NATION

PASSWORD

Should humanity be in such a hurry to get into space?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should wide scale space colonisation be a priority now?

Yes (Why?)
80%
No (Why not?)
20%

Total votes : 103

Springfeal
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Springfeal » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 pm

We have trashed the Earth beyond repair. Even if we reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by 80% right now (impossible), the Earth's climate will continue to get more hostile for decades to come. Couple that with our increasing population, increasingly strained food and fresh water supply, and depleting reserves of natural mineral sources, we really have no choice.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Considering the likelihood of another mass extinction event, I would say that we should attempt to colonize other worlds ASAP. The more spread out humanity is, the better its prospects of survival.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Cupofchar
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cupofchar » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:16 am

In a hurry? When man walked on the moon - I thought it would only be 10 more years 'til we had a moonbase and by the end of the millenia had a base on mars.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 am

Cupofchar wrote:In a hurry? When man walked on the moon - I thought it would only be 10 more years 'til we had a moonbase and by the end of the millenia had a base on mars.

It's technically possible and not horribly difficult.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:53 am

Yes, obviously. We have the tech and the knowledge to make it happen, plus it means our fate isn’t only tied to one planet. We should already have bases on the moon in my opinion.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Grosserdeutsches Reich
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Grosserdeutsches Reich » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:10 am

Springfeal wrote:We have trashed the Earth beyond repair. Even if we reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by 80% right now (impossible), the Earth's climate will continue to get more hostile for decades to come. Couple that with our increasing population, increasingly strained food and fresh water supply, and depleting reserves of natural mineral sources, we really have no choice.

You know how unwilling teenagers of the developed countries are to make children, right? The world population will peak at between 9 and 11 billion, then it'll start stagnating and ultimately declining.

The "food and water supply" is not strained, I don't know where that comes from

"Depleting reserves of natural mineral sources" is bullshit. Fossil fuels will run out in a few decades, but Earth is literally made out of natural mineral sources. They can supply us for thousands of years to come.

Previous

Return to General