NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Habemus Papam!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:58 pm

I just realized that I don't know if I can celebrate Christmas anymore. :blink:
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Geneviev wrote:I just realized that I don't know if I can celebrate Christmas anymore. :blink:

Sure you can. The holiday is as much about family and friends as it is about Baby Jesus. It's not like he was actually born on December 25th.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 pm

I celebrate any holiday that feeds me. Sure Thanksgiving is a crock and Big J wasn't born on Christmas, but I get pie on both holidays. Good enough reason to celebrate for me.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Geneviev wrote:I just realized that I don't know if I can celebrate Christmas anymore. :blink:

do it like the rest of us christian-knowing pagans and use the date to nab yourself a day out shopping

or a date

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Sure you can. The holiday is as much about family and friends as it is about Baby Jesus. It's not like he was actually born on December 25th.

It's meant to be about Jesus. I don't think it would be the same.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:I celebrate any holiday that feeds me. Sure Thanksgiving is a crock and Big J wasn't born on Christmas, but I get pie on both holidays. Good enough reason to celebrate for me.

Thats a very good reason indeed. Nothing wrong with reaping the benefits if they are offering themself like that.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Duhon wrote:

do it like the rest of us christian-knowing pagans and use the date to nab yourself a day out shopping

or a date

I'll be in a church all day either way. :p

Ameriganastan wrote:I celebrate any holiday that feeds me. Sure Thanksgiving is a crock and Big J wasn't born on Christmas, but I get pie on both holidays. Good enough reason to celebrate for me.

Food is great. And it's one of the most important things in life.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Sure you can. The holiday is as much about family and friends as it is about Baby Jesus. It's not like he was actually born on December 25th.

I don't think Jesus cares honestly.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's meant to be about Jesus. I don't think it would be the same.

I don't think Jesus cares honestly.

No. But all of the things I used to do will care.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Sure you can. The holiday is as much about family and friends as it is about Baby Jesus. It's not like he was actually born on December 25th.

Okay, so make it about the ideas and not the divinity of Jesus. You know, love thy neighbor as thyself, be generous, don't be a dick. Or like Ameri said, make about food. Potato salad with frankfurter or wiener-sausages! Pea soup! Roasted duck or goose filled with plums, apples and raisins! Sausages! Ham! When I spent Christmas with Heinrich der Vogler and Queen Matilda, the King would go hunting and there was game on every table.

There are so many reasons to celebrate Christmas that aren't about Jesus as God.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Heloin wrote:I don't think Jesus cares honestly.

No. But all of the things I used to do will care.

Christmas is fun, have fun.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:No. But all of the things I used to do will care.

Christmas is fun, have fun.

Exactly.

And, Geneviev, people have reaffirmed their faith for far more trivial reasons than missing Christmas.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's meant to be about Jesus. I don't think it would be the same.

Okay, so make it about the ideas and not the divinity of Jesus. You know, love thy neighbor as thyself, be generous, don't be a dick. Or like Ameri said, make about food. Potato salad with frankfurter or wiener-sausages! Pea soup! Roasted duck or goose filled with plums, apples and raisins! Sausages! Ham! When I spent Christmas with Heinrich der Vogler and Queen Matilda, the King would go hunting and there was game on every table.

There are so many reasons to celebrate Christmas that aren't about Jesus as God.

I don't think anyone could have that much food. :p

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Geneviev wrote:

You can celebrate Christmas without it being about Jesus. People have done so for a very long time.

Think about what the spirit of Christmas embodies -- goodwill and consideration for others, a time to be with those you care about, a fresh start for the year ahead, a time to stuff your face with Christmas pudding... all possible with or without belief in God.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

You can celebrate Christmas without it being about Jesus. People have done so for a very long time.

Think about what the spirit of Christmas embodies -- goodwill and consideration for others, a time to be with those you care about, a fresh start for the year ahead, a time to stuff your face with Christmas pudding... all possible with or without belief in God.

You're forgetting the Messiah. Which seems to be worse without God. :p

All of those are nice, but I've always paid more attention to God, so I don't know how I will do anything now.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:30 pm

Geneviev wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:You can celebrate Christmas without it being about Jesus. People have done so for a very long time.

You're forgetting the Messiah. Which seems to be worse without God. :p

All of those are nice, but I've always paid more attention to God, so I don't know how I will do anything now.

Eat, drink, and be merry.

Edit: Don't drink, under aged drinking is not good. Bad Heloin!
Last edited by Heloin on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:You're forgetting the Messiah. Which seems to be worse without God. :p

Eat, drink, and be merry.

It's not going to be underaged drinking four months from now at home. :p

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Heloin wrote:Eat, drink, and be merry.

It's not going to be underaged drinking four months from now at home. :p

I'm shit at maths but that still means you'd be under aged for Christmas.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's not going to be underaged drinking four months from now at home. :p

I'm shit at maths but that still means you'd be under aged for Christmas.

Less underaged, at least.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Heloin wrote:I'm shit at maths but that still means you'd be under aged for Christmas.

Less underaged, at least.

I will not be responsible for encouraging young people to do things they shouldn't.

Again.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Less underaged, at least.

I will not be responsible for encouraging young people to do things they shouldn't.

Again.

Indeed. TET is a wholesome kind of place where the only thing we encourage young people to do is eat their vegetables and get a good night's sleep.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 pm

R.I.P. Laptop
2013-2019

Idk how I'm gonna afford another one. Guess I gotta choose between finally having a bed and getting a working laptop.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:R.I.P. Laptop
2013-2019

Idk how I'm gonna afford another one. Guess I gotta choose between finally having a bed and getting a working laptop.

The bed is probably a better investment if it'll get you good sleep.

In the laptop world, you aren't going to get much for $200 or less for a new machine. That's nothing. If you go up to $300 or more, you can get a pretty good machine that'd hold up to general use. You might be able to get a nice tablet or Chromebook for less (but that is a cloud based client where you just use it to surf the web or do Google Docs as opposed to storing anything locally or doing anything offline).

You can definitely get a good used laptop for under $150 on somewhere like Ebay. It'll be an older model, but it'd arguably have better specs if its a good IBM Thinkpad as opposed to an HP Stream 11 that's a newer model, but that'll suck far more still, if it has much less storage capacity and overall performance. The 32 GB of storage that comes with is an absolute joke, because Windows 10 alone takes up 22 GB and if updates are added in- under real world usage it just doesn't cut it.

The only way I can think of to make an HP Stream 11 useful in practice, is to get Windows 10 off of it in favor of a lightweight 32-bit Linux OS and relying on an SD card to add more storage to it. Out of the box, the lowest priced laptop offering at retail just really sucks from what I read; as to be hardly usable.
Last edited by Saiwania on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Heloin wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Less underaged, at least.

Again.

My motto has always been that you can't drink when you're dead. May as well while you're here.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:30 am

Good news is that I think I have fixed my laptop... For now...
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General