NATION

PASSWORD

Is being overweight really unhealthy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Snazzylands
Diplomat
 
Posts: 585
Founded: Feb 20, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Snazzylands » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am

Of course BMI isn't the best measure of health for everyone, but most people who are overweight aren't heavy because they're lifting weights. It's too much body fat.

In conclusion, put down the fork, tubby. Pushing fat acceptance won't keep the diabetes at bay or prevent your heart from giving out at 45. If you screw this body up, you don't get another one.
Mind awaits entrance
Of a witty signature;
One has yet to come.

User avatar
Russoslava
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 50
Founded: Jun 11, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Russoslava » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 am

I work in the medical field as an EMT, being overweight is not healthy and no, being fat is not a body type. What people mean when they say that there are large body types they mean something similar to mine, Tall, broad-shouldered, wide hips, tree trunk legs, large hands, and feet. The BMI chart does not account for the size of a person frame. I.E Bone and Muscle structure. I will never be under 200 pounds because my bones, organs, and muscles would equal that if I had not body fat. Being fat is not a body type.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10941
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 pm

The Snazzylands wrote:Of course BMI isn't the best measure of health for everyone, but most people who are overweight aren't heavy because they're lifting weights. It's too much body fat.

In conclusion, put down the fork, tubby. Pushing fat acceptance won't keep the diabetes at bay or prevent your heart from giving out at 45. If you screw this body up, you don't get another one.

Until we advance medical technology some more.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Oppermenia
Minister
 
Posts: 2302
Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Oppermenia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:52 pm

It's a complicated question. According to BMI, I am not only overweight but obese. However, all other medical measurements of mine are good - blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. And, I don't experience any joint problems or negative effects from my weight.

If we go by definition, then yes. Overweight literally means, as I saw someone comment, an unhealthy amount of weight. However, the BMI scale is inaccurate. It does not take into account muscle mass, and the proportions of someone's body, or weight distribution. So, the answer to this question would be yes. However, I think what we define as being overweight is flawed and needs to be changed, since weight affects everyone differently and the BMI scale doesn't factor in a lot of things.
"Stick to the pack, and the pack will provide."
We are a leftist nation that believes in the "we" over "I". That's why we are fond of wolves, because the Alpha looks after the pack.
Stick with us, and give us loyalty, and we'll do things that benefit you, and we'll stick with you.
If you cross us, however, then as a pack, we will hunt you.
Don't underestimate us.
To learn more about the nation, click here: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=oppermenia/detail=factbook

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Uh, yes. Being overweight is inherently unhealthy. Only in the current year with the idiotic fat acceptance movement does a question as dumb as this even need to be asked.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10941
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:Uh, yes. Being overweight is inherently unhealthy. Only in the current year with the idiotic fat acceptance movement does a question as dumb as this even need to be asked.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:Uh, yes. Being overweight is inherently unhealthy. Only in the current year with the idiotic fat acceptance movement does a question as dumb as this even need to be asked.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

No, it isn't. Being overweight increases your risk for heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer, etc. It is, by every conceivable metric, unhealthy.

And I say this as someone who is overweight.
Last edited by Nova Cyberia on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10941
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

No, it isn't. Being overweight increases your risk for heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer, etc. It is, by every conceivable metric, unhealthy.

And I say this as someone who is overweight.

It means you're on average more likely to have or get those things. Here's the thing, though. People who are perfectly healthy and actually fine in terms of fat, cholesterol, etc. may be classified as overweight because they have too much muscle mass. Being overweight isn't the problem; being unhealthy is. In fact, many people who are normal weight are less healthy than some people who are overweight.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
NERVUN
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 29420
Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Right-wing Utopia

Postby NERVUN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes.

What a silly question.

BMI is of course not the best way to determine if you are overweight and as I understand it, many doctors don't use it to say so. It, like your scale number, is just a quick and handy way to let you know you might want to get this checked by an actual medical professional.

Who is not a talking head on TV.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

User avatar
Agarntrop
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1265
Founded: May 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm

yes
End Child Marriage In the U.S. #18NoExceptions
You don't need to know what my pro and anti are as long as you know I think the Alt-Right and SJWs are both irritating and demented.
[| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!
Copy and paste this into your sig if you like croissants and think they are more important than gender and sex.

User avatar
Nova Cyberia
Senator
 
Posts: 4456
Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:No, it isn't. Being overweight increases your risk for heart disease, high cholesterol, cancer, etc. It is, by every conceivable metric, unhealthy.

And I say this as someone who is overweight.

It means you're on average more likely to have or get those things. Here's the thing, though. People who are perfectly healthy and actually fine in terms of fat, cholesterol, etc. may be classified as overweight because they have too much muscle mass. Being overweight isn't the problem; being unhealthy is. In fact, many people who are normal weight are less healthy than some people who are overweight.

Yeah it is. And guess what? If you're more likely to get those things then you're unhealthy.

Sure, plenty of skinny people are unhealthy. That still does not change the fact that being overweight increases your chances of getting any number of unsavory things. Other people being unhealthy is irrelevant.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10941
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:It means you're on average more likely to have or get those things. Here's the thing, though. People who are perfectly healthy and actually fine in terms of fat, cholesterol, etc. may be classified as overweight because they have too much muscle mass. Being overweight isn't the problem; being unhealthy is. In fact, many people who are normal weight are less healthy than some people who are overweight.

Yeah it is. And guess what? If you're more likely to get those things then you're unhealthy.

Sure, plenty of skinny people are unhealthy. That still does not change the fact that being overweight increases your chances of getting any number of unsavory things. Other people being unhealthy is irrelevant.

I like how you ignored the key part. And it's not that being overweight directly causes you to be more likely to have e.g. high cholesterol, but that if you have high cholesterol you're also likely to be overweight (a correlation rather than causation).
Last edited by Cekoviu on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(insert edgy reference to other people's signatures here)
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alta Californians, Ameriganastan, Antityranicals, ArenaC, Bombadil, Cappuccina, Chukstik Illahi, Crockerland, Diarcesia, Fartsniffage, Galloism, Godular, Grand Britannia, Heloin, Merriwhether, Napkizemlja, Necroghastia, Philjia, Salus Maior, San Lumen, Sangamonia, Shrillland, The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp, The Emerald Legion, The Sapiens, The Two Jerseys, Tlaceceyaya

Advertisement

Remove ads