NATION

PASSWORD

Should everyone have a right to express their own opinion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:The ideal answer is everyone being free to speak.

That's where you're wrong.

Only people with educated and relevant opinions pertaining to a particular subject should be able to speak. Anyone else is just a layman who has no business commenting on things that they have no knowledge of.

Incorrect. Great solutions have come from Laymen speaking on things they don't actually understand or study.

Besides, if that were the case politicians would probably have to have their mouths screwed shut. You're just an elitist who doesn't like people criticizing your opinions.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

Only people with educated and relevant opinions pertaining to a particular subject should be able to speak. Anyone else is just a layman who has no business commenting on things that they have no knowledge of.

I'm sorry, didn't we have a discussion in a forum about consent in the eyes of English law where I explained to you how rape laws in England and Wales worked under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and the case law that interprets its provisions and you told me I was wrong about the law despite the fact that I've studied this specific subject in law school?
Last edited by Purgatio on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:06 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

Some of the biggest dumbshits I have known were educated; some highly. Relevance is rather limiting as does not allow for different angles of viewing the problem.

No knowledge of? Please tell CEO’s, Vice Presidents, managers and investors that viewpoint. Many comment on things they don’t understand all the time.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Vivolkha wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
Just to be clear, you're not suggesting repealing libel and harassment laws just because the threshold is ambiguous or there are gray areas in enforcement, right?

Defamation/libel laws are an unreasonable threat to freedom of speech. These laws are immensely prone to abuse and essentially used by powerful elements in society to protect themselves, for example by threatening legal actions after being justifiably accused of falsifying a curriculum (as in Spain) or rightfully calling a group Nazi. Also, this as well. Feeling "offended" does not equal "having your rights violated". At all. These laws should not exist.

In case of harassment laws, they can be reasonably justified, but depends on writing and interpretation (as with any law, honestly).

Furthermore, I stand by my previous quotation.

Yeah this is a pretty extreme point of view. Your ability to maintain your reputational integrity is as much a part of your dignity as the ability to be protected from trespass to the person or an invasion of privacy or breach of confidence, there's nothing more humiliating and debasing than having your public image tarnished and destroyed without your consent when its not even true and your ability to build a reputation is an indelible part of your associative identity as a human being. I can't believe anyone would sensibly suggest the repeal of libel and defamation laws.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:43 pm

You should have a right to express it, but too many people confuse the right to express opinions with the right to be protected from attacks on those opinions and their character. The whole point of freedom of expression is to be able to effectively sort good ideas from bad ideas, and we can't do that if we treat all opinions with kid gloves and reverence.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

I had a jolly good laugh at this post.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:Incorrect. Great solutions have come from Laymen speaking on things they don't actually understand or study.

No they haven't.

Besides, if that were the case politicians would probably have to have their mouths screwed shut.

You can thank me later.

You're just an elitist who doesn't like people criticizing your opinions.

I prefer the term "educated".

Galloism wrote:I had a jolly good laugh at this post.

I had you in mind when I wrote it.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:00 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Galloism wrote:I had a jolly good laugh at this post.

I had you in mind when I wrote it.

I definitely had you in mind when I read it.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:No knowledge of? Please tell CEO’s, Vice Presidents, managers and investors that viewpoint. Many comment on things they don’t understand all the time.

I'd be more than happy to. Preventing those kinds of people from expressing asinine opinions would undoubtedly be of great benefit to Western society.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Some of the biggest dumbshits I have known were educated; some highly. Relevance is rather limiting as does not allow for different angles of viewing the problem.

No knowledge of? Please tell CEO’s, Vice Presidents, managers and investors that viewpoint. Many comment on things they don’t understand all the time.

Daily reminder trump has a bachelors degree in economics.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:No knowledge of? Please tell CEO’s, Vice Presidents, managers and investors that viewpoint. Many comment on things they don’t understand all the time.

I'd be more than happy to. Preventing those kinds of people from expressing asinine opinions would undoubtedly be of great benefit to Western society.

I'd like to prevent people who have never had a meaningful relationship from pontificating on them too. I'd also like a private flying island suspended by magic, if you have time.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Purgatio wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

I'm sorry, didn't we have a discussion in a forum about consent in the eyes of English law where I explained to you how rape laws in England and Wales worked under the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and the case law that interprets its provisions and you told me I was wrong about the law despite the fact that I've studied this specific subject in law school?

No, I don't believe we did.

Galloism wrote:Daily reminder trump has a bachelors degree in economics.

Daily reminder a qualification doesn't equate to being educated. It demonstrates either the ability to pass a set of exams, or the ability to pay someone to pass them for you.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Galloism wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

I'd like to prevent people who have never had a meaningful relationship from pontificating on them too. I'd also like a private flying island suspended by magic, if you have time.

Hey now! Can I have an island too? Promise to keep a respectful distance! :)
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Purgatio
Negotiator

Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:08 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Purgatio wrote:

No, I don't believe we did.

We definitely did, in the context of a thread you started about rape victims who report an assault giving their phones to the police as evidence.

You literally disputed how cross-examination worked in court and when I pointed out, from my legal internship experience, that if you try and slut-shame a rape victim by bringing out her sexual history in open court before a jury, the Prosecution's gonna object and the judge will end that line of questioning from being inflammatory, and you disagreed saying it was "legally irrelevant" and "if it works, it works", to someone whose both been in law school and was describing exactly what happened in courtroom during my internships.

How's that square with your whole "people should shut up about things they aren't educated on specifically"?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Purgatio wrote:We definitely did, in the context of a thread you started about rape victims who report an assault giving their phones to the police as evidence.

Did we?

You literally disputed how cross-examination worked in court and when I pointed out, from my legal internship experience, that if you try and slut-shame a rape victim by bringing out her sexual history in open court before a jury, the Prosecution's gonna object and the judge will end that line of questioning from being inflammatory, and you disagreed saying it was "legally irrelevant" and "if it works, it works", to someone whose both been in law school and was describing exactly what happened in courtroom during my internships.

How's that square with your whole "people should shut up about things they aren't educated on specifically"?

I wouldn't know, I don't remember having this conversation.

Galloism wrote:I'd like to prevent people who have never had a meaningful relationship from pontificating on them too. I'd also like a private flying island suspended by magic, if you have time.

You'd be out of luck on both, I'm afraid.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:I'd like to prevent people who have never had a meaningful relationship from pontificating on them too. I'd also like a private flying island suspended by magic, if you have time.

Six months later.....
Last edited by Galloism on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

You'd be out of luck on both, I'm afraid.

Someone told me that's unfortunate.

Costa Fierro wrote:

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 pm

I would not oppose restrictions on free speech based on evidence.

In rough form: you are allowed to make any claim, no matter how offensive or abnormal as you desire, as long as you can provide some reasoning and evidence that has not already been debunked a 1000 times.

So someone who believes the holocaust never happened and that it was all a Jewish conspiracy would be allowed to say so, but only if they can provide some new evidence to support their hypotheses. And subsequently not whine if others tear his evidence to shreds.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Six months later.....

Get out of my head!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:26 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:I would not oppose restrictions on free speech based on evidence.

In rough form: you are allowed to make any claim, no matter how offensive or abnormal as you desire, as long as you can provide some reasoning and evidence that has not already been debunked a 1000 times.

So someone who believes the holocaust never happened and that it was all a Jewish conspiracy would be allowed to say so, but only if they can provide some new evidence to support their hypotheses. And subsequently not whine if others tear his evidence to shreds.

Who makes the decision as to what a “debunking” is, and who keeps count?

Volkish Amerika
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volkish Amerika » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 pm

They have a right to express their opinion, but they should be prepared for whatever comes about from expressing said opinion.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Volkish Amerika wrote:They have a right to express their opinion, but they should be prepared for whatever comes about from expressing said opinion.

Sounds like North Korea.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:I would not oppose restrictions on free speech based on evidence.

Humans are too irrational and prone to social signalling for that system to work because it seems that the only people who may like it are you and a few STEM folks including me.
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Volkish Amerika
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 24, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Volkish Amerika » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Neko-koku wrote:
Volkish Amerika wrote:They have a right to express their opinion, but they should be prepared for whatever comes about from expressing said opinion.

Sounds like North Korea.

Pardon me, but how does what I said even remotely sound like North Korea?

Neko-koku
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Volkish Amerika wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:Sounds like North Korea.

Pardon me, but how does what I said even remotely sound like North Korea?

Even in North Korea there is technically perfect free speech, just not freedom after the speech!
Last edited by Neko-koku on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General