NATION

PASSWORD

Over policing on our roads. How far is too far.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should be done about excessive policing

Jail the police.
10%
Jail the legislators.
19%
Jail the police and legislators.
10%
Boogaloo time, burn a third of the city.
29%
It’s not that bad.
24%
Is this some sort of poor joke I’m too wealthy to understand?
10%

Total votes : 21

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Hmmm, here's what Australian law has to say.

https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-driv ... le-driving

Although there is no specific rule that prohibits eating or drinking (non-alcoholic) while driving, the practice can distract drivers and ultimately result in prosecution.

Driver distraction is broadly covered under NSW Road Rule 297(1) which is a general road rule that states “a driver must not drive a vehicle unless the driver has proper control of the vehicle”.

If eating while driving interferes with a driver’s control of the vehicle, the driver may be committing an offence depending on the circumstances.

These types of offences are assessed on a case by case basis, including whether an incident occurred and are subject to a $433 fine and three demerit points. In school zones, the penalty increases to $541 with 4 demerit points.

As well as the dangers of driving under the influence, NSW Road Rule 298 (1) states that a driver must not to consume alcohol while driving. This would apply regardless of whether the driver is under the limit.

It looks like one of those grey areas in the law where the officer needs to use discretion and assess if he/she thinks the driver is in control of the vehicle.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:34 pm

I used to drink and drive but I gave it up. Every time I hit a bump I spilled my drink. bada-BING

I've learned from bitter experience that alcohol and gasoline don't mix. No more gasoline Martinis for me. bada-BING
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Previous

Return to General