays killed. Whether you think the bible does or does not support them is irrelevant to whether Christian are in fact supporting said policies, and push said policies abroad since they cannot achieve them at home.

In fairness Scott Lively (the largest evangelical influence) did not want the death sentence, he wanted conversion treatment as punishment. Think the UK in the 1950's.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 am

Really hope the international community pressures Uganda to drop the bill.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 am

Fucking dictator state does shitty things to stop its own citizens from being free.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Not really, there where Christian groups claiming the bible support them, in America, who wanted to have gays killed. Whether you think the bible does or does not support them is irrelevant to whether Christian are in fact supporting said policies, and push said policies abroad since they cannot achieve them at home.

In fairness Scott Lively (the largest evangelical influence) did not want the death sentence, he wanted conversion treatment as punishment. Think the UK in the 1950's.

Am I an outlier if I say I have no idea who that is? Not that my singular knowledge would make him insignificant, but like...I guess I missed something here?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:30 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Not really, there where Christian groups claiming the bible support them, in America, who wanted to have gays killed. Whether you think the bible does or does not support them is irrelevant to whether Christian are in fact supporting said policies, and push said policies abroad since they cannot achieve them at home.

Livey may ave wanted it limited to that, but the excuses he used to support his point are exactly the same ones being used to justify the death penalty.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am

Luminesa wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Am I an outlier if I say I have no idea who that is? Not that my singular knowledge would make him insignificant, but like...I guess I missed something here?

He was the one Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) attempted to sue using the alien torts statute.

https://ccrjustice.org/home/press-cente ... s-anti-gay

The judge ruled in Lively's favor but very clearly did not want to.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:37 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Am I an outlier if I say I have no idea who that is? Not that my singular knowledge would make him insignificant, but like...I guess I missed something here?

He was the one Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) attempted to sue using the alien torts statute.

So was there some kind of miscommunication when he didn’t want the death penalty but Uganda went ahead with it anyway, or was he secretly funding hunting for the deaths of homosexual people in Uganda? That seems like a pretty big gap in communication, given the former, but Nigeria has hated gay people for a long time.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 am

Wait, reinstate?

So they got rid of it, then decided they wanted it again?
...Why?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 am

Luminesa wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

So was there some kind of miscommunication when he didn’t want the death penalty but Uganda went ahead with it anyway, or was he secretly funding hunting for the deaths of homosexual people in Uganda? That seems like a pretty big gap in communication, given the former, but Nigeria has hated gay people for a long time.

More likely he pushed for making it illegal.

And then Uganda said illegal so we shoot them right ?

And despite all attempts to dissuade them from shooting the gay people Uganda though shooting was cheaper than rehab and prison.
Barack Obama

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:45 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Luminesa wrote:So was there some kind of miscommunication when he didn’t want the death penalty but Uganda went ahead with it anyway, or was he secretly funding hunting for the deaths of homosexual people in Uganda? That seems like a pretty big gap in communication, given the former, but Nigeria has hated gay people for a long time.

More likely he pushed for making it illegal.

And then Uganda said illegal so we shoot them right ?

And despite all attempts to dissuade them from shooting the gay people Uganda though shooting was cheaper than rehab and prison.

And they have a lot more weapons lying around as well. Not that being gay should mean a person should be put in jail either, but Uganda is more used to ruling its people with guns anyway.
-Alan Jackson

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Calling for Uganda to be clamped down while doing nothing about American Evangelicals that gave Uganda the idea to begin with. Treating the symptoms without curing the cause.

Likely because they were protected by free speech.

Uganda has freedom of speech now? Guess that means terrorists are also protected by freedom of speech.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:23 am

Greed and Death wrote:

Imagine a world where people don't completely lose their minds over two men kissing.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 am

Gormwood wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Likely because they were protected by free speech.

Uganda has freedom of speech now? Guess that means terrorists are also protected by freedom of speech.

America does and wont extradite someone for exercising their right to free speech.
Barack Obama

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:41 am

Fuck them and the American and English assholes who brought homophobia to Uganda.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Uganda has freedom of speech now? Guess that means terrorists are also protected by freedom of speech.

America does and wont extradite someone for exercising their right to free speech.

This is way more than yelling "Fire" in a cfowded theater.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:42 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Uganda has freedom of speech now? Guess that means terrorists are also protected by freedom of speech.

Is it free speech if you give someone money to kill a group of people ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:43 am

Gormwood wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

This is way more than yelling "Fire" in a cfowded theater.

He was addressing a government suggesting laws.

That is core protected speech.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Is it free speech if you give someone money to kill a group of people ?

What next will favoring war be made illegal.
Barack Obama

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:47 am

Sounds like Uganda needs a regime change.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:48 am

Genivaria wrote:Sounds like Uganda needs a regime change.

It is a Democratically elected government regime changing them would be against international law.

Maybe if they had a lot of oil and were threatening to cut off the world from that oil it could be made legal.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am

Greed and Death wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Is it free speech if you give someone money to kill a group of people ?

You evade the question.
American Christians have given key members of the government of Uganda significant amounts of money to "encourage" them to kill gays.
Is that merely "free speech" or is that a crime ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

You evade the question.
American Christians have given key members of the government of Uganda significant amounts of money to "encourage" them to kill gays.

Can you source that claim ?

As I read it they built schools and hospitals independent of any internal polices the country made. Also I don't know how rich you think Evangelicals are but I doubt their money comes close to international aid they receive.
Barack Obama

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:00 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

You evade the question.

Sounds like conspiracy to commit crimes against humanity.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:You evade the question.

Sounds like conspiracy to commit crimes against humanity.

They gave money to Uganda sounds more like something pulled out of someone's ass.
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General