NATION

PASSWORD

Korea-Japan Trade War and Security Repercussions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think?

Japanese corporations should comply with the SK court ruling
21%
Japanese corporations should not comply with the SK court ruling
7%
Japan should undo its trade restrictions
18%
Japan should stick to its trade restrictions
4%
SK should renew participation in GSOMIA
15%
SK should not renew participation in GSOMIA
5%
SK should find a way to overturn the Supreme Court ruling
3%
SK should enforce the court ruling
21%
Other
5%

Total votes : 91

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 am

It'd be much easier to be on Japan's side if they didn't constantly deny their war time atrocities.

Saiwania wrote:100% on Japan's side on this. Japan is greater than Korea based off the quality of their respective histories, so far as which developed the most first. South Korea should be content with ranking above China in terms of ancestral prestige. That is the Korean people's role in my view. To be a genetic bridge people between Japan and China that keeps both peoples separated out enough. If I consider Japan to be greater than China, I'd say Korea is below Japan but above China.

It'll be a sad day indeed, if I have no choice one of these days, but to acknowledge China as being greater than either. I'd much rather Japan had much of their empire back, than for that to happen, which appears almost inevitable given the world's choice to keep showering China with money to produce everything so cheaply.

China only ever grows more powerful every year, and they really do need a great fall for the world to be in a truly right place from my perspective.

What the hell are you on about?
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 am

Personally, the southern provinces of Korea should enforce the court ruling to allow the forced laborers to sue Japanese corporations. However, I do feel that maybe the southern provinces of Korea had the right idea in not renewing the GSOMIA agreement, especially with Abe's increasing determination to remilitarize Japan, and what with the USA's words not even worth the paper it is on anymore (*cough* Iran *cough* NAFTA *cough*).

As for the Japanese corporations, while it is really up to them whether to comply (until the authorities in the southern provinces of Korea enforce the ruling), they'd certainly gain a lot of goodwill among Koreans if they apologized and provided compensation to those who were forced to work for them, and their descendants. Also, Japan should undo its trade restrictions with the southern provinces of Korea.
Last edited by Luziyca on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 am

Num Vent wrote:
New haven america wrote:Korea's existed for longer than Japan and is home to the most widely spoken language isolate in the world.

Korea even ruled over large swaths of China at one point.

What is the evidence there was a Korea prior to 20th century?

Also, even North Korean ideology is basically plagiarised from Japanese ideology of World War II.

Answer language. Read - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreanic_languages
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:24 am

Num Vent wrote:
New haven america wrote:Korea's existed for longer than Japan and is home to the most widely spoken language isolate in the world.

Also, even North Korean ideology is basically plagiarised from Japanese ideology of World War II.

You do know the Korean kingdom of Paekche took writing and Buddism to Japan. After the Kingdom fell to the Korean Kingdom of Silla, many citizens of Paekche who had skills fled to Japan. They brought many new tools and ways of doing things to Japan. Proof - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uFdigzjTsc&t=5m37s
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 am

Num Vent wrote:

What are you on about?..

If you're talking about a culture and civilization that can be tracked to the past, then you have records on Koreans dating back thousands of years.

If you're talking about modern ideas among the masses regarding national identity, then you could make the same argument about Japan, in which Japanese identity only became a thing among most people following the Meiji Restoration and compulsory education. Also, this argument could be made to stem to virtually every modern country in the world prior to the creation of modern nationalism.

If you mean to discuss recognition that they were fairly different from their neighbors, then Koreans had that when encountering people who spoke different languages, wore different clothes, had different customs, and so on.

If you mean intellectual ideas regarding Korea, then that goes back ages. The Samguk Yusa, a collection of accounts from Korean history published in the 1280s, traces Korean history back to 2333 BCE (likely inaccurate date) with Gojoseon. Joseon kings traced Korea's birth from Wiman Joseon in 194 BCE, when a Chinese general came to Korea, overthrew the native Korean king and "civilized" the country. King Sejong made Hangul in the 1400s as he specifically stated that the people of Korea are distinct from China, and speak a different language. Modern nationalist intellectuals also became a thing in the late 19th century as they encountered ideas from other parts of Asia and the West.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:52 pm

Side 3 wrote:It'd be much easier to be on Japan's side if they didn't constantly deny their war time atrocities.

They do and they don't. It's a complicated situation that would be much easier if politicians would keep their mouths shut, but good luck with that. Officially, Japan does not deny it.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Acitsusima
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Acitsusima » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:57 pm

Saiwania wrote:100% on Japan's side on this. Japan is greater than Korea based off the quality of their respective histories, so far as which developed the most first. South Korea should be content with ranking above China in terms of ancestral prestige. That is the Korean people's role in my view. To be a genetic bridge people between Japan and China that keeps both peoples separated out enough. If I consider Japan to be greater than China, I'd say Korea is below Japan but above China.

It'll be a sad day indeed, if I have no choice one of these days, but to acknowledge China as being greater than either. I'd much rather Japan had much of their empire back, than for that to happen, which appears almost inevitable given the world's choice to keep showering China with money to produce everything so cheaply.

China only ever grows more powerful every year, and they really do need a great fall for the world to be in a truly right place from my perspective.

that's a bruh momento right there
Empire of Akitsu
世界平和
Gigaverse's alt

Side 3
Envoy

Founded: Jul 07, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Side 3 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:03 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Side 3 wrote:It'd be much easier to be on Japan's side if they didn't constantly deny their war time atrocities.

They do and they don't. It's a complicated situation that would be much easier if politicians would keep their mouths shut, but good luck with that. Officially, Japan does not deny it.

True, but they also officially scrub their history books of it, and their prime minister officially believes that comfort women weren't forced into sex slavery. Furthermore, his party is pretty much the most powerful one in Japan. Denying their atrocities may not be their official stance, but it's pretty damn close to it.
Sieg Zeon!

REDCON-1

ZeoNet Channel 2:

January 22nd, 0097: Stocks in the Zimmad Corporation have gone down by 5% today, following the military's decision to halt its purchase of the company's latest mobile armor. The unnamed mobile armor has been rumored to have been in development for the past 6 years, and would've been worth roughly $150 million.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Side 3 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:They do and they don't. It's a complicated situation that would be much easier if politicians would keep their mouths shut, but good luck with that. Officially, Japan does not deny it.

True, but they also officially scrub their history books of it, and their prime minister officially believes that comfort women weren't forced into sex slavery. Furthermore, his party is pretty much the most powerful one in Japan. Denying their atrocities may not be their official stance, but it's pretty damn close to it.

No they don't. It's still in the books. And no he doesn't. Officially, Abe has not renounced or stated that he rejects any of the past statements or conclusions that Japan did.

What his private thoughts are is anyone's guess. He's stated things in the past, but has stated something else since becoming PM again. I don't like Abe, but he ain't stupid.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Nogodia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nogodia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Ah yes, the idiot can always be relied on for bad history and a dose of blood pressure.
And I even oppose Chinese policies...

Num Vent wrote:

I literally just had an aneurysm because of this.
How fucking stupid can you be as to not know or look up the fact that Japan colonized the Korean Empire, proclaimed in 1897, which was the direct successor state of the Joseon Dynasty, which was founded in 1392.
You wanna go back even further? Joseon was founded out of Goryeo, which was founded in 918 CE. Goryeo was overthrown in an internal coup, so there's no "foreigners conquered it" excuse.

Korean nations existed long before the 20th century.
End of story, no denial.

INB4 someone says: "But Nog, you're Korean, you must be biased!"
No. I'm only interjecting here because the two above individuals clearly have no idea about Korea and needed a verbal ass-whooping. I would have no qualms about getting the same treatment if I fucked up on writing about any other country.
Last edited by Nogodia on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Does NOT use NS Stats. RP Name 1252-1982: Nogodrick. 0-1252 and 1982-Present: Alsesia
Nation partially represents real views.
Vaukiai wrote:I am sure that if I say everything the opposite, you don't warn me.

This forum is a jewish dictatorship.

BLASNIAENIA wrote:
Inven wrote:A major threat, especially for small islands nation like Tuvalu

Can't they move?

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Trixtoria wrote:
BlueSteel does NOT support the institution of slavery. We thank you for you interest.

Why not?

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 pm

From a geopolitical standpoint, Japan ought to get the two Koreas to go at it and then do again what they did before 1910. A reunited Koreas under Japan would give them an economy twice as large, and thus in a position to challenge not only China but also the United States in the long run.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Nogodia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nogodia » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:From a geopolitical standpoint, Japan ought to get the two Koreas to go at it and then do again what they did before 1910. A reunited Koreas under Japan would give them an economy twice as large, and thus in a position to challenge not only China but also the United States in the long run.

That's 75 million people who immensely dislike Japanese colonialism, who are about to be stuck back under Japan's foot.
Unless you want to see some kind of mass riot in the Koreas/Korea, this is a terrible idea.

One thing I've noticed from this thread is a clean-cut lack of understanding about Korea by people.
We're not Japanese.
We're not Chinese.
We have (almost always been) and will now almost always be an independent nation with its own language (yes, it's related to Chinese), culture, ethnicity (yes, we are related to the Chinese, Turks, and Japanese), and economy.

Fusing us with Japan is one of the dumbest ideas possible. Economic and military community? Sure. Same nation? Not until the Japanese issue a good apology, and maybe about 3 decades of continuous good ties afterward.
Last edited by Nogodia on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Does NOT use NS Stats. RP Name 1252-1982: Nogodrick. 0-1252 and 1982-Present: Alsesia
Nation partially represents real views.
Vaukiai wrote:I am sure that if I say everything the opposite, you don't warn me.

This forum is a jewish dictatorship.

BLASNIAENIA wrote:
Inven wrote:A major threat, especially for small islands nation like Tuvalu

Can't they move?

Munkcestrian Republic wrote:
Trixtoria wrote:
BlueSteel does NOT support the institution of slavery. We thank you for you interest.

Why not?

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

Nogodia wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:From a geopolitical standpoint, Japan ought to get the two Koreas to go at it and then do again what they did before 1910. A reunited Koreas under Japan would give them an economy twice as large, and thus in a position to challenge not only China but also the United States in the long run.

That's 75 million people who immensely dislike Japanese colonialism, who are about to be stuck back under Japan's foot.
Unless you want to see some kind of mass riot in the Koreas/Korea, this is a terrible idea.

One thing I've noticed from this thread is a clean-cut lack of understanding about Korea by people.
We're not Japanese.
We're not Chinese.
We have (almost always been) and will now almost always be an independent nation with its own language (yes, it's related to Chinese), culture, ethnicity (yes, we are related to the Chinese, Turks, and Japanese), and economy.

Fusing us with Japan is one of the dumbest ideas possible. Economic and military community? Sure. Same nation? Not until the Japanese issue a good apology, and maybe about 3 decades of continuous good ties afterward.

The Korean language, despite having a large amount of loanwords from Chinese, has no genetic relation to Chinese...

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm

why did i make this thread lol

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm

I’m sure that wouldn’t spill over, cost them political capital, or backfire at all.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:42 pm

Kowani wrote:

I’m sure that wouldn’t spill over, cost them political capital, or backfire at all.

It just depends. It's not 1941 at least, so they don't have to worry about the Euros or Russians.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:Ah, that wasn't Chinese at the time, so sounded misleading.

Referring to Goguryeo as Korea is also extremely anachronistic, especially when there were a bunch of other Korean kingdoms on the peninsula at the time. It's not really relevant to the issues that Joseon Korea faced, with the thousand years time distance between them, but misinformation is annoying.

Anachronistic yes, but in the same way that historical Chinese kingdoms and dynasties were also "Chinese." His point, that Korea existed prior to the 20th century, is still pretty valid.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Kowani wrote:I’m sure that wouldn’t spill over, cost them political capital, or backfire at all.

It just depends. It's not 1941 at least, so they don't have to worry about the Euros or Russians.

why doesnt iran fuse with turkey

why doesnt poland fuse with germany

why doesnt thailand fuse with india

lmao what are you on about

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:43 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:

why doesnt iran fuse with turkey

why doesnt poland fuse with germany

why doesnt thailand fuse with india

lmao what are you on about

Poland and Germany should unite, says Lech Walesa
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:39 am

Arumdaum wrote:
Hanafuridake wrote:
Referring to Goguryeo as Korea is also extremely anachronistic, especially when there were a bunch of other Korean kingdoms on the peninsula at the time. It's not really relevant to the issues that Joseon Korea faced, with the thousand years time distance between them, but misinformation is annoying.

Anachronistic yes, but in the same way that historical Chinese kingdoms and dynasties were also "Chinese." His point, that Korea existed prior to the 20th century, is still pretty valid.

No one disputed that there were historical Korean kingdoms, but Korean national identity is relatively new. Before Japan annexed the peninsula, the Joseon kingdom viewed itself as a miniature China.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:07 am

Hanafuridake wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Anachronistic yes, but in the same way that historical Chinese kingdoms and dynasties were also "Chinese." His point, that Korea existed prior to the 20th century, is still pretty valid.

No one disputed that there were historical Korean kingdoms, but Korean national identity is relatively new. Before Japan annexed the peninsula, the Joseon kingdom viewed itself as a miniature China.

It's new in the sense that all national identities are new and only really emerged beginning in the 19th century, Korea and Japan (both late 19th century) included.

Korea saw itself as a miniature China in a similar manner as to how the Ottoman Empire and Russia saw themselves as a continuation of Rome.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:50 am

I think the EU, Russia, America and China should exploit the tensions and sell a YUUUGE lot of weapons to both Japan and SK. It's good for the former countries' economy, and that justifies it. Make Economy Great Again!
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:58 am

Nogodia wrote:
Saiwania wrote:*snip*

Ah yes, the idiot can always be relied on for bad history and a dose of blood pressure.
And I even oppose Chinese policies...

Num Vent wrote:*snip*

I literally just had an aneurysm because of this.
How fucking stupid can you be as to not know or look up the fact that Japan colonized the Korean Empire, proclaimed in 1897, which was the direct successor state of ...

This is that *** warning for flaming *** you wanted. No more outbursts, please.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 am

Totally Not OEP wrote:
Kowani wrote:I’m sure that wouldn’t spill over, cost them political capital, or backfire at all.

No they just need to worry about China and the US two of the most powerful nations in the world along with most of Korea being united against a common enemy who they have bad blood with.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Pasong Tirad
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2007
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pasong Tirad » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am

Millions of people were systematically raped, tortured, and massacred because of the Japanese Empire but go off on your whole "quality of their history" tangent I suppose.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General