NATION

PASSWORD

Korea-Japan Trade War and Security Repercussions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

What do you think?

Japanese corporations should comply with the SK court ruling
21%
Japanese corporations should not comply with the SK court ruling
7%
Japan should undo its trade restrictions
18%
Japan should stick to its trade restrictions
4%
SK should renew participation in GSOMIA
15%
SK should not renew participation in GSOMIA
5%
SK should find a way to overturn the Supreme Court ruling
3%
SK should enforce the court ruling
21%
Other
5%

Total votes : 91

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Korea-Japan Trade War and Security Repercussions

Postby Arumdaum » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:28 am

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolit ... tself-foot
https://www.undispatch.com/japan-and-so ... lications/
http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_ ... 99616.html
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190725000414

This has been going on for a while and you can probably find several articles on it.

For about a month, Korea and Japan have been engaged in a trade war, again from issues stemming back to WWII. Back in June, the Korean Supreme Court ruled that forced laborers during WWII could sue Japanese corporations they were conscripted to work for, such as Mitsubishi and Japan Iron and Steel Co., and ruled in favor of the plaintiffs in a case lasting a decade.

Prime Minister Abe's government told the corporations to ignore the court ruling, arguing that everything relating to the colonial era was settled in the 1965 Normalization Agreement under the dictatorship of Park Chung-hee, a former officer of the Imperial Japanese Army. Korea's position is that while it ruled that the Korean government can no longer seek claims from Japan, that the agreement never applied to individuals making claims. In response, the Korean government announced that it would seize assets of these companies in order to enforce the court ruling. In turn, Japan removed Korea from its trade whitelist and restricted the export of key chemicals required to produce semiconductors, which is Korea's largest export. The value of the won has since dropped a decent amount. As trade restrictions are not allowed by the WTO apart from security reasons, Japan's official argument has been that the restrictions are due to the possibility that Japanese exports to South Korea could end up in North Korea, where it may be used to build weapons, thus posing a security risk. However, this is a pretty shaky argument most recognize that the real reason for Japan's trade restrictions are due to the court ruling.

This has resulted in a boycott of Japanese products in Korea that most people in the country are participating in and Korea in turn removing Japan from its own trade whitelist. Furthermore, Korea has chosen not to renew its participation in GSOMIA, an intelligence sharing agreement between Korea and Japan which was heavily encouraged by the US. The US strongly seeks to deepen ties between SK and Japan to use them as a balance against China, but to the chagrin of many Koreans, generally always takes the side of Japan in disputes.

--

Personally, I take the side of Korea. In 1965, Japan refused to acknowledge that the money and loans (provided at preferential rates) were reparations, arguing that it was simply economic aid. Furthermore, there is nothing the current Moon administration can do to overrule the Supreme Court due to the system of separation of powers in place. If Japan refuses to allow its corporations to provide compensation to living forced laborers for the forced labor provided for those corporations, then it'll become even more difficult to resolve once all those laborers, now very elderly, pass away.

While Korea has taken a lot of shit from the US for withdrawing from GSOMIA, I don't think it changes much. GSOMIA was in place for less than three years, and from what I've read there were several problems in its implementation anyway. Furthermore, I don't see why SK should be sharing sensitive intelligence with Japan if Japan is placing trade restrictions on inputs critical for the Korean economy for reasons of security risk, even though it seems more like Trump placing trade restrictions on Canada after declaring them a national security risk, despite that not really being the case.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:46 am

Japan has a right to protect its company's from economic harm via lawsuits.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 am

It is very asian not wanting to loose face by acknowledging past mistakes.

SK could have been satisfied with the compromise of 1965. But I do sympathize with Korea.
The victims never were acknowledged by their wrongdoers. And never received any apology.

It will be a great incentive for Korean industry to produce their own fluorinated polyimide, hydrogen fluoride and resists.

Napkizemlja
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkizemlja » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 am

Tbh the Koreans are in the right here.
Don't cry because it's coming to an end, smile because it happened.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am

Num Vent wrote:From my understandind despite the attrocities the Japnese comiteed in Korea they also build a lot of infrastructure there like schools, roads and an economy. Korean national indenitity is also new and developed only in the last 100 years. Korea is something like Belgium or Ukraine. The Korean president was also serving in the Japanese army, which is another proof.

Wow!! So wrong...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Korea
Last edited by Thepeopl on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

GlobalControl
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby GlobalControl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:30 am

Arumdaum wrote:https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/3016980/japan-south-korea-trade-war-has-tokyo-shot-itself-foot

This has been going on for a while and you can probably find several articles on it.

For about a month, Korea and Japan have been engaged in a trade war, again from issues stemming back to WWII. Back in June, the Korean Supreme Court ruled that forced laborers during WWII could sue Japanese corporations they were conscripted to work for, such as Mitsubishi and Japan Iron and Steel Co., and ruled in favor of the plaintiffs in a case lasting a decade.

Prime Minister Abe's government told the corporations to ignore the court ruling, arguing that everything relating to the colonial era was settled in the 1965 Normalization Agreement under the dictatorship of Park Chung-hee, a former officer of the Imperial Japanese Army. Korea's position is that while it ruled that the Korean government can no longer seek claims from Japan, that the agreement never applied to individuals making claims. In response, the Korean government announced that it would seize assets of these companies in order to enforce the court ruling. In turn, Japan removed Korea from its trade whitelist and restricted the export of key chemicals required to produce semiconductors, which is Korea's largest export. The value of the won has since dropped a decent amount. As trade restrictions are not allowed by the WTO apart from security reasons, Japan's official argument has been that the restrictions are due to the possibility that Japanese exports to South Korea could end up in North Korea, where it may be used to build weapons, thus posing a security risk. However, this is a pretty shaky argument most recognize that the real reason for Japan's trade restrictions are due to the court ruling.

This has resulted in a boycott of Japanese products in Korea that most people in the country are participating in and Korea in turn removing Japan from its own trade whitelist. Furthermore, Korea has chosen not to renew its participation in GSOMIA, an intelligence sharing agreement between Korea and Japan which was heavily encouraged by the US. The US strongly seeks to deepen ties between SK and Japan to use them as a balance against China, but to the chagrin of many Koreans, generally always takes the side of Japan in disputes.

--

Personally, I take the side of Korea. In 1965, Japan refused to acknowledge that the money and loans (provided at preferential rates) were reparations, arguing that it was simply economic aid. Furthermore, there is nothing the current Moon administration can do to overrule the Supreme Court due to the system of separation of powers in place. If Japan refuses to allow its corporations to provide compensation to living forced laborers for the forced labor provided for those corporations, then it'll become even more difficult to resolve once all those laborers, now very elderly, pass away.

While Korea has taken a lot of shit from the US for withdrawing from GSOMIA, I don't think it changes much. GSOMIA was in place for less than three years, and from what I've read there were several problems in its implementation anyway. Furthermore, I don't see why SK should be sharing sensitive intelligence with Japan if Japan is placing trade restrictions on inputs critical for the Korean economy for reasons of security risk, even though it seems more like Trump placing trade restrictions on Canada after declaring them a national security risk, despite that not really being the case.

I side more with Japan, but I can understand the Korean side as well.
Frankly though I don't see why people are suing Japanese corporations in Korea 80 years later. It seems kinda like there isn't really much of a point to it other than just the money, but I can and probably am wrong in that regard, and it could be something like PTSD and some form of justice to the person who sued.

It is a bit unfair to the Japanese, given that being forced to pay reparations to people who won't be alive much longer frankly, but at the same time these corporations did take people as forced laborers and use them throughout the 1930s and on, likely earlier. So there probably should be some reparations paid.

I also don't care if the money was or wasn't labeled reparations, its been like 50 years since the agreement and that sum of money was rendered and it should in some manner count for reparations, at least as far as I think.

Thepeopl wrote:
Num Vent wrote:From my understandind despite the attrocities the Japnese comiteed in Korea they also build a lot of infrastructure there like schools, roads and an economy. Korean national indenitity is also new and developed only in the last 100 years. Korea is something like Belgium or Ukraine. The Korean president was also serving in the Japanese army, which is another proof.

Wow!! So wrong...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Korea

You seem like a great person to debate with.

That is sarcasm, take it badly if you want.
The Anderan Confederacy
Historical Archive: The Long War | BlueBox Comms

OOC:
2014-2023 | Veteran of NS, formerly cringe, currently 'tired and apathetic'. | I am, unfortunately, a furry.| If you don't want a cat to scratch your furniture, don't get a cat. | If it weren't obvious NS Stats are not canon.
Discord: voxapollyon

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 am

GlobalControl wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/geopolitics/article/3016980/japan-south-korea-trade-war-has-tokyo-shot-itself-foot

--

Frankly though I don't see why people are suing Japanese corporations in Korea 80 years later. It seems kinda like there isn't really much of a point to it other than just the money, but I can and probably am wrong in that regard, and it could be something like PTSD and some form of justice to the person who sued.

It is a bit unfair to the Japanese, given that being forced to pay reparations to people who won't be alive much longer frankly, but at the same time these corporations did take people as forced laborers and use them throughout the 1930s and on, likely earlier. So there probably should be some reparations paid.

I also don't care if the money was or wasn't labeled reparations, its been like 50 years since the agreement and that sum of money was rendered and it should in some manner count for reparations, at least as far as I think.

Pride and honor is something that is still held in high regard across most of Asia. The Korea - Japan conflict isn't just about forced labor but also the atrocities committed against Koreans by the Japanese during/around WW2 including the issue of forced conscription of Koreans into the military and the "comfort women battalions" of Asian sex slaves for the Japanese. These scars run deep but I'm certain Korea will hash something out with the Japanese eventually. China and NoKo are to big of a threat to ignore for either of them.
I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

GlobalControl
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GlobalControl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

The Chuck wrote:
GlobalControl wrote:

Pride and honor is something that is still held in high regard across most of Asia. The Korea - Japan conflict isn't just about forced labor but also the atrocities committed against Koreans by the Japanese during/around WW2 including the issue of forced conscription of Koreans into the military and the "comfort women battalions" of Asian sex slaves for the Japanese. These scars run deep but I'm certain Korea will hash something out with the Japanese eventually. China and NoKo are to big of a threat to ignore for either of them.

Such is true, yeah.
Asia is a different beast to that of Europe and so on.
Honor after all doesn't exist on the European continent

Got me here.
And yeah I hope so, I would rather they trade with each other and not stop trading entirely over this. If not for any other reason than to simply trade, then to have a stronger economic tie to one another and be economically able to near out-compete the Chinese and defend against North Korea, which is a threat to both, at least in passing to the Japanese.
The Anderan Confederacy

OOC:
2014-2023 | Veteran of NS, formerly cringe, currently 'tired and apathetic'. | I am, unfortunately, a furry.| If you don't want a cat to scratch your furniture, don't get a cat. | If it weren't obvious NS Stats are not canon.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:46 am

Isn't this something to be adjudicated in the international court?

Also reminder the Japan always has the option of recognizing North Korea.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:10 pm

GlobalControl wrote:

Why thank you.
I was really baffled by the claim that Korean identity was only 100 years old. And Korea compared to Belgium/ Ukraine. Really blew my mind.
So I didn't trust myself to keep the discussion civilised. That is why the link to wikipedia was what I added.

Koreans do have to thank the Japanese for exploiting their natural resources, this is why koreans where very environment minded when they were independent again.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:58 pm

--

The wounds run deep and I feel that although I understand Korea’s sentiments because a lot happened to them during WWII at the hands of the Japanese, I also understand Japan seeking to protect their companies too. I also understand that this is deeper and more complex than just the trade issues. I have no idea as to what can be done.

One thing that must be remembered however is that the Japanese and Koreans of today are not the same as those in WWII.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:09 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

--

The wounds run deep and I feel that although I understand Korea’s sentiments because a lot happened to them during WWII at the hands of the Japanese, I also understand Japan seeking to protect their companies too. I also understand that this is deeper and more complex than just the trade issues. I have no idea as to what can be done.

One thing that must be remembered however is that the Japanese and Koreans of today are not the same as those in WWII.

The Koreans suing are literally the people who were in WWII.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Kowani wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The Koreans suing are literally the people who were in WWII.

My statement stands in that those being sued are probably not the same people who were at the head of those companies during WWII.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Kowani
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kowani wrote:The Koreans suing are literally the people who were in WWII.

My statement stands in that those being sued are probably not the same people who were at the head of those companies during WWII.

That’s why they’re suing the corporation, and not the people.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:15 pm

Kowani wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

That’s why they’re suing the corporation, and not the people.

Those corporations and their policies have also probably changed since WWII.
Slava Ukraini

Kowani
Post Czar

Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kowani wrote:That’s why they’re suing the corporation, and not the people.

And?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Kowani wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

And?

Seems odd to sue them then for their past.
Slava Ukraini

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:36 pm

As a practical matter what happens in these kinds of situations is that the ROK will pile up some number of its citizens' claims, press them with the Japanese and arrive at some kind of global settlement. It may be nice to think that the courts of one nation can enforce judgements against the nationals of a different nation but there's nothing in international law that compels that at all.

Had the US not been debilitated by allowing the Electoral College to install a narcissistic, infantile sociopath in the Oval Office it could conceivably help its two most important allies in Asia resolve their dispute. But in the event, unless there's some personal benefit to Trump in any of this, it won't get involved, instead growing weaker while its adversaries grow stronger and its allies make plans for a world where the US doesn't count.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:45 pm

South Korea changes its mind too often about preexisting agreements and tears them up when it thinks it can get a better deal. If Abe wasn't known to harbor atrocity denialist conspiracy theories, most people would probably realize how tiresome this is.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:South Korea changes its mind too often about preexisting agreements and tears them up when it thinks it can get a better deal. If Abe wasn't known to harbor atrocity denialist conspiracy theories, most people would probably realize how tiresome this is.

The interesting part is that they’re so close geographically and there’s a lot of travel, business and Koreans working in Japan and vice versa, it would be great if they could bury the hatchet finally.
Slava Ukraini

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:13 pm

This seems like an issue that should be decided in an international court like the UN. But I do find myself with the Koreans here. The Japanese including these companies committed utterly horrific atrocities in Korea and I do understand why they wish to sue them. But on the other hand I do understand Japan wanting to protect their companies here.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Arumdaum wrote:Personally, I take the side of Korea. In 1965, Japan refused to acknowledge that the money and loans (provided at preferential rates) were reparations, arguing that it was simply economic aid. Furthermore, there is nothing the current Moon administration can do to overrule the Supreme Court due to the system of separation of powers in place.

I have a number of things to do today so I cannot really go into details, I just wanted to address this.

1. This is false. In 1965, Japan offered to pay individual reparations, it was South Korea who insisted that it, and it alone, would take the money as economic aid and handle any and all individual claims. It took the money and ran. Now, it can be argued (Or conveniently forgotten about if you happen to be South Korea), that said money is what allowed South Korea to rebuild after the Korean war and without it, it probably wouldn't have survived, or at least thrived. But Japan DID offer and the treaty is very clear that the money offered is meant to be viewed as such.

2. This is also false, Korea could pass a law and/or amend its constitution to acknowledge this. It's also worth noting that until last year, the Korean courts had previously ruled that yes, the treaty did cover it, and that the statue of limitations had passed anyway. This is a new deal.

Also, SK is hardly the one to piously claim its respecting the constitution when it regularly demands Japan violate its own.

One last point, it's worth noting that after the ruling was handed down and Japan objected, Japan requested talks under the treaty to work this out. Korea ignored the request. Japan then requested arbitration, Korea ignored that too (Which technically it's not supposed to be able to do given the treaty compels BOTH parties to do this). Finally Japan requested third party arbitration, the highest level of dispute resolution in the treaty where both parties would chose neutral parties to judge (One for each country who would then appoint a third by themselves.), again one that under treaty, South Korea and Japan cannot ignore and must abide by... And South Korea ignored that too...

So it's not surprising Japan isn't exactly happy with South Korea.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

GlobalControl
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GlobalControl » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:26 pm

US-SSR wrote:As a practical matter what happens in these kinds of situations is that the ROK will pile up some number of its citizens' claims, press them with the Japanese and arrive at some kind of global settlement. It may be nice to think that the courts of one nation can enforce judgements against the nationals of a different nation but there's nothing in international law that compels that at all.

Had the US not been debilitated by allowing the Electoral College to install a narcissistic, infantile sociopath in the Oval Office it could conceivably help its two most important allies in Asia resolve their dispute. But in the event, unless there's some personal benefit to Trump in any of this, it won't get involved, instead growing weaker while its adversaries grow stronger and its allies make plans for a world where the US doesn't count.

Can you fuckin' just
dispense, with Trump
He's absolutely irrelevant frankly, and bringing him up in a discussion about Japan and Korea, two nations with long-standing feuds and scars, is sort of asinine. This doesn't involve America at all and it's not that serious either.
Calm your shit.
The Anderan Confederacy

OOC:

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Korea's existed for longer than Japan and is home to the most widely spoken language isolate in the world.

Korea even ruled over large swaths of China at one point.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:32 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
New haven america wrote:Korea's existed for longer than Japan.

Korean even ruled over large swaths of China at one point.

Uhhh....

Liao....Jin...Qing, weren't Korean. Nor the Yuan.

So where do you think the most of The Kingdoms of Goguryeo or Balhae were located at? :)
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General