NATION

PASSWORD

Why do we sanction North Korea?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:32 am

Conifer Grove wrote:My great aunt used to live and work in The U.S.S.R so I've had a secondhand experience with this.
It still doesn't change my view though that sanctions on NK are hypocritical

So they're hypocritical.

But they're not undeserved.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:44 am

Conifer Grove wrote:
Raider Clans wrote:Maybe it's because of the dictator who threatens to nuke everyone. Just a thought.

They've explicitly stated that they will only use them in self defense.

This is coming from the same regime that claims that it never started the Korean War and that it won the Korean War. Can you see why people have problems with believing what they say?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:47 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Conifer Grove wrote:

This is coming from the same regime that claims that it never started the Korean War and that it won the Korean War. Can you see why people have problems with believing what they say?

Is that the first example that crossed through your mind? How about just about anything they say about their own human rights record?
Also, they have an entire museum dedicated to fake American atrocities in the Korean War.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:52 am

Vivolkha wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This is coming from the same regime that claims that it never started the Korean War and that it won the Korean War. Can you see why people have problems with believing what they say?

Is that the first example that crossed through your mind?

Why not? They are the earliest examples of their lying and the longest running ones, and they are directly related to warfare, so they are the most pertinent examples...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:52 am

Conifer Grove wrote:

There's a difference between necessary, strategic defense calculations and propaganda, just saying.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 21, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 am

Conifer Grove wrote:My great aunt used to live and work in The U.S.S.R so I've had a secondhand experience with this.

The North Korean, Venezuelan and Cuban governments eternal undemocratic revolutions need to be overthrown one way or another, whatever it takes.

Let North Korea reunite with South Korea and Make Korea Great Again.

Make Venezuela and Cuba Great Again, I visited Venezuela about a year and a half before Chavez took power, to help my Cuban family members who emigrated to Venezuela legally the right way, just explaining my knowledge and connection to Venezuela and the Venezuelan People.

I have added my previous thread related post to my new post adding and contributing an extra statement above to the thread, I am not breaking any NS rules, just saying just in case.
Like I said:
lol, I'm a native Cuban, I used to work with 2 North Koreans, a Vietnamese Lady and a Nicaraguan Lady, on our hour long break we used to talk in English and share stories about our nations and we found out we had a lot in common, the dictatorship, the so called volunteer labor, the revolutions and no freedoms. The Vietnamese Lady's favorite saying is what I love most about America is the freedoms and that in America we are all Americans. The Nicaraguan Lady was a young university student in Nicaragua during the Sandinista Communist government, supported by the leftist Liberal Democrats in congress at the time, and Bernie Sanders, she was sent to Cuba by the Sandinista Communists to work on a Cuban government farm as so called voluntary labor, she had to sing and chant revolutionary songs and slogans like No Pasaran, they shall not Pass, she lost her 3 brothers fighting for the Contras in Nicaragua, lol.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:55 am

Arumdaum wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:This is coming from the same regime that claims that it never started the Korean War and that it won the Korean War. Can you see why people have problems with believing what they say?

There's a difference between necessary, strategic defense calculations and propaganda, just saying.

Spending a disproportionate amount of your limited budget (>25% iirc) on the army and on WMDs in particular are not "necessary strategic calculations".
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:58 am

Arumdaum wrote:

Not really. The lies are in the same basic area, i.e. warfare. If I repeatedly told lies about, say, the weather forecast, would it be reasonable to ever believe what I say on that subject?

Wave on, wave on

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:59 am

Vivolkha wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:There's a difference between necessary, strategic defense calculations and propaganda, just saying.

Spending a disproportionate amount of your limited budget (>25% iirc) on the army and on WMDs in particular are not "necessary strategic calculations".

The large military focus in North Korea is a way to deter any invasion from any of its neighbors. This became particularly apparent for North Korea following the US invasion of Iraq and the overthrow of Gaddafi in Libya, events which caused North Korea to pursue their attainment of nuclear weapons even more quickly.

There have also been arguments that North Korea's pursuit of nuclear weapons are also a way to spend reduce spending on its massive conventional military.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 am

Arumdaum wrote:There's a difference between necessary, strategic defense calculations and propaganda, just saying.

Not really. The lies are in the same basic area, i.e. warfare. If I repeatedly told lies about, say, the weather forecast, would it be reasonable to ever believe what I say on that subject?

The Korean War was in the past and its claims of both initial US aggression and NK's own victory are a way to paint the US as an aggressor and to help legitimize the current regime's rule. In other words, it's mostly about history and legitimacy, even though the subject is what happened during a war.

Nuclear weapons, on the other hand, are a sensitive topic with significant international consequences.

One is meant for an internal audience. The other, while still having internal propaganda value, is primarily for external reasons. They're different.

Anostas
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 23, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Anostas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 am

This has led to sanctions being imposed:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2w&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 0G&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sIdsn-28qR

For the same reason, Afghanistan, occupied Kosovo, Iraq and Libya were destroyed because of damn American belligerent imperialism.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:04 am

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:

The North Korean, Venezuelan and Cuban governments eternal undemocratic revolutions need to be overthrown one way or another, whatever it takes.

It's not that easy, and the US and most of Latin America have wasted the opportunity to militarily overthrow Maduro.
Also, there are a lot more governments that deserve to be on that list - without leaving America, there's Ortega's Nicaragua as well.

Diplomat

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 am

Neanderthaland wrote:

So they're hypocritical.

I agree they are not undeserved.

The problem with overthrowing North Korea are the nuclear arms and a crazy evil leader, even anti government rebels might cause the crazy evil dictator to use them against South Korea, if he really is as crazy in an evil way as his reputation is, the evil dictator part is natural.
Miami Shores is a Province of Greater La Habana Cuba, and La Habana Cuba is a regional Province of Greater Miami Shores, democratic capitalist Republic.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:06 am

Anostas wrote:This has led to sanctions being imposed:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 2w&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 0G&ampcf=1

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... sIdsn-28qR

For the same reason, Afghanistan, occupied Kosovo, Iraq and Libya were destroyed because of damn American belligerent imperialism.

I think it's only fairly recently this was found out, and American aggression toward North Korea started well before this. The bigger reason appears to be the prevention of nuclear proliferation and the excuse that North Korea provides the US to have troops and missile systems placed near China, which the US sees as a threat.

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:06 am

The USSR had 25-30 million slaves at any time during its existence. At least the "hypocritical" west doesn't have 10% of it's population in work camps and the rest 1 order away from execution.
Last edited by -Ocelot- on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:06 am

Purpelia wrote:That's all nice and well but you people are not answering the OP's question. He did not say that the DPRK was a good place to live. Just that on paper it seems no more shitty than many of the places the west gleefully calls their ally.

The mistake people are making here is that the sanctions are due to human rights abuses... In general and perhaps unfortunately, the world isn't concerned with this enough to take strong action against it.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:10 am

-Ocelot- wrote:

The USSR had 25-30 million slaves at any time during its existence. At least the "hypocritical" west doesn't have 10% of it's population on work camps and the rest 1 order away from execution.

No. The figure is correct for the Stalinist era, but afterwards the number was much less. The USSR had better ways to get rid of "undesirable" people, for example punitive psychiatry. Arguably, the conditions that every Soviet worker faced already made them slaves.

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:So they're hypocritical.

I agree they are not undeserved.

The problem with overthrowing North Korea are the nuclear arms and a crazy evil leader, even anti government rebels might cause the crazy evil dictator to use them against South Korea, if he really is as crazy in an evil way as his reputation is, the evil dictator part is natural.

Totalitarian governments like this can only be overthrown from above, USSR style. No foreign intervention or popular revolution will do.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Why do we sanction North Korea?

Postby Parhe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:11 am

Purpelia wrote:That's all nice and well but you people are not answering the OP's question. He did not say that the DPRK was a good place to live. Just that on paper it seems no more shitty than many of the places the west gleefully calls their ally.

Cause the sanctions have little to do with human rights and more to do with North Korea actively threatening an ally, South Korea (among others), which it also invaded in the 1950s. Regardless, people are largely responding to the claims made in the OP. It is difficult to believe North Korea's claims that it will only use nuclear weapons in self defense when it pretends the Korean War was entirely self defense and make threats to turn Seoul, a civilian target, into a sea of fire. While I don't believe the North Korean regime to be as "stupid" as many other Westerners, I wouldn't be surprised if a desperate enough North Korea used nuclear weapons as a last resort in an offensive war and lie to itself that it was also self defense. The US' invasion of Iraq is irrelevant when North Korea's serious pursuit of nukes predates the USSR's collapse.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:12 am

Arumdaum wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Not really. The lies are in the same basic area, i.e. warfare. If I repeatedly told lies about, say, the weather forecast, would it be reasonable to ever believe what I say on that subject?

The Korean War was in the past and its claims of both initial US aggression and NK's own victory are a way to paint the US as an aggressor and to help legitimize the current regime's rule. In other words, it's mostly about history and legitimacy, even though the subject is what happened during a war.

Nuclear weapons, on the other hand, are a sensitive topic with significant international consequences.

One is meant for an internal audience. The other, while still having internal propaganda value, is primarily for external reasons. They're different.

No they aren't. If they repeatedly lie about something related to warfare over a 70 year period, then their credibility is wafer thin in that area.

Wave on, wave on

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:13 am

Arumdaum wrote:The Korean War was in the past and its claims of both initial US aggression and NK's own victory are a way to paint the US as an aggressor and to help legitimize the current regime's rule. In other words, it's mostly about history and legitimacy, even though the subject is what happened during a war.

No they aren't. If they repeatedly lie about something related to warfare over a 70 year period, then their credibility is wafer thin in that area.

Why do you think they're so intimately related and why do you think NK would offensively use nuclear weapons?

Anostas
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Anostas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:14 am

What are they missing from Totalitarianism? I am the founder of the Totalitarian Region.

Diplomat

Postby Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:14 am

Vivolkha wrote:
-Ocelot- wrote:
The USSR had 25-30 million slaves at any time during its existence. At least the "hypocritical" west doesn't have 10% of it's population on work camps and the rest 1 order away from execution.

No. The figure is correct for the Stalinist era, but afterwards the number was much less. The USSR had better ways to get rid of "undesirable" people, for example punitive psychiatry. Arguably, the conditions that every Soviet worker faced already made them slaves.

Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba wrote:I agree they are not undeserved.

Totalitarian governments like this can only be overthrown from above, USSR style. No foreign intervention or popular revolution will do.

Good point internal revolution within the government like in the USSR and a military coup d'état.
Last edited by Greater Miami Shores and La Habana Cuba on Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:15 am

Anostas wrote:What are they missing from Totalitarianism? I am the founder of the Totalitarian Region.

what

Anostas
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Anostas » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:17 am

Arumdaum wrote:
Anostas wrote:What are they missing from Totalitarianism? I am the founder of the Totalitarian Region.

what

Wrong translation
This is a real translation:

What's wrong with Totalitarianism

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:20 am

Arumdaum wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No they aren't. If they repeatedly lie about something related to warfare over a 70 year period, then their credibility is wafer thin in that area.

Why do you think they're so intimately related and why do you think NK would offensively use nuclear weapons?

Because they are both closely related to warfare, and they lie repeatedly and over a protracted period. Seriously man, this isn't rocket science (Alright, it actually is, but still...). NK follows the same Soviet-style methodology in warfare, which would not have hesitated to use nuclear weapons to punch holes in the enemy defensive line, and there is a pretty big defensive line facing NK...

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General