NATION

PASSWORD

Islam Is Right About Women

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your hot take on this issue?

Islam is correct about the nature and role of women in society, and these attitudes are compatible with modern feminism and Western social mores.
3%
Islam is correct about the nature and role of women in society, but these attitudes/truths are incompatible with modern feminism and Western social mores.
6%
Islam's attitudes regarding women are regressive and problematic, and do not belong in modern Western society.
44%
The statement lacks sufficient nuance and thus I can neither confirm nor deny its accuracy.
14%
Fahran, why are you wasting your time writing lengthy posts about /pol/?
20%
I'm a sea sponge and have no opinion on this issue.
9%
I'm noncommital and thus want an "other" option.
5%

Total votes : 486

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:What people tend to believe about what Islam thinks of women is typically what people who are in power in Islamic places and masjids believe about women and don't actually speak to what the Quran actually says.

Adding onto this- Muslims in the US are probably more liberal and better integrated in the whole than those in European countries. What Islam thinks of women is basically just what practicing Muslims think of women.

To my knowledge there’s a movement within Islam called Quranism, which is arguably more liberal on gender relations in that it rejects the validity of hadiths (sayings attributed to the Prophet rather than God).
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:What people tend to believe about what Islam thinks of women is typically what people who are in power in Islamic places and masjids believe about women and don't actually speak to what the Quran actually says.

Adding onto this- Muslims in the US are probably more liberal and better integrated in the whole than those in European countries. What Islam thinks of women is basically just what practicing Muslims think of women.

In the Islamic DIscussion thread people got really, really, really upset if you dared suggest that the actual behaviour of muslims and not the literal Qu'ran texts are what defines the faith.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:16 am

Fahran wrote:
Bolivarian Amerikwa wrote:What? This is like saying the concept of opening a jar is unscientific because I put the lid back on.

Female sex organs do not work like the lids of jars or the corks on champagne bottles.

Bolivarian Amerikwa wrote:So we agree that chasteness can be considered part of "feminine virtue". It certainly helps keep pair bonding intact. Do you not see why people considering restrictions on women's level of chasteness being "inconvenient" and "not accommodating" because it won't let them do what they want as opposed to chasteness might motivate other people to put restrictions on women's behaviour? Every sedentary society with intensive agriculture, except maybe our modern one in the West (which has contraceptives) on paper, exhibits this to an extent, I don't think it's a coincidence. Is it bad? Men are shamed very hard for not being productive workers and expecting society to take care of them as if they have value for existing, that's their gender role and it is enforced by what could be called ostracism and confinement by social mores. I dunno if it's that bad, I doubt you disagree with the same stuff being applied to men. Feminism has not brought women in the West equal accountability for their actions and they don't seem to be complaining about that at all. As the spawn of a single mother for most of my childhood, the things you are advocating for in the place of a quite wholesome and time-tested form of social organisation because you feel it's "inconsiderate" to what big gamete people feel like doing right now has far-reaching individual and societal consequences. It also demonstrates why that form of social organisation exists in the first place.

My point is that these Islamic conventions restrict women, often unreasonably or unconveniently, while giving men a free pass, and create an environment in many cases that encourages misogyny, forced marriages, sexual harassment/assault, pederasty, and the confinement of women to the private sphere. In more extreme examples, we see the reoccurrence of the good woman/bad woman dynamic that sociologists have observed in Latin America whereby Muslim men may marry non-Muslim women, in times of war this includes forcefully, but Muslim women have no such right to marry non-Muslim men. Essentially, strict adherence to Islam comes with many drawbacks and is certainly not liberating to women in places where it previously did not occur. That's before we even get into limitations on education in many places. Like I said, it depends on the denomination and sect we're discussing. But Wahhabis are bad. Deobandis are bad.

Hey Latin America is an interesting case. Just like in Sub-Saharan Africa Arabs are a dominant ethnic group.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 am

My take?

Islam is right...about cats. Muhammad was a cat lover.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Previous

Return to General