NATION

PASSWORD

Google v. Almost Everyone

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, sure, but just because you're the one making deals with Cthulhu doesn't make you the good guy.

Don't you think that if these services were owned by smaller companies they'd be even easier for the government to push around?

Push around how? Make them pay minimum wages? Give their workers rights? Avert a second monopoly? What is the government doing?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Pacomia
Senator

Founded: May 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacomia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Pacomia wrote:That’s not necessarily true. Resources can be allocated across child companies, I think devs would probably take what they can get and join wherever, and I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of financial security for dismantling a monopoly.

If companies don't have financial security they're inclined to take less risks.

What counts as a “risk”?
This nation is based on (a slightly more extreme version of) my IRL opinions, and I answer issues accordingly.
Current accidental policies: No Sex
Results of political various tests I took meme awesome
Progressive capitalism gang

GLORY TO CASCADIA, NUCLEAR ENERGY IS A GOOD THING!
This user is a male.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Galloism wrote:Well, sure, but just because you're the one making deals with Cthulhu doesn't make you the good guy.

Don't you think that if these services were owned by smaller companies they'd be even easier for the government to push around?

Um, probably not, or at least it would be likely some of them would push back. And at least one would push back publicly most likely, which would result in public knowledge of the push around.

When you have a single monolithic company, there's a single point of failure that allows these things to occur without pushback. WIth multiple companies, and different management teams, you'll get different decisions being made.

Besides that, there's a bit of a circle thing, but the fact that a company is so big it's in violation of antitrust law actually makes it vulnerable to government push around. "That's a nice company you got there. Would be too bad if... someone split it in into 10 pieces." Or, if there are no anti-trust laws - "That's a nice search engine you got there. Would be a shame if there was a $0.05 per search use tax on it."
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Kernen wrote:I don't think that is the argument.

I meant bad as in 'have problems.' Why should we care about the size of google?

Because large companies can, and often do, push around consumers when there is no effective competition. Competition is why capitalism works.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Pacomia wrote:That’s not necessarily true. Resources can be allocated across child companies, I think devs would probably take what they can get and join wherever, and I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of financial security for dismantling a monopoly.

If companies don't have financial security they're inclined to take less risks.

Um, economically, this is a good thing.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Is that so wrong?

I mean, when they aren't being pushed around they're busy monopolizing the markets and collecting data on millions of Americans to feed to the NSA.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Pacomia wrote:Google, Amazon, Apple and other tech companies are in serious violation of anitrust laws, have huge monopolies, and need to be broken up, plain and simple.

Yet I type this on an Apple phone using the Google Chrome search browser on a site whose internet is likely run by Amazon.

Guess I’m a hypocrite then.

EDIT: why is california not doing an antitrust investigation
did bapple and goggle bribe the state government

You can at least fix the Chrome part. Firefox has a perfectly good mobile browser available; use that instead.
Pacomia wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:
I'm typing this in Firefox on Windows 7. I'm not saying Microsoft is 100% innocent either. Of course California wouldn't do anything; Google is based there and they probably get lots of money out of the Google people.

I will concede, however, that Google Maps is probably the best out there when it comes to maps; only OpenStreetMap comes close. The alternative is just plain inaccurate for my area.

I like Microsoft better, if they still made Windows phones I would have one of those. Can’t say I like Androids all that much, though. My laptop runs on Windows.

Do you have a reason to run Windows over Linux?
Nova Cyberia wrote:
Rostavykhan wrote:
Big Tech/Silicon Valley are largely based in Cali, so it would make sense that they'd want to protect one of their big industries, even when most big tech companies are incredibly shady.

At any rate, seeing pretty much the entire nation begin an investigation is good. I'd loose no sleep to see companies like Google or Facebook broken up.

Partition Google between Bing, AskJeeves and DuckDuckGo.

Make Google the internet Poland.

>AskJeeves
lol ok grandpa
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:So which services that google offers are actually bad?

Chrome OS. Enough said.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If companies don't have financial security they're inclined to take less risks.

Um, economically, this is a good thing.

I'm not really interested in the economy, I care about the product being more innovative.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Galloism wrote:Um, economically, this is a good thing.

I'm not really interested in the economy, I care about the product being more innovative.

Then we should probably break up google. With different companies going in different directions, you'll get different products that are innovative in different ways, thereby increasing variety.

The problem with monopolies is they tend to stagnate.

Well, that's not the only one, but that's one of them.
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Don't you think that if these services were owned by smaller companies they'd be even easier for the government to push around?

Is that so wrong?

I mean, when they aren't being pushed around they're busy monopolizing the markets and collecting data on millions of Americans to feed to the NSA.

The government only cares about respecting privacy when it's someone else doing the snooping.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

There's no reason to innovate if you've no competition.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I'm not really interested in the economy, I care about the product being more innovative.

Then we should probably break up google. With different companies going in different directions, you'll get different products that are innovative in different ways, thereby increasing variety.

And so why is google continually releasing new products in different areas? They're not stagnating.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:Is that so wrong?

The government only cares about respecting privacy when it's someone else doing the snooping.

I guess it'd be preferable for them to not care at all and let anyone snoop?
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Kernen wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I'm not really interested in the economy, I care about the product being more innovative.

There's no reason to innovate if you've no competition.

Google does have competition, aside from possibly in youtube. Other search engines, browsers, mapping services, shopping directories exist.

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Capitalism, not corporatism! Yes, break up Alphabet into individual companies, that way it might make it easier for international governments to ensure tax compliance too.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The government only cares about respecting privacy when it's someone else doing the snooping.

I guess it'd be preferable for them to not care at all and let anyone snoop?

I have a lot less concern about companies having my data than the government having it.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Are you posting this using Opera Neon running on a custom LFS build or are you full of nonsense?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Kernen wrote:There's no reason to innovate if you've no competition.

Google does have competition, aside from possibly in youtube. Other search engines, browsers, mapping services, shopping directories exist.

But not on multiple levels. Not all monopolies are horizontal. Owning a sufficient share of different markets can be sufficient.
Last edited by Kernen on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Cekoviu wrote:

Are you posting this using Opera Neon running on a custom LFS build or are you full of nonsense?

No, I'm using chrome. It's a fast and customiseable browser that crucially doesn't allow sound to autoplay most of the time.

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:I guess it'd be preferable for them to not care at all and let anyone snoop?

I have a lot less concern about companies having my data than the government having it.

Google is feeding data directly to the NSA so there you go.
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I have a lot less concern about companies having my data than the government having it.

Google is feeding data directly to the NSA so there you go.

So the right path for the states to take would be one that aims to restrict their ability to do that, but they're too cowardly to come out against the security apparatus.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Galloism wrote:Then we should probably break up google. With different companies going in different directions, you'll get different products that are innovative in different ways, thereby increasing variety.

And so why is google continually releasing new products in different areas? They're not stagnating.

How has their search functionality, the core business, improved in the last 5 years?

No cheating.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Cekoviu wrote:Are you posting this using Opera Neon running on a custom LFS build or are you full of nonsense?

No, I'm using chrome. It's a fast and customiseable browser that crucially doesn't allow sound to autoplay most of the time.

If you like innovation, Chrome is trash lol. Opera Neon is the weirdest and most innovative browser to date. Thus, you don't actually like innovation that much.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:And so why is google continually releasing new products in different areas? They're not stagnating.

How has their search functionality, the core business, improved in the last 5 years?

No cheating.

Does it need to? It kind of does what it says on the tin.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Galloism wrote:How has their search functionality, the core business, improved in the last 5 years?

No cheating.

Does it need to? It kind of does what it says on the tin.

So it's stagnated?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General