NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control 2022 (IV) - Gun Rights, Control, & Government

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your thoughts on pistol braces? (See top of OP for information)

Ban modern sporting rifles
15%
Pistol braces should be outlawed and current restrictions on SBRs remain in place
11%
Pistol braces should be outlawed but current restrictions on SBRs should be removed
4%
Pistol braces should be allowed and current restrictions on SBRs should remain
13%
Pistol braces should be allowed but current restrictions on SBRs should be removed
58%

Total votes : 786

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:21 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Warm guns and a hot girl. ;)

Or a hot guy, if you're of that persuasion. We're not judging.

Everyone's got their own form of happiness, if it's hot guys, then you do you.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:23 pm

Telconi wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:Or a hot guy, if you're of that persuasion. We're not judging.

hot twinks and AR-15's 8)
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Nazeroth wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Could be the name of a fun dude ranch.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

Could be the name of a fun dude ranch.

Nice
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:26 am

Telconi wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:That's great! Happiness is a warm gun.

Even better. Throw in some food, and you've got one hot date.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:01 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Even better. Throw in some food, and you've got one hot date.

have that date in Texas while eating Tex-Mex and you got an even hotter date.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Even better. Throw in some food, and you've got one hot date.

have that date in Texas while eating Tex-Mex and you got an even hotter date.

I'd rather it be someplace cold enough to give you an excuse to cuddle a warm gun.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:have that date in Texas while eating Tex-Mex and you got an even hotter date.

I'd rather it be someplace cold enough to give you an excuse to cuddle a warm gun.

Texas loves us some AC. Just have it indoors.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:16 pm

With how bad America is becoming as the election approaches, I'm gonna need to buy as many weapons as I can possibly get.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:With how bad America is becoming as the election approaches, I'm gonna need to buy as many weapons as I can possibly get.

You know I'm pretty sure Mexico is safer then some places in the US right now. Plus I wouldn't mind visiting again after 11 years when I went there for a cruise.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:15 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Gig em Aggies wrote:have that date in Texas while eating Tex-Mex and you got an even hotter date.

Same. I like cold weather. It makes me feel alive.
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:With how bad America is becoming as the election approaches, I'm gonna need to buy as many weapons as I can possibly get.

If you need advice on what gun to buy, the best place to go is the Gun Talk thread.
Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=444429
Last edited by Pax Nerdvana on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:41 pm

You're risking losing a lot of money if Joe Biden wins and something like a mandatory buyback gets through into law. There is too much uncertainty now about what gun control is around the corner and what won't happen. Gun rights being upheld is sort of contingent on the GOP keeping the House or Senate or both, even if Trump were to lose.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:44 pm

Saiwania wrote:

You're risking losing a lot of money if Joe Biden wins and something like a mandatory buyback gets through into law. There is too much uncertainty now about what gun control is around the corner and what won't happen. Gun rights being upheld is sort of contingent on the GOP keeping the House or Senate or both, even if Trump were to lose.

You misspelled confiscation.
I also don't see how that would pass the constitutional muster. Then again, If that were to come to pass, I tragically lost my firearms in a boating accident.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:58 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:Then again, If that were to come to pass, I tragically lost my firearms in a boating accident.

You don't have a whole lot of choice if the state somehow traces something back to you, if the alternative is imprisonment for decades or whatever else it is. Most mafia types for example, couldn't keep to a code of silence because the leverage the state had was too great and the prospect of being imprisoned for so long too painful. Criminals cared more about their freedom than in maintaining loyalty. Especially given most are disposible goons anyways, only valued for how much money they can bring in to their boss.

I actually have a real opportunity to ensure a certain firearm goes "missing" indefinitely should it become illegal, because it isn't actually under my name strictly speaking. But the risk is that the other person who's name it is under would get in trouble instead. I can't do it for that reason. The state could go after them even if they don't deserve it. Can't risk that.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:01 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Then again, If that were to come to pass, I tragically lost my firearms in a boating accident.

You don't have a whole lot of choice if the state somehow traces something back to you, if the alternative is imprisonment for decades or whatever else it is. Most mafia types for example, couldn't keep to a code of silence because the leverage the state had was too great and the prospect of being imprisoned for so long too painful. Criminals cared more about their freedom than in maintaining loyalty. Especially given most are disposable goons anyways, only valued for how much money they can bring in to their boss.

I actually have a real opportunity to ensure a certain firearm goes "missing" indefinitely should it become illegal, because it isn't actually under my name strictly speaking. But the risk is that the other person who's name it is under would get in trouble instead. I can't do it for that reason. The state could go after them even if they don't deserve it. Can't risk that.

How can they trace something since there is NO record?
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:08 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:How can they trace something since there is NO record?

It can be done who knows how many different ways. Chances are, the gun store has a record of the rifle someone purchased from however many years ago as one example. If the state gets ahold of that, they know enough to not leave that person alone until the item materializes and is brought to them if they want to confiscate it or demand modifications or whatever else (such as an additional tax stamp) to satisfy their demands in accordance to whatever the state of gun law becomes.
Sith Acolyte

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:How can they trace something since there is NO record?

It can be done who knows how many different ways. Chances are, the gun store has a record of the rifle someone purchased from however many years ago as one example. If the state gets ahold of that, they know enough to not leave that person alone until the item materializes and is brought to them if they want to confiscate it or demand modifications or whatever else (such as an additional tax stamp) to satisfy their demands in accordance to whatever the state of gun law becomes.

The FFL bound book do record the original purchaser, but that is far as that goes. Since it's perfectly legal to sell a firearm via private sale or a broken firearm gets cut up and disposed of with no record by a private citizen or turned in at those stupid gun buy back programs for $$$, since 90% of the firearms turned in are junk and non-functional.

Going by private sale, say a firearm has been sold over and over via private sale for years that trail is dead after the first encounter with the original purchaser since the original owner isn't going to remember who bought it. Then there are the firearms that have been homebuilt over the years. Homebuilt firearms will have zero record.

Then you have the issue of man-power to employ to confiscate firearms, how many people are going to sign up for a job that may get them killed? We literally started a war over soldiers confiscating poweder/muskets and ball.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:25 pm

"If the weapons have left, then we must draw them back. And if the weaponry is here, then we must draw them out." Chances are that the government will squeeze the citizenry until nearly everyone reveals the whereabouts of whatever it is they want to seize.
Sith Acolyte

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 pm

Saiwania wrote:"If the weapons have left, then we must draw them back. And if the weaponry is here, then we must draw them out." Chances are that the government will squeeze the citizenry until nearly everyone reveals the whereabouts of whatever it is they want to seize.

Snitches get stitches.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 pm

Saiwania wrote:"If the weapons have left, then we must draw them back. And if the weaponry is here, then we must draw them out." Chances are that the government will squeeze the citizenry until nearly everyone reveals the whereabouts of whatever it is they want to seize.

I doubt they're going to be able to rustle up enough goons to make that happen, even if it were a plausible course of action. Remember, the same party that wants to take guns also wants to defund law enforcement agencies.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:51 am

Telconi wrote:

I doubt they're going to be able to rustle up enough goons to make that happen, even if it were a plausible course of action. Remember, the same party that wants to take guns also wants to defund law enforcement agencies.

I would also suspect the remaining few either at the federal and state level would refuse said confiscation order, citing safety reasons.
That would leave the only option to bring in feckless un troops or perhaps private military type groups.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:11 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

The FFL bound book do record the original purchaser, but that is far as that goes. Since it's perfectly legal to sell a firearm via private sale or a broken firearm gets cut up and disposed of with no record by a private citizen or turned in at those stupid gun buy back programs for $$$, since 90% of the firearms turned in are junk and non-functional.

Going by private sale, say a firearm has been sold over and over via private sale for years that trail is dead after the first encounter with the original purchaser since the original owner isn't going to remember who bought it. Then there are the firearms that have been homebuilt over the years. Homebuilt firearms will have zero record.

Then you have the issue of man-power to employ to confiscate firearms, how many people are going to sign up for a job that may get them killed? We literally started a war over soldiers confiscating poweder/muskets and ball.

There are also heirloom guns to consider as well. If it's old enough, the records of purchase probably no longer exist, if they ever existed in the first place.
Here in the US, a nationwide gun confiscation is nearly impossible (thank goodness). I'd reckon there are 500-600 million privately owned guns in the US, of all types. Most of these guns aren't registered anywhere, and purchase records may not exist. In short, it would be just about impossible to figure out who owns what guns.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:20 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:The FFL bound book do record the original purchaser, but that is far as that goes. Since it's perfectly legal to sell a firearm via private sale or a broken firearm gets cut up and disposed of with no record by a private citizen or turned in at those stupid gun buy back programs for $$$, since 90% of the firearms turned in are junk and non-functional.

Then you have the issue of man-power to employ to confiscate firearms, how many people are going to sign up for a job that may get them killed? We literally started a war over soldiers confiscating powder/muskets and ball.

There are also heirloom guns to consider as well. If it's old enough, the records of purchase probably no longer exist, if they ever existed in the first place.
Here in the US, a nationwide gun confiscation is nearly impossible (thank goodness). I'd reckon there are 500-600 million privately owned guns in the US, of all types. Most of these guns aren't registered anywhere, and purchase records may not exist. In short, it would be just about impossible to figure out who owns what guns.

This is also a good point, since record keeping started around what, the 1960s ?
The next issue is, then they would have to ban, end mills, lathes, CNC, drill presses, hardware stores, etc. While I haven't touched a mill/lathe/CNC in years, the training and education is still with me and it isn't hard to teach someone to use one.
Then there is the over all size of the United States, such a feat to confiscate would be next to impossible.
Last edited by Grinning Dragon on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:There are also heirloom guns to consider as well. If it's old enough, the records of purchase probably no longer exist, if they ever existed in the first place.

This is also a good point, since record keeping started around what, the 1960s ?
The next issue is, then they would have to ban, end mills, lathes, CNC, drill presses, hardware stores, etc. While I haven't touched a mill/lathe/CNC in years, the training and education is still with me and it isn't hard to teach someone to use one.

Yeah, I think record keeping started in the late '60s ('68?). That's a good point about tools. While I don't have the space for anything like a drillpress (unfortunately), I think I could build a simple zip gun with nothing more then common hand tools.
Lathes are a lot of fun. I wish I had one.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:00 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:

Yeah, I think record keeping started in the late '60s ('68?). That's a good point about tools. While I don't have the space for anything like a drill press (unfortunately), I think I could build a simple zip gun with nothing more then common hand tools.
Lathes are a lot of fun. I wish I had one.

There's that in regards to zip guns, also slam fire type guns.
Oh, also better ban chemistry. I mean basic black powder consists of Salt Peter, Charcoal, Sulfur, one can also use sugar and or honey in recipes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General