NATION

PASSWORD

Harry Potter Books Banned For "Real Spells And Curses"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Justified.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:39 pm

I mean, if you're going to ban the Harry Potter books, ban them because they have shoddy world-building that makes little to no sense.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana
Minister

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Page wrote:There was a joke I had in mind that involved a stick, the words avada kedavra, and a trip to Washington DC, but I'll keep it to myself.

:rofl:
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
Corporatism and Corporatocracy are completely different things
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

What exactly are they getting to? Any mention of curses is illegal for that reverend?
Not an adherent of Italian Fascism anymore, leaning more and more towards Falangist Syndicalism
9axes
Pro: Falange, Command Economy, Class-Cooperation, Cultural Nationalism, Authoritarianism, Third Positionism, Border Security
Anti: Communism, Laissez-Faire Capitalism, Trump, Globalism, Racism, Democracy, Immigration

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:I mean, if you're going to ban the Harry Potter books, ban them because they have shoddy world-building that makes little to no sense.

Why does fantasy world-building have to make sense? Suspend your sense of disbelief. If Boris Johnson can suspend Parliament, surely you can do that.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:I mean, if you're going to ban the Harry Potter books, ban them because they have shoddy world-building that makes little to no sense.

Why does fantasy world-building have to make sense? Suspend your sense of disbelief. If Boris Johnson can suspend Parliament, surely you can do that.

My main gripe with the Wizarding World is, as I may or may not have previously stated, the absolute and utter bollocks (morally speaking, at least) that is the International Statute of Secrecy.

EDIT: So I just found out that apparently the phrase "dog bollocks" can refer to something admirable? So I changed it to just "bollocks" to demonstrate that I find the Statute of Secrecy to be morally reprehensible.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:48 pm

I never liked the HP books, they have horrible world building, intense plot armor, and a story that really leaves me dissatisfied. The books completely ignore the basic frame of any good story, exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, conclusion
9axes

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:48 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Why does fantasy world-building have to make sense? Suspend your sense of disbelief. If Boris Johnson can suspend Parliament, surely you can do that.

My main gripe with the Wizarding World is, as I may or may not have previously stated, the absolute and utter dog bollocks (morally speaking, at least) that is the International Statute of Secrecy.

Again: see Sense of Disbelief, Suspension of.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Gormwood wrote:Appointing this reverend high school principal has to be one of the lesser mistakes the Catholic Church made.

While I'm not going to defend a clearly silly position, this priest may be a qualified man outside of certain foolish or uninformed personal beliefs. I also don't believe that this reflects on the entire Catholic Church, but rather the Diocese who organizes things within their schools.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
My main gripe with the Wizarding World is, as I may or may not have previously stated, the absolute and utter dog bollocks (morally speaking, at least) that is the International Statute of Secrecy.

Again: see Sense of Disbelief, Suspension of.

I can't suspend my disbelief on this, Farn. The Statute of Secrecy is immoral in that it requires the perpetuation of falsehoods without good reason (aside from misplaced paranoia on the end of the Wizarding World), and should be abolished to enable the free exchange of ideas between the Wizarding World and the Muggle World. As but one of many possible examples, think of how the discovery of magic would revolutionize our current understanding of physics. Magitech, anyone?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Again: see Sense of Disbelief, Suspension of.

I can't suspend my disbelief on this, Farn. The Statute of Secrecy is immoral in that it requires the perpetuation of falsehoods without good reason (aside from misplaced paranoia on the end of the Wizarding World), and should be abolished to enable the free exchange of ideas between the Wizarding World and the Muggle World. As but one of many possible examples, think of how the discovery of magic would revolutionize our current understanding of physics. Magitech, anyone?

Speaking of it in the present tense makes me think you take it way too seriously. It's not something serious, like ... like ... like people who insist that Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson are fictional characters.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Speaking of it in the present tense makes me think you take it way too seriously. It's not something serious, like ... like ... like people who insist that Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson are fictional characters.

I wasn't the only one who read Sorcerer's Stone Philosopher's Stone as a kid and thought that the reasoning given behind the separation between Wizarding and Muggle Worlds was a crock of shit, right? Right? Right?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Speaking of it in the present tense makes me think you take it way too seriously. It's not something serious, like ... like ... like people who insist that Mr. Holmes and Dr. Watson are fictional characters.

I wasn't the only one who read Sorcerer's Stone Philosopher's Stone as a kid and thought that the reasoning given behind the separation between Wizarding and Muggle Worlds was a crock of shit, right? Right? Right?

:)

I bet kids have tried each and every one of those spells countless times and yet, no reports of strange happenings or demons ravaging the countryside or any of that.

Auristania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Auristania » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Why does fantasy world-building have to make sense? Suspend your sense of disbelief. If Boris Johnson can suspend Parliament, surely you can do that.

My main gripe with the Wizarding World is, as I may or may not have previously stated, the absolute and utter bollocks (morally speaking, at least) that is the International Statute of Secrecy.
Indeed, Statute of Secrecy is an evil moral principle just like Prime Directive in Star Trek and Fixed point in Time in Dr Who, therefore ban all stories.
EDIT: So I just found out that apparently the phrase "dog bollocks" can refer to something admirable? So I changed it to just "bollocks" to demonstrate that I find the Statute of Secrecy to be morally reprehensible.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Auristania wrote:

Indeed, Statute of Secrecy is an evil moral principle just like Prime Directive in Star Trek and Fixed point in Time in Dr Who, therefore ban all stories.

I mean, the Prime Directive is a crock of shit as well...

Anyway, I'm not advocating "banning all stories"... if I may, where did you get that bit from? I was merely arguing that in-universe, the existence of the Statute of Secrecy isn't a good thing.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Apparently there's at least one priest whose calendar is a little off, mine says it's the 21st Century. If the Church wants to protect its young parishioners from mortal danger banning works of fiction is way, way down the list of things it might could do.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006

Postby Dazchan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Auristania wrote:

Anyway, I'm not advocating "banning all stories"... if I may, where did you get that bit from? I was merely arguing that in-universe, the existence of the Statute of Secrecy isn't a good thing.

People going into hiding following centuries of persecution is rarely a good thing.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Dazchan wrote:

People going into hiding following centuries of persecution is rarely a good thing.

In the HP universe, the Wizarding World maintains separation from the muggle world out of fear. An unjustified one at that, given how general attitudes in the Muggle World have changed quite a deal, whereas come to think of it the Wizarding World seems rather stagnant, no?

In addition, a line from Philosopher's Stone comes to mind. It's relatively early in the work, during a discussion between Harry and Hagrid before Harry goes off to Hogwarts. Harry asks Hagrid about why Wizards don't use their powers to help fix issues in the Muggle World, and Hagrid basically says, IIRC (albeit with some paraphrasing): "Because we don't want to be arsed to solve their problems", which didn't sit right with me when I first read it as a kid and seems downright callous now that I think back upon it.

Like, Wizards can achieve wondrous feats, and they have the potential to do so much good, but the Statute means that they can do fuck all (and broader Wizarding society views Muggles as borderline subhuman). I'm not the only one who views things this way, right?

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:08 pm

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the Statute is necessary for the narrative, and for all of J.K. Rowling's faults (especially on her Twitter feed) she is indeed capable of writing an engaging and entertaining narrative. Nevertheless...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:13 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:Don't get me wrong, I understand that the Statute is necessary for the narrative, and for all of J.K. Rowling's faults (especially on her Twitter feed) she is indeed capable of writing an engaging and entertaining narrative. Nevertheless...

This is verging on a thread-jack.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:Don't get me wrong, I understand that the Statute is necessary for the narrative, and for all of J.K. Rowling's faults (especially on her Twitter feed) she is indeed capable of writing an engaging and entertaining narrative. Nevertheless...

This is verging on a thread-jack.

Sorry Farn.

Anyway, as to my thoughts on the individual in the article, I find their ignorance regarding the content of the Harry Potter books to be almost saddening in a way, y'know? The Harry Potter books do not contain "real spells and curses", and indeed to my knowledge the magic system presented in the books has only superficial resemblances to "real" occult practices. I'm reminded of the scare regarding Dungeons & Dragons in the 1980s.

Latin Islands
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Latin Islands » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 pm

If only real spells and curses exist...

Think of the possibilities!
IC:
The Federation of Latin Islands
"D'un océan à l'autre"
A parliamentary democracy in The West Pacific.
OOC:
Have you experienced something so nostalgic that it hurts?
Likes animated series. Dislikes overgeneralizations.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Of course they're real. Arthur Conan Doyle was Watson's literary agent. Right?

Farnhamia wrote:

:)

I bet kids have tried each and every one of those spells countless times and yet, no reports of strange happenings or demons ravaging the countryside or any of that.

I dunno, man. I know a guy who knows a guy who tried one and accidentally turned his parents into toads.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:23 pm

Bombadil wrote:Ms Hammel did say the school would not stand in the way of students reading Harry Potter at their parents’ discretion.

How noble of them.

"We won't do something we legally aren't allowed to do."

Pretty nice.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Page wrote:There was a joke I had in mind that involved a stick, the words avada kedavra, and a trip to Washington DC, but I'll keep it to myself.

I do wonder if one would be convicted for attempted murder if they really. truly and genuinely believed that shouting avada kedavra at someone would kill them.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General