NATION

PASSWORD

Turkish military offensive in Syria/Rojava

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which side you're sympathic towards?

Turkey
13%
Rojava/SDF
63%
Neither or unsure
24%

Total votes : 417

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

The Glorious Turkish Army Is Combating Terrorism.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am

Nakena wrote:
Florentiam wrote:
And that puzzles me. Assad is a dictator like Erdogan, how can he possibly allow another State to enter so batlanty and violate its sovereignty? Jeez, Turkey is literally invading you, US doesn't care and you don't raise a single word against it?

Supposedly Erdogan just wants to conquer a "strip" in northern Syria as buffer zone but chances are he will go for all the cake and grab the wholesome of it down to the Euphrates.

He won't advance beyond the zone, the war and its history have shown this, when Afrin was taken he didn't advance into Tel Rifaat or Menagh, and during Euphrates Shield little to no efforts were made to take Manbij. There are also rumours Assad and the IRGC are preparing to enter Raqqa and more parts of Deir ez-Zor, and Erdogan wouldn't stop that either. Erdogan's foot in Syria is limited by America and Russia.

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:10 am

So it begins..

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 am

The Kurds need their own nation.
Shame though that any externally enforced solution is going to create only more problems and tensions, we don't need a second Israel in that zone.
Which doesn't spell good for the Kurds, as it'll be hard for them to stand ground against bigger and more powerful nations, like Turkey.

Hope the Kurds will resist long enough to get their national status recognized.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Khataiy
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Khataiy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

Lost Memories wrote:The Kurds need their own nation.
Shame though that any externally enforced solution is going to create only more problems and tensions, we don't need a second Israel in that zone.
Which doesn't spell good for the Kurds, as it'll be hard for them to stand ground against bigger and more powerful nations, like Turkey.

Rojava isn't a sepratist movement they have made it very clear they have no intention of seperating from Syria.

Gagium
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gagium » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
San Carlos Islands wrote:Meh. Could care less. Just glad American troops are coming home.

We are on the wrong side of the conflict

The point of withdrawing is so that we aren't in the conflict :eyebrow:
E

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

looks like every facet of american society is now specialized on selling out some facet of democracy -- concept and people alike -- upriver for a favor from some authoritarian or other

american government? look guys, we really need the goods on biden believe me! and while you're at it, why not every other democrat too?

american corporations? look guys, we really need the goods on the yuan or some shit believe me! keep those privileged eyeballs rolling towards us!

american people? look guys, we're just being inconsistent about this, but hey, at least you're not migrating here! have fun getting genocided! oh and fuck all y'all, believe us!
Last edited by Duhon on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

Kurds get fucked over once again and im sure we will be hearing all about a bunch of war crimes in the next few months with the Turks fucking slaughtering them.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:41 am

What an idiot move by Trump to order troops to just up and leave the de facto independent Kurdish Rojava state without warning to the mercy of the Turks, ISIS and Assad's forces. This coming from a president who also nearly betrayed the people of Afghanistan to the savage and medieval whims of the Taliban. Given his boorishness and propensity to lie, I prefer to judge him by his actions, not his words, and this was a really dumb thing to do, and is nothing short of a betrayal. Now Turkey seeks to flood northern Rojava with Arab refugees in order to undermine the Syrian Kurds' right to self-determination and completely destroy whatever semblance of a Kurdish state has managed to come into being. This is nothing less than ethnic cleansing, and I fear a genocide may follow shortly. The Kurds deserve better than this. They have already begun their reconquest of territory lost by the Ottoman Empire at the end of WWI.

America should be arming the Syrian Kurdish Rojava state, not feeding it to the wolves, just as Russia has been arming the Assad regime and backing it with airstrikes. The Kurdish people will be even worse off than they were prior to 2011. I stand with the Kurds for the exact same reason I stand with Israel, Tibet, East Turkestan, Catalonia, Taiwan and Hong Kong. This is about self-determination for an embattled ethnic minority in their indigenous homeland. America's betrayal will not be forgotten.

At least Tulsi Gabbard's not that irresponsible. She is a close friend and ally of the Kurdish people, and she recognizes that defending a Kurdish state and defeating ISIS =/= overthrowing Assad and encouraging regime change wars. America should be encouraging a ceasefire along the Euphrates River between Assad and the YPG in a deal brokered between Russia and the United States, the real players behind the chessboard, and both countries can then proceed to apply pressure on Turkey to withdraw its forces from Syria to the benefit of both the Assad regime and the Kurds.

This move has done more to dent my opinion of Donald Trump than his numerous tweets about The Squad and the countless accusations leveled against him by the Democrats and the MSM. All of that domestic controversy pales in comparison to the countless lives that would be lost as a direct consequence of his betrayal. I'm actually genuinely disgusted with him. And if he can betray the Kurds, he can betray Hong Kong, all at the drop of a hat.

As for the racist, Islamofascist, genocidal state of Turkey, they should be expelled from NATO (which in turn should serve to further placate Russia, as Turkey is sandwiched between Syria to the south and Ukraine and Russian-occupied Crimea across the Black Sea to the north), diplomatic ties should be severed and economic sanctions should be imposed. Together with Iran and Saudi Arabia, they should be isolated and contained. To achieve this objective, detente with Russia needs to happen first. Turkey can be stopped if the United States and Russia are prepared to work together. While Russia is similarly bombing civilians in HTS (Hayat Tahrir al-Sham)-controlled Idlib province, we can still prevent Turkey from doing likewise in northern Syria and snuffing out the last remaining bastion of freedom and democracy in the form of the Kurdish Rojava state. A limited, token U.S. military presence in Rojava should be sufficient to deter Turkish aggression.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:42 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Kurds get fucked over once again and im sure we will be hearing all about a bunch of war crimes in the next few months with the Turks fucking slaughtering them.

"Everything's got a price... for the Million-Dollar Men. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA --"

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:46 am

Syria getting divided between two dictators, Assad and Erdo, as I predicted
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am

Anyone else getting 70's flashbacks? What with an impeachable president dooming an ally with a withdrawal?

I think this means Jimmy Carter might be our next president...
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:50 am

Khataiy wrote:
Lost Memories wrote:The Kurds need their own nation.

Rojava isn't a sepratist movement they have made it very clear they have no intention of seperating from Syria.

Doesn't Rojava wish for all of Syria to eventually become a federation similar to how Rojava is structured?
So while it isn't tecnical separatism, it's still something which goes counter the syrian national government.

There is also to take in mind that the Kurdish population isn't only in Syria, see Kurdistan.
As an enough distinct ethnic group, with their own culture, language etc, it's odd for them to be split over many different nations.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:50 am

New Bremerton wrote:What an idiot move by Trump to order troops to just up and leave the de facto independent Kurdish Rojava state without warning to the mercy of the Turks, ISIS and Assad's forces. This coming from a president who also nearly betrayed the people of Afghanistan to the savage and medieval whims of the Taliban. Given his boorishness and propensity to lie, I prefer to judge him by his actions, not his words, and this was a really dumb thing to do, and is nothing short of a betrayal. Now Turkey seeks to flood northern Rojava with Arab refugees in order to undermine the Syrian Kurds' right to self-determination and completely destroy whatever semblance of a Kurdish state has managed to come into being. This is nothing less than ethnic cleansing, and I fear a genocide may follow shortly. The Kurds deserve better than this. They have already begun their reconquest of territory lost by the Ottoman Empire at the end of WWI.

America should be arming the Syrian Kurdish Rojava state, not feeding it to the wolves, just as Russia has been arming the Assad regime and backing it with airstrikes. The Kurdish people will be even worse off than they were prior to 2011. I stand with the Kurds for the exact same reason I stand with Israel, Tibet, East Turkestan, Catalonia, Taiwan and Hong Kong. This is about self-determination for an embattled ethnic minority in their indigenous homeland. America's betrayal will not be forgotten.

At least Tulsi Gabbard's not that irresponsible. She is a close friend and ally of the Kurdish people, and she recognizes that defending a Kurdish state and defeating ISIS =/= overthrowing Assad and encouraging regime change wars. America should be encouraging a ceasefire along the Euphrates River between Assad and the YPG in a deal brokered between Russia and the United States, the real players behind the chessboard, and both countries can then proceed to apply pressure on Turkey to withdraw its forces from Syria to the benefit of both the Assad regime and the Kurds.

This move has done more to dent my opinion of Donald Trump than his numerous tweets about The Squad and the countless accusations leveled against him by the Democrats and the MSM. All of that domestic controversy pales in comparison to the countless lives that would be lost as a direct consequence of his betrayal. I'm actually genuinely disgusted with him. And if he can betray the Kurds, he can betray Hong Kong, all at the drop of a hat.

As for the racist, Islamofascist, genocidal state of Turkey, they should be expelled from NATO (which in turn should serve to further placate Russia, as Turkey is sandwiched between Syria to the south and Ukraine and Russian-occupied Crimea across the Black Sea to the north), diplomatic ties should be severed and economic sanctions should be imposed. Together with Iran and Saudi Arabia, they should be isolated and contained. To achieve this objective, detente with Russia needs to happen first. Turkey can be stopped if the United States and Russia are prepared to work together. While Russia is similarly bombing civilians in HTS (Hayat Tahrir al-Sham)-controlled Idlib province, we can still prevent Turkey from doing likewise in northern Syria and snuffing out the last remaining bastion of freedom and democracy in the form of the Kurdish Rojava state. A limited, token U.S. military presence in Rojava should be sufficient to deter Turkish aggression.

Rojava is far from a good state. Rojava persecutes Arabs within itself, the whole point of Ba’ath is secularism
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 am

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:The Glorious Turkish Army Is Combating Terrorism.

What a cretinous analogy. Helping ISIS and destroying the only hope of true democracy in Syria and the end of tyranny is not 'combatting terrorism'. It is quite the opposite, it is terrorism. Erdogan is a terrorist and neo-ottomanism is a fundamentally terroristic ideology.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:52 am

Major-Tom wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Turkey has full rights to do this, as Rojava continues its persecution of Arabs. I’m hoping Assad comes out on top at the end of all this, he’s definitely least of all the evils in this conflict

Sure, the Rojava government has a bad track record in regards to killing of opponents, many of whom are Arab, but to take that and suddenly leap to the conclusion that "Assad is the most moral here" is asinine. Turkey is descending into an authoritarian hellscape, sure, and the Rojava government may not be the trendsetter of human rights that many would like to believe, granted, but Assad is a megalomaniacal tyrant who frequently slaughters his own people.

Assad is literally the last hope of secularism in the region
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

Dogmeat wrote:Anyone else getting 70's flashbacks? What with an impeachable president dooming an ally with a withdrawal?

I think this means Jimmy Carter might be our next president...

1970s? lol there wouldn't be a respite to this trumpery even if trump goes
you americans will be known for selling democracy upriver at every authoritarian's fucking munich
only you're not even neville fucking chamberlains, wanting peace at any price and failing to get it

Kyria
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyria » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:55 am

Well, this is a most saddening and utterly despicable development. Unfortunately, I can only offer my best wishes to the Kurds in their fight for freedom. I do believe Turkey has the right to nationhood, but Erdogan is making that really difficult to justify. Hopefully the Kemalists oust him before it’s too late.
REPUBLIC OF KYRIA ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΊΑ ΚῩ́ΡΕΙᾹΣ
MT 'modern Byzantium' blending Orwell and Mirror’s Edge with NazCentBol-esque Blue Helmet neoimperialism and tacticool Stormtrooperesque faceless legions.
Capital: Constantinople | President: Ioánnis Bardanes | Religion: Orthodox Christianity | Factbook | Map | News

Swasal
Civilian

Founded: Apr 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Swasal » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:56 am

I feel there might be some borderline genocidal shit going down in Syria soon enough after the Turkish beat the Kurdish troops with sheer numbers and technology. My heart bleeds for the long-suffering Kurds but sadly there is no reasoning with dictators such as Mr. Erdogan, especially after the World Police became the World Licensing Authority too. I find it unimaginable that Nato and the US basically endorsed Turkish invasion of a sovereign country due to "legitimate security concerns". As if Turkey hasn't been holding Apo in what is basically solitary confinement for 17 years on mostly trumped-up charges of terrorism (not the kind defined under international law, the kind that says if you oppose us you're a terrorist). Well, this is the world we live in.

Negarakita
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Negarakita » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

This is a good thing, the YPG have been involved in supporting PKK terrorist attacks in Turkey for too long. Love that the child soldiers cum opium smugglers of the PKK have become poster children for democracy in the middle east, but it will be great to see the AnComs shut up about their socialist paradise where gay children get to be pressed into military service too. I just hope that the campaign will be carried out in a moral manner and without the targetting of civilians that the PKK are fond of.
Muslim revert, supporting wasatiyyah for a true and moderate expression of our faith. Political centrist.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am

Gravlen wrote:
Florentiam wrote:
And that puzzles me. Assad is a dictator like Erdogan, how can he possibly allow another State to cross your borders and violate your sovereignty so batlanty? Jeez, Turkey is literally invading you, US doesn't care and you don't raise a single word against it?

The territory in question is already far outside Syrian government control.

This map is from march, but the front lines haven't move significantly since then. The attacks now are happening in the north-eastern part of the map.

Here's a live-updated map of the situation.

Here’s a more updated map from October
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:18 am

Agarntrop wrote:
Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:The Glorious Turkish Army Is Combating Terrorism.

What a cretinous analogy. Helping ISIS and destroying the only hope of true democracy in Syria and the end of tyranny is not 'combatting terrorism'. It is quite the opposite, it is terrorism. Erdogan is a terrorist and neo-ottomanism is a fundamentally terroristic ideology.

Nobody wants neo-ottomanism, all we want is peace and security of the region.Assad and Turkey should sit at the table for peace

I will not answer racist rhetoric

Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am

Negarakita wrote:This is a good thing, the YPG have been involved in supporting PKK terrorist attacks in Turkey for too long. Love that the child soldiers cum opium smugglers of the PKK have become poster children for democracy in the middle east, but it will be great to see the AnComs shut up about their socialist paradise where gay children get to be pressed into military service too. I just hope that the campaign will be carried out in a moral manner and without the targetting of civilians that the PKK are fond of.

I disagree with a lot of what you said, but you are right about one thing, Rojava is far from being a good state. It’s continued support of terrorism, persecution of Arabs, and horrible human rights record often goes ignored by the far left which holds it up as the poster child of successful communism (this really says more about the far-left than Rojava imo)
9axes

Wallenburg
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Wallenburg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:24 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Negarakita wrote:This is a good thing, the YPG have been involved in supporting PKK terrorist attacks in Turkey for too long. Love that the child soldiers cum opium smugglers of the PKK have become poster children for democracy in the middle east, but it will be great to see the AnComs shut up about their socialist paradise where gay children get to be pressed into military service too. I just hope that the campaign will be carried out in a moral manner and without the targetting of civilians that the PKK are fond of.

I disagree with a lot of what you said, but you are right about one thing, Rojava is far from being a good state. It’s continued support of terrorism, persecution of Arabs, and horrible human rights record often goes ignored by the far left which holds it up as the poster child of successful communism (this really says more about the far-left than Rojava imo)

So many claims, but no sauce to go with it.
While she had no regrets about throwing the lever to douse her husband's mistress in molten gold, Blanche did feel a pang of conscience for the innocent bystanders whose proximity had caused them to suffer gilt by association.

King of Snark, Real Piece of Work, Metabolizer of Oxygen, Old Man from The East Pacific, by the Malevolence of Her Infinite Terribleness Catherine Gratwick the Sole and True Claimant to the Bears Armed Vacancy, Protector of the Realm

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:What a cretinous analogy. Helping ISIS and destroying the only hope of true democracy in Syria and the end of tyranny is not 'combatting terrorism'. It is quite the opposite, it is terrorism. Erdogan is a terrorist and neo-ottomanism is a fundamentally terroristic ideology.

Nobody wants neo-ottomanism, all we want is peace and security of the region.Assad and Turkey should sit at the table for peace

Most of the people living in that Rojava territory of this imaginary Turkmeneli are Kurds and want nothing to do with Turkey. The same thing is true on the other side of the border actually.
Last edited by Heloin on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General