NATION

PASSWORD

New York abandons plans for mens shelter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:59 am

Ors Might wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
It's not a great location for a shelter. There is no subway nearby, and I dont think there are a lot of services for the homeless in college point. ( that last point, needs to be researched).

You’re probably right. That’s not what’s upsetting, or at least its not as upsetting. Excluding a not insignificant number of people from seeking shelter because of their sex is abhorrent and is part of a wider issue.

The making it s women's shelter was a sop to the community to alleviate their concerns about the crime caused by having a shelter there.

I am a bit playing devils advocate, (full disclosure: I have dated a girl from college point in the long past). I see both sides but I see the communities point.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:01 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ors Might wrote:You’re probably right. That’s not what’s upsetting, or at least its not as upsetting. Excluding a not insignificant number of people from seeking shelter because of their sex is abhorrent and is part of a wider issue.

The making it s women's shelter was a sop to the community to alleviate their concerns about the crime caused by having a shelter there.

I am a bit playing devils advocate, (full disclosure: I have dated a girl from college point in the long past). I see both sides but I see the communities point.

Straight up i'd have eisenhowered it just to drive the point home

Rich misandrists are so extremely entitled they'd throw a massive tantrum and probably attack the troops or cops because they're so out of touch and so used to getting everything their way and so unused to state violence being leveled against them they don't understand how to react, and then you can just shove them in a cell.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

Galloism wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:The wiki made the ratio much higher. I dont believe race or color makes a difference. I in no way believe the sexes are or should be considered equal except before the law (which would include pay and work).

The shelter is operated by the state directly. Not allowing both genders is explicitly not being equal before the law.

City, or private contractor. And to be honest, you may be right.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 am

Gormwood wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:They were to both the homeless shelter in general, and a homeless shelter with men in it. Hence why it's a "partial victory". If their only objections were to the shelter in general, it wouldn't be considered a "victory" in any sense.

They didn't consider it a complete victory like you think they would if the presence of homeless men was their sole objection.

It was however one of their two objections. Hence "partial victory". Don't try to gloss over that, it won't work.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:05 am

Proctopeo wrote:
Gormwood wrote:They didn't consider it a complete victory like you think they would if the presence of homeless men was their sole objection.

It was however one of their two objections. Hence "partial victory". Don't try to gloss over that, it won't work.

Don't pretend the objection to the shelter was solely driven by penis hate either.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:06 am

Gormwood wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:It was however one of their two objections. Hence "partial victory". Don't try to gloss over that, it won't work.

Don't pretend the objection to the shelter was solely driven by penis hate either.

I'm not doing that, nobody is doing that. Please, read.
Again, however, it was an objection, and perhaps more notably, the objection that was listened to.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:09 am

Gormwood wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:It was however one of their two objections. Hence "partial victory". Don't try to gloss over that, it won't work.

RemindMeWhen;
Next time Gorm or Vass try to talk about any issue like race where class is also an axis but don't bring it up.

It's almost like you're desperate to dismiss misandry, especially calling it penis hate and so on.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:10 am

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:11 am

Naw, College Point embraced the shelter wholeheartedly once they said "No Penii Allowed".
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:13 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Straight up i'd have eisenhowered it just to drive the point home

Rich misandrists are so extremely entitled they'd throw a massive tantrum and probably attack the troops or cops because they're so out of touch and so used to getting everything their way and so unused to state violence being leveled against them they don't understand how to react, and then you can just shove them in a cell.

College point is a working class neighborhood. When you cant afford flushing you move to college point. College point is home to junk yards, auto collision shops, waste transfer stations, NYPD's tow lot, and sits under LaGuardia' runway.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 am

Gormwood wrote:

Naw, College Point embraced the shelter wholeheartedly once they said "No Penii Allowed".

Edit:, my sarcasm meter is broken, sorry.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:16 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Naw, College Point embraced the shelter wholeheartedly once they said "No Penii Allowed".

Embraced? Source please.

That was sarcasm.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

Gormwood wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Embraced? Source please.

That was sarcasm.

Took me a second to realize, I was correcting when you beat me to it.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:23 am

Gormwood wrote:

Do not pretend “penis hate” was not involved at all either.
Nobody said it was the ONLY reason, but it was A reason.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Paradeavenlisian States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Paradeavenlisian States » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:24 am

Wtf? Seriously? Quite outrageous if I have to say so myself! Why couldn't they at least plan a separate homeless shelter for men and another for women? That would surely solve the so-called rapist issue that may occur in those shelters as those officials seem to claim. According to the following study as well as many others, roughly 60.1% of homeless people are actually men and boys while 39.2% of homeless people are women and girls(the remaining 0.7% being transgender):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2018/12/29/homelessness-has-racial-gender-and-age-disparities/#121dbaf53c36
Paradiraneami Taihou | ParadeavenlisianStates | ᚚᚐᚏᚐᚇᚔᚏᚐᚅᚓᚐᚋᚔ ᚈᚐᚔᚆᚑᚒ
MAJOR OVERHAUL ONGOING

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:27 am

Novus America wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Don't pretend the objection to the shelter was solely driven by penis hate either.

Do not pretend “penis hate” was not involved at all either.
Nobody said it was the ONLY reason, but it was A reason.

Making it a women's only shelter was not the communities idea.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am

Paradeavenlisian States wrote:Wtf? Seriously? Quite outrageous if I have to say so myself! Why couldn't they at least plan a separate homeless shelter for men and another for women? That would surely solve the so-called rapist issue that may occur in those shelters as those officials seem to claim. According to the following study as well as many others, roughly 60.1% of homeless people are actually men and boys while 39.2% of homeless people are women and girls(the remaining 0.7% being transgender):
https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2018/12/29/homelessness-has-racial-gender-and-age-disparities/#121dbaf53c36

Because the community objected to a homeless shelter in general. So no, two shelters would not have solved the problem.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:37 am

Gormwood wrote:

You gotta ask yourself why though that politicians with staff and people who know the public will and whims thought "this will be easier if there's no penii allowed", and then ask why there's no backlash at the sexism therein aside from this thread.

I'm not saying that they love the concept of the shelter now, but if they made it an all white shelter to assuage the public, you would have to ask yourself why that was considered a viable option and why no one is complaining about the racism therein.
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:49 am

I...I can't think of any reason that someone would support this. This is not only a reflection of how capitulating to the "NIMBY" types causes disastrous results, but also shines a light on how many view homeless people, specifically white "liberals." All for looking pretty and progressive on social issues, but when it comes to affordable housing, shelter for the homeless, and proactive measures to mitigate homelessness, they often come up looking like John Birchers.

What a fucking mess, honestly.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:52 am

Galloism wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Naw, College Point embraced the shelter wholeheartedly once they said "No Penii Allowed".

You gotta ask yourself why though that politicians with staff and people who know the public will and whims thought "this will be easier if there's no penii allowed", and then ask why there's no backlash at the sexism therein aside from this thread.

I'm not saying that they love the concept of the shelter now, but if they made it an all white shelter to assuage the public, you would have to ask yourself why that was considered a viable option and why no one is complaining about the racism therein.

"It's a partial victory we don't have to have poor negroes in the neighborhood, but we'd really rather no poor whites either. Alas, it seems the media and politicians are no longer sympathetic to us now that we can't rant about how having poor black folk in the area will lead to riots."
Ostro.MOV

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Galloism wrote:You gotta ask yourself why though that politicians with staff and people who know the public will and whims thought "this will be easier if there's no penii allowed", and then ask why there's no backlash at the sexism therein aside from this thread.

"It's a partial victory we don't have to have poor negroes in the neighborhood, but we'd really rather no poor whites either. Alas, it seems the media and politicians are no longer sympathetic to us now that we can't rant about how having poor black folk in the area will lead to riots."

Except it is an Asian and hispanic neighborhood these days.

https://www.areavibes.com/new+york-ny/c ... ographics/

The amount of crap you are throwing about rich white people is just completely clueless, it's the poor Latin and Asian immigrants who dont want the shelter there.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:08 am

Well, this is sexist and immoral.

Fahran
Forum Moderator

Founded: Nov 13, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Fahran » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:09 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Except it is an Asian and hispanic neighborhood these days.

The amount of crap you are throwing about rich white people is just completely clueless, it's the poor Latin and Asian immigrants who dont want the shelter there.

Hello nuance, my old friend.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:11 am

Fahran wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Except it is an Asian and hispanic neighborhood these days.

Hello nuance, my old friend.

Not on this site, its bludgeon or nothin.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Estanglia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:14 am

Vassenor wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Like that's any better

I don't think anyone said it was. Just pointing out that the incident was being slanted to justify yet another tirade about how oppressed and victimised men are.

Because the unwanted shelter suddenly flipping to being female-only totally shows no hatred or discrimination or whatever against men because it's unwanted.

How about we ponder the question of 'Why did they think that making it female-only would solve anything'?
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General