NATION

PASSWORD

Should parents be able to track their children?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:15 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:A camera on their ankle wouldn't see much. It'd just give some good views of the different varieties of dogshit around the neighbourhood.

The camera needs to be mounted on their head. It should be as bulky and conspicuous as possible, with enough weight to give little Timmy trouble if he wants to run anywhere.

How about a collar?

That could work.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:16 am

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Which makes sense given dogs are property.

As a societal action, we put GPS on our president and certain key members of Congress and the cabinet.

That'd be something that would actually lead me to sue the government I was elected to run if I ever got into that position. Assuming I couldn't just change it via executive order.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 am

Galloism wrote:As a societal action, we put GPS on our president and certain key members of Congress and the cabinet.

That'd be something that would actually lead me to sue the government I was elected to run if I ever got into that position. Assuming I couldn't just change it via executive order.

It's for their protection, in case they're ever kidnapped.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:18 am

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That'd be something that would actually lead me to sue the government I was elected to run if I ever got into that position. Assuming I couldn't just change it via executive order.

Oh I know that.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 am

Galloism wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:That'd be something that would actually lead me to sue the government I was elected to run if I ever got into that position. Assuming I couldn't just change it via executive order.

Give them a Nagant and a Glock, duh.
Or well, I actually threw a soccer ball at a person that attempted to kidnap me when I was 12. Just in case, I put a compass to his neck. The experience was really surreal. I was in court, but I was innocent because I was doing that in self-defense. What a surreal experience.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:26 am

Galloism wrote:People put gps on their dogs.

Which makes sense given dogs are property.

And yet ensuring some sort o similarf security for someones child by having some minor system where you know where they are if need me is incomprehensible? I do not even necessarily agree with it, but I dont really understand this logic either.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:40 am

Lanoraie II wrote:Only with the child's contractual consent, written without the parents in the same room and done every 6 months or so, and only with gps trackers. No audio or video.

I would consider getting a gps tracking app for a young child's phone/a watch, but only for safety, and because I believe in the Japanese way of letting your kids wander around town all they want (assuming it's not a bad place to live) with minimal supervision. Could be because that's how I was raised and I never got into trouble--granted, I was an extremely neurotic kid...so *I* was the parental supervision of the block. :rofl:

After they're 13 or so I'd trust them enough to not run into ongoing traffic or get into a stranger's van.

GPS tracking app for a watch? What kind of funky stuff is going on with technology that I don't know about? My watch tells me what time it is!

Either way, this (the link in OP's post) is a terrible invasion of privacy. Just because a child is a child doesn't mean he or she has no right to privacy. If the kid has a tendency to run away and be found in weird places, then I could see something like this, but for 99% of children this is a bloody overreach. What ever happened to letting kids be kids?
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Highever wrote:

And yet ensuring some sort o similarf security for someones child by having some minor system where you know where they are if need me is incomprehensible? I do not even necessarily agree with it, but I dont really understand this logic either.

You own your dog. You do not own your child.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 am

Highever wrote:And yet ensuring some sort o similarf security for someones child by having some minor system where you know where they are if need me is incomprehensible? I do not even necessarily agree with it, but I dont really understand this logic either.

Knock knock, it's PETA.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.

NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:53 am

Highever wrote:And yet ensuring some sort o similarf security for someones child by having some minor system where you know where they are if need me is incomprehensible? I do not even necessarily agree with it, but I dont really understand this logic either.

It's not like parents could have some sort of interest in their children's safety or anything.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 am

I think if my parents ever tried anything like that i'd murder them both.
Last edited by Aclion on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 am

Depends how old they are? At 5 yes. When they're 16, no. And when they're 20, you're just being weird at that point.

If my parents tried to track me as a kid, I would have found a way to defeat whatever they were using. I was a rebellious and out of control kid and I'm still a rebellious and out of control grown man, so i'd cheat the system in the end
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 am

Aclion wrote:I think if by parents ever tried anything like that i'd murder them both.

Damn, I mean there's what I was saying and then theres...that
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 am

Ghost Land wrote:
Lanoraie II wrote:Only with the child's contractual consent, written without the parents in the same room and done every 6 months or so, and only with gps trackers. No audio or video.

I would consider getting a gps tracking app for a young child's phone/a watch, but only for safety, and because I believe in the Japanese way of letting your kids wander around town all they want (assuming it's not a bad place to live) with minimal supervision. Could be because that's how I was raised and I never got into trouble--granted, I was an extremely neurotic kid...so *I* was the parental supervision of the block. :rofl:

After they're 13 or so I'd trust them enough to not run into ongoing traffic or get into a stranger's van.

GPS tracking app for a watch? What kind of funky stuff is going on with technology that I don't know about? My watch tells me what time it is!

Either way, this (the link in OP's post) is a terrible invasion of privacy. Just because a child is a child doesn't mean he or she has no right to privacy. If the kid has a tendency to run away and be found in weird places, then I could see something like this, but for 99% of children this is a bloody overreach. What ever happened to letting kids be kids?

We live in the age of helicopter parenting where people keep their kids inside all day and don't let them go past the driveway even when they're adults.

I know people who are fully grown and their parents still are so restrictive with them. Like come the actual fuck on, your kid is a grown man. Stop being such a wimp and let him be an adult for God's sake

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:10 am

Rojava Free State wrote:Depends how old they are? At 5 yes. When they're 16, no. And when they're 20, you're just being weird at that point.

If my parents tried to track me as a kid, I would have found a way to defeat whatever they were using. I was a rebellious and out of control kid and I'm still a rebellious and out of control grown man, so i'd cheat the system in the end

Rebellious and out of control adults could rebel better.

NATIONAL Q&A

Cybus1
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Cybus1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 am

I'm 21, so I'm hardly a child, but I still live with my parents while I attend college, and can offer some first-hand experiences with this. My mother insists I (and my sister) use this software called Life 360 so she can track us, see where we are because we have a tendency not to text her when we arrive at our destination. We've used it for the past two or three years. It is annoying, mostly because of the implication that she does not trust me to drive myself and my sister to work and back, and the fact that she wants to know where we are all the time.
Last edited by Cybus1 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't use NS stats, please refer to the factbooks. Terms to use: Cybus, Cybusian, The Infinite Cybusian Empire. Feel free to TG with suggestions, comments, feedback, questions, etc, especially about factbooks.
Regal and powerful; they carry an air about them that is inherently oppressive, the air of a trillion years of ancestry. -Kaedijork.
Great Gatsby, featuring some shape-shifting ability and more sci-fi elements. - Zitravgrad

Our Military
New Q&A!
News: / Sons of Mercer raid on foreign Human colony results in over 10,500 deaths or Consumptions in only two hours; dropships flee through Jaunt portal, escape. Imperial govt offers to assist investigation.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:49 am

Cybus1 wrote:I'm 21, so I'm hardly a child, but I still live with my parents while I attend college, and can offer some first-hand experiences with this. My mother insists I (and my sister) use this software called Life 360 so she can track us, see where we are because we have a tendency not to text her when we arrive at our destination. We've used it for the past two or three years. It is annoying, mostly because of the implication that she does not trust me to drive myself and my sister to work and back, and the fact that she wants to know where we are all the time.

I know how to play funny games with that particular software. Want a tutorial?

Cybus1
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Cybus1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 am

Cybus1 wrote:I'm 21, so I'm hardly a child, but I still live with my parents while I attend college, and can offer some first-hand experiences with this. My mother insists I (and my sister) use this software called Life 360 so she can track us, see where we are because we have a tendency not to text her when we arrive at our destination. We've used it for the past two or three years. It is annoying, mostly because of the implication that she does not trust me to drive myself and my sister to work and back, and the fact that she wants to know where we are all the time.

I know how to play funny games with that particular software. Want a tutorial?

Hmmm. I am tempted, but I suspect that would just get me yelled at.
I don't use NS stats, please refer to the factbooks. Terms to use: Cybus, Cybusian, The Infinite Cybusian Empire. Feel free to TG with suggestions, comments, feedback, questions, etc, especially about factbooks.
Regal and powerful; they carry an air about them that is inherently oppressive, the air of a trillion years of ancestry. -Kaedijork.
Great Gatsby, featuring some shape-shifting ability and more sci-fi elements. - Zitravgrad

Our Military
New Q&A!
News: / Sons of Mercer raid on foreign Human colony results in over 10,500 deaths or Consumptions in only two hours; dropships flee through Jaunt portal, escape. Imperial govt offers to assist investigation.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 am

Eurgh, no. If anything kids need more freedom, not less. I'm a big fan of the "free-range parenting" promoted by Lenore Skenazy, so this would certainly run counter to that.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:01 am

Risastorstein wrote:If you are so scared of the outside world and/or don't trust your child, why having one in the first place? Will never understand this bullshit. Have a dog if you are so stressed about a kid.

Some people think of children as a cool accessory to have, something that they have to do because that’s what they where taught to do so, or something they can lord over and command to do things.

Usually those who use those reasons all end up abusing their children
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 am

God that just makes me so angry. It reminds me of how my best friend 's parents track him with this stupid app called friend finder and constantly are watching his every move. Now we can't even go to Dearborn without them getting bent out of shape

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 am

Cybus1 wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I know how to play funny games with that particular software. Want a tutorial?

Hmmm. I am tempted, but I suspect that would just get me yelled at.

There are lots of hints out there on how to trick Life 360, including this one: https://www.techjunkie.com/fake-location-life360/
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am

Until a certain age, then it's pretty fair that they do that. I'd say that 15 year olds and above are more than capable enough to be out of big mother's watch.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am

Highever wrote:

Children aren’t property but a human being with rights and an impressionable mind. Being a helicopter parent does absolutely nothing to help a child, neither does being a totally apathetic parent.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am

I'm already tracked on Life 360, but I'm able to track them as well.

So...
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General