NATION

PASSWORD

Forgiving student loans seems dumb

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Forgiving student loans seems dumb

Postby Iwassoclose » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Forgiving student loans seems dumb because its treating the symptom and not the actual problem of the cost of education. Will they just reset the student debt and the now new incoming students get charged the same or even more because now the schools know that they can get away from charging people exorbitant amounts of money.

Its basically a I get mine and the future generations get saddled with debt. Its like the minneials complaining about boomers but have no problems doing the same to future generations at a different level.

Should student debt be forgiven in your opinion? And how much of that answer is tied to your own situation?
Last edited by Iwassoclose on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 pm

OK, so what are we to discuss? Are you going to make a point to debate? You've given your opinion, but need to clarify what you want people to discuss (which is obvious, the forgiving of student debt), but still, gotta state something and ask questions of others. ^^
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Debt and interest repayment should be respited until the Students in question have gotten a proper income/job to actually repay it. Which, given that they did visit University before and stuff, shouldn be really a problem.

See? problem fixed.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Student debt relief is not the only part of anyone's plan, they usually include measures to prevent further debt.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Letting people take out a mortgage worth of debt to earn a bachelors degree only to end up as waiters who can't support the economy is also dumb.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:41 pm

The solution is simple:

1. End all guarantees for student debt, the lender is always on the hook for losses if the borrower declares bankruptcy whether the government or private.
2. Make student loan debt dischargable in bankruptcy just like any other debt

If we do these two things, this entire fiasco will resolve itself within a few years.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:33 pm

New haven america wrote:Letting people take out a mortgage worth of debt to earn a bachelors degree only to end up as waiters who can't support the economy is also dumb.

yes because student loans clearly go for the typical range of 250-350k dollars
Awarded for Best Capitalist in 2018 NSG Awards ;')
##############################
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Vetalia wrote:The solution is simple:

1. End all guarantees for student debt, the lender is always on the hook for losses if the borrower declares bankruptcy whether the government or private.

If we do these two things, this entire fiasco will resolve itself within a few years.

>taking away loan guarantees
>"mmm yes thatll do to solve the issue"
you mean that's a perfect recipe to shoot up the interest rate over said debts lmao
Fmr. libertarian, irredeemable bank shill and somewhere inbetween classical liberalism and neoliberalism // Political Compass: +8.75 Economic, -2.25 Social (May 2019)

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 pm

Great Minarchistan wrote:

you mean that's a perfect recipe to shoot up the interest rate over said debts lmao

Hence my idea is much better.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Nakena wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:>taking away loan guarantees

student loans are rather flexible with repayment schedules, you can delay them by up to six months after graduation iirc, which solves the issue for the vast majority of those who've just left college

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Nakena wrote:

student loans are rather flexible with repayment schedules, you can delay them by up to six months after graduation iirc, which solves the issue for the vast majority of those who've just left college

I would delayment increase even, up to the point where the college graduate gets his proper income. Of course the actual sum of payback would then be even bigger in the long run.

If that isnt a win win i dont know what.

Sycar
Attaché

Founded: Mar 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sycar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:39 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:OK, so what are we to discuss? Are you going to make a point to debate? You've given your opinion, but need to clarify what you want people to discuss (which is obvious, the forgiving of student debt), but still, gotta state something and ask questions of others. ^^

Can we just take a moment to realize that this nation is 23 days younger than me
EDIT: like me as a person, not my nation
Last edited by Sycar on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we must return to monki as soon as possible

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Precisely, the interest rate will match the risk involved with the loan and the lenders will be on the hook for any losses incurred via bankruptcy. This was the way it worked in years past before student loan debt was guaranteed by the government and the loans were deemed to to be protected under bankruptcy filings, forcing the borrowers to repay no matter what. Not surprisingly, tuition rates and student debt exploded after these market-based factors were removed.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Nakena wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:student loans are rather flexible with repayment schedules, you can delay them by up to six months after graduation iirc, which solves the issue for the vast majority of those who've just left college

I would delayment increase even, up to the point where the college graduate gets his proper income. Of course the actual sum of payback would then be even bigger in the long run.

if you can't get a job within six months of jobseeking as a college undergrad then sorry, you're either looking at the wrong place or you won't manage to pay back your loan, ever

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Nakena wrote:

The problem is, your idea doesn't correct the perverse incentive at the root of the problem, mine does. Yours is basically the status quo in the US.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Nakena wrote:

if you can't get a job within six months of jobseeking as a college undergrad then sorry, you're either looking at the wrong place or you won't manage to pay back your loan, ever

Is there any statistic on how long they usually need to get a job?

Vetalia wrote:
Nakena wrote:

The problem is, your idea doesn't correct the perverse incentive at the root of the problem, mine does. Yours is basically the status quo in the US.

I am much more flexible when it comes to such economical perversions though.
Last edited by Nakena on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Vetalia wrote:Precisely, the interest rate will match the risk involved with the loan and the lenders will be on the hook for any losses incurred via bankruptcy. This was the way it worked in years past before student loan debt was guaranteed by the government and the loans were deemed to to be protected under bankruptcy filings, forcing the borrowers to repay no matter what. Not surprisingly, tuition rates and student debt exploded after these market-based factors were removed.

tuition inflation has been creeping above general inflation for a long time before govt guarantee of loans was even a thing, feel free to blame that either on undersupply of vacancies at top unis or on baumol's cost disease

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Vetalia wrote:Precisely, the interest rate will match the risk involved with the loan and the lenders will be on the hook for any losses incurred via bankruptcy. This was the way it worked in years past before student loan debt was guaranteed by the government and the loans were deemed to to be protected under bankruptcy filings, forcing the borrowers to repay no matter what. Not surprisingly, tuition rates and student debt exploded after these market-based factors were removed.

tuition inflation has been creeping above general inflation for a long time before govt guarantee of loans was even a thing, feel free to blame that either on undersupply of vacancies at top unis or on baumol's cost disease

This is not just tuition inflation, it is a byproduct of a fucked up system that has degenerated to a staggering degree in the past 10 years.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TOTALGOV
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SLOAS
Last edited by Vetalia on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 pm

New haven america wrote:Letting people take out a mortgage worth of debt to earn a bachelors degree only to end up as waiters who can't support the economy is also dumb.

My theory is that there are winners who can benefit from college and losers who can't benefit from college even if they went and earned that degree. I happened to be a loser, which means the path that was open to me before even going to college is the only one left, unless I can figure out something else at a future date.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:51 pm

Vetalia wrote:

Precisely, the interest rate will match the risk involved with the loan and the lenders will be on the hook for any losses incurred via bankruptcy. This was the way it worked in years past before student loan debt was guaranteed by the government and the loans were deemed to to be protected under bankruptcy filings, forcing the borrowers to repay no matter what. Not surprisingly, tuition rates and student debt exploded after these market-based factors were removed.

Hold on.

I agree with you here.

That forces stuff and makes it all worse. If borrowers end up in a situation where they cant repay then well... that happens. Every bank giving loans has that risk. As long as a sufficient amount of borrowers repay it though business should be running fine.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm

I mean, my older brother and I don't have to worry about student loan debt, given that my family (my father, in particular) can easily afford the costs of our university education... I'm still perturbed by my older brother choosing to pursue a communications major; he should have been like me and pursued a respectable profession in either medicine, law, or in my case engineering. Ah, but I've been sidetracked. The point is that for once I've no strong opinions on this.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Nakena wrote:
Vetalia wrote:

Hold on.

I agree with you here.

That forces stuff and makes it all worse. If borrowers end up in a situation where they cant repay then well... that happens. Every bank giving loans has that risk. As long as a sufficient amount of borrowers repay it though business should be running fine.

Just like any other debt. I honestly never understood why student loans have been treated differently than other debts. It makes no sense for them to follow you forever, even through bankruptcy. No other debt works that way, to my knowledge.
Insert trite farewell here

Great Minarchistan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Minarchistan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Great Minarchistan wrote:tuition inflation has been creeping above general inflation for a long time before govt guarantee of loans was even a thing, feel free to blame that either on undersupply of vacancies at top unis or on baumol's cost disease

This is not just tuition inflation, it is a byproduct of a fucked up system that has degenerated to a staggering degree in the past 10 years.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TOTALGOV
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SLOAS

"mmm yes look at those scary nominal increases, lets not take into account (a) inflation (b) pay rises (c) interest rates (d) number of students over time"
Last edited by Great Minarchistan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:I mean, my older brother and I don't have to worry about student loan debt, given that my family (my father, in particular) can easily afford the costs of our university education... I'm still perturbed by my older brother choosing to pursue a communications major; he should have been like me and pursued a respectable profession in either medicine, law, or in my case engineering. Ah, but I've been sidetracked. The point is that for once I've no strong opinions on this.

Ideally your family will refuse to pay the entirety of your university education.
Insert trite farewell here

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Forgiving is just dumb in general. I don't forgive, I don't forget, I cut myself on my own edge.
Last edited by Nouveau Quebecois on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General