NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Control 2022 (IV) - Gun Rights, Control, & Government

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Your thoughts on pistol braces? (See top of OP for information)

Ban modern sporting rifles
15%
Pistol braces should be outlawed and current restrictions on SBRs remain in place
11%
Pistol braces should be outlawed but current restrictions on SBRs should be removed
4%
Pistol braces should be allowed and current restrictions on SBRs should remain
13%
Pistol braces should be allowed but current restrictions on SBRs should be removed
58%

Total votes : 786

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:
I have to agree with Kernen here on that one. Fuck having to pay yearly(?) just to "own" an MG.

Oh, it's entirely not worth it unless you happen to own a gun range and want one in your rental case.

Even then it isn't worth it because the thought of owning a gun range and having absolute fuck-nuts who never fired or train with a firearm shooting or trying to look cool or some shit like that boosts my anxiety levels to a new level of liability issues.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:55 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:Even then it isn't worth it because the thought of owning a gun range and having absolute fuck-nuts who never fired or train with a firearm shooting or trying to look cool or some shit like that boosts my anxiety levels to a new level of liability issues.

I'm sure guns won't be used in such an impulsive manner.
Champions - Sporting World Cup 10 (U-18),

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:Even then it isn't worth it because the thought of owning a gun range and having absolute fuck-nuts who never fired or train with a firearm shooting or trying to look cool or some shit like that boosts my anxiety levels to a new level of liability issues.

Oh do I have a few stories to tell you....
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

Tell me?

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

Tell me?

Had this one guy with absolutely no knowledge of gun safety whatsoever come in next to us at an outdoor range, a buddy of his hands him a Ruger handgun possibly a P series and tries to fire the handgun with no fucking magazine, he tries to examine what's wrong with the weapon and ends up pointing the muzzle at me my friends and his buddy before he takes it back and finally tells him how to insert the mag and point it in a safe direction.

This guy btw was babbling on how ''nobody else'' should have these firearms before this happens.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Strahcoin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Not a gun control supporter. The Second Amendment of the American Constitution was written for a reason: to protect the people from tyranny by the state. There will definitely be those who use guns for malicious intent and purposes, but that is a small price to pay for freedom. (Besides, statistics show that gun control does not directly and notably decrease related crimes, and gun control will mainly just prevent law-abiding civilians from obtaining guns.)
Not all NS stats/policies may be used. NOTICE: Factbooks and Dispatches are mostly outdated. See here for more info.
Accidental policies: Marriage Equality. I blame nsindex.net for not mentioning that part in no. 438 even though common sense dictates that I should have figured it out myself
A 15.428571428571... civilization, according to this index.
On this index, my army is a 6-6-8.
OOC: I am a conservative and a free-market capitalist. Trump is great, even though he is a moderate. There are only two genders. I like natural rights, but strong authority and cultural moralism are needed to protect them. Nation mostly represents my views.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
:lol2:

Truth be told I am being serious, I mean, I really want a belt-fed mg and not the pre-May 86 stamps that cost $20,000 or so to buy because supply-and-demand is a thing that fucks me over in buying me one...

This brings me to the point of Hughes Amendment needs to be scrapped. After all, no militia made of the common man is complete without an MG crew to provide support.

Full-auto conversions for M107s?
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:15 am

Strahcoin wrote:Not a gun control supporter. The Second Amendment of the American Constitution was written for a reason: to protect the people from tyranny by the state. There will definitely be those who use guns for malicious intent and purposes, but that is a small price to pay for freedom. (Besides, statistics show that gun control does not directly and notably decrease related crimes, and gun control will mainly just prevent law-abiding civilians from obtaining guns.)

I support you on that. Not a gun fan. America needs to be more like Canada.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:59 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:
Strahcoin wrote:Not a gun control supporter. The Second Amendment of the American Constitution was written for a reason: to protect the people from tyranny by the state. There will definitely be those who use guns for malicious intent and purposes, but that is a small price to pay for freedom. (Besides, statistics show that gun control does not directly and notably decrease related crimes, and gun control will mainly just prevent law-abiding civilians from obtaining guns.)

No.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Imperial Joseon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Joseon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:00 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

No.

Eh, okay. Don't regret in ten years.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:20 am

If you are in Maryland, you might want to crash an everytown morons party.
Like a Good Steak? Want to Meet Someone From Everytown? Do You Live in Maryland?
From Patriot Picket comes news of an event that a Maryland law firm — one that specializes in “government relations” — is throwing for members of the state Senate’s Judicial Proceedings Committee:
Bellamy Genn represents Michael Bloomberg’s Everytown For Gun Safety civilian disarmament advocacy org. B-G is Everytown’s lobbying firm in the Old Line State.

Why would the Bellamy Genn lobbyists invite the members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee at this particular time? Well, there are a couple of gun control bills currently before the committee; a safe storage mandate bill and another requiring FFL’s to maintain electronic records.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:
:lol2:

Truth be told I am being serious, I mean, I really want a belt-fed mg and not the pre-May 86 stamps that cost $20,000 or so to buy because supply-and-demand is a thing that fucks me over in buying me one...

This brings me to the point of Hughes Amendment needs to be scrapped. After all, no militia made of the common man is complete without an MG crew to provide support.

Only an M60? I wouldn't mind owning an M2 or M1919. Or better yet, all three.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:43 am

In another case of it's someone else's fault for the actions of a deranged person.
Publix Supermarkets Sued For Selling Weapons.
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (CBS12) – The estate of a boy stabbed to death during a sleepover in Palm Beach Gardens is suing Publix Supermarkets.

Corey Johnson faces one count of first-degree murder with a deadly weapon and two counts of attempted first-degree murder with a deadly weapon. He’s accused of killing 13-year-old Jovanni Sierra on the boy’s birthday at a home in Ballenisles on Mar. 12, 2018.

The LaBovick Law Group claims Publix illegally sold the knife that Johnson used to kill Jovanni and stab Elaine Simon and her son, Dane Bancroft.

It seems UK bizarro world has come to the US?

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:54 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:In another case of it's someone else's fault for the actions of a deranged person.
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (CBS12) – The estate of a boy stabbed to death during a sleepover in Palm Beach Gardens is suing Publix Supermarkets.

Corey Johnson faces one count of first-degree murder with a deadly weapon and two counts of attempted first-degree murder with a deadly weapon. He’s accused of killing 13-year-old Jovanni Sierra on the boy’s birthday at a home in Ballenisles on Mar. 12, 2018.

The LaBovick Law Group claims Publix illegally sold the knife that Johnson used to kill Jovanni and stab Elaine Simon and her son, Dane Bancroft.

literally could of grabbed a kitchen knife and done the same thing...
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 am

Satuga wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:In another case of it's someone else's fault for the actions of a deranged person.

literally could of grabbed a kitchen knife and done the same thing...

Precisely. Under the reasoning of this frivolous lawsuit, everything being sold would have to be scrutinized as a dangerous weapon. Their lawsuit is without merit and should be thrown out and laughed at.

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:10 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Satuga wrote:literally could of grabbed a kitchen knife and done the same thing...

Precisely. Under the reasoning of this frivolous lawsuit, everything being sold would have to be scrutinized as a dangerous weapon. Their lawsuit is without merit and should be thrown out and laughed at.

I mean I get it, it sucks their kid just got fucking murdered, but maybe don't sue the people not responsible for the murder. Sue the murderer, and have the government take out a debt for the killer and make them work their ass off when they get out of prison.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:23 am

More dumb lawsuits. Yay.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:57 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

Only an M60? I wouldn't mind owning an M2 or M1919. Or better yet, all three.

I agree with you all 3 I would own too, but in regards of "walking firepower" the M60 fills that roll, imo, very well (depite its issues but we will not go into that).

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:02 am

Imperial Joseon wrote:

Agree with Loben on this one, no.
While I dont trust a lot of folk with firearms, I am not going to restrict those who wish to express their rights to own firearms. I do wish people would take the time and put money towards classes to make themselves competent with firearms.

• INTP
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

XY = Male, XX = Female

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am

Germanic Templars wrote:
Imperial Joseon wrote:

While I dont trust a lot of folk with firearms, I am not going to restrict those who wish to express their rights to own firearms. I do wish people would take the time and put money towards classes to make themselves competent with firearms.

Agreed. We should invest more in making Americans more able to use guns safely.
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Satuga
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:13 am

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:

Agreed. We should invest more in making Americans more able to use guns safely.

Training means a lot when it comes to the capabilities and safety of people with and around guns, even children.
Funny quotes:

Tarsonis wrote:

(Image)

Ard al Islam
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 14, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ard al Islam » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:21 am

Pro-guns argue that guns are needed for self-defense
Anti-guns argue that this is irrelevant, because that was written way back when, when there were big scary animals that you had to defend against

Not taking a side here, but that's still the way of life in Alaska. Like, there are still big, scary animals there. That's why it's alright to carry a shotgun on you when you go shopping. It's pretty much the wild west out there, in most parts of the state.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:25 am

Satuga wrote:
West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Agreed. We should invest more in making Americans more able to use guns safely.

Training means a lot when it comes to the capabilities and safety of people with and around guns, even children.

One reason I support firearm safety and training in schools, instead of teaching them to be afraid of firearms.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:26 am

Ard al Islam wrote:Pro-guns argue that guns are needed for self-defense
Anti-guns argue that this is irrelevant, because that was written way back when, when there were big scary animals that you had to defend against

Not taking a side here, but that's still the way of life in Alaska. Like, there are still big, scary animals there. That's why it's alright to carry a shotgun on you when you go shopping. It's pretty much the wild west out there, in most parts of the state.

The biggest take is self defense against man more so than from animal attacks.

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Satuga wrote:Training means a lot when it comes to the capabilities and safety of people with and around guns, even children.

One reason I support firearm safety and training in schools, instead of teaching them to be afraid of firearms.

I think they also teach people about the ethics of firearm use, too. Is that true or not?
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General