NATION

PASSWORD

SF declares NRA a terrorist organization

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the more moderate leftists ever awaken to the insidious, authoritarian group among them?

Yes, in time.
16%
No, they are too established in their views, and don't care enough.
39%
Unsure.
13%
No, because no one's trying to take away guns!
18%
Yes, and they will come around to agree with the far left in that guns should be banned!
14%

Total votes : 489

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Not adequate liberty.

Most countries with stricter firearms laws actually rank in the top 10 for most free and least oppressed by freedom house ratings.

So?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
A firearm is a tool, like a car.
What you have mentioned are not tools.

A printing press is also a tool. Language is a tool.

Also, whether it's a tool or not is irrelevant. Our right to keep and bear that tool is not to be restricted by the government. Full stop. At all. Ever. For any reason.

Also, those rankings are made by Europhiles who actively disdain the second amendment.

And don't forget much of the first.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I have looked at the federalist papers, I didn't see anything there.

Seriously?
Federalist-46

This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence.

So at the time, the militia would have been half a million strong, with a total population in 1776 being 2.5 million. that's 20% of the population in the militia.

US population today is 327.2 million, and 20% of that is 65.44 million people being apart of a militia today.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Grinning Dragon wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
The only free range in MY state is only open on the weekends with 3, 90 minute time slots for each of the 10 covered shooting positions on each of those days. It's already almost impossible to get a slot at that range, imagine trying to process all the firearms owners in the state in a timely manner as well.

In my state, sheriffs and police tend to have an arrangement to use private ranges.

Your suggestion sounds like an infringement.

Gods, that sucks.
a couple of ranges near me, charge $6-10$ a lane, 2 people max per lane, for as long as you want to shoot. Targets are additional or you can bring your own.
One range has 25 lanes for long firearms, and 15 lanes for handgun.
The other range has 15 lanes.

The closest public range from me (over an hour away) charges $34/person all day for pistol/rifle, $28/person all day for shotgun, or $50/person all day for both.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Seriously?
Federalist-46

This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence.

So at the time, the militia would have been half a million strong, with a total population in 1776 being 2.5 million. that's 20% of the population in the militia.

US population today is 327.2 million, and 20% of that is 6.11 million people being apart of a militia today, which is almost 3 time more than the actual US Armed Forces.

I dunno, I'd rather the people have the monopoly on force than the government when push comes to shove.

Not that you could get any kind of cooperation between those 6 million, even if they all answered the call.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Celritannia wrote:
A firearm is a tool, like a car.
What you have mentioned are not tools.

Also, whether it's a tool or not is irrelevant. Our right to keep and bear that tool is not to be restricted by the government. Full stop. At all. Ever. For any reason.

Also, those rankings are made by Europhiles who actively disdain the second amendment.

Language isn't a tool, not a physical tool, like a car or a gun.
Ideas create language.

Regulated Militia.
(Although after reading that federalist paper section over, it would be the state legislatures that would regulate their state militias rather than Congress).
Also incorrect. Those tables are independent of any nation.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Celritannia wrote:

Ideas create language.

Regulated Militia.
(Although after reading that federalist paper section over, it would be the state legislatures that would regulate their state militias rather than Congress).

Look to the tools that enable those rights. Computers, printing presses, phones, etc.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Kernen wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

US population today is 327.2 million, and 20% of that is 6.11 million people being apart of a militia today, which is almost 3 time more than the actual US Armed Forces.

I dunno, I'd rather the people have the monopoly on force than the government when push comes to shove.

Not that you could get any kind of cooperation between those 6 million, even if they all answered the call.

I highly doubt the US Military would attack their own people though.
Certain Police officer yes, but not the military.

That is true.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

I highly doubt the US Military would attack their own people though.
Certain Police officer yes, but not the military.

That is true.

Its always nice to have a high opinion of the people following orders and their ability to ignore orders for the greater good, but history is replete with examples of the exact opposite happening.

Lawful Evil

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Grinning Dragon wrote:Seriously?
Federalist-46

20% of 327.2 is not 6.11
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Kernen wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
Ideas create language.

Regulated Militia.

Look to the tools that enable those rights. Computers, printing presses, phones, etc.

None of which cause harm, do they?

A firearm is a tool designed to injure or harm.
A car is a tool to go to places, yet humans being imperfect, there is insurance and taxes on them, and anyone who drives needs a licence.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Telconi wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

20% of 327.2 is not 6.11

Apologies, 65.44 Million. Even larger than the US military.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:
There are millions of gun owners who never hurt anybody. These measures you'd suggested would only actually limit an extremely minor segment of them at the cost of a great deal of substantive and procedural due process. The law and statistics suggest otherwise.

So what is the best course of action to stop these mass shootings then?

It only took one school shooting in the UK to bring in stricter firearm legislation.

I honestly don't think that one needs to take preventative measures to stop mass shootings beyond the security measures already used. Mass shootings are, almost to a man, angry young white conservative men who feel so entitled to their validation or revenge that they don't have a problem with killing innocents. Its far more of a cultural problem than a question of the tools. I strongly suspect that as the current batch of entitled kids age out, this will get better. Elementary schools are pretty good at inclusion these days.

Lawful Evil

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:Look to the tools that enable those rights. Computers, printing presses, phones, etc.

A car is a tool to go to places, yet humans being imperfect, there is insurance and taxes on them, and anyone who drives needs a licence.

Cars hurt more people by far than guns. And you do not need a driver's license or insurance to acquire a car, just to operate it on public roads. Not even on private roads.

History shows that a free press is far more destabilizing than firearms to a society.

Lawful Evil

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Kernen wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
So what is the best course of action to stop these mass shootings then?

It only took one school shooting in the UK to bring in stricter firearm legislation.

I honestly don't think that one needs to take preventative measures to stop mass shootings beyond the security measures already used. Mass shootings are, almost to a man, angry young white conservative men who feel so entitled to their validation or revenge that they don't have a problem with killing innocents. Its far more of a cultural problem than a question of the tools. I strongly suspect that as the current batch of entitled kids age out, this will get better. Elementary schools are pretty good at inclusion these days.

And yet, countries with fire arm restrictions have little to no school shootings.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Kernen wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Cars hurt more people by far than guns. And you do not need a driver's license or insurance to acquire a car, just to operate it on public roads. Not even on private roads.

History shows that a free press is far more destabilizing than firearms to a society.

True, they certainly do cause damage, which is why I am not sure I wish to drive, but that's more about my anxiety of driving than anything.

The free press only destabilises a society if the information is not accurate and radicalises people over something which cause them to do harm.
Again, countries with a lies and horrendous news stories in their papers have strict firearm legislation.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

And yet, countries with fire arm restrictions have little to no school shootings.

Punish the perpetrators. Not the innocents.

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

True, they certainly do cause damage, which is why I am not sure I wish to drive, but that's more about my anxiety of driving than anything.

The free press only destabilises a society if the information is not accurate and radicalises people over something which cause them to do harm.
Again, countries with a lies and horrendous news stories in their papers have strict firearm legislation.

The French Revolution's agitated but free press would like to disagree with you on that point. Not as much dishonesty as you'd think.

EDIT: oh, and the American revolution. Venezuelan. Peruvian. Columbian. Mexican. Russian. Do you need more? I can do more.
Last edited by Kernen on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Kernen wrote:
Punish the perpetrators. Not the innocents.

One school shooting in the UK, that's all it to to re-look at the firearm situation.
Too many innocents have already perished.

Kernen wrote:
The French Revolution's agitated but free press would like to disagree with you on that point. Not as much dishonesty as you'd think.

EDIT: oh, and the American revolution. Venezuelan. Peruvian. Columbian. Mexican. Russian. Do you need more? I can do more.

In times of distress, people do use the media to blame people or something.
But even those countries you mentioned have fire arm restrictions in one form or another.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Celritannia wrote:One school shooting in the UK, that's all it to to re-look at the firearm situation.
Too many innocents have already perished.

You don't jail the neighbors when somebody commits murder. Gun owners did nothing wrong, and should not be punished for merely owning a firearm that was legal at the time of the crime when the perpetrator can be readily charged with murder.

In times of distress, people do use the media to blame people or someone.
But even those countries you mentioned have fire arm restrictions in one form or another.

I never argued that they didn't. I did argue that the media is far more destabilizing than you're giving it credit for. I don't particularly see that as a bad thing, but it is a thing.

Lawful Evil

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Kernen wrote:

Finland and Germany have both had mass casualty attacks in the past week or so.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

It's not about deaths, it's about politically convenient deaths.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Remember when Norway had a mass shooting that was deadlier than any shooting in the US?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Telconi wrote:
Diopolis wrote:Finland and Germany have both had mass casualty attacks in the past week or so.

I wonder what sweeping legislation Finland and Germany will enact in regards to the tools used to commit the crimes. All it ought to take is one incident for increased regulations.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Flawless Walruses
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Flawless Walruses » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Telconi wrote:

I wonder what sweeping legislation Finland and Germany will enact in regards to the tools used to commit the crimes. All it ought to take is one incident for increased regulations.

Germany has history. Finland has Russia next door. History has taught them that reducing the risk of private-sector murders by increasing the risk of public-sector mass murders is not a good trade.
Torrocca wrote:The people are the militia, comrade. :^)

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Telconi wrote:

The Finnish attack was carried out with a sword. Currently Finnish laws ban publicly carrying knives with exceptions but do not regulate their ownership; the law is not enforced and doesn't seem to distinguish between swords and knives. At least according to the first page of google results. It's very possible that Finland might enact some kind of sword control law in the near future.
The German mass shooting used molotov cocktails and firecrackers, which are hard to ban, grenades, which seem to already be illegal in germany, and what the guardian variously describes as an automatic rifle and a homemade pistol. My guess is probably a crappy AR or AK variant. Regardless it's difficult to see how German gun control can get a whole lot stricter without going full China.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General