NATION

PASSWORD

Should we help those who are unwilling to work?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:48 am

Being capable of work doesn't necessarily equate to being able to get hired. I'm ready and willing to work, but because of biases people have- they don't want to hire me. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to hire myself either when I really think about my performances in interviews and with regards to writing resumes (I have virtually nothing relevant to put down).

My main crime is perhaps that I'm too unskilled combined with being unlikeable. I got the education or tried to, that everyone said I needed but none of it translated into becoming employable.

I'd arguably benefit the most, if a government simply made a job I could do and assigned me to it. Like might happen under a more Fascist regime. I need to be told what to do, at least temporarily. After I get enough experience or are able to write a resume and get some pathways to different roles or jobs- I could make my own decisions. But not now.

What I have is a failure to launch- that both the government and the private sector doesn't give one damn about trying to assist me in correcting that. The fact that your age and employment gaps are taken as a factor to be used against you, is bullshit.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:47 pm

We should give people every opportunity to improve themselves, overcome their obstacles, and find work. But that's all we can do really.

The willingness to work and to improve themselves has to come from within themselves.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Previous

Return to General