NATION

PASSWORD

Hypothetical: A Crippled Annie

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Would you take the deal?

No (please explain)
17%
Yes (I would feel no resentment, this is 100% a gain overall and the King is really doing me a favor)
30%
Yes (I would feel little bit of resentment, I am gaining more than I'm losing so I won't feel TOO resentful, but its still a bit patronizing)
24%
Yes (I would feel moderate resentment, I am human and I cannot help it, this is exploitation)
9%
Yes (I would feel a lot of resentment, I 100% hate the fact that I have to do this, those smug royals, if I could I would get rid of them all)
9%
Other
11%

Total votes : 70

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Hypothetical: A Crippled Annie

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:10 am

Please consider the following hypothetical:

You are a young woman in medieval Europe.

One day you wake up in a comfortable bed. You are completely paralyzed from leg down and are confined to bed and wheelchair. You speak with an uncontrollable stutter and you find yourself being fed a ton of medications to survive because you have a rare medical condition.

Worse of all, your memory of your past has somehow been erased.

You cannot remember ANYTHING about your own past.

Your caretakers (a well-to-do merchant couple in a fancy large house) tell you that you were adopted and that your name is "Annie." They tell you that your parents were farmers in the countryside who died in the Great Magical War against the Witch Queen, the trauma of their deaths caused you to forget your past and to acquire your current medical problems.

They tell you that they love you and will take very good care of you (you remind them of their own daughter who also died in the war).

Since you are unable to move around without help and you have to stick to a firm medication schedule, you spend most of your days silently reading. You can't help but have this intuitive feeling that maybe things weren't always this way. You are curious about your past but your caretakers are pretty tight lipped. They say that some things are best forgotten.

You are treated very well in the mansion and live a relatively comfortable luxurious life (minus the inherent nightmare of being disabled). Over time, you and your caretakers develop a real and genuine bond. You wish to repay them for their kindness towards you.

One day the King's agents contact your family. They tell you that they want to mount an anti-democratic propaganda campaign. They want the King to appear benevolent, accepting, and inclusive.

They would like you, a crippled woman, to act as the Mascot and the Face of the Kingdom. All you would have to do is smile and wave as you are wheeled around the Kingdom at big ceremonial events. Read out a couple of pre-prepared speeches here and there.

"B... b... but I s... s... stutt...ter..."

The King's agents shrug. "That's part of the charm. See, if YOU CAN MAKE IT in this kingdom... everyone can."

In exchange for your cooperation, you and your caretakers would be granted nobility status, some large tracts of land and given a large army of servants (which is a huge deal in medieval Europe). The King's agent also tells you that there's a magical treatment for your condition; it's really really expensive, exclusive, and it may take over a decade but you'll be able to walk again.

They tell you that if you don't want the deal, no harm no foul. They'll find another crippled woman to do it. They understand the entire thing may seem a bit... "patronizing."

Please discuss the following:

1. Do you accept the deal?
2. Assuming you accepted, would you feel any level (a little, none, moderate, high) of resentment as you're carrying out your new duties? Or would you feel that its an honor? ... if you refused the deal, WHY?

Please take into account your IRL personality.

It goes without saying that if you accept but "mess around," you can expect retaliation from the government against you and your loved ones.

Please discuss.

I'm leaning towards accepting but feeling a little bit of resentment. I understand that I'm gaining more, but I'd feel a bit of residual resentment from time to time. However, I'd do it because I'd really want to be cured and nobility status means a lot to me.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:19 am

Wheelchairs and medication in Medieval Europe? Eh, not the worst historical anachronism I've seen in your threads.

When they wheel me out in front of crowds I'd start talking about all that is wrong with the kingdom and call for revolution. Death to the King!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 am

Heloin wrote:Wheelchairs and medication in Medieval Europe? Eh, not the worst historical anachronism I've seen in your threads.

When they wheel me out in front of crowds I'd start talking about all that is wrong with the kingdom and call for revolution. Death to the King!

you'd give your life for the cause?

what about your new family?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

UIS Leviathan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 16, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby UIS Leviathan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:21 am

Setting aside the fact I’d be quite distrustful of my adoptive family, as that whole story is a bit fishy, I’d accept it. I hate monarchies, or anything of the sort, however this is medieval times, it’s really to be expected. Besides that, I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t really find it to personally be exploitation, as I’m being quite handsomely rewarded, and given the possibility of being able to walk again. I can’t say I see a downside to this.
The Fleet of IDIF-1
Anthem (Official)
Working on ONI-2* 3D Model!! | Factbooks on hold for research | God I Love Nukes | Nuclear Howitzers vs soft scifi
The Indomitable Human Spirit Will Prevail All Misery, Suffering Is But The Path To Growth
most glorious puppet of UIJ
i am almost certainly drunk/high on NS, forgive me (or not idc) if its' obvious
i am not liberal but I am liberal in my use of nuclear ordnance and that is my politics
th-thanks mods!!!! *gives Plutonium & U-234* oopise hehe *violent nuclear death*

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:22 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

One day you wake up in a comfortable bed. You are completely paralyzed from leg down and are confined to bed and wheelchair. You speak with an uncontrollable stutter and you find yourself being fed a ton of medications to survive because you have a rare medical condition.

Your caretakers (a well-to-do merchant couple in a fancy large house) tell you that you were adopted and that your name is "Annie." They tell you that your parents were farmers in the countryside who died in the Great Magical War against the Witch Queen, the trauma of their deaths caused you to forget your past and to acquire your current medical problems.

They tell you that they love you and will take very good care of you (you remind them of their own daughter who also died in the war).

Since you are unable to move around without help and you have to stick to a firm medication schedule, you spend most of your days silently reading. You can't help but have this intuitive feeling that maybe things weren't always this way. You are curious about your past but your caretakers are pretty tight lipped. They say that some things are best forgotten.

You are treated very well in the mansion and live a relatively comfortable luxurious life (minus the inherent nightmare of being disabled). Over time, you and your caretakers develop a real and genuine bond. You wish to repay them for their kindness towards you.

One day the King's agents contact your family. They tell you that they want to mount an anti-democratic propaganda campaign. They want the King to appear benevolent, accepting, and inclusive.

They would like you, a crippled woman, to act as the Mascot and the Face of the Kingdom. All you would have to do is smile and wave as you are wheeled around the Kingdom at big ceremonial events. Read out a couple of pre-prepared speeches here and there.

The King's agents shrug. "That's part of the charm. See, if YOU CAN MAKE IT in this kingdom... everyone can."

In exchange for your cooperation, you and your caretakers would be granted nobility status, some large tracts of land and given a large army of servants (which is a huge deal in medieval Europe). The King's agent also tells you that there's a magical treatment for your condition; it's really really expensive, exclusive, and it may take over a decade but you'll be able to walk again.

They tell you that if you don't want the deal, no harm no foul. They'll find another crippled woman to do it. They understand the entire thing may seem a bit... "patronizing."

2. Assuming you accepted, would you feel any level (a little, none, moderate, high) of resentment as you're carrying out your new duties? Or would you feel that its an honor? ... if you refused the deal, WHY?

It goes without saying that if you accept but "mess around," you can expect retaliation from the government against you and your loved ones.

Please discuss.

I'm leaning towards accepting but feeling a little bit of resentment. I understand that I'm gaining more, but I'd feel a bit of residual resentment from time to time. However, I'd do it because I'd really want to be cured and nobility status means a lot to me.

I'll just smile and wave.

Smile and wave.

Oh, and do the talks.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:23 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Wheelchairs and medication in Medieval Europe? Eh, not the worst historical anachronism I've seen in your threads.

If the king kills a wheelchair bound stuttering cripple that wouldn't help him either ;)

If the king wants to give the revolution more cause to overthrow him and alienate his allies I guess he could be a moron and start attacking my friends and loved ones.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:26 am

Heloin wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

If the king kills a wheelchair bound stuttering cripple that wouldn't help him either ;)

If the king wants to give the revolution more cause to overthrow him and alienate his allies I guess he could be a moron and start attacking my friends and loved ones.

then that's very brave of you

I would not sacrifice myself or my family for some peasants

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 am

UIS Leviathan wrote:Setting aside the fact I’d be quite distrustful of my adoptive family, as that whole story is a bit fishy, I’d accept it. I hate monarchies, or anything of the sort, however this is medieval times, it’s really to be expected. Besides that, I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t really find it to personally be exploitation, as I’m being quite handsomely rewarded, and given the possibility of being able to walk again. I can’t say I see a downside to this.

why do you think it sounds fishy?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:Please consider the following hypothetical:

Please discuss.

Smile and wave.

Oh, and do the talks.

and take home the good rewards? =)

Keep cheerful?

UIS Leviathan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 16, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby UIS Leviathan » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
UIS Leviathan wrote:Setting aside the fact I’d be quite distrustful of my adoptive family, as that whole story is a bit fishy, I’d accept it. I hate monarchies, or anything of the sort, however this is medieval times, it’s really to be expected. Besides that, I see nothing wrong with it. I don’t really find it to personally be exploitation, as I’m being quite handsomely rewarded, and given the possibility of being able to walk again. I can’t say I see a downside to this.

why do you think it sounds fishy?

I mean
I wake up and they won’t answer all my questions and they seem to unconditionally love me. It just screams “we kidnapped and disabled you because we're insane”

I donno, I’ve gone through a lot, so I’m a pretty untrusting and skeptical person.
The Fleet of IDIF-1
Anthem (Official)
Working on ONI-2* 3D Model!! | Factbooks on hold for research | God I Love Nukes | Nuclear Howitzers vs soft scifi
The Indomitable Human Spirit Will Prevail All Misery, Suffering Is But The Path To Growth
most glorious puppet of UIJ
i am almost certainly drunk/high on NS, forgive me (or not idc) if its' obvious
i am not liberal but I am liberal in my use of nuclear ordnance and that is my politics
th-thanks mods!!!! *gives Plutonium & U-234* oopise hehe *violent nuclear death*

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am

Roll myself into the nearest body of water.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Naralanesia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Naralanesia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 am

I'd accept the deal, then invade liberate the king's kingdom with my new army (after building a gargantuan army later). Hehehe

Also, democracy in medieval europe? (no offense)
Last edited by Naralanesia on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 am

The New California Republic wrote:Roll myself into the nearest body of water.

why?

you don't want to live a life confined to a bed and a wheelchair?

what about the treatment?

you don't trust them?

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

Smile and wave.

Oh, and do the talks.

Keep cheerful?

Yes. Obviously.

It has better pay than an office job.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:41 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Heloin wrote:If the king kills a wheelchair bound stuttering cripple that wouldn't help him either ;)

then that's very brave of you

Hardly.

I would not sacrifice myself or my family for some peasants

Some peasants would be you and everyone you know. And I'm working under the obvious idea that he can't kill me because that could only backfire, it'd be Joseph McCarthy going after Helen Keller.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:43 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Keep cheerful?

Yes. Obviously.

It has better pay than an office job.

indeed

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 am

Hmmm, Annie is also the name of the Witch Queen. Should I suspect that after Annie was stripped of her powers and imprisoned in the glass box that now her memory has been wiped and she has been made to live as a cripple as punishment? Or perhaps the offer from the King is an experiment to see if she can be made subservient?

These are my theories based on my knowledge of IM Lore.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:44 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Roll myself into the nearest body of water.

why?

you don't trust them?

Too late, I'm already floating face down in the garden pond.

It would be a living hell even now, never mind in the stupid ages.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:46 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
why?

you don't trust them?

Too late, I'm already floating face down in the garden pond.

why is it so bad for you?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:48 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Too late, I'm already floating face down in the garden pond.

Because such a pathetic existence would be intolerable for me.

Wave on, wave on

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:48 am

Naralanesia wrote:Also, democracy in medieval europe? (no offense)

San Marino's been a Republic since about 301. And there were plenty of democracies in Europe during the middle ages all being varying degrees of democratic.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:49 am

Page wrote:Hmmm, Annie is also the name of the Witch Queen. Should I suspect that after Annie was stripped of her powers and imprisoned in the glass box that now her memory has been wiped and she has been made to live as a cripple as punishment? Or perhaps the offer from the King is an experiment to see if she can be made subservient?

It is possible.

It fits the timeline (you'd be the right age) and there was somehow a memory loss.

The Witch Queen is declared dead in this timeline though (officially). But it is possible that this is a lie by the authorities or there's a mix up.

One thing to say though, there are lots of women called "Annie" in this alternate timeline. However, few bear a royal last name.

Good catch! Someone is paying attention!
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:51 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Because such a pathetic existence would be intolerable for me.

What if the treatment worked?

and you ended up in a mansion with servants and a noble title?

and you could host big parties with the fame you acquired as a nationwide mascot?

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:54 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Page wrote:Hmmm, Annie is also the name of the Witch Queen. Should I suspect that after Annie was stripped of her powers and imprisoned in the glass box that now her memory has been wiped and she has been made to live as a cripple as punishment? Or perhaps the offer from the King is an experiment to see if she can be made subservient?

It is possible.

It fits the timeline (you'd be the right age) and there was somehow a memory loss.

The Witch Queen is declared dead in this timeline though (officially). But it is possible that this is a lie by the authorities or there's a mix up.

One thing to say though, there are lots of women called "Annie" in this alternate timeline. However, few bear a royal last name.

Good catch! Someone is paying attention!

I was hoping the answer would be no they aren't the same. And I won't accept any answer other then a different version of me having killed Witch Hitler in that field after some duel.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Because such a pathetic existence would be intolerable for me.

What if the treatment worked?

and you ended up in a mansion with servants and a noble title?

and you could host big parties with the fame you acquired as a nationwide mascot?

Use this new found power to fund the revolutionaries.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General