NATION

PASSWORD

US military spending

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I believe we should cut military spending drastically. Cancel ships construction, get rid of the F-35, close down foreign bases. We could even consider cutting down on troop totals. There's no wars we need to be fighting right now.

So when Russia invades Europe or China invades Taiwan you just want to sit around and eat Cheetos? Also the fact that you think the "there is no war right now" argument is a legitimate one after history has proven that to be an extremely dangerous mindset is hard for me to comprehend.

It's not our problem if Russia invades Europe or China invades Taiwan. Why should we send our soldiers to their deaths when no Americans have been harmed? And I'll expand on my earlier statement. Unless the US or our citizens are directly attacked, there's no war we should fight ever. We've wasted enough of our young men on the problems of foreigners.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Loben The 2nd wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:I believe we should cut military spending drastically.(1) Cancel ships construction, (2)get rid of the F-35, (3)close down foreign bases. (4) We could even consider cutting down on troop totals. There's no wars we need to be fighting right now.

1. Hell no.

2. double hell no.

3. maybe some in Germany and transfer the equipment and personnel to Poland and the Baltics.

4. and a resounding fuck no to that.

A resounding fuck yes to all of them. Screw wasting money on foreigners. We always hear about how much they dislike us. So, they can starting solving their own problems.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:
1. Hell no.

2. double hell no.

3. maybe some in Germany and transfer the equipment and personnel to Poland and the Baltics.

4. and a resounding fuck no to that.

A resounding fuck yes to all of them. Screw wasting money on foreigners. We always hear about how much they dislike us. So, they can starting solving their own problems.

1: Blue Water force projection is what the Navy is pretty much for these days, cancelling ships would be a bad thing.
2: The F-35 program has it's problems with spending, but that's to say more about government mismanagement and waste then the jet itself. Plus we kinda need it to keep our edge as the current military setup relies on having a technological edge over our enemies instead of numerical superiority.
3: Yes to some, no to others. We need those bases to project and protect US interests globally.
4: Fuck, no. If anything, we actually need an increase in ground pounders across all branches.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:54 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:A resounding fuck yes to all of them. Screw wasting money on foreigners. We always hear about how much they dislike us. So, they can starting solving their own problems.

1: Blue Water force projection is what the Navy is pretty much for these days, cancelling ships would be a bad thing.
2: The F-35 program has it's problems with spending, but that's to say more about government mismanagement and waste then the jet itself. Plus we kinda need it to keep our edge as the current military setup relies on having a technological edge over our enemies instead of numerical superiority.
3: Yes to some, no to others. We need those bases to project and protect US interests globally.
4: Fuck, no. If anything, we actually need an increase in ground pounders across all branches.

1. We don't need projection since we don't need to be going to war with anyone. Nobody is dumb enough to attack us directly. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth several times over, and even if we cut the army in half would still have one of earth's largest militaries.
2. Don't go to war and you won't need an edge over anyone. Simple.
3.No, we really don't. The money we waste on them could go to more useful things.
4. See answers one and two. There's no need to send more kids to their death.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

1. We don't need projection since we don't need to be going to war with anyone. Nobody is dumb enough to attack us directly. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth several times over, and even if we cut the army in half would still have one of earth's largest militaries.
3.No, we really don't. The money we waste on them could go to more useful things.

That's a mighty simplistic view on things overall.

Hate to break it to you, but the world is a pretty violent place that pretty much requires equally violent people ready and able to respond as needed. Saying we don't need such things is naive at best, and also thermonuclear weapons are shit at holding ground objectives.

SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Grater Tovakia wrote:
So when Russia invades Europe or China invades Taiwan you just want to sit around and eat Cheetos? Also the fact that you think the "there is no war right now" argument is a legitimate one after history has proven that to be an extremely dangerous mindset is hard for me to comprehend.

It's not our problem if Russia invades Europe or China invades Taiwan. Why should we send our soldiers to their deaths when no Americans have been harmed? And I'll expand on my earlier statement. Unless the US or our citizens are directly attacked, there's no war we should fight ever. We've wasted enough of our young men on the problems of foreigners.

You do know there are US citizens in Europe and Taiwan right?

And that we have extensive trade with them right?

So that we absolutely would be impacted by such invasions.

Also we absolutely could be attacked. Pearl Harbor happened.
We cannot be militarily weak and protect our economy and citizens.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:1. We don't need projection since we don't need to be going to war with anyone. Nobody is dumb enough to attack us directly. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth several times over, and even if we cut the army in half would still have one of earth's largest militaries.

Hate to break it to you, but the world is a pretty violent place that pretty much requires equally violent people ready and able to respond as needed. Saying we don't need such things is naive at best, and also thermonuclear weapons are shit at holding ground objectives.

Exactly. In a dog eat dog world be a big, strong dog. Or dinner.
And yes nuclear weapons are grossly overrated.
As long as the enemy keeps the attacks below the threshold you are willing to respond with nuclear weapons they are useless.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm

We need to maintain our military spending, the political climate in our world is proof as that. Now I'm not sure if we should be spending more, depends if any new military projects are headed by China or Russia in my opinion.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:We need to maintain our military spending, the political climate in our world is proof as that. Now I'm not sure if we should be spending more, depends if any new military projects are headed by China or Russia in my opinion.

We would be better off overhauling current spending tendencies honestly, and eliminating the rampant waste that plagues the DOD.

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Danubia-Slavia wrote:We need to maintain our military spending, the political climate in our world is proof as that. Now I'm not sure if we should be spending more, depends if any new military projects are headed by China or Russia in my opinion.

We would be better off overhauling current spending tendencies honestly, and eliminating the rampant waste that plagues the DOD.

Do you mean by cutting spending? Or by helping clean up the mess and redirect funding on more important things in the DOD?

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Most of the waste irc is R&D stuff that doesnt go anywhere.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Do you mean by cutting spending? Or by helping clean up the mess and redirect funding on more important things in the DOD?

I mean exactly what I said.

The DOD is infamous in it's money mismanagement and outright waste. Going through current policies and either changing or eliminating some of the worst offenders to cut back on this mismanagement could save hundreds of millions if not billions every year. Which in turn could then be spent in other much needed areas, such as soldier base pay and retirement.

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Most of the waste irc is R&D stuff that doesnt go anywhere.

Placing money into R&D to prove/disprove ideas IMO isn't waste, it's just par for the course in that field.

I'll see if I can find the article again, but a great example was from several years ago when the DOD spent I think it was $100M to destroy $1B worth of small arms ammunition that was stuck in warehouses after the initial troop draw downs to make room for more ammunition still being produced.
Last edited by Paddy O Fernature on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Danubia-Slavia wrote:Do you mean by cutting spending? Or by helping clean up the mess and redirect funding on more important things in the DOD?

The DOD is infamous in it's money mismanagement and outright waste. Going through current policies and either changing or eliminating some of the worst offenders to cut back on this mismanagement could save hundreds of millions if not billions every year. Which in turn could then be spent in other much needed areas, such as soldier base pay and retirement.

I fully agree then! We need a complete re-haul

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:1. We don't need projection since we don't need to be going to war with anyone. Nobody is dumb enough to attack us directly. We have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the earth several times over, and even if we cut the army in half would still have one of earth's largest militaries.

That's not really our problem though. We just need to focus on staying out of other nations business. If anything, I think people who promote constant warmongering should put their money where their mouth is and enlist. Too many people are willing to fight pointless wars as long as It's someone else coming home in a body bag.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

That's not really our problem though. We just need to focus on staying out of other nations business. If anything, I think people who promote constant warmongering should put their money where their mouth is and enlist. Too many people are willing to fight pointless wars as long as It's someone else coming home in a body bag.

Curious, do you consider me one of those types?

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

I fully agree then! We need a complete re-haul

I agree as well. I support a strong military but fully support a audit and overhaul of the DOD to cut administrative redundancy and waste, so that money can be spent to improve the military by spending it better.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

Although I can agree about most of our involvement in the middle-east in that aspect, China has been threatening us and have been oppressing their own citizens. America and it's allies need to stand up for democracy and human rights for the good of everyone. Yes, I acknowledge we ourselves did bad things in the past, but they were all to stop a greater evil. Sometimes you just gotta fight fire with fire

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Novus America wrote:
Danubia-Slavia wrote:I fully agree then! We need a complete re-haul

I agree as well. I support a strong military but fully support a audit and overhaul of the DOD to cut administrative redundancy and waste, so that money can be spent to improve the military by spending it better.

I plan to join the navy if war breaks out, I gotta help in any way I can

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Novus America wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:It's not our problem if Russia invades Europe or China invades Taiwan. Why should we send our soldiers to their deaths when no Americans have been harmed? And I'll expand on my earlier statement. Unless the US or our citizens are directly attacked, there's no war we should fight ever. We've wasted enough of our young men on the problems of foreigners.

And you do know those citizens can be brought home right? And there's other countries we can trade with? Especially because our largest trading partner is china. So, if protecting trade is that big of a concern then going to war with them may not be the best idea. And wow, we were attacked once 80 years ago when our military was a tiny fraction of It's current strength. Truly this proves we must waste nearly a trillion dollars a year on our military (Sarcasm alert). Nobody is saying we have to be weak. I'm saying we have to stop sending our men to die for Europe's problems. How great is it for our economy if people who could've been doctors, lawyers, and professors are instead worm food because we have this needless obsession with playing world police? Hell, if anything we could've likely avoided 9/11 attacks had we not gone and inserted ourselves into situations that weren't our business.

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Novus America wrote:

And you do know those citizens can be brought home right? And there's other countries we can trade with? Especially because our largest trading partner is china. So, if protecting trade is that big of a concern then going to war with them may not be the best idea. And wow, we were attacked once 80 years ago when our military was a tiny fraction of It's current strength. Truly this proves we must waste nearly a trillion dollars a year on our military (Sarcasm alert). Nobody is saying we have to be weak. I'm saying we have to stop sending our men to die for Europe's problems. How great is it for our economy if people who could've been doctors, lawyers, and professors are instead worm food because we have this needless obsession with playing world police? Hell, if anything we could've likely avoided 9/11 attacks had we not gone and inserted ourselves into situations that weren't our business.

Why should we trade with an oppressive regime such as China ?Also, if we leave Europe to die alone, they'll come back with a vengeance, and it's not a good move for democracy as a whole either :/

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:That's not really our problem though. We just need to focus on staying out of other nations business. If anything, I think people who promote constant warmongering should put their money where their mouth is and enlist. Too many people are willing to fight pointless wars as long as It's someone else coming home in a body bag.

Although I can agree about most of our involvement in the middle-east in that aspect, China has been threatening us and have been oppressing their own citizens. America and it's allies need to stand up for democracy and human rights for the good of everyone. Yes, I acknowledge we ourselves did bad things in the past, but they were all to stop a greater evil. Sometimes you just gotta fight fire with fire

No, we don't have to do anything. It's no concern of ours what china does to its people. Having fewer Americans come home dead, injured, or insane from PTSD is far more important to me than whether or not China is a democracy.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm

The US military budget can be slashed and still do its job just fine.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:And you do know those citizens can be brought home right? And there's other countries we can trade with? Especially because our largest trading partner is china. So, if protecting trade is that big of a concern then going to war with them may not be the best idea. And wow, we were attacked once 80 years ago when our military was a tiny fraction of It's current strength. Truly this proves we must waste nearly a trillion dollars a year on our military (Sarcasm alert). Nobody is saying we have to be weak. I'm saying we have to stop sending our men to die for Europe's problems. How great is it for our economy if people who could've been doctors, lawyers, and professors are instead worm food because we have this needless obsession with playing world police? Hell, if anything we could've likely avoided 9/11 attacks had we not gone and inserted ourselves into situations that weren't our business.

Why should we trade with an oppressive regime such as China ?Also, if we leave Europe to die alone, they'll come back with a vengeance, and it's not a good move for democracy as a whole either :/

Screw democracy, our only responsibility is to ourselves. We should trade with china because there's no reason not to. It benefits us to trade with them. And even if Europe did come back, they couldn't threaten us. So I'm truly not concerned what they do.

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:Although I can agree about most of our involvement in the middle-east in that aspect, China has been threatening us and have been oppressing their own citizens. America and it's allies need to stand up for democracy and human rights for the good of everyone. Yes, I acknowledge we ourselves did bad things in the past, but they were all to stop a greater evil. Sometimes you just gotta fight fire with fire

No, we don't have to do anything. It's no concern of ours what china does to its people. Having fewer Americans come home dead, injured, or insane from PTSD is far more important to me than whether or not China is a democracy.

So you'd rather just leave billions of people to die and be oppressed elsewhere while we sit on our butts and laugh? How is our country any better if we turn our back on humanity?

Danubia-Slavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Danubia-Slavia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Danubia-Slavia wrote:Why should we trade with an oppressive regime such as China ?Also, if we leave Europe to die alone, they'll come back with a vengeance, and it's not a good move for democracy as a whole either :/

Screw democracy, our only responsibility is to ourselves. We should trade with china because there's no reason not to. It benefits us to trade with them. And even if Europe did come back, they couldn't threaten us. So I'm truly not concerned what they do.

So you only care about progress, and not freedom?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General