NATION

PASSWORD

The Great Skin Tone Thread: Fifty Shades Dark

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What skin tone are you?

Type I
19%
Type II
48%
Type III
20%
Type IV
10%
Type V
2%
Type VI
1%

Total votes : 81

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:29 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:I see you ignored my post. It's again context-dependent, because although it may work in any climate, it won't be the best in every one. Darker types are still better if you're in the Congo and lighter types are if you're just sitting in the Arctic.

your skin can adapt though to other climates. It isn't restricted to one. It has the ability to tan but isn't always tan or pale

Yes, it does. That doesn't mean it's the best. Combined shampoo and conditioner works for multiple purposes, but is still not as good for those specific purposes as using independent shampoo and conditioner.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:33 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
your skin can adapt though to other climates. It isn't restricted to one. It has the ability to tan but isn't always tan or pale

Yes, it does. That doesn't mean it's the best. Combined shampoo and conditioner works for multiple purposes, but is still not as good for those specific purposes as using independent shampoo and conditioner.

Well, then that's your view on it. In my opinion though, it's better to have skin that works alright in different climates than to have skin that's perfect for one, but a burden in another
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am

I still haven't recovered from the sunburn I got Labor Day Weekend. That should clue you into my skin tone.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:36 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Yes, it does. That doesn't mean it's the best. Combined shampoo and conditioner works for multiple purposes, but is still not as good for those specific purposes as using independent shampoo and conditioner.

Well, then that's your view on it. In my opinion though, it's better to have skin that works alright in different climates than to have skin that's perfect for one, but a burden in another

Depends on your lifestyle, I'd say. When human clines originally diverged, there was much less travel. With the more globalized world in which we live, it may be generally better to have a medium skin type.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:38 am

Bear Stearns wrote:I still haven't recovered from the sunburn I got Labor Day Weekend. That should clue you into my skin tone.

Financial executives and three-day tanning bed binges should not mix.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am

Pacomia wrote:Why don’t Inuits have pale skin

Humans as a species were originally brown (so yes Type III -IV), White skin is a genetic defect which arose in early Nordic populations and then spread due to its adaptive advantage and probably sexual selection.
The adaptive advantage relates to Vitamin-D, as fair skin is able to absorb more UV from the sun in high latitudes. It also appears that fair skin is less prone to frostbite. People with fair skins in northern lands thus tended to be healthier and so were more likely to breed and pass on their fair-skin genes.

Inuit both never picked up the particular set of genes coding for white skin and also get sufficient Vitamin D from their diets. They also have a couple of other unique adaptions that allow them to thrive in the artioc climate and stay tanned.
Last edited by Cetacea on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am

I am going to raise an eyebrow at the OP's description of the "Nordic" skintype as being unable to tan. I've seen plenty of platinum blonde, blue-eyed Swedes, Germans, etc who get as tanned as the natives when on vacation in places like Spain, Greece and the like. If anything, it's gingers who seem unable to get a tan.

EDIT:

For the record, I'd probably register as type 2, as I'm rather pale during winter but can get a tan during summer.
Last edited by Baltenstein on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Forsher wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:I still haven't recovered from the sunburn I got Labor Day Weekend. That should clue you into my skin tone.

Financial executives and three-day tanning bed binges should not mix.

No tanning bed, just boating around with my shirt off while hammered.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Baltenstein wrote:I am going to raise an eyebrow at the OP's description of the "Nordic" skintype as being unable to tan. I've seen plenty of platinum blonde, blue-eyed Swedes, Germans, etc who get as tanned as the natives when on vacation in places like Spain, Greece and the like. If anything, it's gingers who seem unable to get a tan.

EDIT:

For the record, I'd probably register as type 2, as I'm rather pale during winter but can get a tan during summer.

Germans often have type III skin as well as type 1 and 2. Based on my own experiences though it's extremely rare for a person of Nordic heritage to not totally burn in the sun
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:03 pm

Ouch

Shaktur
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaktur » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:52 am

I can state anecdotally that black people ("type VI," far as I'm aware it's not politically incorrect to call people black in casual context at least at present) do in fact tan, despite statements in OP. I knew a black friend in highschool who always wore metal band armbands and his forearms were a significantly lighter but still obviously melanous (melanific? melanin-bearing?) colour underneath.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:52 am

Probably a Type 2.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 am

Type 4 for me, I can roast in the sun for hours on end and not burn. It's great.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 am

Shaktur wrote:I can state anecdotally that black people ("type VI," far as I'm aware it's not politically incorrect to call people black in casual context at least at present) do in fact tan, despite statements in OP. I knew a black friend in highschool who always wore metal band armbands and his forearms were a significantly lighter but still obviously melanous (melanific? melanin-bearing?) colour underneath.

Type VI isn't all black americans. Really light skin black Americans have Type IV skin, your average black American skin tone is like type V and type VI is like dark skinned. So if he was light skinned, he could tan
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

GLDF
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby GLDF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Easy question first. I only get burnt when I'm in the Sun for long hours over the span of the week and I don't have sunblock on. I run daily I have no problem with it. It probably isn't as sunny in MN though.

For tone, I'm going to assume I'm three or four. My skin is a bit different because and my relatives range from looking obviously and undoubtedly black (despite being only partly so) to 100% white English. I would say my mother is 4-5 while my father is 2. My brother is lighter than me. My extended family's skin also looks different.

Edited for spelling, no I don't have a son.
Last edited by GLDF on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nova Cyberia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:What's infinity plus one?

4?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm

GLDF wrote:Easy question first. I only get burnt when I'm in the Sun for long hours over the span of the week and I don't have sunblock on. I run daily I have no problem with it. It probably isn't as sunny in MN though.

For tone, I'm going to assume I'm three or four. My son is a bit different because and my relatives range from looking obviously and undoubtedly black (despite being only partly so) to 100% white English. I would say my mother is 4-5 while my father is 2. My brother is lighter than me. My extended family's skin also looks different.

so is your dad white and mom black?

GLDF
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby GLDF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
GLDF wrote:Easy question first. I only get burnt when I'm in the Sun for long hours over the span of the week and I don't have sunblock on. I run daily I have no problem with it. It probably isn't as sunny in MN though.

For tone, I'm going to assume I'm three or four. My son is a bit different because and my relatives range from looking obviously and undoubtedly black (despite being only partly so) to 100% white English. I would say my mother is 4-5 while my father is 2. My brother is lighter than me. My extended family's skin also looks different.

No. My dad is white and my mom is latina but multiracial. White/indigenous and mixed black. I think I remember some terminology but it's not much more complicated than that other than a few other things.
Nova Cyberia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:What's infinity plus one?

4?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:17 pm

GLDF wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

No. My dad is white and my mom is latina but multiracial. White/indigenous and mixed black. I think I remember some terminology but it's not much more complicated than that other than a few other things.

So mulatta?

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm a bit on the darker side (4) because of tanning, but older images of me show I am a natural 3.
All shall tremble before me

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:I'm a bit on the darker side (4) because of tanning, but older images of me show I am a natural 3.

You wouldn't be a 4. you may be darker than if you stay out of the sun but the skin types are not based simply on skin color. My skin tone is the same as some of my light skinned black friends but I have type III skin while they have type IV.their skin is always this color while mine tans to this tone, so while I'm as dark as them now, I'm still type III

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:I'm a bit on the darker side (4) because of tanning, but older images of me show I am a natural 3.

You wouldn't be a 4. you may be darker than if you stay out of the sun but the skin types are not based simply on skin color. My skin tone is the same as some of my light skinned black friends but I have type III skin while they have type IV.their skin is always this color while mine tans to this tone, so while I'm as dark as them now, I'm still type III

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion.
All shall tremble before me

TURTLESHROOM II
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Based on how my family can tan, Type II. We are definitively white and have an all-white background tracing from the United Kingdom and Germany. We can all get actual tans if we use equipment or lay out in the sun all day, so Type I is impossible. Type III approaches an olive skin tone, so that's a guaranteed no by our genes.

In the summer, my maternal grandfather is outside working every day he can, from about 6:00 AM to nine or ten o'clock in the evening. He has had a perfect tan all my life. It seriously looks like Type IV. His backside, we joke, is Type I.

In the Winter, his tan goes down to a three. My littlest first cousin once said "you know it's winter when [TS' grandfather] turns white".
Last edited by TURTLESHROOM II on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
World Factbook
First Constitution
Legation Quarter
"NOOKULAR" STOCKPILE: 701,033 fission and dropping, 7 fusion.
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

Lillorainen wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 4/6/2024 AD):

As TS adapts to new normal, large flagellant sects remain -|- TurtleShroom forfeits imperial dignity -|- "Skibidi Toilet" creator awarded highest artistic honor for contributions to wholesome family entertainment (obscene gestures cut out)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion.

you don't need to apologize. your confusion didn't kill anyone *looks out window* I hope

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Over 80% of NSG is of European descent. News at 11.

Based on the OP I’d say I’m Type III, with some of my extended family members being Type IV.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Type 1 I guess
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General